Chapter 7
by Sandi 99

"Michaela, you can't go on like this."

"Like what?"

"Pretendin' like nothin's happened. Ya gotta ..."

"Sorry but I really don't have time to visit right now."

"You're the dearest friend I've ever known. You're not gettin' rid of me that easy."

Dorothy to Michaela - Washita - Part 2.
**************
Sully yanked his gaze away from the smouldering desire in Michaela's eyes to survey their surroundings. They were sitting in Cloud Dancing's teepee. His wife assumed that Sully was staying with his friend and he'd given her every reason to believe this. He'd assured Colleen that he would be sleeping here but, at the time, he hadn't given much thought to Cloud Dancing's relationship with Dorothy. Now Michaela was expecting to spend the night with him, expecting him to be every bit as eager as she was and excited by the prospect. He eased away from her slightly, letting his arms slacken around her.

"What's wrong?" she asked, anxiously.

"Michaela, nothin' could please me more - ya know that. I wanna be with you but ..." He glanced around again. "This is Cloud Dancin's teepee. We can't just ...."

She smiled at him, teasingly. "I'm sure he'd understand. I'm certain Cloud Dancing would be happy to find someplace else to spend the night." She ran her hand along the front of his shirt, easing her fingers through the unbuttoned neckline to caress his chest. "Why don't you ask him?" she whispered.

He shook his head. "I got a better idea." He stood up abruptly and pulled Michaela to her feet. She looked slightly shocked, as well as a little annoyed. "I got an old lean-to, not far from here. We can go there."

"But ..."

He settled his lips over her mouth, silencing her protests. "It'll be better," he murmured, when the kiss ended. "Trust me."

She smiled up at him. "I always have."

He took her hand before pushing back the flap and leaving the teepee. As they followed the barely visible path through the woods, Michaela stayed close to his side, hugging up against him. His body grew warm as he breathed in the scent of her, relishing her soft curves. God, how he loved this woman!

All he could think, as they made their way toward the lean-to, was that he'd temporarily lost his sanity when he'd agreed to her scheme. How could he allow Michaela to place herself in danger? How could he let her expose herself to a potential madman? What she said in the teepee was the truth - they were always caught up in the middle of these situations. When would they have some peace? When would it be time for their family, for each other? All of a sudden, it wasn't worth it - the lies, the deceit, the long nights spent apart. None of it made sense. And, if anything ever happened to Michaela .... He couldn't even think about that. It would tear him apart!

They arrived at the lean-to and ducked down to scramble inside the structure. As soon as they settled onto the buffalo robe that covered the bottom, Michaela wound her arms around Sully's neck and began to kiss him, passionately. Just as he'd done earlier, he eased back from her.

"Michaela ... I got somethin' ta say," he stated, firmly.

She frowned at him and he continued. "I been thinkin' bout it and ....I don't want you to do this any longer. It's too dangerous. Somethin' could happen to ya and ..."

She placed her fingers over his lips. "Sully, we've already discussed this. You know as well as I do that we need to do what's right."

He shook his head, stubbornly. "It ain't worth it. Michaela, I spent a lot of time a few years back hidin' out, away from my family, away from you. I don't wanna do it again."

"That was different," she argued. "It was months and months, Sully. This is only a matter of another few days - maybe a week, at the most."

"And if what you said is true?" he challenged. "What if Hank really did do it? It's possible. We could go to all this trouble for nothin', Michaela."

She sighed, heavily. "I know." She paused before adding, "I came out here tonight to get reassurance from you, only to find out that you have as many doubts as I do." They fell into silence for a long time, both lost in their own reflections. Finally, Michaela spoke once again. "What we have to ask ourselves is this, Sully - if we give up this charade right now and let them convict Hank, will we be able to live with ourselves? Will you, Sully? Without ever really knowing whether or not he's guilty? Could you live with that?" She drew a deep breath and touched his face, tracing the line of his jaw with her fingertips. "I don't think I could. I think it would haunt me forever."

"Maybe," he agreed, reluctantly, "but it would kill me if anythin' happened to you, Michaela. I couldn't stand ta ....."

She silenced him with a kiss. "Nothing will happen to me, Sully," she reassured him, softly. "I know you. Somehow you'll find a way to keep an eye on me. You always have. I'm very certain that you'll be on hand to protect me."

He opened his mouth to protest but she gently pushed him down onto the buffalo robe and leaned over him. "Let's discuss this later," she suggested, before claiming his lips once more.

****************
Michaela woke up before the sun stroked the sky with fingers of light. For a moment, she was disoriented but then she felt the warmth of her husband against her and the memory of their passionate encounter came flooding back to her. She smiled in the darkness, snuggling up against Sully. They lay beneath the buffalo robe, naked, and she closed her eyes, giving in to every delicious sensation - the feel of his skin against hers, the woodsy, musky scent of campfires and evergreen pitch that surrounded them, the slight tickle of his hair against her cheek. When dawn crept over them, she reopened her eyes and stared at his peaceful face. She had to resist the urge to reach out and touch him. She would never grow tired of looking at his rugged, handsome features. Desire fluttered within her and she steeled herself against it. Sully needed to sleep. Their mutual enthusiasm had kept them awake for quite some time and they'd only had a couple of hours rest. But she could no longer lie there, staring at him, without acting on her impulses either. With a firm resolve, she sat up and ran her hand along the ground until she located her clothing. Not wanting to disturb him, she threw on the clothes carelessly, not bothering to tuck in her blouse or run her fingers through her hair. She slid out from beneath the buffalo robe, slipped her feet into her boots and quietly crept out of the lean-to, unnoticed.

As she stepped into the woods, she had no idea of where she was going. It didn't matter. It was a beautiful, warm September morning and all of nature was awakening. Michaela strolled through the forest, listening to the call of the birds, the squirrels scurrying in the underbrush, the static hum of insects. For the moment, she was tranquil, relaxed, serene. She was well aware that, once she returned to Colorado Springs, the burden of deceit and pretence would envelope her again but, for now, she shoved all of it to the back of her mind. She was a woman in love, a woman cherished by her husband, a woman immensely satisfied. She wanted to hold onto that feeling for as long as possible.

She didn't realize that she'd been heading back in the direction of Cloud Dancing's teepee until she emerged from the treeline and spotted the structure. She smiled to herself, wondering if Cloud Dancing would be awake yet. At that moment, the flap of his teepee was thrown open. The identity of the person stepping out into the early morning sunlight momentarily paralyzed Michaela with shock. The woman was wrapped in a blanket, but it was obvious from her bare legs and feet that she wore little, if anything, beneath it.

Recovering her senses, Michaela took a step forward. She didn't think about the repercussions of what she was about to do. "Dorothy!" she exclaimed. "What on earth ....?!"

Dorothy spun around and stared at Michaela, her mouth gaping.

"Michaela? Why are you ....?"

Michaela didn't give the woman a chance to finish the question. "I can't believe this, Dorothy! I mean, what you do is your own business but ... do you think it's .... advisable .... to conduct yourself in such a manner?"

Dorothy's face flushed crimson. "No, ya don't understand. I ... we're ... what I mean ta say is ... Cloud Dancin' and me ... we're ... married, Michaela! We're man and wife."

If Michaela had been shocked before, she was even more so now. "Married?" She moved forward to face her friend. "For how long? Why haven't you told me?"

"A .. a long time now," Dorothy stammered, guiltily. "I would have told ya but ... well, Sully knew but ..."

"Sully knew?!" Michaela repeated, incredulously. "And he never said anything to me?"

"We asked him not to, Michaela," Dorothy explained. "The thing is, we were .... I was ... afraid that you wouldn't approve."

"Why on earth would you think that?"

"Because ...." Dorothy drew in a breath, apparently struggling with the confession. "We didn't get married in a ...real church ceremony. We got married the Cheyenne way. No minister ... Just Cloud Dancin's spirits and God. I thought that no one would understand. You know the way that folks view the Indian rituals, Michaela. They think all the Indians are heathens and their ceremonies ..well, they sure don't accept 'em. So I thought ...."

"But you told Sully," Michaela accused. "Dorothy, I thought you and I were friends - best friends. How could you keep this from me? You've been lying to me all this time."

Dorothy looked devastated but, before she could defend herself, Sully's voice split the morning air.

"Michaela! Where are ya?"

"Over here, Sully!" Michaela called back, staring in the direction of the treeline.

Sully entered the clearing, a slight smile on his face. He wore only his buckskin trousers, without bothering to pull on his shirt. Unconsciously, Michaela let her gaze roam over his broad chest before returning her attention to Dorothy once more.

Dorothy was staring at Sully, a frown of confusion on her face. Then her gaze shifted as she took in Michaela's dishevelled appearance for the first time. A light of comprehension entered her eyes. She raised her brows and stared down at her friend.

"Seems like I ain't the only one who's been lying, Michaela," she remarked, coldly.

Sully's smile had faded the minute he'd spotted Dorothy and noticed the tension in the woman's body. Now, as she squared off against Michaela, Sully scrambled for words. "I ... I just ..." He gestured toward the forest behind him for no particular reason, with absolutely no idea of what he would say next. But it didn't matter. Dorothy wasn't listening to him as she glared at Michaela. Cloud Dancing stepped out of the teepee and halted behind his wife. He quickly surveyed the situation, sized it up, and then looked toward Sully, his expression silently coaxing his friend to step in and do something. Sully shrugged, helplessly.

"I can explain," Michaela began but Dorothy held up one hand.

"Save your breath!" Indignation sharpened the woman's words. "I woulda never believed it, Michaela. After what happened before, when the army was chasin' Sully and I was the only one ya confided in, I thought you trusted me. I thought there was nothin' we couldn't tell each other. Now here ya are ... all these years later ... tellin' me lies!"

Michaela bristled. "I hardly think that you're in a position to criticize me, Dorothy, after what I stumbled upon this morning. You have your nerve!"

"I think ... I think that we oughta ..." Sully stammered but neither one of the women even glanced in his direction.

"I had a good reason for what I did," Dorothy defended herself. "And I ain't hurtin' no one! Ya never once asked me if I was thinkin' of marryin' Cloud Dancin' so I never really lied to ya, Michaela. I just didn't tell ya the whole truth."

"You're splitting hairs, Dorothy," Michaela chastised. "It's the same thing."

"No, it ain't! 'Sides, just look at you! You let everyone feel sorry for you - includin' me! Here I was, thinkin' that your marriage was over and all the while you've been sneakin' around .... Why would ya do such a thing, Michaela?"

Michaela straightened her shoulders. "The way I see it, Dorothy, you don't really care why I did it. You're far more intent on justifying your own actions than you are on listening to my explanations. You've made that perfectly clear."

"Well ... I never ...." Dorothy huffed.

Cloud Dancing reached out to touch her arm but Dorothy shook him off, angrily.

"Ya always gotta be right, don't ya?" she accused Michaela. "Ya always gotta be the one who's got a good reason for everythin' while the rest of us are supposed ta feel guilty bout what we do. Well, maybe it's time ya took a long, hard look at yourself, Michaela. Maybe it's time ya realized that you're not always so perfect!"

Michaela didn't answer. She spun around and marched off. As she passed Sully, she shot him a look of pure rage. Dorothy had brushed past her husband and shoved aside the flap to the teepee, storming inside.

The two men stood in the clearing for a long moment, staring at each other, at a loss for words. With a small, weak smile, Sully turned and followed his furious wife.

"Why would she do such a thing? I thought we were friends!"

Cloud Dancing stood just inside the entrance to the teepee, watching silently as his wife paced in a circle around the small structure, fuming and repeating the same thing over and over again. He'd explained the whole situation to her once, even instructed her not to tell anyone else about Michaela and Sully's deception. She'd agreed to keep quiet, but that hadn't helped to calm her tirade against Michaela.

"After all these years ... after everythin' we've been through together ... I just can't believe it ... Lettin' me think what I thought ... lettin' me feel sorry for her ... and all the while .... !"

She came to an abrupt halt in the centre of the teepee and scowled at him. "And you! You knew bout it all along, didn't ya? Sully probably told ya right off."

The medicine man looked trapped. He opened his mouth to answer but she cut him off.

"He did! He did, didn't he?!" She threw her hands into the air and groaned in total exasperation. "I shoulda known! Sully tells you everythin'. Course you'd be the first one he'd come to! Cloud Dancin', it would be one thing if ya just found out bout it yesterday but you've known from the start. Why wouldn't ya tell me the truth? We ain't supposed to keep secrets from each other."

Cloud Dancing threw caution to the wind and stepped forward, grabbing hold of her shoulders gently. "Dorothy, Sully asked me not to say anything. I honoured his wishes. I trust my brother and he trusts me. We would never betray one another."

"That's cause you're true friends, Cloud Dancin'," Dorothy remarked, bitterly. She looked as if she was on the fringe of tears. "I always thought Michaela and me were true friends too but I guess I was wrong. She don't know how ta be a real friend and she sure don't trust me."

Her husband drew in a deep breath. He was teetering on the rim, about to take the plunge into scalding water, but it couldn't be helped. Someone had to remind his wife of something, force her to think rationally. "I do not understand. What Michaela did was the same as what you did, was it not? You did not trust her either. Is this not true? Can you not forgive her when you acted as she did?"

Dorothy glared at him and ducked out from beneath his grasp. She turned her back on him and stared, stubbornly, at the wall of the teepee. Cloud Dancing sighed, heavily.

"It ain't the same thing, Cloud Dancin'," she snapped. "It ain't the same thing at all!"

*****************
"It's not the same thing, Sully! Not at all!" Michaela's voice was sharp, unforgiving.

They were sitting, side-by-side, on a log in the forest. Michaela had been fuming for the past ten minutes. At first she'd been as angry with Sully as she was with Dorothy. She'd paced in front of the log as he'd sat there and watched her, her eyes throwing daggers in his direction.

"How could you keep something like this from me?" she'd accused. "We're married. Married people share things - they share everything! There shouldn't be any secrets between them."

"Michaela," Sully had reasoned, softly, "if someone told ya a secret and asked you not ta breathe a word of it to anyone, would you turn round and tell me?"

She didn't cave in to his reasoning right away but, after a few more attempts on Sully's part, she reluctantly admitted that he could be right. She even agreed to sit down beside him. But no excuse could justify Dorothy's behaviour, in her opinion. The woman wasn't getting off the hook quite so easily!

"How long has this been going on? A few months? ... A year?"

Sully didn't answer. Revealing that Cloud Dancing and Dorothy had been together as a couple for almost two years now was guaranteed to make her even angrier. Luckily she didn't pause long enough in her ranting to wait for his response.

"I thought friends trusted one another! I thought they shared things with each other. All this time I believed that Dorothy was my best friend and now .... I guess I was sadly mistaken!"

That's when Sully managed to slide in a reminder, but he'd gathered a deep breath before saying it. "I dunno, Michaela. Seems ta me that you both did the same thing. Ya both lied ta each other."

This brought them to a stalemate and to their present dilemma, with Michaela insisting that it wasn't the same thing at all and Sully not knowing how to respond or what else to do. Pointing out that she was wrong was only going to fuel her anger. She'd finally softened toward him and he didn't want to take the risk of provoking her again. He decided that his best recourse would be to change the subject entirely.

"So, what do we do now?" he asked. "What's your plan for Duncan?"

It was a ploy to distract her and it worked, more or less. When she answered him, her voice was calmer but she sounded distracted. Duncan Lodge obviously wasn't at the forefront of her mind at that moment. "I intend to arrange a chance encounter with him, at the Chateau this evening. Andrew and Colleen are setting it up for me now. It'll appear as if we just bumped into one another."

"How do ya plan ta do that?" Sully asked, cautiously.

She shrugged. "I'll be at the Chateau, supposedly confiding in Colleen about my ... shattered marriage ... and Andrew will have asked Duncan to meet him at the Chateau for dinner, to discuss a possible lawsuit that might be launched by one of his patients." Michaela sounded a little more interested in the arrangement now as she warmed up to the subject. Sully could tell that she found the whole unpleasant situation somewhat challenging. "When Duncan sees me crying on Colleen's shoulder, we're hoping that he invites me to dine with him, in place of Andrew. As a matter of fact, Andrew will likely suggest it. He'll say that the lawsuit was suddenly dropped."

"And then what happens?" There was an edge to Sully's voice but Michaela appeared not to notice. He didn't like this - not one bit.

"We'll talk, I'll confide in him about our ... difficulties. I'll cry and let him comfort me."

"Comfort you?" Sully couldn't control the jealousy in his tone.

"Verbally, I mean," she reassured him quickly. "That's all, Sully. But hopefully, if I tell him some personal things, I'll be able to encourage him to tell me some personal things in return."

"And then?"

"Then ... I'll go home," Michaela said, simply. "This is just the beginning, Sully. I can't expect to find out too much in one night. Duncan won't tip his cards so easily."

Sully nodded, holding his silence. What he didn't express was something that Michaela would never know, as long as he could prevent it. Somehow he planned to be out there at that Chateau, watching out for her. There was a bad feeling gnawing away at him. He intended to stay hidden but he also intended to watch Duncan Lodge's every move.

******************
It was Saturday and, so far, it had been a pleasant day for Samantha Bing. Her mother had treated her to breakfast at Grace's, then they'd taken a picnic lunch to a hill overlooking Pike's Peak, and they'd enjoyed a leisurely stroll back to town afterward. Samantha was forced to admit something to herself - she'd missed her mother. She would have never believed she could feel this way when Myra shipped her off to Colorado Springs a few months back. All they did was argue and Samantha had gone out of her way to be as defiant as possible. Her mother's past had thrown a dark shadow over their relationship. Ever since Samantha found Myra's diary and discovered that her mother was once a saloon girl, she'd done everything in her power to upset Myra. At the time, she didn't completely understand why she was doing it but now, after some time to reflect on her own behaviour, she realized that she was striking out at Myra to ease her own pain. She wanted Myra to hurt every bit as much as Sam hurt inside. She wanted Myra to be as disillusioned with her daughter as Samantha was with her mother. A dose of the same, bitter medicine. To go from admiring and adoring her mother to losing all respect for the woman when Myra's sordid background was revealed, had proven to be too much for Samantha.

Fortunately, a few months in Colorado Springs had provided Samantha with enough distance and time to view her mother in a more flattering light.

As the hours ticked past that day, Samantha felt some of the old affection for her mother returning. In spite of everything, Myra was a gentle, caring soul. Samantha could feel Myra's love for her as the woman hugged her; she could see it in her mother's smile as Samantha related some humorous incident. Yes, she did miss her. A part of her wanted to return to the city and be with Myra once more. Things would be different this time - Samantha was certain of it.

"Were you surprised when you got my telegram?" Sam asked the woman now. They were on the outskirts of town, heading past the church toward the footbridge. Samantha eyed her mother, curiously.

Myra smiled. "I sure was. I never thought your Pa would let ya send it."

Samantha frowned at her. "Why? Why would he mind?"

There was an expression of dismay on Myra's face that alerted Samantha. She'd seen that look before - when adults said things and they didn't realize there were children around to overhear them. Her mother's next words confirmed her suspicions. "Oh ... just cause ... your Pa ain't never liked Hank much, that's all. Where do you want to eat supper, Sam? We could go out to the Chateau. Would you like that?"

Her mother was trying to side-step the conversation. Samantha eyed her critically. "What's wrong, Mama? You're not telling me somethin'."

"Why would ya think such a thing?" Myra asked, smiling a bit too broadly.

They'd reached the main street of town now and Sam spotted her father coming down the road toward them.

"Oh," Myra stated, sounding immensely relieved, "there's your Pa now." Her mother raised a hand in the air and called out to Horace, with far too much enthusiasm. "Horace! Over here, Horace!"

Sam's father approached and stopped in front of them. He never returned Myra's exaggerated smile as he assessed the woman. "I gotta say, Myra, I'm surprised ta see ya here. Thought you'd be spendin' all your time with Hank."

Myra's gaze shifted toward Sam before she re-directed her stare to Horace. She jerked her head in Sam's direction. "Horace - not now," she whispered. Once again, Myra quickly changed the subject. "Sam and me had such a nice time together today. I was just thinkin' that Sam could come home with me soon. She seems so much better now and I know she misses the city, don't ya Sam?"

Speechless, Samantha gaped at the woman. They'd never discussed this - not once. She glanced at her father. He looked like someone had punched him in the stomach.

"What are ya sayin'? You're plannin' on takin' Sam away with ya?"

Myra shrugged. "Well, we ain't made no plans yet, Horace, but you knew that I was only sendin' her ta you for a short time, til she got straightened out and ..."

"Ya ain't takin' her!" Horace announced, crossing his arms over his chest. "I want Samantha to stay here, to live with me. I'm the one who cares bout her, Myra. You sure as heck don't!"

"Course I do, Horace!" Myra gasped. "That's a terrible thing to say!"

"Well, it's the truth," Horace asserted, loudly. "Don't ya think ya owe it to Sam ta tell her? Don't ya think she should know why you're really here?"

Sam studied her father's angry face, a feeling of dread forming in her chest. "Why, Papa? What is it?"

Her mother looked frightened and her eyes misted over with tears.

"Horace ... please .... don't...."

Samantha could see that her father was upset. The thoughtless words that tumbled out of his mouth seemed to be beyond his power to control. "She came here ta see Hank, Samantha. Not you. She makes it look like she's here ta see you cause she don't want you to know bout her relationship with Hank. That's all it is, Samantha. She went straight over to that jail when she got off the train from Denver. She wasn't thinkin' bout you, honey, she was thinkin' bout Hank! And now she's tryin' ta take you away from me, from your Papa who loves you more than anyone else in this world. I won't let her do it, Sam. She can't have ya back!"

Myra's hand was clutching her throat. "Horace ..." she breathed, her voice strangled.

Sam studied her mother and she knew, without a doubt, that her father was telling the truth. "You and Hank?" she asked Myra now. "Was Hank the one who broke up you and Papa?"

"No, sweetie," Myra reassured her, quickly. She placed a hand on Samantha's arm. "It wasn't like that - I swear! I was with Hank before I left the saloon, before your Papa took me away from him. I was never with Hank after I married your father."

Comprehension began to dawn and Samantha felt nauseated. "You were with him when you worked for him? When you were a whore at the saloon?" Samantha's face twisted with disgust. "So that means that you ..... And you still came back here to see him? You still went to him? Mama, how could you?"

"Samantha ... please, you don't understand ... you're just a little girl ...." Myra was pleading with her now, the tears spilling out to trickle down her cheeks.

"No I'm not. I know what happens between a man and a woman," Samantha said, backing away from Myra. "And I know what whores do too. I can't hardly believe this - and I'm the one who wired you about Hank cause I thought you were friends - that's all I thought. Just friends. That's what you always told me."

"But we are friends, Sam," Myra insisted, taking a step toward her. "Now we are. What happened back then don't matter no more."

"Don't matter?! How can you say that? It will always matter!" Samantha spun around and charged down the street, running back toward the foot bridge, back toward the path where she'd been walking with her mother moments before. Just when she thought they were growing closer again, when she'd begun to believe that she could deal with her mother's past and not let it ruin their relationship anymore .... What was she thinking?

"It will always ruin everything," she muttered to herself. " It'll always ruin my life!"

******************
Patrick O'Donnell held onto the board as Sully nailed it onto the fencepost. Once it was in place, Sully gave it a small shake to see if it was secure and nodded at Patrick. "That's got it," he announced.

Patrick smiled and extracted a white handkerchief from his pocket, to wipe the sweat from his brow. Sully never thought he'd be pleased to see a homestead falling into ruin but, at that moment, he was secretly grateful to Jeremiah O'Donnell. The man hadn't been conscientious enough to keep up with repairs. It gave Sully a good reason to linger around Luke and White Feather's cabin and to enlist Patrick O'Donnell's help. As long as they worked together, Sully had a chance of finding out more information about the man.

"Have we got it now, lad?" O'Donnell asked him. "Have we finally fixed this sad old fence?"

"This section," Sully reported, "but it's weaker further along."

"Well, that'll have ta be waitin' for another day," Patrick said, removing his coat from where it hung on a post and shrugging into it. "I got me a powerful thirst and it's not just for a bit of the brew, if ya know what I mean, lad." He winked at Sully.

Sully frowned at him and he elaborated. "Women, lad. I got me a thirst for some company from the fairer sex. So I'll be takin' meself inta the saloon. You can tell White Feather not ta be holdin' dinner for me, if it's all the same ta you."

Sully tried to appear as casual as possible while he retrieved his own coat, before prompting O'Donnell with a probing question. "Ya like some of Hank's girls, do ya?"

Patrick chuckled. "Course I do, my boy, course I do. And do ya know what the nicest thing is about women in their ... profession, lad?" Sully shook his head and O'Donnell winked at him again. "They don't expect anything. There's nothing they want from a man. They're only there to attend to our .... needs, so to speak. No strings attached."

Shrugging, Sully fished for more information. "The way I figure it, they got feelins, just like any other woman."

"Feelings?" O'Donnell hooted with laughter. "No one cares about their feelings, my boy! That's the nice thing about it, ya see. You don't have a worry about things like that. With some other women, ya gotta be watchin' everything you say and do, so as not to upset them. Lord love 'em all, son, but with Hank's girls ..." He grinned, wickedly. "If they don't please me, I can let them know about it. It doesn't matter one whit to anyone, my friend. Not one whit."

He ambled away, whistling a jaunty tune and heading in the direction of the barn. Sully stared after him, his eyes narrowed thoughtfully. After a minute, he decided to go into the cabin and inform White Feather that O'Donnell was off to town - again - and that he was finished with the fence for the day. Then he intended to escape as quickly as possible, before White Feather had time to start dinner. But the woman emerged from the cabin and met him before he could climb up onto the front porch. They both turned and watched Patrick O'Donnell ride off. White Feather sighed, heavily.

"I am afraid that my husband's brother likes his drink too much," she informed Sully. "It makes him act ...." She paused, struggling to come up with the word.

"He don't think too clearly?" Sully suggested. "That what ya mean?"

She smiled. "Yes. Not like you." She studied Sully, closely. "But you do not think clearly now, do you Sully? You have left your wife and your children, left your home. I think that you are confused - that you do not know where you belong."

Sully had to choose his words carefully. He couldn't afford to reveal too much but he didn't want to encourage White Feather either. "Michaela and me ... we've always been .... different from each other. Sometimes we have fights cause of it but that don't mean ..."

White Feather stepped toward him and the words died in his throat as he assessed the desire in her eyes. "You are like I am," she said, in a husky voice. "You try to live in the white man's world, just as I tried when I was married to Jeremiah. But our spirits will always run free, with the Cheyenne." She touched his shoulder, tentatively. "I understand you, Sully. Can you say the same thing about your wife? Does she understand you?"

"Not now, maybe, but ...." White Feather had moved in closer until her body brushed against him. "Look, I ain't ready for this yet," he told her sternly. He pulled back from her and she looked immensely disappointed. "I dunno what's gonna happen between me and Michaela but ... I'm just not ready for ...."

"Shhh." White Feather silenced him. "I will not ask you for anything more, Sully. Not now. But when you are ready, I will be here."

"I gotta get goin'," Sully murmured, turning toward the corral that enclosed his horse. He was aware of White Feather's gaze following him as he walked away from her.

But what neither one of them noticed was Luke, lurking around the corner of the cabin, his face dark with fury.

****************
Samantha stomped along the road toward the Sully homestead. She needed to talk to someone, pour out all her pain and anger. Since Katie Sully was her closest friend, Sam chose to confide in her, even if Katie was two years younger and might not completely understand everything that Sam was feeling. But she'd listen at least. Katie was a good listener.

She was so immersed in her own turmoil that she didn't hear Luke until he crashed through the trees directly ahead of her and stumbled out onto the road. She halted abruptly to avoid colliding with him. Judging by the expression on the boy's face, and the fact that he was flushed and out of breath from running, Luke appeared to be as upset as Samantha.

"Luke? Two Trails? Remember me?"

Luke sneered at her. "Course I do!" he scoffed. "You're the one who got Katie in so much trouble."

Samantha's face crumbled. She'd been through enough pain today. She didn't need Luke's condemnation on top of everything else. The boy studied her for a minute and his voice softened. "Sorry. I didn't mean it. I've just had a bad day, that's all."

Samantha snorted, softly. "Couldn't be any worse than mine!"

"Ya don't think so? Try me."

She eyed him, curiously. "So, what happened to you?"

When Luke failed to answer, preferring to stare down at the dirt at his feet instead, Samantha decided to fill him in on her problems. She needed to talk to someone and, since Luke was on hand and struggling with his own troubles, he seemed like a good candidate. Besides, she'd talked to him once before, when they were stuck in that cave during the storm. Luke wasn't overly sympathetic with her but he'd listened, at least.

"My mother is back in town," she began, scorn roughening each word. "Thing is, I thought she came back cause she wanted to see me, cause she was missin' me. Turns out, she only came back cause she's got feelins for Hank Lawson."

Luke's interest was aroused. "The saloon owner?"

"Uh .. huh." Samantha bit down on her lip before offering the next admission. "My mother used ta work for him, as one of his 'girls', ya know?" Luke nodded and she continued. "Turns out they had a ... they were together ... in that way, if ya know what I mean?"

Again, Luke nodded. "But that was a long time ago, wasn't it?"

"Don't matter," Samantha said, sullenly. "She's come back ta see him now so that means she's still got feelins for him. That means that she probably never loved my Pa. And she still loves a man who ... used her like that. How can I ever look at her again?"

Luke sighed. "I dunno, Samantha." He hesitated, before empathizing with her. "I can understand how you feel. My mother has feelings for someone as well - a married man. It makes me wonder if she ever loved my father too. Maybe she was always in love with this other one all along." He shook his head. "The thing is, I always trusted this man - always looked up to him. I thought he was special, ya know? Thought he always knew what ta do, that he loved his family. Now I find out that everything I ever thought about him was wrong."

"Who is he?" Samantha asked, consumed by curiosity.

Luke eyed her warily before answering. "Promise me ya won't tell your parents, or anyone else in town?"

"Sure. I promise." Samantha was completely intrigued now.

When Luke said the name, his voice was heavy with resentment. "Sully. It's Sully."

"Katie's father?!" Samantha asked, shocked.

Luke nodded. "And the thing is, there's nothin' I can do about it. My mother loves him and he's left his wife so ...."

"He left his wife?" Again, Samantha was shocked.

"Didn't ya know? Everyone in town is talkin' bout it?"

Samantha shook her head. "No. My Pa doesn't tell me bout things like that and Katie missed a couple of days at school this week. And the other kids don't talk to me much. They don't like me."

For the first time, Samantha began to wonder about Katie's absence from school. The little girl often skipped classes, when she was doing something special with her father. Katie's grades were good and she was smart so no one ever seemed to care. "Poor Katie," Samantha murmured. "She thinks the world of her father."

"Yeah? Well, someone should tell her that adults can't be trusted - especially Sully." He gave a sharp, disgusted laugh. "Never mind. Katie would never believe it anyway. Guess she's gotta find out for herself."

He made a move to leave. "Where are ya going?" Samantha asked.

"Dunno," Luke admitted. "I need ta be alone to think."

He disappeared back into the trees surrounding them and Samantha stood in the middle of the road, reflecting on his words. She'd trusted her mother and Myra let her down, not once but twice. Here she was, hurting all over again, just when she thought the wounds were healing. And, the way she saw it, the same thing was about to happen to Katie. More than anyone else, Katie trusted her father. Now, Katie was about to be hurt as well - just like Samantha had been hurt. Well, she wouldn't let it happen. Katie was her best friend. Someone needed to warn her, to tell her about Luke's mother and Sully.

Squaring her shoulders, with her new resolve urging her forward, Samantha picked up speed and hurried off in the direction of the Sully homestead.

* * * * *

Chapter Eight
by Jean McQuaid

My Best Friend...................

Private feelings, holding hands
No restrictions, no demands
Sharing secrets, sharing love
Feeling blessed by God above
Restoring courage, giving strength
At any cost, at any length
Easing pain, banishing tears
Special moments, cherished years
Together forever, right to the end
A soul mate for life, my best friend

By: Jean McQuaid
*****************
"Samantha!" Michaela was surprised to see the girl standing on her front porch when she came home. Totally immersed in her own situation she'd forgotten completely about Myra's return to Colorado Springs and how it might be affecting Samantha.

"Hi, Dr. Quinn. Sorry I can't stop and talk but I better be gettin' back. Papa'll be lookin' for me."

Michaela returned a stray hair that had fallen over the girls eyes. "Yes, of course, and I'm sure you want to get back to your Mother as well."

"I'll be glad when she's gone. I wished I'd never sent that telegram."

Samantha Bing seemed anything but thrilled.

Michaela, baffled by the girl's obvious indignation over her mother's visit wasn't about to let the subject drop. "Samantha, is there something.......?"

But Samantha Bing was determined to make a quick get away. "I gotta go now," she anxiously replied. "Tell Katie I'll come see her again real soon."

"Yes, I will." Michaela watched as the girl disappeared out of sight.

As was usually the case in any small town, one man's plight was everyone's misery. Inevitably, people were always drawn into a situation that would affect their own well being. And now Michaela's instincts told her Samantha Bing had become yet, another innocent victim.

"Mama, you're home!" Michaela assumed Katie's exuberance was due to the visit from her good friend. "Brian's out in the barn finishing his chores but I helped him make a stew for dinner. See, I set the table and everything!"

"That's wonderful, sweetheart, but I'm afraid I won't be joining you tonight. I've made plans to dine at the Chateau." Cautious that she didn't reveal too much about the secret encounter with Duncan, Michaela decided the less Katie knew, the better.

"Can I come too? I wanna see Colleen."

"Oh Katie, I wish I could take you but I can't. However, I would appreciate your help in picking out a dress for tonight."

Katie was openly disappointed but agreed to help her mother. She loved Michaela's dresses and looked forward to the day she, herself would be able to wear one. "Okay Mama, but I'm getting real bored staying here with Brian. When's Papa coming home? I don't like this game anymore."

Michaela took her daughter into her arms. "I know Katie, I don't either. But it won't be long. Now, let's go pick out that dress." She smiled down at the young girl. "My dear Miss Sully, you have such exquisite taste," she teased.

Katie's mood changed suddenly and she challenged her mother to a race up the stairs. But there was never any question as to who would win and Michaela found herself out of breath when she finally did reach the door to her bedroom. Katie had already begun tossing the many elegant dresses her mother owned onto the bed.

"My goodness, you don't waste any time, do you Katherine Sully?" she laughed. "By the way, I met Samantha on my way in and she seemed rather upset. I don't suppose you'd know why?"

Michaela's inquiry didn't halt the flow of dresses being carefully scrutinized by the young girl as she nonchalantly answered her mother. "Her Ma and Papa had a real big fight about Mr. Lawson and now her Ma wants to take her back home, with her. Mr. Bing told Samantha that the only reason her Ma came back in the first place was to see Hank."

Michaela's fears were confirmed. "Surely Samantha doesn't believe that?"

"Oh it's okay, Mama. I told her they were probably just acting, kinda like Papa and White Feather."

"Your Father and White Feather? What made you think of them, Katie?"

Still pondering over which dress she liked the best, Katie had no idea her mother's disposition had changed and that Michaela was now more curious than ever to find out what kind of conversation had gone on between the two girls. "Samantha met Luke before she came here and he was really upset too."

"He was? Why?"

"Cause he saw Papa and White Feather together and now he doesn't trust Papa."

As hard as she tried, Michaela had no control over the jealousy that knotted in the pit of her stomach. "Katie, just what did Luke see?"

"I dunno, I guess he just saw them play acting. That's what Papa's supposed to be doing, right Mama?"

To Katie she answered, "Yes, of course." However, to herself, 'but not with White Feather!'

"Don't worry Mama, I didn't tell her anything about Papa's game but I did tell her that you know all about his visits with Luke's Ma."

Michaela wasn't sure about that anymore. In fact, she was quite disturbed. Luke was a very intelligent boy and he and Sully had become very close, almost like father and son. Obviously he'd seen something disturbing and, if the boy felt he could no longer trust her husband, how could she? She was trying to set up Duncan, that was in the plan but this so called 'play acting' with White Feather was another matter entirely. Preoccupied with her own emotions, she didn't notice that Katie had picked a dress, the green dress Michaela had hidden away for a special occasion, a romantic surprise for her husband. But jealously overcame common sense as she ran her fingers down the silky green satin of the secret dress Emma had made her so long ago.

"This is the dress, Mama. Papa always did say he liked you best in green."

"Yes he did, didn't he Katie?"

"So, I think this is the perfect dress."

"So do I, Katie. You're right, it's perfect," answered Michaela, concealing her real motivation.

Mother and daughter worked as a team, and, before long, Michaela stood in front the mirror, modestly admiring the image that stared back at her. Suddenly the dress had become more than just a temptation for Duncan Lodge. It was now being used as a means to make Byron Sully jealous. If she had to compete with White Feather, then this green dress would be the perfect ammunition. Knowing Sully, there was no doubt in her mind he'd be there tonight, lurking in the shadows, silently making sure she was in no danger. Michaela was very confident that her husband would see her in this dress tonight. Feeling rather wicked, yet proud of her devious little scheme, she blushed as she ran her hands down the front of the dress, delighting in the soft touch of its fabric as it clung to her shapely figure. 'Yes Mr. Sully,' she thought to herself, 'there will be two traps set tonight.'

"Oh Mama, you look beautiful! I sure wish Papa could see you."

"Maybe he will, Katie, but I'd better be going now. Would you run and get Brian for me, please?"

Katie headed towards the door and turned back. "Mama?"

"Yes, dear?"

"I hated lying to Samantha cause she's my best friend. She told me all about her folks and now I feel really bad not telling her about you and Papa. Did I do the right thing?"

Michaela responded sympathetically, "Sometimes it's necessary to keep things from those people you're close to. It doesn't mean you still can't be best friends and I'm sure Samantha will understand when she finds out why you did it."

"But I don't think it's right! I know I can trust her but I made a promise to you and now I'm worried I might lose my best friend."

Michaela again took her daughter into her arms. "Oh Katie, I know exactly how you feel. I had to lie to my best friend too. A best friend is a very important person in your life and, without them, well......but we'll work it out Katie. When this is all over, both you and I will make sure our best friends know how much we love them and that we'll never again betray that trust we have with one another."

****************
"Well, how does everything look?" Andrew asked as he scanned the dining room. "I tried to make it as romantic as possible."

"Perfect," replied Colleen but a little skeptical. "Don't you think you might have overdone it just a little? I mean, it's not supposed to look like it was planned. Duncan thinks he's coming here to have a business meeting with you."

"Yes, of course, Colleen, but we really need Duncan to be so captivated by your mother that....."

"Andrew! Not that much! It still bothers me that we even agreed to help out with this dinner. I just don't like the idea of watching my Mother and ...that man, having a romantic dinner. It just isn't right!"

"Well it's too late now Colleen and besides, there's Michaela."

"Colleen, Andrew...sorry I'm late but Katie and I wanted to make sure that my attire was just perfect."

"Looks fine to me, Michaela, "Andrew smiled.

But Colleen was a little less enthusiastic. "It's a lovely dress Ma but don't you think it's a little too much for Duncan? After all, Pa likes...."

"I'm well aware of what your father likes, Colleen, and you must remember, this dinner was supposed to be for my husband and myself so I think it's quite appropriate that I dress for him, don't you?"

"I guess so but...."

Michaela took her daughter's hand. "Stop worrying, it's going to be just fine, trust me."

*******************
"Oh my gosh Luke! You scared me half to death!"

"I'm sorry Sam, but I didn't expect to find anyone here. This is the place I come to think out my problems and I usually do it alone."

"I know that," Samantha replied smugly. "I followed you here once."

"You did?" Luke was surprised but more curious as to why she was here now. "So why have you come here now? I thought you were supposed to be with Katie?"

"I was but Dr. Mike came home and I figured I'd better get outta there before she starts askin' too many questions I don't wanna answer. I know you made me promise not to tell anyone in town but well, Katie's not just anyone and I thought she had a right to know about her Pa and your mother."

"Samantha, I told you it was a secret!" Luke was annoyed. "Poor Kates. I suppose she was really upset?"

"No, not at all. In fact, that's why I came here to see you, Luke. Are you sure about what you saw cause Katie is convinced that her mother knows all about Sully and your Mother. I heard all the rumors in town and I guess they're true but what I can't figure out is why Katie isn't upset about her parents breakin' up?"

"Maybe she just doesn't want to believe it, but I know what I saw. I just wish my mother would have the same look of love in her eyes for my Uncle Patrick."

"Your Uncle Patrick?"

"My father's brother. He came all the way from Ireland to find my father. It may be too late for brothers to reunite but it's not too late for all of us to be a family. I don't understand why my Mother can't see that."

"So what you're sayin' is that you want your Uncle and your Ma to fall for each other?"

"Do you not think it is right for him to become the man of his brother's house? It is a custom with the Cheyenne that, when a man dies, his brother takes care of his widow. My Uncle Patrick belongs with us, not Sully."

Samantha thought for a few minutes. "I got an idea, Luke. Maybe they just need some help gettin' started. "

Luke looked puzzled. "And how do I do that?"

"Well, women love romantic things and, if you were to set up somethin'....maybe a romantic dinner just for the two of them, why who knows what can happen."

"I do not know how to do something like that."

"But I do! We'll pick some flowers for the table an' cook a really nice dinner. It'll be fun, Luke."

"Are you sure this will work?" Luke was doubtful.

But Samantha was more positive. "Come on, Luke, so if it don't work, at least they had a good dinner," she chuckled. "Look, I gotta go see someone right now but we can talk about this later." She touched his hand. "And stop worryin'. Why, it worked in all them romance novels I snuck from my Ma's room. I just know it'll work for your Ma too!"

"I hope so," Luke muttered. "I really hope so."

****************
Duncan straightened his tie and brushed off a few particles of dust from his suit jacket. "Well, that should do just fine. After all, I'm only meeting with Dr. Cook," he sighed before entering the Chateau. At first glance, the dining room appeared to be empty except for one table at the very back. He didn't recognize her at first but, as soon as his eyes adjusted to the dimly lit room, it became apparent that, by the way she was dressed, Michaela Quinn was here to dine as well. His first inclination would have been to take a table close by the door but now he was curious to see who would be joining her for dinner and he quietly chose a table much closer to hers. In fact, he moved close enough to overhear the conversation between mother and daughter that seemed to have Michaela quite distressed.

"He'll be here, Colleen, I know he will." Michaela took out a handkerchief from her bag and wiped away the tears from her eyes.

"But Ma, it's been over an hour now. Why don't I get you some tea or maybe you'd like something to eat....?"

"No!" Michaela's voice resounded throughout the room. "I'll sit here and wait for Sully, even if it takes all night!"

"But Ma, I hate to see you so upset like this. Isn't there anything I can do?"

"I'll be all right, Colleen. Just leave me alone for a few minutes."

"But Ma..."

"Please, Colleen."

Reluctantly the girl got up and left her mother alone, just as Andrew came into the dining room.

"Mr. Lodge?" Andrew stood at Duncan's table, trying to break his attention away from the scene at the other table. He almost broke into a smile but was cautious. So far the plan was working and Duncan Lodge had overheard exactly what he was supposed to hear. "Excuse me, Mr. Lodge?"

Duncan sharply turned to look up at Andrew. "Dr. Cook, I'm sorry I was...well, what seems to be the problem with Dr. Quinn?"

"She'll be fine once her husband gets here. He's just a little late for their dinner, but it's nothing to worry about. Now, I have some good news and I would have come to your office to tell you but I just found out about it myself."

Duncan managed to drag his stare away from Michaela. "What is that, Dr. Cook?"

"Well it seems that the suit against me has been dropped so I won't be needing a lawyer, after all. I'm also sorry that I've been called away to tend to a patient but you're more than welcome to stay for dinner. My treat."

Duncan was relieved and turned his attention back to Michaela. "That won't be necessary, Dr. Cook. I'm quite capable of paying for my own meal, however, I will stay as long as Dr. Quinn agrees to join me."

"Well like I said she's waiting for her husband.."

"Who obviously isn't coming. That Savage!"

"We don't know that he's not coming!"

"Quite frankly, I hope he doesn't show up at all. She's dining with me!"

****************
Sully's anxiety had heightened as he'd watched his wife being helped down from the wagon. She was still the most beautiful woman he'd ever seen, but tonight she was in full bloom, a vision of absolute perfection. Every nerve in his body throbbed and his heart pounded as he hid in the shadows created by the Chateau. This was cruel, watching her prepare for a romantic dinner with another man. Michaela was his wife. He should be the one sharing an intimate dinner with her, not Duncan Lodge.

Summoning every ounce of his strength and pride, he fought back the urge to end this crazy scheme right here, right now. But he must have known it wasn't going to be easy watching the two of them together. What did he expect? He was a man filled with passion and desire for his wife and all he could do was lay low and allow it to happen, allow his wife to give herself to another man. This was the hardest thing he'd ever had to do.

****************
"Hank, Wake up! You got another visitor. Did ya hear me?"

"Ya, I heard ya, McKay. Tell 'em to go away. I don't wanna see anybody."

Samantha was persistent and pushed past the Sheriff. "No, I won't go away and I don't care if you don't wanna see me, I wanna see you, Mr. Lawson!"

Hank raised an eyebrow. He didn't recognize the voice but it was female and young at that. "Never could resist a woman....." But he suddenly stopped. "Samantha Bing? Well, if that don't beat all. Ain't it past your bedtime, little girl ?"

"I wanna know about you and my mother and I'm not a little girl!"

"Myra? Ain't much to tell."

"That's not the way I see it, Mr. Lawson. You seem to know her better than anyone else around here."

Hank grumbled as he lifted his head from the cot, allowing him a better look at Myra's little girl. "Just like yer ma. She always was able to get my attention. Now what's yer problem, girl?"

"I wanna know the truth, 'Hank'. I wanna know what's going on between you and my mother."

"Myra 'an me are friends, that's all. Been friends for a long time."

"That's not what my Papa says. My mother worked for you, didn't she, and you made her be a whore. You're the reason they broke up, aren't ya Mr. Lawson? You just couldn't stand to see my Papa be happy, could ya?!" Samantha lost all control.

"Did your Pa tell ya all this?"

"Not exactly but I'm not a stupid little kid, Hank. He told me some and the rest I figured out for myself! My Ma never would have sold herself to men if it wasn't for you! I hate you!"

"Now, hold on there. It weren't my fault them too split up and, as far as your ma goes, she made her own choice about bein' a.....anyhow, I never forced any of my girls to work for me. I don't know what kinda rubbish your pa's been fillin that pretty little head of yours with but your ma and pa had their own problems. Took me a long time but I finally accepted her decision to leave. All I ever wanted for your ma was to be happy but she never found happiness with Horace!"

"Stop it!! You're lyin' !"

"Maybe you better talk to your ma. She'll tell ya the real truth."

"I don't care if I ever see my Mother again and as for you, Mr. Lawson, I hope they hang you!"

Both men watched in silence as Samantha Bing stormed out of the Sheriff's office. Hank wasn't surprised that Horace was, once again, setting himself up as the injured party but he was worried about Myra. She didn't deserve constant punishment for her past life.

McKay, on the other hand, never really cared all that much for the bartender but he could sense that Hank was telling the truth. Hank did have a rough exterior but it was obvious that there was a much softer side to him that he wouldn't allow anyone to see and, for that, he paid a very high price.

******************
Michaela sat patiently waiting, wondering when, or if, Duncan would make his move. Trying to hold back the shaking in her hands, she began to play with a fork on the table. Maybe he hadn't been fooled by her outburst and the man would simply get up and leave without a word. If only she could look over her shoulder, see what he was doing, but that might be too obvious, so she sat, trying to remain calm.

Suddenly, "Michaela, may I join you?"

She looked up at Duncan, a sympathetic expression on his face. "I'm sorry Duncan, but I'm expecting my husband any moment."

"I see, well maybe I could wait with you until he comes? When are you expecting him?"

"Soon, I hope." And then the tears came. "Actually Duncan, he was supposed to be here an hour ago. I'm worried that something might have happened."

This was Duncan's cue. As long as he presented himself like a gentleman and didn't go too far at first, he was sure this would be the final turning point in their relationship. "I'm so sorry, Michaela. Surely, if something was wrong, you would have heard by now. I'm afraid he most likely decided not to come. Personally I think the man is a cad and doesn't deserve the tears you shed for him. I would never treat a woman the way he's treated you. It's incredibly arrogant and uncivilized and I think you're well rid of him."

Michaela was lost for words. More lies, more deceit but she had to carry on, this was the plan. "I feel like such a fool. This isn't the first time Sully has let me down, as I'm sure you know. But it will certainly be the last! Why do I keep falling for his promises, he never keeps them. When will I ever learn?"

Duncan quickly seated himself beside her and gently lifted one of her hands to his lips. "My dear, dear Michaela, do not blame yourself for the careless and impudent acts of a man like your husband. I can only imagine what it was like for you, when you first set foot in this town, a woman of culture and class, alone and vulnerable, unable to take care of herself. Mr. Sully took full advantage of your helplessness and used it to his advantage. Why, his future was secured when he not only married the most beautiful woman in the country, but an aspiring doctor from a wealthy Boston family. By marrying you, he received instant respect, and I'm sure was the envy of every male in this territory! He is, after all, a hunter by nature and you were the innocent prey."

Michaela didn't really want to hear anymore and decided it was time for her to make her move. "You appear to have my life all figured out but what about your life? We both know why I came here but why did you come to Colorado Springs, Duncan Lodge? Surely such an intelligent and worldly man as yourself could find a more fascinating and rewarding place to make your home."

"Ah, my dear woman, that's where you're wrong. That is, precisely, the reason I did come here. You may not have liked my brother, Preston, and I can't say I blame you, but he did, however, have a great deal of respect for you. The more he talked about you, the more fascinated and intrigued I became, and was eventually driven by my passion to someday meet you and unlock the mystery of what I deemed, the perfect woman. The woman who had captured my heart and soul."

"It's my turn now, Duncan, to analyze you. I find it quite unbelievable that you would leave your own successful practice and home just to meet me. I was trying to escape the prejudice of being a woman doctor in Boston, but you, Duncan, what were you running away from? "

Michaela could see by the look on his face that she'd hit a nerve. Obviously he was hiding something, but what? She was so close to gaining his trust yet so afraid of what he might reveal to her. But fear was no longer an option. She had to dig deeper if they were ever going to find out the truth. "Have you also experienced the misery and pain of a deceitful love? That would explain why you're so responsive and supportive to me. You've been there yourself?"

"You truly are a wonder, Michaela. Am I so transparent that you can see right through to my heart, see the scar that will remain with me until the day I die? I was under the illusion that I'd found everlasting love but, like you Michaela, fate had other plans for my life. Only now am I beginning to understand that it was that very fate that brought me here to you. Destiny has brought us together, Michaela, and it is now up to us to fulfill the dreams that lie within our hearts. We were meant to be together."

Michaela couldn't quench the uneasy feeling in her stomach. Neither one of them had eaten much and Duncan had consumed more than enough wine than she felt comfortable with. In her estimation, this conversation had gone far enough for tonight. It was, by no means, an admission to murder but, at least, he had divulged there had been a woman in his life. Could it be possible that it was Violet Patterson? Had it been a crime of passion, had Violet crossed the line? And if so, would he not be capable of killing her, Michaela Quinn, if she didn't live up to his perfect standards?

"I really must be going now. I may not have a husband any longer but I do have a family." She picked up her hand bag just as Duncan arose to pull out her chair. "Thank you for this evening, Duncan. It's comforting to know someone understands and cares."

He took her hands in his and looked into her eyes. "I do care, Michaela, very much. This isn't the end, merely the beginning. The beginning of a new life, for both of us."

Sully was relieved as he watched his wife exit the Chateau and head for home. However, one part of him wanted to follow Duncan and confront him but he was more concerned on following his wife, making sure she made it home safely. But he wasn't finished with Duncan Lodge. There was no doubt in his mind now, the man couldn't be trusted, especially when it came to Michaela.

******************
"I'm sorry Father couldn't be more help, Matthew. What are you going to do now?"

"I'm not sure Madi. I can't understand why none of these other lawyers ever heard of Duncan."

"Well, I guess he wasn't all that good!"

"I'd better send a wire off to Ma and tell her what I know, which is nothing. But I'll keep looking, there's gotta be someone who knows something."

Madi's attention suddenly focused on a dress in a store window. "Oh look Matthew, isn't that.......?"

Matthew turned sharply and didn't see the man he was about to bump into.

"Sorry, Mr....Preston? What are you doin' here?"

"Why, Matthew Cooper, I was about to ask you the same thing." He tipped his hat and looked at Madi "And who might this charming creature be?"

"My name is Madison Montgomery sir. I am Matthew's fiancee."

"I see, well, my congratulations to the both of you. Now, if you'll excuse me, I have some urgent business to attend to ......."

"Not so fast, Preston." Matthew put up a hand to stop the man. "You're just the person I've been lookin for."

"Oh really, Matthew, and why is that?"

"I need ya to tell me all you know about your brother, Duncan, the lawyer."

"My brother, the lawyer," he laughed. "There must be some mistake. Duncan isn't a lawyer. Just what kind of business do you have with him anyway?"

"Well, he's in Colorado Springs right now, tellin' everybody he's a lawyer."

"Lawyer, humph. He spent a short time in medical school and law school but, like the loser he is, he dropped out of both. Now, if you'll excuse me."

"So, you're tellin me he isn't a lawyer?"

"That's right, now..."

"Figures, lyin' must run in the Lodge family, eh Preston? My guess is, if he's lyin' about that, he's most likely lyin' about other things."

"No doubt. The man has absolutely no scruples whatsoever, a total disgrace to the Lodge name. It doesn't surprise me though that he's attempting to pass himself off as a lawyer, in a place like Colorado Springs."

"And why's that?"

"He seemed quite interested in anything I had to tell him about Colorado Springs, especially your Mother. No one would ever think of looking for him there."

"And why would anybody be looking for him? What's he done, Preston?"

"Who knows? Duncan is capable of almost anything."

"Even murder?"

"I wouldn't put it past him." Preston started to walk away then hesitated and turned back to face Matthew. "He's got a violent temper and well...."

"If there's somethin' you're not tellin' me, Preston..."

"Look Matthew, I've said too much already. If you want my opinion, Duncan is a dangerous man and you'd be well advised to warn your family to stay as far away from him as possible."

Chapter 8 Authors Note: The poem at the beginning of this chapter is dedicated to my best Friend, Sandi.

Chapter 9 ...