For personal use and select distribution only © by Judith A., October 2006

No Greater Burden
By Judith A.

Chapter Five | Chapter Six | Chapter Seven

The emotionally draining events of the previous day had caused most everyone to sleep late the next morning, delaying the start of their journey. After a slow start, they experienced a subdued half-day of traveling in which, even the children, who were usually restless in the wagon, sat quiet and still, hardly speaking a word. Lacking the energy to push forward, they decided to stop early and rest for the night. Sully chose to set up camp at the bottom of a ridge, along a shallow stream, near a small group of cedar trees.

With the sun beginning its descent from the sky, Michaela and Dorothy pitched the tent for the children while Brian gathered wood for the fire. From atop the wagon, Sully handed the last of the bedrolls to Katie and Josef to place on the ground. He then finished unloading only those supplies that were needed for this evening. Tomorrow they would head out at first light and try to make up some of the ground they had lost on the trip so far.

At this rate of travel, it would be a week before they arrived at the Cheyenne and Arapaho Indian Agency. Sully hoped that Michaela was still willing to be flexible about their plans. He didn't want to cut short his visit with Cloud Dancing because it took them longer to reach the reservation. Throughout the day, his skepticism about Josef's story invaded his mind and he was finding it increasingly difficult to reason it away. Sully did his best to push the unsettling questions aside and move forward with the rest of their trip.

Satisfied that everything was ready for the night, Sully approached Michaela from behind, placed his hand on her shoulder and squeezed it briefly. "I'm gonna get us some supper."

She turned her head to look up at him. "All right. We'll have the fire ready when you return."

Sully turned to his children, who were seated by the side of the tent. "Why don't you both come fishin' with me?"

Katie closed her book and eagerly jumped to her feet. "Yeah, that'll be fun."

Josef remained seated on the ground, staring off in the direction they had come. He didn't say a word.

"How 'bout you, Joe?" Sully was concerned about how quiet he had been all day.

"I don't wanna go."

"Ya sure? Ya love fishin'," he gently pressed.

Josef nodded.

Sully studied his son, concerned about his state of mind. Josef hadn't been himself since Wolf died. If Sully had any lingering doubts about what he saw, they were slowly being dispelled by his son's behavior. He was growing more certain that Josef hadn't told them everything. For now, he would let it be, confident that his son would come to him in his own time. "All right, you stay here and help your ma." Sully looked backward over his shoulder to Michaela. "I'm gonna take Katie fishin' with me."

"Have fun," she replied. "If you see any of those wild onions, please bring some back."

Sully waved in acknowledgement of her request. With fishing rods and bucket in hand, father and daughter headed toward the stream. Along the way, they took turns pointing out the names of plants, trees, and birds. Katie loved birds; she kept a piece of paper near her window at home so she could write down the name of every new bird she saw. She also loved to identify the names of the plants and herbs in the woods, especially those her mother used in the clinic.

Katie ran ahead at the sight of an unusual plant. Kneeling down to examine it, she recognized it as one she had only seen once with her mother. "Guess what this one is," she said, certain she had stumped her father.

Sully smiled. "It's arnica."

Katie frowned and her shoulders slumped. "How'd you know?"

"Cloud Dancin' taught your ma an' me about arnica. It helps heal bruises." Before Katie had straightened to her full height, Sully swept her up in the air and lifted her onto his shoulders.

"Papa," Katie squealed with joy.

"Look in the nest," Sully said, revealing the reason for hoisting her in the air.

"There's an egg."

"What kind?"

Katie narrowed her eyes and studied the egg. "Uh…Oh, I know. It's a red tailed hawk," she said confidently.

"That's right," her father replied, pleased. "I bet Oklahoma has birds we never saw before."

"You think so," she replied, delighted.

"Yeah, I do." Sully continued to carry Katie on his shoulders until they reached the water's edge. Then he lowered her to the ground and watched as she crouched down in the dirt to dig for worms.

"Do you think Cloud Dancing will remember me?" Katie asked. She expertly affixed the worm to the end of the pole and placed it in the water.

"Sure he will," her father replied, lowering his pole into the water.

"I don't remember him," Katie revealed. "I know what you and Mama told me about him, but I don't remember things myself, from when he lived near us. I can't even remember what he looks like."

Sully swallowed hard. "That's why we're takin' this trip. So you and Josef can get ta know Cloud Dancin' again and the rest o' the Cheyenne."

"Why did Cloud Dancing go away?"

"He needed to live with his people…his tribe," Sully replied. Their conversation was momentarily interrupted by a tug on the end of his line. Sully stood and raised his pole out of the water, revealing a large trout.

"You got one!" Katie exclaimed, moving closer to examine the fish wiggling to free itself from the end of the line. She handed her father the bucket.

Sully took the fish off the hook and placed it in the bucket. "A few more and we'll have enough for supper."

"Why did Cloud Dancing go back to his tribe?" Katie asked, eager to learn more about her father's friend.

Sully returned his pole to the water. "Cloud Dancin's a medicine man. He's a real important person to the tribe, one that carries great responsibility. He needed to return ta his people ta teach the children 'bout bein' Cheyenne."

"Is he a doctor like Mama?"

"Doctorin' is part of it, but a medicine man is a spiritual leader for the people."

Katie didn't understand the distinction so she turned her attention to the fishing pole, impatient at not catching anything. "Will there be other kids at the reservation?"

"Yeah."

"Do they speak English?"

"I expect most of 'em are learnin' English in school, but it would be good if you learned some Cheyenne words to say to 'em."

"Like what?"

Sully stared into the stream and thought for a few moments. "We can start with water. Mahpe."

"Mahpe," Katie repeated.

"Good. Now try another one. Girl. He'eka'eskone."

"That's too hard. He'eka'…"

"eskone," Sully finished. "Here's an easier word. Ta tell someone I'm your father you say, 'ne'hyo."

"'Neho' - what?" Katie looked away in frustration. "I can't learn Cheyenne."

"Sure ya can. It was real hard for me the first time I heard it. And your ma learned some workin' at the reservation. We just have ta keep practicin' these words. People appreciate when ya try ta learn about their ways an' language. Not to expect 'em ta just learn our ways."

"I'll try."

Sully placed a comforting hand on the back of her head. "I know ya will, sweet girl."

At that moment Katie felt her line pull. Sully saw her struggling to maintain control of the pole and he leaned over to steady it for her, gripping it with his strong hands.

She shook off her father's hands. "No! I wanna do it myself!" Katie insisted.

"Katie, you can't hang onto that fish yourself. Let me help you."

"No! I can do it!" Katie stood and walked closer to the edge of the stream, pulling the fishing pole with all her might. Sully watched her stubborn attempt to hold onto the fish. Then, in an instant, Katie fell into the stream still holding onto her rod. Sully leapt to his feet to rescue her.

"I got it! I got it!" Katie yelled triumphantly, as she wiggled in the water to hang onto the fish. When she crawled back up, the fish was still attached to the pole. Her father helped her out of the water and lifted the fish off the line.

"Ya sure did." He shook his head with amusement. "It's times like this, you remind me most of your ma," Sully said, proud of the bold, determined spirit of his daughter.

Katie's eyes grew wide at the compliment. "I do?"

"Yeah, just like 'er." At the sight of his daughter, dripping wet from head to toe, Sully removed his shirt. He wrung out her hair, handed her his shirt, and suggested she change out of her wet clothes behind the tree. Sully knew Michaela wouldn't be pleased that Katie fell in the stream, but she'd be more upset if she got sick. When Katie emerged in the dry shirt, Sully draped her wet dress over his arm and the two headed back toward camp.

Father and daughter walked in companionable silence. After a few moments, Sully finally broached the topic that had been on his mind all day.

"Katie, how ya holdin' up since Wolf…?" Sully couldn't say the words. "Is there anythin' ya wanna talk ta me about?"

"I…I wish he was still with us," she said, her lip quivering.

"Me, too," Sully said, placing his arm around her shoulder. "You know I always try ta keep my promises." He paused to kneel down in front of her and placed both hands on her shoulders.

Katie looked up at him with bright brown eyes. "I know."

"Well…when I promised you and your brother that Wolf would be all right, I didn't know anythin' 'bout what happened. I never should have promised that without knowin' more."

Katie hugged her father. "I know you would have kept your word if you could."

Sully hugged her back even tighter. "Katie, I would have done anythin' ta keep that promise. It was just too late." He pulled back to look into her eyes. "So, you're not mad at me?"

"No."

"Good. How 'bout your brother?"

"He's real upset, but I don't think he's mad either."

"We'll both have to help him get through this," Sully said, as he rose to his feet and took Katie's hand in his. Hand-in-hand, father and daughter continued their trek back to the campsite.

* * * * *

The large, tan animal was in the air, heading right toward him. He was frozen in place with his hands over his eyes, his small body trembling in fear. Run, he told himself, run, run, run! But he couldn't move. Growls and screeches echoed in his head. A blur of gray fur tangled with tan. Large open mouths, sharp teeth, piercing eyes, and bright red blood, merged together like a collage. He ran and ran as fast as he could back to the campsite, through the woods, under low-hanging branches and around fallen logs. The sounds of deep snarls and yelps rang loud in his head. Images of Wolf in the woods playing with him, the lunging animal, teeth and blood, loud growls and screeches flashed like snapshots in his mind. And then, the silence.

Josef woke with a start, his heart chilled to ice. He was covered in sweat, his hair damp, and his body shaking from the visions in his sleep. Feeling disoriented, he drew a shuddering breath and looked around the tent. When he noticed his sister sleeping peacefully on the other side, he sighed, realizing he was safe. As the night visions came into sharper focus, Josef began to cry from fear and sadness. They were soft muffled sobs, into his arms so as not to wake his family. More than anything, he wanted to go to his parents. He wanted to feel his mother's arms around him and hear her soothing tone comforting him as she always did when he had a bad dream. Josef's tears flowed harder and faster at the knowledge that this was not just a bad dream. It had happened. And it had happened because of him.

Josef sat for several minutes weighed down by his grief. Wolf's death had been his fault and now nothing would ever be the same again. He could never tell his parents what had really happened. He couldn't tell anyone the bad thing he had done. No one would ever forgive me. Why did I follow those tracks, why? His father had told him that Wolf would watch out for him if he paid attention. Why didn't I remember? Why didn't I listen?

Wolf died angry with him. That Josef knew for certain. To make matters worse, he didn't honor Wolf at the burial. He refused to take the shovel and he didn't say a word, not even goodbye. Did Wolf know how much I loved him? How much I never wanted him to die? Josef felt he needed to do something to make things right again. He needed Wolf to know how sorry he was.

Josef made a decision. It was the only solution he could think of to make amends. I'll walk back to Wolf's grave and tell him I'm sorry. If Wolf knew how sorry he was, if he knew how much he loved him, maybe Josef wouldn't feel so awful inside. He closed his eyes tight, trying to picture the road they traveled that day. I remember how to get back. I can make it back alone.

After what happened in the woods with Wolf, he knew he had to be careful. This time, there would be no childish games. In losing Wolf, Josef had lost some of his innocence and had been taught a hard lesson about consequences. For this journey, he would be smart. He would draw on the lessons he learned from his father to get him to the grave and back. He would follow the stream next to the road and he would avoid all animal tracks. "If I leave now, and move quickly, I can make it back in time for lunch," he whispered into the cool night air.

Confident he could do this, he poked his head out of the tent. The sun had just begun to peek over the horizon, turning the sky a light shade of gray as it blended with the darkness of the night. Josef drew in a deep breath and reminded himself that he was a big boy now, fully capable of finding his way to the grave and back. He dressed, moving slowly and quietly around the tent so as not to wake Katie. Then he packed a small bag, tucking in his drawing of Wolf, the one of the two of them playing, to leave as an offering at his grave. Taking one last look around to make sure everyone was still asleep, he tiptoed out of the tent, pausing at the wagon to add a few pieces of fruit to his bag then disappeared into the dawn.

* * * * *

Michaela stirred, skimming on the surface of sleep. In the shadows, she saw the figure of her son walking down the road away from the campsite, a bag slung over his shoulder. She bolted upright on her bedroll, startled by the vision. When her confusion cleared and she realized she had been asleep, she breathed an audible sigh of relief. "It was only a dream," she murmured as her eyes looked out into the morning, blinking at its brightness. By the position of the sun in the sky, Michaela knew it was late morning already.

She looked over at Sully, sleeping soundly next to her, and smiled at the peaceful little-boy look on his face. He almost never slept this late, but having gotten no sleep the night before, it was evident he needed it. The camp was quiet and still and it appeared that everyone had overslept. Ready to begin the day, she rose quietly, careful not to disturb her husband, and made her way to the fire to start breakfast. On the way, she saw Dorothy returning from washing up at the stream.

"Good morning," Michaela called. She attempted to tame her unruly hair with a piece of rawhide. "How long have you been up?"

"About an hour. I already started the fire and made coffee." Dorothy handed Michaela a cup.

"Thank you."

"Is Sully feeling all right? I don't think I've ever known him to sleep this late," Dorothy remarked.

"Sully didn't get any sleep the night Wolf died. I think it all finally caught up with him, the children, too."

"Mornin'." Sully greeted. He joined them by the fire, having been woken by their voices.

"Good morning." Dorothy couldn't hide the smirk on her face as she took in his disheveled appearance.

Michaela ran her hand through his hair to smooth it and handed him a cup of coffee.

"Thank you," Sully replied, reaching for the cup. "Kids still sleepin'?"

"Yes," Michaela said. "Should I wake them?"

Sully shook his head. "Let 'em sleep." He took a seat in front of the fire, running his fingers through his hair to work out the tangles. "I was hopin' ta get an early start this mornin', but it seems we all needed the extra sleep."

"Somethin' smells good. I'm starved," Brian said. He approached his parents, taking a seat and filling a cup with coffee.

"Good morning, Brian," his mother said. "Did you sleep well?"

"Yeah, I must have been real tired. I don't think thunder could've woken me last night."

"I'm hungry," Katie said, rubbing the sleep from her eyes as she joined the group around the fire.

"Breakfast will be ready shortly, sweetheart," Michaela replied. "Why don't you go wake your brother?"

"He's not in there," Katie said.

"What do you mean not in there?" her mother asked, certain she had misunderstood her.

"He was gone when I woke up. I thought he was out here with you," Katie explained.

Michaela felt her body stiffen as she recalled the vision that woke her this morning. Quickly, she dismissed it. Josef knew better than to wander off on his own, especially after the frightening events of the previous day.

Sully quickly got to his feet and placed a hand on Michaela's shoulder. "Don't worry. He couldn't have gone far. He probably just walked into the woods ta tend to nature's call. I'll find 'im."

Michaela scanned the campground, and then checked the tent. After looking around the wagon, she checked the tent again, as if somehow Katie had been mistaken and he might magically appear. "Josef," she called, before exiting the tent. "Josef, where are you?" She walked around the tent and the surrounding area calling his name.

Brian searched the tent again then turned to his mother. "Ma."

Michaela pivoted in his direction, disturbed by the concern inflected in his tone.

"Ma…his bag is gone."

"What? Why would he need his bag?"

Katie trailed after her mother overhearing Brian's remark. "Did Joey run away?"

"Don't be ridiculous. He didn't run away," Michaela replied, more sharply than she intended.

"I'm sure he's nearby, Katie," Brian said, comforting his little sister. He walked to the wagon to see if anything else was missing. In the distance, he could hear Sully calling to Josef. From the tone in his voice, Brian knew that he hadn't been able to find him.

Sully ran back into the camp breathing heavily. "I can't find 'im. Did he come back?"

Michaela's face paled. "No."

"Pa, Joe took his bag with him and some fruit," Brian told him.

Sully took in Brian's words weighing the possible meanings in his mind.

"Sully, where would he go?" Michaela's words were tinged with genuine panic.

"I don't know," he replied, his brow furrowed.

"Dorothy, you were the first one up. Did you see Josef this morning?" Michaela asked.

"No. The camp was so quiet. I thought everyone was still asleep."

"He must o' gone off before any of us got up," Sully surmised.

"Gone off?" Michaela echoed, unable to wrap her mind around the words. "Where? Why?"

"I'll watch Katie while all of you go out looking for him," Dorothy offered. "He couldn't have gone far on foot."

Sully felt a wave of anxiety bubble up inside him. He had sensed something was off with his son. He blamed himself for not confronting him with his doubts about the day Wolf died, when they first surfaced. If he had, perhaps he could have prevented his disappearance.

Sully pushed his fear back inside; he had to remain strong for his wife and children. "We don't know which way he went. I looked from here ta the stream, but there's dense woods goin' in all directions. We can cover more ground if we split up. Michaela, you go back ta the stream an' follow it back the way we came. Brian, you go back the way we traveled in the wagon through the forest, and I'll go on ahead. Look for tracks. If Josef left when the ground was still soft, we should be able ta see his footprints. We'll meet back here in two hours."

"Papa," Katie looked at him.

Sully squatted on his heels to meet her eye to eye, placing a reassuring hand on her shoulder. "I'll find 'im. Don't worry."

"Promise." Her voice quivered as she spoke.

"I promise," he replied, pulling Katie close to him. Then he whispered in her ear. "And this is a promise I'm gonna keep. You can count on it."

"Sully, I don't understand what's happened." Michaela walked back and forth in front of the children's tent twisting her fingers together nervously trying to make sense of her son's disappearance. "Why would Josef have wandered off?"

Sully stood and stopped her pacing by taking her hands in his. "That don't matter right now Michaela," he said, with a gentle squeeze to her hands. "We gotta find him first. We can sort the rest out later."

Michaela tightened her grip on his hands. "Yes, you're right. We have to find him. We have to."

* * * * *

"Josef!" Michaela yelled, as she followed the banks of the stream. "Josef, where are you?" she echoed louder, desperate for him to hear her calls. After an hour of searching along the side of the stream, she walked it again, as if this time she was going to get it right. This time, by calling louder, walking slower and looking closer, she would find him by a tree or near a rock, patiently waiting to be found. She walked and walked, calling out his name louder and louder, until her voice grew hoarse. She paused to listen for an answer, afraid she wouldn't hear him over the pounding of her own heart.

She looked around every tree, near every stump, and behind every bush, moving slowly and methodically, looking for any sign of her son. After some time passed and he hadn't answered her calls, a jolt of fear shot through her.

Like a wave, it crashed around her and she felt herself sinking inward, as she had when she first learned Katie had been kidnapped. She covered her face with her hands as she thought about her little boy lost and alone in the woods, perhaps injured or worse. Pictures flashed through her mind, each one more terrifying than the last. Pictures of Josef hurt and unconscious, mauled by a wild animal, or drowned in the stream. Michaela pulled herself together. It wouldn't help Josef if she fell apart now. She had to keep searching. She wouldn't stop. Michaela couldn't allow herself to even think, let alone say out loud what she would do if she and Sully didn't find him. They were going to find him. They just had to.

As her worry and anxiety intensified, she kept asking herself why he wandered off. It wasn't like Josef to go off on his own. Like any adventurous boy his age, he would sometimes venture too far when he became distracted while playing, but he had never deliberately set off alone taking a bag with food. That didn't make sense. Nothing about his behavior over the past twenty-four hours resembled her son. Who was this Josef? What had happened to change her little boy so drastically?

Compounding her fear and dread was guilt. Guilt that she hadn't gone to check on him when she awoke from what she assumed was a dream. If she had acted right away, especially knowing the trauma he had just been through with Wolf, perhaps he wouldn't have gotten such a head start and they would have found him by now. Michaela was growing fearful that she wouldn't find him before something happened to him. Or worse yet, that he would continue to wander lost in the woods without anyone able to find him.

"Josef, it's Mama! Please answer me," she called again, frantic. Her eyes darted among the thick trees and out across the stream. Hearing no response to her calls and seeing no trace of him, her eyes filled with tears. Not knowing where to turn next, she brought her arm to her forehead and braced herself against a tree as a feeling of helplessness overwhelmed her. With a deep sigh, she struggled to regain her composure along with her energy to keep searching. Just because she hadn't found him didn't mean that Sully or Brian hadn't. In all likelihood, when she returned at their appointed time, one of them would have returned Josef safely back to camp. That thought comforted her. It was all she had to hold onto at the moment. As Michaela made her way back to camp, a faint light of hope flickered within her, like a lone candle in a window at night.

On her way back, Michaela walked with her eyes fixed to the ground, looking for anything she might have missed. As she scanned the edge of the stream, she suddenly noticed a small footprint in the dirt. Stopping short, she blinked, thinking it was a mirage. When she opened her eyes again, the footprint was still there. It hadn't been her imagination. How could I have missed this? She thought. Kneeling close to the ground to examine the track, she noticed several small, perfectly formed footprints of a child going off to the right. "They're Josef's," she said out loud, stunned. What else have I missed? Slowly, she rose to her feet and began to follow his tracks.

"Josef!" She resumed her calls. He had been here. Perhaps he was still nearby. Quickening her pace, her breathing became harder and more labored from nearly exhausting her energy in despair. The trail was so clear that she chastised herself for missing it earlier. Then, as suddenly as she noticed the tracks, they came to an abrupt halt near the water's edge. Her worried eyes scanned the rippling surface. She told herself Josef wouldn't have gone in the water. But she also told herself he wouldn't have left in the first place, so how could she be sure? Still, she couldn't see any more footprints. "Josef," she called again.

Frantically, she searched the area for more tracks, but she didn't see any, except her own. Her mind raced with possibilities, the worst of them being that Josef had fallen in the water and drowned. Overcome with pulsating panic, a heavy darkness set in snuffing out the light of hope she had clung to only moments ago.

Michaela ran back to camp as fast as she could, propelled by a mother's fear. Perhaps her earlier thoughts were correct and her son was safely at camp. If not, Sully could return to the stream and search for him. After all, he was a far better tracker than she was, and at the moment, she didn't trust her own abilities through her veil of despondence.
As she emerged from the woods and headed toward camp, she looked for Josef. Her heart sank when she realized he wasn't there. In the center of the campsite, Sully and Brian stood talking to Dorothy, presumably filling her in on their search while waiting for her to return. When she caught her husband's eye, he hurried toward her. Michaela picked up her pace, and when she reached Sully's side, she grasped his shirt with her hand. "Sully," she gasped, trying to catch her breath. "I…I saw…foot…" Her voice trailed off as she fought to speak after running so far and so fast.

Sully took her hands in his. "Slow down Michaela. What did you find?"

"Footprints," she breathed.

"Josef's?"

She nodded. "I…I think so." Then she met his eyes.

He was startled by her expression. "What is it?"

"Th…they stopped at the edge of the stream." Michaela swallowed hard to catch her breath. "What if he fell in?"

Her words hit him hard, but he did his best to disguise his fear from her. "It don't mean he fell in. Tell me where ya saw the first tracks an' I'll find 'im. I promise ya."

"Follow the stream and you'll see his prints," she said, as the tears she had been trying to control were falling freely now. "Find him Sully, please."

"I'll bring him home, I promise." Sully briefly touched her face, swiping at the tears, before sprinting in the direction of the stream.

* * * * *

He stopped at the edge of the stream to cool off and take a drink of water. Scooping the cool refreshing liquid into his small hands, he brought them to his lips and drank. He repeated this routine several times until he finally wet his dry mouth, quenching his thirst.

Wiping the drops of stream water and sweat from his face with the back of his hand, he looked around. The late morning heat was so intense that he took off his socks and shoes to wade in at the water's edge, being careful to go no further than his ankles. The water reflected the forest and the sky in a revolving blur of blues and greens. Josef studied his reflection in the water. He wondered if anything about his appearance had changed since Wolf's death; if his face betrayed the secret he was desperate to keep hidden.

With his shoes back on, he traversed a path over rocks at the water's edge. Stepping out of the stream onto a fallen log, he walked across its entire length with its dark, crumbling trunk covered with layers of pale mushrooms. When he reached the other side, he planted his feet on the hard ground, pausing to rest and to think about which way to go next. His eyes scanned the area looking for familiar clues, and through the dense trees off to the right, he thought he saw a clearing that he was sure would lead him to the grave. Bolstered by his newfound confidence, he headed off toward the trees, moving even deeper into the woods.

Josef followed a deer trail that wound its way along for a quarter of a mile. Almost tripping, he grabbed at a shrub, leaving his hands sticky and pungent with sap. The forest floor was steep and tangled with broken dead branches and he had to weave his way through it with great care. He had been walking through the dense forest for hours in the sweltering heat, no longer certain of the direction he was headed. No matter how far he walked, the clearing never seemed to get any closer.

Surrounded by tall, thick trees, the path, that this morning seemed so clear to him, was now muddled and confused. He had set out at dawn with the intention of going back to Wolf's grave, making amends, and returning to the campsite. Now, with the sun high in the sky, he was tired and hungry and he wasn't sure where the grave was or, even how to get back to his family.

By late afternoon, he had walked deeper into the woods. A leafy canopy of trees overhead brought a dense shade to the forest floor. Nothing about where he was now seemed familiar. It was trees and more trees, endless trees, each one looking like the last. He was so tired, his muscles burned, and he hadn't eaten for hours. But, before he could rest, he needed to complete what he set out to do. Was that even possible now? He faced the sobering reality that he didn't know how to find Wolf's grave and he didn't know how to find his way back to his family. In truth, he was lost. Scared to his bones, he slumped down against a tree to think.

By dusk, the forest around him was alive with sound. He could hear the echoing of birds, the wolves in the distance calling, the shouting of the tree frogs and squirrels scampering across the branches above him. The familiar forest sounds provided little comfort now, when he didn't know how to get back to his family. He struggled to put out the fire of fear that blazed within him. Josef thought hard about what to do. He knew his parents would be looking for him. Too tired to keep walking, he decided to stay put, hoping that soon he would be found. I'll be okay if I just stay here. Papa will find me. I know he will, Josef told himself. Scared, he burst into tears, hot streaks burning a path down his cheeks. He buried his face in his crossed arms, and sobbed. His heavy sobs draining what little energy he had left, so much so that he barely had the energy to cry anymore. As his tears slowed to a trickle, Josef fell asleep, his tired and worn body curled up beneath a massive spruce tree.

The child lay sleeping soundly for some time when a pair of strong arms, like the branches of an oak, lifted him up, cradled him close, and carried him to camp.

Go to Chapter Seven...

Back to the FanFic Corner

 

Chapter Six | Chapter Seven | Chapter Eight

It didn't take long for Sully to find the first footprint. From there, he saw a defined pattern of similar tracks heading north along the rocky bank of the stream. He moved silently along the bank, following the footprints, until they stopped abruptly at the water's edge just like Michaela had said. His heart sank with fear and trepidation. As he stared out at the water, its current strong from the snowmelt and spring rains, he felt himself sinking into despair. Had Josef gone into the water?

The day had turned blazing hot, without a cloud in the sky. It was possible Josef waded into the stream to cool off. Even if he had gone in, Sully was almost certain he would not have gone far, since he had only just learned to swim and was afraid of water over his head. A wave of anxiety rose up from his gut as he thought of another possibility. What if a strong current knocked him over and swept him downstream? Sully shook himself in an attempt to banish the negative thoughts from his mind. They helped no one. What he needed the most was a clear head to continue his search of the area for clues.

All too quickly, the day had gone from morning to afternoon in what seemed like minutes rather than hours. For at least the hundredth time, he wished that Wolf were by his side, helping him search for his son. Wolf would have tracked Josef's scent and, in all likelihood, the little boy would be safe and sound back at camp by now. With no more tracks to follow, and no evidence of broken branches or bent grass, Sully couldn't decide which direction to head. A wrong choice would cost him hours of precious time, lessening his chances of reaching Josef before nightfall.

"Josef," he yelled at the top of his lungs, not expecting to be heard, but not knowing what else to do. "It's Pa. If you can hear me, make a sound. Let me know where you are." Sully listened hard. There was no response, just the ordinary sounds of the woods. With his arms at his side, he tilted his head toward the sky and closed his eyes, centering himself to focus on his son in an attempt to feel his whereabouts.

In the past, he had been able to feel such a connection with Michaela. Surely, he would be able to feel his own son near, or at least be given a sign as to which direction to head. As Sully stood in silence, concentrating all his energy on his son, but sensing nothing, valuable time was slipping away. It was time that he didn't have to spare if he was going to find Josef before something happened to him.

Reluctantly, he opened his eyes and braced himself for the search ahead. His eyes darted from the stream to the woods behind him as he tried to think like his son. Out of frustration, he hurled a rock into the stream with all his might, emitting a cry from deep in his throat. "Where did you go?" he shouted toward the water. He hurled another rock and noticed that it bounced back up in the air. Curious, Sully stepped closer to the water's edge. Under the shallow water of the stream, he saw large rocks that formed a path upstream. A glimmer of hope began to flicker within him. Josef probably walked along the rocks to cool off. If Sully followed the rocks, he believed he would find the footprints again.

With haste, he placed one foot gingerly onto the slippery surface of the first rock. He followed the rock path while keeping his eyes fixed on the land beside him looking for clues as to where Josef had gotten out of the stream.

The cool water felt good against the heat of the day and Sully scooped some up with his hands, splashing his face. At the point where the rock path came to an end, a fallen log jutted out into the stream. He stepped out of the water to examine the area around the log. Not seeing footprints on the ground, he followed a hunch and decided to walk the length of the log. At the other end of the log, his heart lifted in relief as the footprints resumed. He was on the right track.

Sully pressed forward, around trees and rocks, following the footprints. The further away from the stream he walked, the trees grew closer together and the forest became denser and darker. He ran through the forest at a dizzying speed, as if pushed ahead by an invisible force, trying to close the distance on the several hour lead Josef had on him. He ignored the branches that tore at his skin and clothes, and he ceased thinking about why or when and focused only on the footprints. All that mattered were those footprints. They would lead him to his son. He was close. He could feel it.

The tracks led to a large spruce tree. But like the footprints at the stream, they stopped abruptly at the base of the tree. Unwilling to believe what his eyes told him, Sully circled the massive trunk several times. Josef had to be here. He just had to be. With his heart pounding, he examined the ground leading in all directions and checked behind every bush, desperate for clues. There was nothing. The high notes of eager anticipation that had been building within him to an exciting crescendo all at once were replaced by the dirge like chords of despair. It appeared as if Josef had walked as far as this tree then vanished.

Sully leaned his back against the tree, brought his hands to his face and sank down to the ground. "Think", he said out loud. "Think. Where was he going? Why isn't he here?" A few minutes passed as he tried to figure out his next move. Then five.

Then ten.

Then fifteen.

Sully weighed two options over and over in his mind. He could continue searching without clues, but once his direction was set, he would have no idea if he was growing closer to his son or putting even more distance between them. The second option was to return to camp. If he returned without Josef, he didn't think he could bear to see the anguished look in Michaela's eyes. He felt like he was letting her down, letting his son down, letting everyone down. There was only one choice. He had to decide on a path and continue the search. All he could hope for now was that his instincts, combined with guidance from the spirits, and a little luck would lead him to his son.

After staring at the possible trails until he felt like he knew each leaf and twig by heart, Sully noticed a few bent blades of grass and crumpled leaves heading to the west. Though the clues were nearly imperceptible, he decided to head in their direction. With precious few hours of daylight remaining, he needed to move quickly along the path he had chosen and pray that it would lead him to Josef. The adrenaline raced through his blood again. He moved at a fast pace, his hair and shirt soaked with sweat from the heat of the afternoon sun. An old deserted cave had come up empty, so, too, had a hollow log and an area of sheltered overgrowth. At each of these spots, his heart leapt with hopeful optimism only to be replaced by the cold stab of pain at the sight of the vacant spaces.

Sully knew he was wandering aimlessly now. Finding Josef had become a matter of luck, not skill. Just when he began to sink deeper into despair, he noticed a broken twig. Sully knelt down to examine the twig, and he could tell that it had been stepped on by a creature that weighed more than a squirrel or a rabbit. The only question in his mind was whether it was his son or merely a deer out looking for supper. It didn't matter. He had to follow any sign, no matter how tenuous. He couldn't stop looking. He had to find him.

The sun had begun its descent behind the mountains when Sully noticed the faint outline of a footprint in the dirt. It was that of an adult. There was no indication of how long ago the person passed through and if the footprint would lead him to his son. With no other clues to follow, he had to head in the direction of the footprint. His heart sank as he came to the realization that he might not find Josef before nightfall. Would he be able to survive a night in the woods alone? Glancing at the sky, Sully knew the weather would hold. What worried him was how his son would find food or whether a hungry animal might attack him. A new worry surfaced inside him. Had Josef been abducted? At that moment, the peaceful tranquility of the woods, that had always brought a stillness and calm to Sully, seemed wrought with danger for a seven year-old boy.

Sully's silent searching was punctured by the snap of a dead branch. At the sound, he spun around, grasped his tomahawk, and found himself face to face with an Indian. He was tall and muscular with long raven hair and a straight angular face. He wore only a buckskin breechclout and leggings, his bare chest adorned with several strands of beads and feathers. In his hand was a freshly killed rabbit.

Sully took particular note of the large knife hanging from the side of his belt still stained with fresh blood. Few Indians still roamed free on this land. Those who were found were immediately ushered back to reservations. Sully wondered who he was, how long he'd been out here, and most importantly, if he had seen his son.

Sully let his hand drop away from his tomahawk. "Ha ho," he said, in an attempt to show him he was friendly.

The Indian did not respond and continued to stare at Sully as if weighing his next move. Sully looked into his penetrating dark brown eyes and saw a man burdened by some knowledge or sorrow. The haunted look in his eyes sent a chill coursing throughout his body.

The Indian began to speak in a deep, steady voice. "You are looking for the boy."

* * * * *

"I don't know how much more of this waiting I can take," Michaela told Dorothy, as her feet wore a path in the dirt from the wagon to the tent and back again.

Dorothy trailed after her friend in an attempt to calm and reassure her. "Michaela, you have to trust Sully. He knows what he's doing. I'm sure he'll be back with Josef before long."

She continued walking back and forth over the same area as if constant movement was the only way to keep the terrifying thoughts and images from taking over her mind. "What's taking so long? He's been gone for hours." She placed her hand on her forehead and brushed the hair out of her face as she tried to think about whether she missed anything herself.

Ever since Sully left, Dorothy watched as Michaela's worry and agitation escalated with every passing hour. "Michaela, let's sit down. It's not helping anyone, least of all you, to get so worked up."

"Worked up!" She jolted around to face Dorothy, hands on hips. "My son is out there somewhere, lost and alone," she retorted, her hand gesturing in the direction of the surrounding woods. Looking toward the woods, all she could think about were the multitude of things that could go wrong. Michaela lowered her voice as her emotions shifted from frustration to fear. "He's probably scared to death. Honestly Dorothy, I can't think of one good reason why I should remain calm." She took a seat by the campfire, her body trembling and rocking back and forth, while her mind conjured up all the potential dangers in the woods and by the stream. Then she sprang to her feet, facing her friend. "I should go back out and search for him."

"Michaela," Dorothy began in a firm tone, "No good can come from you traipsing out there on your own. You told Sully where you saw Josef's tracks. It's best to leave it to him."

"They…they ended at the water," she reminded her, in a shaky voice.

Dorothy stepped in front of her, placed a gentle hand on Michaela's shoulder, and looked her in the eye. "Listen to me," she demanded. "If Sully didn't find more tracks, he'd be back by now. It's a good sign he's still out there."

"You think so?" Michaela stared straight ahead as tears welled in her eyes.

"I know so. And you know as well as I do that Sully won't quit until he finds that boy. He's as distraught by all this as you are." Dorothy moved her hand to Michaela's back, nudging her over to the children's tent. "Let's sit down and have a cool drink."

Michaela complied grudgingly. "I'm glad Brian decided to distract Katie by taking her to look for birds. It was difficult managing their anxiety along with mine." She sat in front of the tent with her eyes fixed in the direction of the stream.

"He's a good older brother." Dorothy handed her a glass of lemonade.

Michaela continued to gaze out at nothing, ignoring the glass. "He is," she softly replied, as she reached for one of Josef's shirt's that had been lying near the opening of the tent. "Dorothy I don't know what I'll do if Sully doesn't find him." She ran her hands over the shirt, absently rolling it into a ball then undoing it. "I remember the crushing pain when we thought Katie was dead. I don't think I could go through losing a child."

"Don't go thinking like that. Sully'll find him. You have to believe that. You have to."

"What I don't understand is why Josef left the campsite. Why?" She stared down at the tiny shirt clutched between her fingers. "Josef's never done anything like this before."

"I'm sure there's a logical explanation. Maybe he went exploring a little ways and didn't realize how far he'd gone until he couldn't find his way back. That's boys for you."

"Sully's always taking him into the woods and teaching him skills he'll need to survive by himself."

"That's good. He's probably relying on those very skills right now," Dorothy reassured.

"Sometimes…," Michaela began, but then grew quiet.

"What is it Michaela?"

"I don't know." The hours of fear and worry had drained her strength and now she was at the bottom of her own resources. "Sometimes I wish Sully wouldn't fill his head with so many ideas."

"You're not blaming Sully for Josef getting lost are you?"

"No, of course not," she replied, not fully convinced of the truth of her words. "But…but he didn't get the idea that he could survive alone in the woods from me."

"Who knows where kids get half the ideas they come up with. What's important is that you don't blame yourself or Sully for this. All children make mistakes. It's how they learn and grow. When they're Josef's age, they believe nothing can harm them. Why I remember when Tommy was about seven, he got it in his head to make me breakfast for my birthday." She laughed at the memory. "He nearly burned the house down. Now, was it my fault that he got the idea to cook from seeing me in the kitchen?"

"No, but this mistake may cost Josef his life." She paused, shaken by the enormity of the words she had just spoken. "Dorothy, this trip isn't going well. First Wolf…now Josef." Michaela's eyes were blank with shock and fear as she stared at the path Sully had taken to the stream, as if by staring at it long enough, she could will her husband and her son back to her safe and sound.

* * * * *

"Look Katie!" Brian called. "There's a mountain bluebird in that tree."

Katie didn't appear to hear him as she continued to walk in a straight line with her body rigid and her eyes fixed on the ground.

"Katie!" Brian called to her again. He was frustrated that his attempt to distract her was failing.

Startled, she turned at the sound of her name. "Huh?"

"I said there's a mountain bluebird in that tree," he repeated, pointing in the direction of a large pine tree.

"Where?" Katie looked up, giving little concern about whether she was looking where Brian was pointing. "I don't see it."

"C'mon Katie, you're not paying attention. Over there." He pointed to a tree to the right of them. Brian hadn't meant to sound irritated with his sister. It seemed his own tension and unease over Josef's disappearance was taking a toll. So as not to add to Katie's burden, he took a deep breath, softened his voice, and tried again to interest her in the birds. "He's perched on that branch above the large pine cones. We haven't seen a mountain bluebird yet. Most of the birds we've seen have been blue jays and chickadees."

Katie finally turned toward the tree her brother had indicated with a glimmer of interest. "How do you know he's a he?"

"Because he's bright blue. The male birds always have the brightest colors. Do you see him now?"

Katie shielded her eyes from the sun. "I think so."

"He's real pretty isn't he?" Brian was trying to engage her in the bird, in anything, anything other than what was on both of their minds - the safety of their little brother.

"Yeah, he is," she replied with far less enthusiasm than usual. "I don't wanna do this anymore."

"You love bird watching."

"Not now." She released a small sigh.

Brian wished there was something he could do to lessen Katie's worry. Since they discovered Josef missing, his sister hadn't been herself. Usually, she loved looking for birds in the woods and would compete with Brian over who could identify the most kinds. Whenever they spent time together, she never ceased to amaze him with all the questions she asked. They tumbled out of her, each one following the others, like waves. He thought going bird watching could help take her mind off their brother, but not even her favorite activity could distract her this afternoon.

"Let's sit down and eat something," Brian suggested. He made his way over to sit under a tree, seeking shade from the afternoon sun.

"I'm not hungry." Katie felt badly she was ruining their time together. It wasn't as if she was doing it on purpose. She just didn't want to look for birds. She didn't want to do anything. Usually, she enjoyed spending time with Brian, but not today. Today, she wished she could have remained in camp with her mother waiting for her father to return with Josef.

Brian needed to keep Katie out longer to give his father more time to find Josef. He also wanted to give his mother time to herself, time for her to feel her fear without having to put up a brave front for Katie, or even him. "Katie, let's sit anyway."

"I wanna go back," she said, in a demanding tone.

"We're not goin' back right now, so please sit down." His tone matched hers.

Katie stared at him defiantly for several long moments willing him to bring her back. Once it was clear Brian wasn't backing down, she reluctantly sat down on the ground next to him.

Brian put his arm around her shoulder. "Joey's gonna be all right, Katie."

Pools of tears filled her eyes. "How…how do you know?"

"Because Pa'll find him."

Katie leaned into him for comfort. "What makes you so sure?"

"He finds everyone. He found me when I ran away, he found you when those bad men took you, and he found Caleb, the statehood man's son. You remember the story Ma told you about that, right?"

She gave her answer with a halfhearted nod.

"Pa's not gonna let anything happen to Joey."

Katie pulled back slightly to look up at him, her interest piqued by something he said. "You ran away?"

"That was a long time ago," Brian replied, unsure whether this story would help her or add to her worries.

"Why did you run away?"

"The first time I ran away, I was even younger than Joey. My first ma had just died and we went to live with Dr. Mike. I got in trouble for breaking one of Mr. Bray's candy jars."

"Uh oh, was he mad?"

Brian smiled at the memory. "Yeah, he was mad. Ma made me clean up the mess. After that, I got so mad at her that I ran away to live with the Cheyenne. But I got lost. Then I fell and broke my leg. Wolf led Ma and Pa to me and Ma fixed my leg."

Katie picked up a twig and began to draw circles in the dirt. "Do you think Joey ran away?"

Brian shrugged. "Dunno. Can't see why he would. He wasn't upset with anyone. Was he?"

"He was real upset about Wolf."

"Katie, I don't see why he'd run away over Wolf. Maybe he got up before any of us and went exploring in the woods. He might have wandered too far and not known how to get back."

"I bet he's scared out there all alone. And, now, we don't have Wolf to find him."

"Probably, but Pa's gonna find him."

"I'm scared, too."

"I know you are. By the time we get back, Joey will be in the campsite."

Katie's eyes seemed a little brighter than they were earlier. "You really think so?"

"Yeah, I do." Brian reached over and gave Katie a hug, hoping more than anything he was right.

* * * * *

Sully wasn't sure if he really heard what he thought he heard. Had this Indian just mentioned his son? Was "the boy" he referred to really Josef? He wondered if his all consuming worry over his lost child had caused him to hear words that hadn't been spoken. But, the tumbling of his heartbeat against his chest, and the fine sheen of perspiration coating his brow, erased any doubts he may have had. So did the serious expression on the Indian's face as he stood straight and tall in front of him, waiting for a reaction.

Sully told him he was looking for his son, gave him a brief description, and asked if he'd seen him. Without uttering a word, the Indian turned around and walked away. After hesitating for a brief moment, Sully followed him. This stranger knew something and Sully was determined to find out what. He quickened his pace to catch up and then fell into step beside him, matching the Indian stride for stride.

Sully followed the quiet, focused man through the woods while engaged in a one-sided conversation. When his repeated attempts to learn what the Indian knew about his son failed, Sully decided the best course of action was to remain silent and not provoke the only person who may know Josef's whereabouts.

He studied the Indian with rapt attention, mentally organizing each and every detail, trying to better gauge the situation. He noticed that his buckskins were faded and frayed at the edges and his moccasins showed signs of hard travel. Several prominent scars lined his broad, muscular chest. Clearly at home in the woods, the stranger's steps were even and resolute as he brushed past the sharp, jagged edges of low hanging branches as if they were feathers. A slight tension in his body, probably caused by Sully's presence, cracked his otherwise firm demeanor.

Many conflicting thoughts collided in Sully's mind. He wondered if the Indian had taken Josef or if he had merely found him. He wondered if they both were now in danger. His emotions vacillated between exhilaration at the prospect of finding Josef unharmed and dread that he was being lured into a trap. He took it as a good sign that the Indian didn't try to disarm him by removing his tomahawk. Unless other members of his band were hidden from view, waiting to attack, he could defend himself, if necessary.

As they emerged from the woods, Sully entered a campsite much like his own. It had a tent, bedrolls, and supplies. Taking in his surroundings, it was obvious more than one person was camped here. His eyes scanned the grounds for any sign of Josef. Seeing none, his anxiety reached a fever pitch. Still the Indian said nothing as he continued walking.

Having reached a breaking point, Sully reached out with one hand braced on his tomahawk and placed his other hand on the Indian's shoulder. He turned him around to face him, his face inches from his. "I've had enough! Tell me what ya know ‘bout my son?"

The Indian stared at Sully with dark, intense eyes then he let his eyes drift toward the tent. Sully's eyes followed, feeling a sliver of hope rise within him. He let go of the Indian and watched as he moved toward the tent to lift the flap. Out walked Josef.

"Papa!" Josef ran toward his father, almost tripping over his feet in his excitement to reach him.

Sully dropped to one knee and pulled the boy hard to his chest. When he felt his son's body press into his and his small arms wrapped around his neck, tears pooled in his eyes. Josef held his father tighter than even Sully held him. "I'm here Joe. You're safe now." Sully closed his eyes, breathed deeply, and glanced toward the sky in silent prayer. "You're safe," he repeated.

Josef pulled back slightly to look at his father, tears of relief streaking his face. "I got lost."

Sully ran his hands over Josef's head, down to his shoulders, and over his arms to determine if he was hurt. "You had your ma an' me real worried." Over the top of Josef's head he could see the Indian standing off to the side watching their reunion. Sully lifted Josef into his arms, stood and took several deep breaths to steady his emotions before walking toward him.

"How did he get here?" Sully asked in a level tone, still wary about the details of how his son came to be in this man's camp.

The Indian crossed his arms at his chest, bristling at the distrust he heard coming from the man whose son he had just rescued. Then he eyed his buckskin clothes, beads, medicine pouch, and tomahawk. Life had taught him that white men were not to be trusted especially ones who pretended to adopt the ways of his grandfathers only to deliver betrayal in the end.

The silence had stretched out so long that Sully had almost given up on getting an answer when the Indian began to speak.

"I came upon him asleep in the woods. I brought him here for safekeeping." His tone was curt from the resentment of having to defend himself.

Sully was surprised he spoke English so well. "Where did you find him?" He asked, now only out of curiosity. Josef was safe and that was all that mattered. And the stranger had helped both of them. He owed him.

"I found him asleep under a spruce tree."

"I followed his tracks ta that tree," Sully said, finally understanding why they had stopped so abruptly. Thank you." He held out his hand. The Indian stared down at Sully's outstretched hand for a moment then held out a big hand for a brief, uncomfortable handshake. "Thank you," Sully repeated. "I can't thank ya enough for helpin' me get ‘im back." Sully paused, unsure about how much more to say. "I'm Sully. My family's camped just over that ridge. Josef wandered off this mornin' and his ma and me have been sick with worry."

"You should take the boy back to your camp before the light is gone from the sky."

"What tribe are ya from?" The Indian wore ornamented moccasins in the pattern of the Cheyenne, but his beads were not Cheyenne.

"It no longer matters what tribe I'm from," he replied. With those words, he walked away, making it clear it was time for the stranger to leave.

Sully studied the Indian, but could offer no response. There was something about him that made Sully uneasy, but he brushed it aside. After all the tribes had been through over the past decade, and even longer, it was natural for them to be guarded toward strangers, especially white strangers. Sully surmised that his family had probably fled the poor conditions of a reservation. If that was the case, he wondered how long they expected to live out here before the Army rounded them up and sent them back.

As soon as Sully started to leave with Josef, he heard the sound of a baby crying. He turned around and noticed a striking woman step out of the tent. She had hair like a raven's wing, dark eyes like coal, and her skin was the glossy color of honey. She began to walk back and forth in front of the tent attempting to calm a screaming baby. By the sound of the infant's plaintive cries, Sully thought he was ill. He wanted to do something to help, but he knew his presence was making the couple uncomfortable. He hesitated a few extra moments then turned to leave again. The baby's cries grew louder and Sully turned again, alarmed by the baby's red pallor. He walked Josef a short distance away and told him to wait while he went over to speak with the couple. The little boy reluctantly let go of his father's hand reassured that he could still see him from where he stood.

"I don't mean ta pry, but your baby seems sick. My wife's a doctor. I know she could help," he offered. "I owe ya for finding my son."

The Indian met Sully's eye. "No, thank you. We have all we need here to care for him. He will be fine," he replied. "You must go. It is almost dark."

The Indian woman met Sully's eyes, finding an unexpected comfort in them.

Sully wanted to do something for the infant, but it was clear he was no longer welcome in their camp. "We're just over the ridge by the stream if you change your mind."

The Indian offered no response as he tended to his wife and child. Sully hesitated then turned away and returned to Josef's side.

"Papa, I wanna see Mama," Josef said, tugging on his father's shirt.

"I'm gonna get ya back to your ma real soon." He lingered a moment longer, his eyes focused on the baby. Realizing there was nothing more he could do, he hoisted Josef onto his shoulders and headed back to their camp.

* * * * *

Michaela tossed the carrots into the biscuit batter instead of the stew. Just a few minutes ago she had placed the stew over the fire without lighting the wood. She had thought cooking might help her to keep busy, but she couldn't concentrate on anything except the whereabouts of her son who was lost somewhere in the woods. Every few minutes, she paused to gaze in the direction of the stream expecting to see Sully returning with Josef. And each time, when she didn't see him, her heart sank with disappointment.

Ever since Brian and Katie returned from bird watching upset that Josef still hadn't been found, she tried even harder to submerge her fears deep inside so as not to worry them any further. Despite her best efforts, they remained close to the surface, ready to spill over at the slightest provocation. Sully had been gone too long. Josef could never have walked as far as Sully must have gone by now. To her, that only meant one thing. He couldn't find their son. Knowing her husband as she did, Michaela knew he wouldn't quit. But, as the time went from minutes to hours, she began to conclude that it could only mean one thing. Sully had gone further away to find him and was not following a well-defined trail.

She glanced toward the mountains in the distance, dark against the pale pink of the evening sky and drew in a deep breath, willing herself to find the strength she knew she would need to endure what the next several hours might bring.

Michaela stirred the stew with unfocused attention when Josef's voice crept into her consciousness. "Mama," she thought she heard.

"Mama," Josef yelled, as he rushed toward her.

Michaela's head snapped up. She saw her son running in her direction with Sully following close behind, a look of intense relief in his eyes. The tension she had held tight inside all day melted away like an icicle on a warm spring day. "Oh, Josef. Thank God." In two long strides, she closed the distance between them and brought him into her arms, hugging him close.

"Mama," he said, clinging to his mother's neck, relieved to be back in the safety of her arms.

Michaela held on tight, as if letting go might cause him to disappear again. "Let me look at you. Are you all right?" She felt his head and ran her hands down his arms and back to make sure he wasn't injured.

Josef squirmed, having already been through this inspection by his father. "Mama. I'm not hurt."

After giving Michaela time to assess Josef's physical condition, Brian, Katie and Dorothy gathered around to welcome him back.

Katie hugged her brother. "I'm glad you're back."

"Me, too," Josef said.

"Hey, little brother, you gave us quite a scare," Brian said, wrapping his arms around him.

"I didn't mean ta get lost," the little boy told them.

"I know you didn't," Brian reassured, patting him on the head.

Reluctant to leave her son's side, Michaela eventually moved to approach her husband. "Oh, Sully! Thank you!"

A breeze tossed a tendril of hair across her face, and Sully reached out and brushed it away. He enfolded her in his arms and held her tight for a few moments, both of them reveling in the relief of having their son back safe and sound. "It wasn't me who found ‘im."

His words took her by surprise and she pulled back slightly to look up at him. "What do you mean?"

"I followed his tracks to a tree, but they stopped at the base. I started walkin', followin' some bent grass, but no real trail, when I ran into an Indian. He led me ta Josef."

"An Indian?" Michaela replied, as they both returned to Josef's side. She picked him up, holding him close as she listened to the rest of the story.

Sully nodded. "It seems Joe fell asleep by the tree. The Indian found ‘im an' took ‘im back to his camp for safekeepin'."

"I sat by the tree to wait for you," Josef explained, resting his head on his mother's shoulder. "I didn't know how to get back. You taught me that when you can't find your way, it's best to stay put. I knew you'd find me if I didn't move."

Michaela glanced at her husband realizing that the lessons he taught their son had helped keep him safe.

"Good thinkin'," Sully said, pride evident in his voice. He turned back to Michaela. "It was luck I ran into ‘im out huntin' for his supper."

"Just like when Cloud Dancin' found you when you were lost, an Indian found me," Josef said, pleased by this new connection to his father.

"We were both real lucky," Sully said, kissing the top of his head.

"What's an Indian doing way out here by himself?" Dorothy asked.

"Was he Cheyenne?" Brian questioned.

Sully shrugged his shoulders. "Not sure. But he wasn't alone. He has a family. They have a baby who seemed sick. I told ‘em you were a doctor, but they wanted ta be left alone. I imagine they're not trustin' of white folks after all that's happened."

"Sully, if their baby's sick we should help them, especially after what they did for Josef. We should go there." Michaela put her son down and turned to get her bag.

Sully grasped her arm to still her. "Michaela, they don't want nothin' from us. I told ‘em where we are if they need us. Leave it be."

After a moment's hesitation, she nodded and turned her attention back to her son. "Young man, we need to have a serious conversation about why you wandered off this morning."

Josef looked down at his feet, dreading the inevitable discussion with his parents.

Sensing that his son didn't want an audience, Sully placed his hand on his back and guided him away from the others. He held out his hand for Michaela to join them. Over his shoulder he caught Brian's eye. "Will ya watch things here while we talk ta Joe?"

"Sure," Brian replied.

The three of them sat beside a large fir tree and Sully began. "Joe, we need ta know why ya went off this mornin'."

The little boy stared at the grass fingering a blade with his finger. "I…I didn't mean to get lost."

"We know that sweetheart," Michaela soothed. "But why did you wander off on your own?"

"I was gonna be back by lunch," Josef explained.

"Where were you goin'?" Sully asked.

"To Wolf's grave."

"Wolf's grave!" Michaela raised her voice. "That's much too far to walk. Whatever possessed…"

"Michaela…." Sully cut her off with a stern eye.

Catching his glare, she stopped, knowing he was right. Yelling at Josef wouldn't help matters.

Sully placed a hand on his shoulder. "Why were ya goin' there, son?"

Josef's eyes clouded with tears. "I wanted him to know…to know I'm sorry…I'm sorry he's dead."

"He knows that, Joe," Sully said, swallowing hard.

"He knows how much we all loved him," his mother soothed, smoothing his hair.

Josef shook his head. "It's my fault."

"Sweetheart, it's not your fault," Michaela comforted. "What happened was an accident. It's no one's fault."

But Josef knew it was his fault. "I didn't say goodbye to him," he choked out, before he broke down sobbing into his father's shirt.

"Shh… it's all right." Sully rubbed his back. "It's gonna be all right."

"Wolf knew how much you loved him sweetheart," Michaela reassured. "I know from the wagon it didn't seem far to walk, but even if you knew the way, Wolf's grave was too far to walk."

"I…I thought…I…could do…it," he stuttered.

"Your ma's right, Joe. It was too far ta walk. I need ya ta promise me you won't do anything like this again. If you wanted ta go back ta the grave, you needed ta tell us. We can stop on the way home."

"We can?" Josef's spirits lifted slightly.

"'Course we can. Now promise your ma an' me that you won't go off on your own again," Sully repeated.

"I promise." Josef hesitated for a moment. "Are you gonna punish me?"

Michaela and Sully looked at each other, their eyes conveying the same answer. "No sweetheart," his mother began. "We hope you learned your lesson. We trust you won't go off on anymore adventures on your own."

"I won't," Josef affirmed. He felt a mixture of relief and disappointment at not being punished. He thought he deserved to be punished for causing Wolf's death. Maybe if he were punished, he wouldn't still feel so awful inside.

"But, we will take away all your privileges if you do anythin' like this again. Understand?" Sully added.

Josef nodded.

Michaela abruptly stood, smoothing her skirt. "We'll be heading for home in the morning. "We can stop at Wolf's grave tomorrow."

Michaela's words hit Sully like a rock to his gut. "What?" he said in disbelief. He rose to his feet and lowered his voice. "We're not goin' home tomorrow."

Michaela quieted her voice for the sake of her son. "Sully, you can't very well expect to continue with this trip after what's happened. Wolf's dead…" she paused to look back at Josef before continuing, "and we very nearly lost Josef today."

"That's exactly what we're gonna do." His voice was tight with barely controlled anger.

"I'm not. I'm going home. And the children are coming with me."

Sully took a deep breath. "Michaela, any o' these things could've happened at home. Josef's fine. He won't run off again. Everythin's fine now. We decided together ta go on this trip ta see Cloud Dancin'. Turnin' back now ain't the answer."

"Is seeing Cloud Dancing more important than the safety of your family?" she lashed out, forgetting to watch her tone. The emotions of the day were spilling forth without consideration of the weight of her words.

Josef flinched at the angry words being hurled between his parents.

"You know better than that," Sully barked, barely able to contain his temper from the toll this day had taken on his emotions. Then he noticed the fear in Josef's eyes as he watched his parent's quarrel. He lowered his voice. "Let's talk about this later."

"There's nothing more to talk about. We're going home in the morning." Michaela brushed past her husband then turned back toward her son. "Come along, Josef." Josef remained fixed in place then reached for his father's hand. Feeling outnumbered, Michaela spun back around and stormed off.

Go to Chapter Eight...

Back to the FanFic Corner