Chapter Five
by Sandi 99

"I really wanna go to Washington."

"You really think it's fair?"

"I knew all the answers. I would have won anyway."

"Well, I'm sure that's true but ... you broke the rules."

"So? You and Sully are breakin' the rules."

"What do you mean?"

"You're spyin' on the soldiers, takin' their secrets to the Indians."

"Well, that's different."

"Why?"

"Well, sometimes ... sometimes you have to lie, or break the law, for a higher purpose."

Colleen and Michaela - Buffalo Soldiers.
***************
"Let me get this straight," Andrew said slowly, glancing from Michaela to Sully then back again. "This is all a set-up? You're pretending to do this because ....?" He let the sentence dangle in the air between them, to prompt the couple sitting across the table from him.

Michaela sighed. "Because we're trying to help Hank, Andrew," she supplied, quietly. They'd explained this once before but no one seemed to be able to grasp it. Even now, Colleen and Andrew exchanged skeptical looks and Brian was shaking his head. Katie was the only one who seemed pleased by their confession. She left her chair at the table and plopped down on Sully's knee, winding her arms around his neck.

"I'm just happy you're home, Papa," she said, hugging him tightly.

He grinned at her, returning the hug. "Sorry if we worried ya, Kates."

"I was only worried cause nobody would tell me what was happenin'," the little girl said innocently. "I didn't understand what Senora Slicker meant what she called Mama 'a harlot'. No one would tell me but I knew it was bad. What's a harlot, Papa?"

Sully stared at his wife, in disbelief, and Michaela shrugged, sheepishly. "Teresa was a little upset," she admitted. "I'll explain later."

"So," Brian interjected, "Hank thinks he knows the guy that Violet Patterson was dating, and he thinks he might be her murderer? Who is it?"

Sully hesitated. "Whatever we tell ya has to go no further than this room. No one else can know bout it." He looked down at his daughter's upturned face. "Understand, Kates? It's a secret, okay?"

Katie nodded. "I'm good at keeping secrets. Remember when Mama was lookin' for that apple pie she baked for the church picnic and you and me and Brian ate it? Ya told me not to tell her and I didn't, remember?"

It was Sully's turn to look sheepish as he gave his wife a feeble smile. Michaela tried to appear indignant but her mouth was twitching in amusement. Katie's eyes suddenly grew wide. "Oops! Sorry, Papa!"

"That's exactly what your father is talking about, young lady," Michaela reprimanded her, lightly. "You can't have any slips of the tongue like that. Promise?"

Katie agreed, solemnly.

"Hank thinks it might be ..." Michaela paused, struggling with the admission.

"Duncan Lodge," Sully supplied, without any qualms. "Don't surprise me none. Never thought much of the man."

"I don't understand," Colleen admitted. "How will it help anything by pretending that you and Ma have split up, Sully?"

Once again, the couple hesitated. "Katie," Michaela coaxed. "Why don't you go upstairs and get ready for bed now?"

The little girl's gaze travelled around the closed faces at the table before returning to her mother. "This is like the harlot thing, isn't it?" she asked. "No one wants me to hear this, do they?"

Michaela looked surprised and Sully stifled a laugh. Katie scowled and slid off his lap. "Okay, I'll go. But I don't like it! I'm not a baby!"

"Of course you're not, sweetheart," Michaela said, soothingly but Katie was already stomping toward the stairsteps, her long honey brown hair bouncing with each forceful step. The adults waited until they heard her bedroom door slam shut before continuing their conversation.

"Duncan Lodge ain't made no secret of the fact that he's got ... feelins ... for your Ma," Sully explained. He couldn't keep the disgust from edging into his tone. "So, your Ma thought ..."

"We thought," Michaela interrupted, grabbing her husband's hand and giving it a small squeeze, "that I'd get further with Duncan if he believed that Sully and I were separated. That way, I could spend more time around him and ...."

"Flirt with him?" Andrew choked, appalled. "Michaela ... you're intending to flirt with the man?"

"Just enough to get him to trust me," Michaela affirmed quickly. "Once he starts talking to me about personal things, I might be able to learn something useful."

Colleen, Andrew and Brian were all staring at her as if she'd lost her grip on reality. Sully jumped in, coming to his wife's defence. "I thought it was crazy too, when she first told me. But she promised me she'd be careful and we can't come up with any other way to help Hank."

"So you staged a fight in front of Duncan?" Brian asked, incredulously.

They both nodded. "The thing is," Michaela added, "I'm sure there's nothing to worry about. I don't even think Hank has a good reason for his suspicions, not after what happened today."

"What was that?" Sully asked.

"Duncan Lodge agreed to be Hank's lawyer," Michaela told him. "Why would he do that, if he was guilty? Why would he defend Hank?"

"Cause you asked him to," Sully said, raising his eyebrows at her.

"It's probably just his way of gettin' on the good side of ya."

She shook her head. "I'm not sure if I believe that ..."

"So, what are you going to do now?" Colleen interrupted, impatiently. "Where will you stay, Sully? The whole town thinks you've left Ma. You can't stay at the homestead - not without running the risk of being seen."

"I know," Sully agreed. "That's part of my plan."

They all frowned at him, in confusion, and he elaborated. "Ya see, I got my doubts bout Patrick O'Donnell, Luke's uncle. He showed up in town, lookin' for his dead brother, right about the same time that Vi was killed. Seems like too much of a coincidence ta me."

"You think he might have killed her?" Andrew asked.

"Dunno." Sully shrugged. "It's possible. So, I figure I'll hang out round Luke's cabin for a spell. Duncan heard Michaela accusin' me of spendin' time with White Feather so he won't think nothin' of it, if he finds out I'm there. And Patrick O'Donnell will think I left Michaela so he won't be suspicious. I can keep an eye on him, just like Michaela's keepin' an eye on Duncan."

"You're gonna sleep there?" Colleen asked, before studying Michaela's face. Her step-mother was desperately trying to hide her expression but there was a tightness around her mouth.

"No," Sully reassured her, quickly. "I'll stay with Cloud Dancin'. I'll just go there durin' the day, for meals and such."

"But .. why are you doing this?" Andrew still looked perplexed. "I didn't think either one of you had a particular fondness for Hank. Why would you go to such lengths to help him?"

Michaela and Sully held each other's gazes and something passed between them, something that seemed to strengthen their conviction. "We have to," Michaela answered, softly. "Hank saved my life once. We owe him."

Sully nodded. "We pay back our debts. Sides," he added, "Michaela and me ... well ... we've always tried to do the right thing, Andrew." He shifted his gaze to meet his son-in-law's questioning stare. "And lettin' an innocent man hang ain't the right thing."

"How do you know he's innocent?" Brian asked.

"We don't," Michaela told him. "But, unlike everyone else in this town, we just can't assume that he's guilty either. We have to find out, not only for Hank but for ourselves as well."

****************
Sully hated to leave. Katie was sound asleep, after insisting that Sully come upstairs and give her a good-night kiss. She'd clung to him before she let him leave the room, and he'd eased back from her, looking into her eyes.

"What is it, Kates?"

"I know you're just pretendin', Papa," the little girl said, tearfully, "but Mama said you can't stay here with us. I'm gonna miss you, Papa."

Sully tousled her hair. "I'll be back fore ya know it."

"Promise?"

"Promise."

Now Brian had gone to bed as well and Andrew and Colleen had returned to their own home for the night. Sully and Michaela had been sitting in front of the fireplace, each of them lost in their own thoughts. She finally looked over at him.

"I think I'll wire Matthew in the morning. He's got connections, now that he's a lawyer. Maybe he knows who to contact in order to find out more about Duncan. After all, with Duncan being a lawyer as well, you'd think they might know some of the same people."

"Good idea," Sully agreed. "In the meantime, just watch Duncan close, okay? The first sign of anythin' Michaela, I wanna know bout it. If Duncan starts ..."

"Sully," she interrupted, "quit worrying. I'll be just fine."

He stood up and moved over, kneeling down in front of her wingback chair. He cupped her fingers with his hands, then raised them to his lips and kissed each finger gently. "I just don't want nothin' happenin' to you," he whispered. "I dunno why I went along with all of this."

She reached out and smoothed his hair away from his face. "Because, you're a fair and caring man," she whispered. "And you always follow your conscience."

She leaned forward and settled her mouth over his lips, the kiss long and lingering. When they pulled apart, they both sighed, heavily.

"I gotta go," he said, reluctantly.

"I know," she confirmed. She ran her fingers over his chin. "One of the hardest things I've ever done was pretending to be angry at you, while we were in Duncan's office. I hate yelling at you like that."

"Yeh ... me too," he agreed. "But the hardest thing I hafta do ...." He stared up at her with troubled blue eyes. "...is to leave you right now. I wanna be with you, Michaela."

"Soon," she whispered. "Soon."

*****************
Three days had passed - three long days of staring at the bars of a damn jail cell! Hank pounded his fist against the wall and sat up on the cot. Outside, he could hear the sound of the town waking up - pots clattering at Grace's Café, horse hooves as people rode into town, the whistle of the morning train as it chugged into the station, Loren calling out to Jake as they both opened up their shops for the day.

The thought of Loren and Jake made him drive his knuckles into the wall beside the cot again. Loren hadn't even come over to see him - not once since he'd been arrested and Jake, well, he visited Hank the first day but he seemed uncomfortable, searching for something to say. When Hank told him that he couldn't remember anything, that he might have killed Vi, Jake swallowed, nervously.

"I'd best be goin', Hank," the barber announced. "I promised Teresa I'd take her over ta Grace's for supper."

"Have a good time, Jake," Hank drawled, sarcastically, as the man headed toward the door. "Don't ya be losin' no sleep over me."

Jake actually looked a little ashamed but he hadn't returned since then.

"Damn 'em! Damn all of 'em!" Hank snarled.

At that moment, McKay was entering the jailhouse. He halted in the doorway and glanced around, then frowned at the saloonkeeper. "Ya talkin' ta someone?"

"Yeah," Hank snorted, "my so-called friends, that's who."

McKay shrugged and moved over to sit down behind his desk. "I've sent for the circuit judge but he won't be here for a week or so," he informed Hank, casually. "Pretty busy right now, I guess."

"Tell 'im there's no hurry!" Hank half-laughed. "I sure as Hell ain't goin' nowhere."

"I heard tell," McKay began, eyeing Hank curiously, "that ya haven't got no money for a lawyer. Seems ta me that, since ya own the saloon and all, you'd be able to come up with ..."

"Not that it's any of your damn business," Hank interrupted him, testily, "but I got me plenty of expenses. Runnin' a saloon ain't that easy ... or that profitable ... least not in this town. First the stinkin' injuns blow it up and I gotta rebuild, then I just start ta get back on my feet and that damn tornado hits."

"But, your saloon was one of the few buildings that survived the storm," McKay reminded him. "Least, that's what folks tell me."

"Ya, it survived all right," Hank agreed, "but it still needed repairs. The winds took off some of the roof and busted up the windows ... that kinda thing." He glared at McKay. "I dunno why the Hell I'm discussin' my business with you, anyway! I must be awful hard-up for company!"

McKay opened his mouth to return the insult, just as the door to the jailhouse swung open. Both men stared at the well-dressed, petite woman framed in the entranceway, McKay out of curiosity and Hank out of shock. Finally the bartender found his voice.

"Myra!" he croaked out. "What in Hell are ya doin' here?!"

***************
Brian had ridden into town early that morning, intent on reaching the telegraph office before too many people began milling around. There were two purposes behind his trip - he wanted to check the mail from the previous day, to see if one of the newspapers he'd applied to had written back to him and, since he was going into the telegraph office anyway, Michaela asked him to wire Matthew. They'd gone over what to include in the contents of the wire, so Horace wouldn't catch onto the reason behind it.

"We can't give too much away," Michaela'd pondered, "but we still need to let Matthew know that we need his help."

"Maybe, if we could say somethin' in secret?" Brian had suggested.

"Somethin' that Horace wouldn't understand but Matthew might?"

"What?" They were sitting around the breakfast table and Michaela had frowned, deep in concentration. "There's few secrets in this town that Horace doesn't already know." She shook her head. "We'll just have to word the telegram carefully and hope that he doesn't become suspicious."

As it turned out, neither one of them had to worry about Horace being very perceptive. Just as Brian reached the telegraph office, the morning train from Denver was pulling into the station. Horace was in the process of handing over the mail to Brian - all of it for Michaela, it seemed - when Myra Bing stepped down onto the platform. Horace had frozen in place, the mail still clutched in one hand, his eyes riveted on his ex-wife. His gaze followed her as the woman scurried down the street in the direction of the jail.

Brian reached out to grab onto the letters, gently tugging them out of the man's hand. The action seemed to snap Horace back into the present moment and he refocused on Brian. "If there's nothin' else, Brian ..." he said, quickly, "I .. I gotta close up for a few minutes."

"You can't yet," Brian objected. "I gotta send a telegram and it's real important - to Matthew, in Denver."

Horace looked slightly irritated but he grabbed the pencil that he kept tucked behind one ear. Pulling a pad of paper out from underneath the counter, he waited, pencil poised. "Well ....?" he asked, impatiently, when Brian hesitated, "what do ya wanna say, Brian? I ain't got all day."

"Just say ...." Brian paused and Horace sighed, heavily, rolling his eyes. "Just say .... 'Need information on Duncan Lodge. Planning on conducting business with him and would like a list of his credentials. Hope you can help us out.' And sign it, 'Love, Dr. Mike.' Got that?"

"Course I do!" Horace snapped but he kept glancing down the street as he was tapping out the message and Brian wondered if the man was really paying any attention to the words on the pad. He could only hope that Horace's preoccupation didn't interfere with the contents of the message.

Horace locked up the office as soon as he typed in the last word and bounded off down the street. Brian watched him leave and then moved off at a much slower pace, sorting through the letters he held in his hand. Nothing. There was a letter to his mother from his grandmother, the latest journal from the medical society, a bill of some sort .... But absolutely nothing addressed to Brian Cooper. If he didn't hear back from one of those newspapers soon ... He was so absorbed in his own thoughts that he didn't notice Dorothy standing on the front porch of the Gazette office until she called out to him.

"Brian! Might I have a word with you, for just a minute?"

He smiled up at her and nodded. "Sure, Miss Dorothy."

The woman stepped down into the street and hurried over to him. She took him by one arm, the urgency in her grip surprising him. "Ya gotta tell me," she hissed, glancing around to make sure that no one was within earshot. "How's your Ma holdin' up?"

"Ma?" For a second, Brian was puzzled. He'd been so wrapped up in his own affairs that he'd temporarily forgotten about the game they were playing. He adopted a mournful expression, sliding back into the pretense. "She's as good as can be expected, I suppose. It hasn't been easy on her."

"I should say not!" Dorothy exclaimed. "How long has Sully been gone?"

"Three days."

"And you've had no word yet?"

Brian shook his head, keeping his gaze averted. He hated lying to Dorothy but he had no choice in the matter.

"Well ... I can hardly believe it!" She placed a hand on her flushed cheek, her eyes troubled. "After everythin' they've been through together ... all this time ... I thought that man would die before he'd go and do somethin' like this! I ain't never seen a man so devoted to his wife ... and all because he's jealous! It just ain't like Sully."

"If ya don't mind, Miss Dorothy," Brian said, quietly, "I'd rather not talk bout it right now."

Her eyes widened and she squeezed his arm. "Oh .. Of course not! I'm so sorry, Brian. I wasn't thinkin'. This must be so hard on you."

"It's okay," he reassured her, the guilt rising up to redden his face. "I just got things ta do and ..."

"Well, so do I!" she agreed, quickly. She turned back toward her newspaper office and stared up at the sign, sighing heavily.

Brian studied her profile. "Somethin' wrong, Miss Dorothy?"

"Oh ... it's nothin'." She half smiled. "It's just ... well, the paper's gettin' so big and I ain't gettin' any younger. Now that the train travels back and forth so much, folks in Denver are buyin' copies of the Gazette and I have trouble keepin' up with the demand." She squeezed his arm again. "But ya don't need to be worryin' bout that right now. Ya got other things on your mind. I'll be just fine."

Loosening her grip and giving his arm a small pat instead, she moved away and climbed back onto the porch, re-entering the building. Brian stared up at the sign for a long moment. An idea was forming in his head but Dorothy was right - he had other things to worry about right now. He pushed it into a far corner of his mind, storing away the notion until life returned to normal and he could pull it out and examine it once more. If life ever returned to normal again!

*******************
"You sound surprised, Hank," Myra said, moving over to stand in front of the jail cell. She was smiling, somewhat self-consciously. "Is it strange for a mother to visit her daughter once in a while? I don't see Samantha no more, now that she's livin' with Horace."

Hank studied her face, closely. "So that's why you're here? Ta see Samantha?"

Myra shrugged. "Of course. I just happened ta hear that ya got yourself arrested ..." Her lips twisted and she tossed him a teasing look. "... and I thought I'd best come on over here and see what you've gone and done now, Hank Lawson!"

The bartender grinned. "Ya gotta admit, Myra - I ain't borin'!" He chuckled as she raised her eyes toward the ceiling and shook her head. "So, when did ya get inta town? Yesterday?"

"No, this mornin'. I just came in on the train - just now."

"Ya don't say?" Hank's eyes narrowed. "And you had time ta see Samantha, hear all about me gettin' arrested, and still manage ta get over here before the train pulled out again. You're mighty quick, Myra."

He was rewarded with a deep blush from the woman. She stepped in closer to the bars and lowered her voice. "All right - so maybe I didn't just hear bout ya this mornin'. Truth is, Hank, Samantha sent me a telegram yesterday. Thought I'd wanna know - that's what she said."

"A telegram?" Hank snorted. "I'm surprised old Horace would let her. We ain't exactly ... close ... ya know."

Myra nodded. "I was surprised too but ..."

The door burst open at exactly the same moment that Horace bellowed out from the entranceway, "Myra! What do ya think you're doin'?"

Myra drew in her breath, steadied herself, and turned around slowly. "Nice ta see you too, Horace. What do you think I'm doin'? I'm here to see our daughter."

Horace moved into the room, shaking one finger at her. "No you ain't! Don't ya try and tell me that, Myra! If ya wanted ta see Samantha so bad, why are ya over here, talkin' to ..." He flicked his hand toward Hank. "... him?! I knew it was a mistake ta let Samantha talk me inta sending you that telegram but she said it was only right, that you'd wanna know bout the murder since you was a friend of Hank's once. That's what she called ya - a friend! How could I tell her any different? She already knows bout them other fellas you entertained. How could I tell her that ya slept with Hank too?"

"Horace!" Myra gasped. Her gaze darted to McKay. The sheriff had enough courtesy to lower his head and pretend to study a paper on his desk.

"Well, ya did! But I couldn't tell Samantha that so I let her send that telegram and now look at what's happened! I never expected ya ta come runnin' like this, Myra. What are folks gonna say?"

Myra bristled. "It don't much matter what they say, does it Horace? It's you that don't approve. But it's not up to you ta tell me what I can, or can't do. We ain't married no more."

"I don't care. You're still Samantha's mother and I won't have you embarrassin' her by stickin' up for this ...." He gestured toward Hank once more. "... this cold-blooded murderer."

"Better watch yer mouth, Horace," Hank growled. "Don't be sayin' things that I'll make ya regret, once I get outta here."

Horace sneered at the man. "You ain't never gettin' outta there, Hank. They're gonna hang you."

Hank lunged toward the bars and Horace jumped backward, his eyes wide with fear. Hank laughed at him, mockingly.

"All right, folks." McKay stood up from his desk and moved around to confront all three of them. "I think that's enough. This is just gonna get ugly. Maybe both of ya should leave, til Mr. Bing cools off a bit."

Horace grabbed Myra by one arm. "You heard what the sheriff said, Myra. Come along now."

"Git yer filthy hands off her, Horace!" Hank roared.

Myra shook her arm free of Horace's grasp. "I'll leave when I'm good and ready, Horace," she spat back.

Horace turned away from her to glare at Hank. "Like I told ya a long time ago, Hank - this ain't over yet."

Hank laughed at him again and the telegraph operator stormed out of the jailhouse. Myra pulled in a deep breath and released it slowly. "I'll be back ta see you later. I'll bring ya somethin' from Grace's." She started to move away.

Hank's next words stopped her. "Myra? I gotta know. Why did ya come back here?"

She met his stare and straightened, raising her chin into the air and smiling, slightly. "Hank, the way I got it figured, ya probably haven't changed much over the years. If that's true, then I also figure that ya don't have many friends left either. Right bout now, I'd be willin' ta bet that you need one. So, here I am."

A lazy, sensual smile formed on Hank's lips. "That's my girl."

*****************
Duncan Lodge was walking down the street, in the direction of the clinic, when he saw the pretty, petite woman leaving the jailhouse. A second later, Sheriff McKay stepped out the door and stretched his arms above his head. Duncan stopped in his tracks, hesitated for a moment, then approached the man.

"Good morning, Sheriff."

"Mr. Lodge." McKay nodded at the man. "Nice day, isn't it?"

"Yes, it certainly is. I thought I might have a consultation with my client," Duncan improvised quickly. He had no intention of speaking to Hank but he could think of no other feasible excuse for his sudden appearance. "If you don't mind?"

McKay looked puzzled. "I was just headin' over to Grace's for my mornin' coffee but .... Excuse me for sayin' this, Mr. Lodge, but I got the impression the other day that Hank Lawson didn't want your help."

"Really?" Duncan assumed an air of innocence and shrugged. "Whyever would you think such a thing, sheriff?"

"Fact is ... I came inta the jail right after ya left and, judgin' by the amount of profanity comin' outta Lawson's mouth, I just ...."

"Ahh, that. I see." Duncan had no idea how to explain Hank Lawson's hostility toward him so he quickly changed the subject. "Perhaps he's thinking more clearly now. I noticed he even had a visitor this morning. A very attractive one. Who was she, by the way?"

"From what I could gather, the lady was Horace Bing's wife ... or rather, his ex-wife." McKay appeared to search his memory. "I don't think I ever met the woman. She was gone when I first came to this town, I believe."

Duncan nodded. "I heard my brother, Preston, speak quite highly of her abilities."

McKay seemed rather surprised by his remark - even a little shocked - and Duncan studied him, perplexed. "She worked for my brother in the bank, did she not?"

"Oh...those abilities," McKay breathed, flashing a relieved grin. "I thought you meant somethin' different."

"What could that be?" Duncan pursued.

McKay waved away the question. "Just somethin' I overheard, that's all. It's nothin'."

Duncan shook his head. "Such a shame, really. Horace and his wife, I mean. Divorce is an ugly affair. It seems like several couples in Colorado Springs have fallen victim to this messy .... parting of the ways."

"Several?" McKay's interest was peaked.

"Yes. Horace and Myra and now Michaela and her husband ..."

"Now hold on a minute." McKay held up one hand. "I hope you're not listenin' to all them crazy rumours, Mr. Lodge cause I can assure ya, there's no truth to em."

"Well, I beg to differ but ..."

Duncan was irritated as the man interrupted him again. "I can tell ya right now, theirs is one marriage that will last," McKay said, with deep conviction. "I was involved in the search when Sully went missin' and everyone thought he was dead, when he was hidin' out from the army ... Matter of fact, I was the commandin' officer at the time and I can tell ya, Mr. Lodge, I ain't ever seen a woman so wrapped up in her husband. Dr. Quinn was willin' ta do anythin' necessary ta clear that man's name, even if she had ta lie to the whole town and all her friends ta do it and, since then, I've seen that same kind of loyalty come back to her from Sully. There's no force on heaven or earth that could shake that marriage, Mr. Lodge, and I wouldn't believe one word of the gossip flyin' round this town, if I was you."

"What you don't realize, Sheriff McKay, is that I was there when the two of them were fighting. As a matter of fact, they were fighting in my office. And I can assure you that Sully was completely unreasonable and insensitive to his wife, sir!" He pinned McKay with an arrogant stare. "As far as Michaela being 'wrapped up' with Sully, as you so colourfully put it, I believe I understand human nature a little better than you do, sheriff. It is just a matter of time before Michaela realizes that she made a grievous mistake when she married 'below her social position'."

McKay snorted, softly, a dismissive sound that infuriated Duncan.

"You're dead wrong, Mr. Lodge."

"Oh, am I? Have you not heard that Sully has been missing for three days now? No one knows where he is."

McKay seemed unimpressed. "I'm sure there's a reasonable explanation."

Duncan had no desire to stand there and bicker with this stubborn man any longer. McKay was blindly ignoring evidence that was as clear as the nose on the man's face! Incensed, he spun around on his heel, preparing to leave.

"I thought ya wanted ta talk to Hank Lawson?" McKay reminded him, quietly.

"Right at the moment, I'm in no mood to speak with anyone! I've had enough arguments for one day!"

He stomped off down the street, leaving McKay to stare after him, a contemplative expression on the man's face.

******************
Sully pounded the final nail into the roof and sat back to admire his work. It wasn't much to look at but it would keep the snow and rain out of White Feather's cabin over the winter. He smiled, pleased with his efforts.

"Well lad, we make a good team, wouldn't ya say?"

He glanced over at Patrick O'Donnell. The old Irishman was grinning at him and Sully couldn't resist the urge to return the smile. Patrick's friendliness was contagious and it was tough to remain detached from the man. Patrick had a manner that, automatically, put people at ease. Sully had to sternly remind himself to stay objective, if he ever hoped to find out O'Donnell's true motives for being in Colorado Springs.

O'Donnell wiped his brow with the back of his hand and sighed. "After all this work, I feel like goin' into town for a wee pint of ale. Would ya be thinkin' of joining me, lad?"

Sully shook his head. "No, thanks."

"Ah, you're not a drinkin' man then? Well, I suppose there's always one in every crowd but never mind, you're still a good lad, in spite of that."

The man stood up and carefully edged his way toward the ladder. Sully was left to clean up the left-over nails and pick up both hammers. By the time he followed Patrick and descended to the ground, the man had already saddled a horse and was riding off in the direction of town. Sully shook his head, slightly amused.

He stowed the nails and hammers in the barn and walked toward the cabin, intent on informing White Feather and Luke that he was finished and then leaving to spend the remainder of the day with Cloud Dancing. Staying with his friend at night was proving to be a little awkward. Sully was the only one who knew about Cloud Dancing and Dorothy's secret marriage. He was also the only one who realized that Dorothy stole away from town several evenings a week to spend the night with her husband, in his teepee, then returned before sunrise the next morning. The couple asked Sully not to tell anyone and he honoured their wishes, guarding against revealing the truth to everyone, including Michaela. But he badgered both of them, time and again, urging them to summon up enough courage to declare their love for each other, in front of the entire town. "We will, Sully .. we will. When the time is right," Dorothy kept insisting. Sully wondered if the time would ever be right. He knew what bothered the woman. She'd never had a proper church wedding and she worried that their Cheyenne wedding ceremony, in the eyes of the townsfolk, wouldn't be viewed as legal, that she would be accused of living in sin.

At any rate, he'd built a lean-to not far from Cloud Dancing's teepee and this was where he spent his nights, looking up at the stars and thinking about Michaela - longing to touch her, hold her, kiss her. It made no difference if he'd seen her during the day, the nights were the worst. The darkness only served to heighten the ache inside of him.

He knocked, softly, on the cabin door and then eased it open, poking his head inside. "All done out here," he announced. "I'll just be on my way."

White Feather was stirring something inside a cooking pot suspended over the blaze in the fireplace and she spun around, the wooden spoon in one hand. "No. You must stay for supper. I cooked a large pot of stew and now my brother-in-law has ridden off into town. Luke and I cannot eat so much food all alone."

"I can't .. I ..."

"You must stay." She was using that authoritative tone of voice again, the one that left him feeling powerless and pliable. He had trouble arguing with this woman. Luke, however, had no such reservations.

"He doesn't want to stay," he told his mother, sharply. "You heard him say so. We'll do just fine without him."

"Two Trails," White Feather chastised, using the boy's Indian name. Then she launched into an angry speech in Cheyenne. Sully was quite fluent in the native tongue but the woman was speaking so rapidly that it was difficult to catch all her words. She was browbeating Luke for being rude and unfriendly, in view of everything that Sully had done for them. Then she accused him of listening to the wrong people.

Luke sprang to his feet, his chair toppling to the floor, and shoved past Sully on his way out the door. The boy marched across the yard and disappeared inside the barn. White Feather sighed and gestured toward Sully, coaxing him to come inside. He shut the door behind him as he, once again, obeyed without thinking. A commanding air surrounded her and it discouraged any protests.

"I must apologize for my son," she said, softly. "He has been listening to some of the people in town speaking. He was in there today, for supplies, and they are saying that you have ... how do you say it? ... abandoned your wife. Luke is angry with you."

Sully nodded. "I guess I can't blame him much for that."

The woman studied Sully's face and he felt slightly uncomfortable. "Is this the truth, Sully? Are you no longer living with your wife? Are you living apart?"

Sully had no desire to lie to the woman but he couldn't exactly tell her the truth either. "For now," he said, hedging around the issue.

"Sit," she ordered, sweeping out one hand to indicate the chair. Sully followed her instructions as she removed the pot of stew from the fire, setting it down in the centre of the table. She ladled out a huge portion onto Sully's plate, then a more modest serving onto her own. As she was settling into her chair, she spoke again.

"Sometimes people change as the years pass. Their affection for each other changes also." Sully didn't respond and it seemed to give her the necessary incentive to continue. "People they once loved no longer seem as important to them. And ..." She paused for a second before taking the final plunge. "other people that they never before noticed can suddenly become very important."

When the words were hanging in the air between them, White Feather looked up and stared directly into his eyes, the intensity in her expression piercing through him. Reaching out, she covered his hand with her fingers. Startled, Sully quickly dropped his gaze to stare down at the stew on his plate. She let her hand fall back to her side and he picked up his fork, struggling to pretend that nothing out of the ordinary had just taken place.

As if things weren't already complicated enough, this whole deception had just taken on a new twist.

Chapter 6
by Jean McQuaid

There's Always Tomorrow....

So what if today the sun doesn't shine, life would still carry on.
Clouds that blanket the earth right now, tomorrow may all be gone.
Like the hands of time that will not stop, although we'd like them to,
Ticking away through the darkness of night, moving on to a day that's new.
Live for this moment, it soon will be gone, get what you can out of life.

Try to find happiness, joy and content, triumph over sadness and strife.
There'll always be days that the sun won't shine, and your heart will be filled with sorrow,
Don't give up hope for those clouds to be gone, just remember, there's always tomorrow.

By : Jean McQuaid
******************
The sun had been up for hours, but Michaela was too busy daydreaming to get out of bed. She watched intently as the tiny dust sparkles danced in the sunlight shining through the open window. The nights seemed endless and loneliness was taking its toll on her emotions. The morning sun was a welcome sight, bringing with it new hope that normality would be restored and Sully would come home, where he belonged. Closing her eyes, she made a wish, but the spot beside her was still vacant when she opened them again. Running the back of her hand across his pillow, she could almost feel the warmth of his body and imagine him lying beside her. Many mornings she'd lay awake watching his chest rise and fall with each breath he took, as he slept peacefully. This was her own special time alone, a time when she could adore him body and soul and give thanks that this amazing and loving man was, indeed, her husband. "Oh Sully........."

"Mama? Mama? Are you ever gonna get up?"

With the sound of Katie's sweet voice came the realization that she wasn't the only one missing Sully. His family needed him as well.

"Good morning to you too, Katie, " Michaela replied as she patted the bed, signaling for Katie to join her. "Have you had your breakfast yet?"

"Yes, Mama. Brian and I already ate but it's not the same without you and Papa. When's he comin home, Mama?"

"I wish I knew, Katie." The desolate look in the young girl's eyes tugged at her heart strings. "You miss him, don't you?"

"A whole bunch!"

"Me too, Katie. Me too."

******************
Sully was also feeling the strain of being alienated from his wife and family. There was a time when he was afraid of finding love again but now, he couldn't imagine his life without Michaela. Opening his eyes every morning to see her delicate face smiling down on him, gave him a true sense of belonging. What he wouldn't give to be with her right now, holding her, loving her. He never let on that he was very much aware of her morning stares, but as much as she seemed to enjoy watching him, he enjoyed it more, so he allowed her that time alone.

"Good morning, my brother. You slept well?"

Sully sat up quickly. "Cloud Dancin', I didn't hear ya come in."

"You were thinking of Michaela?"

Sully smiled then dropped his head. "What are we doin', Cloud Dancin' ? Me askin' you ta keep this a secret from Dorothy and you askin' me ta keep your marriage a secret from Michaela. "

"I have thought of this myself. It is not right that we keep secrets from our wives and I am sure they will not be pleased when they find out."

The two men looked at each other, smiling slightly.

"You don't think what Michaela an' me are doin' is right, do ya?"

"What I think does not matter, but I can see that you are not happy. Is there no other way to help this man?"

"Cloud Dancin', ya don't understand....."

"I understand more than you know, Sully. I am caught between two different worlds and must be patient until the time is right to announce my marriage. But you, Sully, have chosen to be apart from your wife and family, a sacrifice you make for this man called Hank. This is what makes you the man you are, my brother, and why I will always stand behind any decision you make. But there are other people to think about. White Feather has also seen your unhappiness and a new light shines in her eyes, a light of love, for you."

"It's that obvious?" Sully thought for a moment. "That musta' been why Luke was actin' the way he was. My guess is, he's seen somethin' too."

"I know you love your wife, very much, but you must tell White Feather before it is too late. Before she loses her heart to you."

"You're right, Cloud Dancin'. You gotta know that I never meant for this ta happen and now I'm wonderin' if it's all worth it."

*****************
"Mornin' Mrs. Montgomery." Matthew tipped his hat.

Margaret Montgomery's face lit up. "Matthew, come in. Please, take a seat in the parlor and I'll get Madison."

"Actually, Ma'am, I do want to see Madison but, well, I wanna talk to you too."

"With me? Why yes, of course, dear boy. I'll get my daughter and be right back. Now make yourself comfortable."

It didn't take long for mother and daughter to return. Madison was never shy around her mother and, since she and Matthew were engaged, she didn't hesitate about putting her arms around Matthew, expecting a big kiss. "Good Morning, Mr. Cooper. I do hope all is well with you this fine morning?"

Matthew was a little embarrassed but he was a man in love and enjoyed stealing a kiss from Madi. "Mornin' "

"Ahem," Mrs. Montgomery interrupted. "So Matthew, what did you wish to talk to me about?"

Matthew gently eased Madi's arms from his neck. "I, uh, well...it's about this telegram I got from my mother."

"Oh, you got a telegram from Dr. Mike?" Madison appeared quite anxious.

"What does she say? Is everything all right?"

"Madison, please, let the poor boy speak and I do wish you'd refer to Matthew's mother as Mrs. Sully. Once you are married, of course, you shall then call her Mother. But please, darling, act the proper lady you were brought up to be!"

"Mother really, Dr. Mike doesn't mind me calling her, Dr. Mike and, quite frankly, I kind of like the name. I think it has a certain..."

It was Matthew's turn to interrupt now. "Excuse me ladies, but I really need your help."

"Oh Matthew, I'm sorry. Now what has you so concerned?"

"I didn't think too much about the telegram when I first read it, but after I got to thinkin', well, somethin's not right. I get this feeling in my gut that she's tryin' to tell me more."

"What does it say?"

As Matthew read the telegram Brian had asked Horace to send, a look of perplexity washed across the face of Margaret Montgomery.

"I don't see any hidden message, Matthew, but maybe........Mother?" Madison looked over at her mother who had now taken a seat. Mrs. Montgomery's face was pale and her breathing rapid. "Mother? Are you all right?" Madi inquired, rushing to her mother's side.

"Yes dear. It's just that name, Duncan. I know I've heard it before but, for the life of me, I don't remember when."

"Isn't there anything you can tell me about this guy, Mrs. Montgomery? Maybe you recognize the last name, Lodge. His family's in banking and his brother, Preston, built a Chateau in Colorado Springs after he opened the town's first bank. Does that help you any?"

"Yes, I do remember the name Lodge and, now that you mention it, I do believe my husband had business with the senior Mr. Lodge. But the name Duncan," She hesitated. "Something about that name sends a chill up my spine and I can't remember why."

"Oh, I almost forgot, Duncan Lodge is a lawyer. Maybe Mr. Montgomery had legal matters with him? Could that be it?" Matthew pressed on.

"No, I, well...oh dear, I'm so sorry. I wish my husband were here, I'm sure he'd be able to tell you more about the man. He'll be home at six o'clock, Matthew. Why don't you come back tonight and dine with us? You can ask him all about this Mr. Lodge yourself."

Matthew had hoped to avoid confronting Madison's father. Mr. Montgomery was a pleasant man, but their conversations always focused on the business of banking, a topic Matthew found very boring. "Thanks, Mrs. Montgomery, I'd be honored to join you for dinner."

"Wonderful!" Mrs. Montgomery seemed quite pleased. "Now why don't I get some tea and we can start making plans for this wedding of yours. I have so many delightful ideas but, of course, it's your wedding and I wouldn't dream of intruding if you've already made plans of your own."

Silently, Matthew thanked Dr. Mike's telegram for giving him the perfect excuse to leave. "Well, actually, I've got some work to do right now but maybe we can talk about this when I come back for dinner tonight."

"Of course, Matthew. I do understand. Just like a banker, a lawyer's work is never done. Oh my dear boy, you'll make a wonderful son-in-law and I can hardly wait to meet the rest of your family. I'm sure, if they're half as charming as you, we'll get along just fine. Now if you two will excuse me, I must tell the cook to prepare something special for tonight."

Madison turned back to Matthew. "Now that I have you all to myself, do you really have to go?"

"I gotta go check out this Duncan Lodge for Ma. It shouldn't take long." He headed for the door but turned back to take Madi's hands in his. "I hope your mother won't be too disappointed when she finds out we're gettin' married in Colorado Springs. That is what we agreed on, isn't it?"

Madison threw her arms around his shoulders again. "Oh Matthew, it's our wedding and we'll decide when and where we'll be married. Now you run along and leave my mother to me."

He dropped a soft kiss on her forehead. "I love you, Madi."

"But I love you more," she teased.

******************
Michaela didn't have much of an appetite for lunch, but since she'd skipped breakfast, a cup of hot coffee and piece of Grace's apple pie might help to settle her nerves. Thankfully, it had been a busy morning and she didn't have to worry about facing any of her friends. But the growling noise in her stomach left her with no other choice but to set the stage for act two of the play she and Sully had written. But this was no theater production, this was a real life plan to trap a murderer and every word she spoke, every action she took, was crucial to its outcome.

Grace was busy serving a customer but, once she saw Michaela, she beckoned to one of her girls to take over. Dorothy, on the other hand, must have seen the doctor leave the clinic and was right on Michaela's heels. But the unexpected surprise was when Myra appeared from out of nowhere.

"Don't mind if we join ya do ya, Dr. Mike?" Grace asked, already taking a chair.

"No, of course not. And Myra, what a wonderful surprise."

"Just came ta see how my baby girl was doin'. I really miss her, ya know, a lot."

"Yes, I'm sure you do. I couldn't imagine being separated from Katie so long. I'd be lost without her."

"She must be a real comfort to ya right now, Dr. Mike, with Sully gone........." Myra covered her mouth. "I'm sorry, I didn't mean ta.........."

"It's quite all right, Myra. I think it's about time I told you ladies the truth."

"Oh Michaela, you know you can trust us. We only wanna help." Dorothy's sympathetic smile made Michaela feel uneasy.

"I know, Dorothy, and I love you all for caring. It isn't an easy thing to talk about, as I'm sure you know, Myra, but it's time I pulled my head out of the sand and shared my feelings with my very dear friends."

"I just can't believe that you 'an Sully can't work this out, Dr. Mike. I mean, Robert E. and me, why we always thought you two were meant to be together. You're so much in love."

"Me either. I was so shocked when Dorothy told me 'bout you and Sully. Why I still don't believe it, " Myra added.

'What am I doing? 'Michaela asked herself. 'I'm a doctor, not an actress.' There were no acting skills involved with being a doctor and it wasn't in her nature to lie. In fact, one of her strongest attributes was the fact she was so open and outspoken. Did she really think she could pull the wool over the eyes of those who knew her best and put on the performance of her life? Michaela closed her eyes and took a deep breath, trying to recall any upsetting or sad moment from her past that would give her cause to cry. To her own amazement, it worked, and the tears began to flow.

"Oh, you poor thing," Dorothy sighed as she patted Michaela's hand. "Take your time. This can't be easy for ya."

'If you only knew, Dorothy,' she thought. 'You probably wouldn't be feeling so sorry for me. In fact you'd most likely storm off and never speak to me again.'

"Dorothy's right, Dr. Mike. You just take all the time you need. We'll be right here for ya," Grace responded, in a very reassuring manner.

As awkward as it was, if she didn't continue now she would lose the momentum and might never get the courage back to do it at all.

"It's all my fault. I should have seen it coming. Maybe my Mother was right after all, maybe Sully and I don't have enough in common and I was just too blind and stubborn to see it. But I'm afraid it's too late now. Neither of us can change who we are or where we came from. I only hope that we can remain good friends, at least for our family's sake."

Michaela looked up to see what their reactions would be, hoping she didn't appear too out of character. But the looks on their faces seemed to say it all and they were now shedding tears of their own. However, as much as she was pleased that her little act had fooled her friends, she was even more pleased that it attracted the attention of the man sitting at another table, Duncan Lodge. Although feeling rather guilty about lying to her friends, the seed had been planted and Duncan received the message he was meant to hear. Now all she had to do was wait for him to come to her as she had set the perfect stage for the next act.

Concerned that any more said would create suspicion, she decided it was time to make a hasty retreat. "Thank you for listening and for being there for me. You'll never know how comforting it is to have such good friends."

"Oh Michaela, are you sure you're gonna be all right? Now, if you need anythin'....."

"I'll be just fine, Dorothy. In fact, I feel a lot better knowing that it's finally out in the open. Now, if you'll excuse me, there's someone else I need to see." And with that, she was gone.

*******************
Andrew stepped out onto the porch of the Chateau to be with his wife, who'd been rocking in a chair for what seemed like hours. Pulling up a chair to seat himself beside her, he wondered if she'd even notice him. "Colleen, you were gone when I awoke this morning. Are you okay?"

"I'm sorry, Andrew," she replied as she reached for his hand. "It just seems like things were starting to get back to normal after those awful storms and now......I'm really worried about Ma. Do you think she's in any danger?"

"I don't like it either, Colleen, but I'm sure Sully wouldn't let anything happen to Michaela."

"But Sully's not staying at home and he's hardly ever in town. What if...?"

"Colleen, they've been through things like this before. I'm sure they know what they're doing."

"I just wish I could believe that but they're dealing with a murderer this time and I think he's even more dangerous than any one of those tornadoes."

"Would you feel better if I dropped into the clinic every once in a while, just to keep an eye on things?"

"Would you? "

"Of course. I can always come up with a good excuse to visit Dr. Quinn and besides, I'm as concerned as you are."

"Maybe it's silly of me to worry so much but,..........."

Andrew lifted his wife's hand to his lips. "Colleen, it's not silly at all. I've always envied the deep love your family has for each other. It's special. And don't you ever think it's silly to worry about their well being. That's what a loving and caring family does."

She looked over at her husband with more love and respect in her heart than she'd ever known. "Do you have any idea how much I love you, Andrew Cook?"

He smiled back. "I have a pretty good idea, because I feel the same way about you, Colleen."

*******************
"Flowers, for me Michaela? " Hank's sarcastic greeting was normal, but not welcome right now.

"Actually, Hank, they're for Violet."

His mood went suddenly somber as he dropped his head. "Did she get a decent burial, Michaela? I shoulda been there."

Michaela could see he was earnestly distraught. "Yes, she did, Hank. It was a simple ceremony but the Reverend handled it very well. I'm sorry I didn't come to tell you about it sooner, but as you know, there's a lot going on in my life right now."

"Well, you're here now and I appreciate all ya done for her. Vi was a nice girl. She deserved a lot more than she got."

"I couldn't agree more, Hank, but it's you we have to be concerned with now and I'm afraid you're not getting too much support from the people of this town."

"Does that really surprise ya?"

"Honestly? No. But one never stops hoping, do they?"

"Thanks, Michaela. Bein' locked up in here's given me plenty 'a time to think about things and one of 'em is you."

"Me?"

"Ya you, Michaela Quinn. You never deserved all them awful things I said and did to ya either. Fact is, 'an this is between you 'n me, I always thought you was more of a woman than any I've ever met before. You got more brains 'n guts than anybody I know and I wish now, I'd been more respectin' of ya."

Michaela was dumbfounded by his revelation. She never knew he felt this way about her but, then, how could she? Hank wouldn't allow the real person he was inside to ever surface, out of fear that he'd look like a sissy, that he wouldn't be, 'one of the boys'. She didn't want to spoil the moment so she kept quiet but looked up at him with a compassionate and understanding smile.

"I'd better be going now. Is there anything you want me to say to Violet for you?"

"Naw, you'll be sayin' all the right things 'an a whole lot better than me anyway."

With that she turned and stepped outside the Sheriff's office but was stopped by McKay as he followed her, closing the door behind him.

"Dr. Quinn, can I have a word with you?"

"Certainly, Sheriff." Michaela was being cautious. "Does this have something to do with Hank?"

"Well no, actually, you, Ma'am"

"Me?"

"I'm not much of a gossip but I hear tell you and Mr. Sully, well, if what they're sayin' is true, then I'm real sorry, Dr. Quinn. I know we've had our differences in the past but I never lost respect for either you or your husband. I know the type of people you are and how you risk your own lives to help other folks when they need it. I only wish there was somethin' I could do to help you."

Michaela was quite taken aback. "Thank you, Sergeant..., I mean Sheriff McKay. I appreciate your concern, but I'll be fine. Now, if you'll excuse me, I really must be going."

*******************
"Aw, that poor girl."

"Loren?"

"Sorry Dr. Mike I didn't mean to startle ya. I was just puttin' some flowers on Maude and Abigail's graves when I saw ya standin' over here."

They stood in silence for a few moments, each deep in their own thoughts.

"I always wondered what kinda family those type of girls came from that would allow 'em to......well, you know..."

"Most of 'those girls', as you put it, have no family and do what they have to do to survive. Without a proper education or a loving family to care about them, they do whatever is necessary to put a roof over their heads and food on the table."

"Like poor Violet here, ah ... no family to say good bye when ya pass on. It's a good thing you're doin', Dr. Mike, puttin' them flowers on her grave. Why I still can't believe Hank killed her."

"We don't know that he did, Loren."

"But Sheriff McKay's got proof 'an we all saw how angry he got with her, I figure he just lost control. Terrible thing. Just awful."

Loren Bray quietly backed away, leaving Michaela alone to place the bouquet of flowers she'd picked in the meadow on Violet's grave. "Oh Violet, who did this to you? No one deserves to die like this. No one."

Michaela Quinn wiped away a stray tear from her cheek and then ran her fingers across the name, Violet Patterson, which Jake had carved into the wooden grave marker. She kept her eyes on the mound of dirt that now blanketed the girl who, in life, had meant nothing to anyone except maybe Hank, but, in death, was creating a situation so dangerous and disturbing to everyone.

"Maybe I couldn't help you when you were alive, but I promise justice will be served, Violet, and the monster who did this will pay."

Methodically, Michaela walked back to her clinic, oblivious to the world around her. Images swirled around in her head, confusing and terrifying. She saw Katie and Colleen, both laughing and enjoying life, secure in the love of their family. But suddenly, her images were of a young girl with angry hands tightening around her throat, squeezing tighter and tighter until she finally succumbed to their strength and took her last breath of life. Michaela started to run and didn't stop until she was safely secluded in the confines of her clinic.

For the first time since this whole ordeal began, she was scared. She'd acted in haste many times before, putting her own life in danger but feeling secure that Sully was always there to save her. But this time was different. She would face Duncan Lodge alone and try to force him into a confession, an admission of murder. That was, of course, if he really did kill Violet. They were trusting the words of Hank Lawson, a man himself looking every bit as guilty as Duncan. What if they'd all been taken in by Hank and they were about to set up a completely innocent man?

She still couldn't figure Duncan out. He was different from his brother but there was still so much they didn't know about him. And, if he was dangerous and found out about their little facade, would he take revenge and possibly harm Colleen or even Katie? Clearly a man who could murder a woman in cold blood wouldn't think twice about taking another life.

Michaela paced the floor of her clinic. She needed to talk about this but there was only one person who could calm her fears and refill her strength to carry out this deception. She grabbed her medical bag and coat and, after locking the front door behind her, mounted Flash and rode out of town.

****************
"Dr. Mike, I am surprised to see you."

"I'm a little surprised myself, Cloud Dancing, but I really need to see Sully."

"Is everything all right?"

"Yes, I just ........"

"I understand. I will let you two be alone. He is in there."

"Thank you."

Sully, his thoughts a million miles away, sat staring into the flames of the fire and didn't notice as the flap to the teepee was suddenly pulled back.

"Sully?"

He looked up to see the silhouette of someone standing in the shadows. "Michaela?" Was she really here or was she just an illusion his mind had conjured up? "Is that really you?"

"It's really me!"

Sully quickly got to his feet and, in no time, she was in his arms, tears flowing down her cheeks. "Sully, I don't know if I can do this anymore. I feel so alone and confused."

He held on tight, allowing her build-up of emotions to be released. Running his fingers through her long, silky hair, he could feel the obvious strain in her body start to ease. "Michaela, you're never alone. You're here with me now."

Finally she felt secure enough to be released from the protective hold of his arms and they sat down together, warming themselves by the fire.

"Has somethin' happened?" Sully could feel the muscles in his own body go tense now. "Did Duncan do..."

"No Sully, it's nothing like that."

"Then what is it? Come on, Michaela, talk to me."

Slowly but cautiously relaxing, she started to unravel the events of the day as Sully listened intently. "I don't really know where to begin. My mind keeps going in circles. One minute, I believe Duncan is the murderer and, the next, I think it's Hank. But I saw Hank today and Sully, I know in my heart that he couldn't have killed Violet, at least not intentionally. I know how angry he can get but I honestly don't think he's capable of that type of violence. I know it and I could see it in Myra's eyes. She knows it as well."

"Myra's back?"

"Apparently to see Samantha, so she said."

"But you think Myra came back ta see Hank, don't ya?"

"I don't know what to think anymore, Sully. Don't you find it rather odd that she shows up now? She could have come at any time to see her daughter, but why now?"

"I always did think she had deep feelins' for Hank. I figure Horace could sense that too. But what about Duncan?"

"As luck would have it, he got quite an earful today and he didn't hide the fact that he thoroughly enjoyed watching me play the part of a heart broken wife. But I still don't know what all of this has to do with Violet. What motive would he have for killing her, Sully?"

"I guess that's what we gotta find out."

Well, no matter who did it or why, I made her a promise that I'd find the person responsible and, if that's Duncan Lodge, then he'll get what he deserves. After the show I put on today, there's no doubt in my mind that he's quite convinced you and I are separated."

"I know it musta been hard Michaela, lying to your friends and all. Sure ya still wanna go through with this?"

"No, I'm not sure," she sighed. "That's why I had to see you, Sully. I don't know what I believe anymore."

He hesitated before answering. "I ain't all that sure either, Michaela. Lodge an' O'Donnell bein' strangers in town seems pretty obvious ta me, an' I never did trust Hank."

She was curious. "Patrick O'Donnell? But Sully, I thought......... "

"Michaela, we can't afford to be trustin' anybody right now, least of all folks we know nothin' about."

For Michaela, the introduction of yet another suspect was even more unsettling. "Oh Sully, what if Hank really did kill Violet and can't remember because he was so full of whisky and hate? That means this whole plan to set up Duncan could back-fire and someone could get hurt."

"Don't tell me you're afraid of hurtin' the likes 'a Duncan Lodge?"

"I was thinking more about our own daughters, Katie and Colleen. If this person, whoever he is, could take the life of Violet Patterson in such a cold blooded manner, what's to stop him from harming any one else out of revenge? It scares me more to think we might be putting our family in danger. There was a time we'd stop at nothing to help another human being, but this time I'm so afraid we're dealing with a more dangerous and evil mind. I almost gave in today until I stopped by to place flowers on Violet's grave. It made me realize that we're not only helping Hank, but allowing Violet Patterson to rest in peace. No one even gave that poor girl the time of day until she was murdered and they still don't care about her, they just want to see Hank get what he deserves."

"We've seen it before. They're all so fired up over hangin' someone, they don't take the time ta find out the truth."

"Exactly, Sully. Why is it always you and me who get caught up in the middle of all these situations? I thought Colorado Springs had come a long way since I'd first stepped foot in it. But, I'm not so sure now. Will the day ever come when our family can live in peace, not having to jeopardize our own happiness because others won't get involved?"

Sully pulled her into his arms again. "I dunno, Michaela."

"I'm quite anxious to hear back from Matthew. He should have received the telegram we sent by now. And I've asked Brian to keep Katie at home. It's getting more difficult each day to keep her pacified. I'm afraid she's very much her mother's daughter, very outspoken."

Sully responded by kissing his wife passionately on the lips. "I know."

"There's something else," she muttered as she began drawing circles in the soft dirt at her side.

Sully was very curious. "What's that?"

"Well, before I came here, I stopped in at the homestead and told Brian I was coming to see you. I also told him that I might not be back until morning. I want to spend the night here, with you."

Chapter Seven...