A Dark Secret - part 2

Michaela looked up at the clock and sighed. She still had quite a few patient files to be updated, and yet she had wanted to leave early today to prepare for Sully's return. "Oh, well, Katie, I guess these records can wait until tomorrow. There's more important things to do tonight," she said smiling, as she bent over to pick Katie up and give her a kiss. "Let's get you over to Grace's so I can pick up Brian, but first I need to stop at Mr. Bray's and pick up a few items."

As Michaela entered the boarding house, Sheryl greeted her and took her to their room. Brian and Josh were sitting at a table drawing. "Hi boys," greeted Michaela. "How was fishing?"

"Great ma," answered Brian. "Josh caught the biggest fish. We gave them to Widow Stephens so she could fix them for supper." And then a moment later he asked, "Where's Katie, ma?"

"Grace and Robert E were kind enough to keep her for the night, Brian. But if you're ready now, I'd like to get home and start supper," answered Michaela.

Walking over to Michaela, Sheryl asked, "Your husband is coming home tonight, isn't he? Why don't you let Brian stay with us tonight. I know Josh would enjoy the company of someone besides his mother."

Brian and Josh both turned to Michaela and Josh said, "Please, Dr. Mike, please." "Yeah, ma, can I, please" said Brian in return. "You and pa could have the night all to yourselves," he replied, as he looked at Josh and they both began to giggle.

Michaela could feel her face begin to blush. "All right, but you do as Mrs. Cowan asks." And then turning to Sheryl, she whispered, "they do grow up too fast, don't they."

"Yes, they do," returned Sheryl laughing. "You go along now and enjoy this night with your husband. We'll be just fine here."

"Thank you," replied Michaela. And walking over to Brian, she gave him a kiss on the cheek. "Good-bye, see you tomorrow."

"Bye, ma, have fun", Brian said with a big grin on his face.

**********************************

As Michaela rode up to the homestead she could feel the excitement within her as she thought of Sully's return. Riding Flash into the barn she began to mentally note all of the things she wanted to do before Sully came home. After taking off the saddle she began to brush down Flash. Out of the corner of her eye she caught glimpse of the backpack still laying on the wooden box in the corner.

She then thought of their impending trip up to Pike's Peak and a huge smile crossed her face. She reached into her saddle bag and removed the items she had bought this afternoon at Mr. Bray's; candles, soap, and a few other essentials. Walking over to the packpack, she opened it up and placed a bar of her special scented soap into the bottom, Sully's favorite. After bedding down Flash for the night, she turned and walked up to the homestead.

Michaela knew that Sully would be disappointed that the children were not there for him to see. But she hoped that he wouldn't be too disappointed once he saw what she had planned for the night. Michaela set about preparing her little surprises for Sully. She set numerous candles around the downstairs and then pulled the bathtub out from under the stairs. She knew Sully would want a hot bath after being on the trail for so many days. Then she went upstairs to their bedroom and laid out Sully's favorite nightgown, the one her mother gave her for a wedding present.

Michaela came downstairs and started to prepare supper. She had made Sully's favorite dishes tonight and Grace had sent Sully's favorite pie home with her. As she looked out the kitchen window, she noticed that the sun was just beginning to set behind the mountains. She hoped Sully would be home soon, and she wanted to be waiting for him when he arrived. So she set about lighting the candles and started the fire in the living room. She then moved the tub in front of the fire and began filling it with water. She filled the kettle with water and put it on the fire so they would have hot water for the tub.

As she was doing all of this her mind began to wander; picturing Sully sitting in the tub, his hair wet and slicked back, his bare chest. Michaela could feel her excitement surging through her and wished that Sully would hurry and come home. She looked around the room, and satisfied with her efforts, turned to go up the stairs and get herself dressed for the night.

Half an hour later Michaela heard the sound of hoofbeats riding up to the homestead. She looked out the window and saw Sully riding his horse into the barn. After taking a final glance around the room, she went to the door to wait for her beloved.

After bedding down his horse for the night, Sully closed the barn and began walking up to the homestead. He was so glad to be home, he missed his family so much when he was away. He couldn't wait to see Katie and Brian, and of course Michaela. The thought of her made his heart skip a beat. He was looking forward to their special time tonight after the children were in bed. When he opened the door he was surprised to see Michaela standing there, and more surprised at what she was wearing.

"Surprise!", exclaimed Michaela. "Welcome home", she greeted as she threw her arms around his neck and placed her lips over his. Sully lost himself in her kiss, savoring every moment, the feel of her soft lips, her arms massaging his neck. It was not often that Michaela was so bold in showing her affection, but he loved it nonetheless.

After several moments Sully pulled apart, and looking over her shoulder into the homestead, he noticed the candles, and the quiet. "Mmmm, I missed you too," replied Sully. "Where are the children, and what's all this?", questioned Sully, pointing inside the homestead.

"I hope you're not disappointed," answered Michaela. "but Katie's with Grace and Robert E and Brian is staying the night with a friend". And as for this, well...I.., I wanted to...I was hoping..." said Michaela nervously, her cheeks now a crimson red.

Putting his finger to her lips Sully looked into her beautiful eyes and smiling said, "Shh, I'm 'not' disappointed, Michaela. Nothin' could make be happier than knowin' you did all of this for me." Then looking down at what she was wearing he said provocatively, "And you look absolutely beautiful, and inviting". And then taking her into his arms, he kissed her deeply, passionately until they were both breathless. He then lifted her slightly and carried her inside, closing the door behind him.

Once inside Sully set Michaela down and surveyed the rest of the room. It was then that he noticed the tub in front of the fire, the candles lit throughout the house, and the delicious smell of supper cooking. Turning to Michaela with that special smile of his, Sully said, "Smells delicious," and then glancing down at his clothes he added, "and I think a bath is definitely in order, don't you?"

Michaela smiled back and replied, "Why don't you go ahead and take a bath and I'll get supper ready. Everything's done but I'll set the table and then, if you don't mind, maybe I could help you with your bath?", she asked a little sheepishly.

"I don't mind a bit", answered Sully with a twinkle in his eyes. "In fact, I was hopin' that maybe you would even join me."

"Sully!" admonished Michaela. "That tub is definitely not big enough for the both of us, and besides, I already had my bath."

"Suit yourself," laughed Sully as he lifted the kettle out of the fire and poured it into the tub. Taking off his clothes, he stepped into the tub and sank down into the warm, sudsy water. As his body soaked up the warmth and his muscles began to relax, he watched Michaela as she busied herself in the kitchen. He watched her every move. Her long copper hair flowing down her back, her lacy nightgown gracely swirling as she moved from place to place, and how her smile lit up the whole room. Leaning back he closed his eyes and thanked the Spirits for this woman he loved more than life itself.

Michaela finished in the kitchen and quietly strolled over to kneel beside Sully. Picking up the bar of soap she gently began massaging Sully's shoulders. Sully quickly opened his eyes and reaching up to kiss her lips, responded "Mmmm, that feels nice". Michaela gently pushed his head back down on the tub and replied, "I'm glad, now just relax and let me take care of you tonight".

Sully once again closed his eyes and tried to relax, as Michaela slowly washed his arms and his chest and then moved down to each leg. She then moved back up to wash his long beautiful locks, pausing briefly to nibble at his ear. She felt him shudder at this and leaned over and lightly brushed her lips across his. Sully was trying hard to relax but it was becoming more and more difficult as he felt his wife's hands slowly move over his body. He could feel his body reacting to her touch and didn't know how much longer he could remain still.

Michaela once again began washing Sully's chest, her hands moving more sensually along his body. And then hesitantly, she moved her hands lower. Sully gasped, and Michaela stopped suddenly, now fully aware of the effect she was having on him. She looked shyly at Sully and with his eyes he encouraged her to continue. She continued to wash his most intimate parts until Sully could contain himself no longer. Reaching up he pulled Michaela down to him for a kiss.

"Sully, you're getting me all wet", responded Michaela breathless. Suddenly Sully stood up and stepping out of the tub, lifted Michaela into his arms. "What are doing?" asked Michaela as Sully bent down and kissed the top of her breasts. "Now, it's your turn," Sully replied as he plopped Michaela down into the water.

"Sully, are you crazy, I'm still dressed", exclaimed Michaela, trying without success to sound angry.

"Crazy about you", replied Sully, grinning from ear to ear. "Now, just lay back and relax. It's my turn to take care of you," he said, repeating her earlier words. Smiling, Michaela closed her eyes and tried to relax, as Sully picked up the soap and began washing her shoulders and arms. As Sully slowly began washing her body, Michaela could feel the friction of his hands through the thin fabric of her wet nightgown. This was definitely a different feeling, and a pleasant one she thought.

As Sully continued to roam his hands up and down the length of her body, he could see Michaela's chest rising up and down rapidly. He smiled, pleased at her response to him. Her skin was silky smooth, and now fresh with the scent of her special soap. He reached down and picked up her leg, and starting at her thigh, ran his tongue down the length of her leg until he reached her ankle. He looked up and seeing the fire in Michaela's eyes, began sucking on her toes. This caused Michaela to moan in pleasure.

Sully placed Michaela's foot back down into the water and moved to stand beside her. He reached down into the tub as she placed her arms around his neck and he lifted her out and stood her on the floor next to him. Sully turned Michaela to him and cupped her chin in his hands as he leaned in to kiss her fervently. Michaela responded in kind. As Sully reached down to the hem of her soaked nightgown and began slowly lifting it over her head, Michaela whispered, "Sully, dinner, it's getting cold."

"I think I want my dessert first", responded Sully huskily as he lowered them onto the floor. "I wasn't really hungry anyway", Michaela spoke softly, as she surrendered herself over to her husband.

They lay quietly together on the floor, wrapped tightly in a blanket, their skin warm and damp with perspiration. Sully lazily ran his hand up and down Michaela's back, occasionally placing tiny kisses on her forehead and cheek. Michaela sighed, content to lie in Sully's arms. Suddenly the stillness was interrupted by the sound of Michaela's growling stomach.

"I think my stomach is telling me I'm hungry for food," Michaela laughed.

"Yeah, you sure worked up my appetite," joked Sully. "I think dinner has waited long enough."

Sully stood up and extending his hand to Michaela, pulled her to her feet and into his embrace for a final kiss. Suddenly Michaela looked over at her soaked nightgown laying on the floor and said, "Now look what you've done, I don't have anything down here to wear. I need to go upstairs and get something else to put on, and then I'll get us both something to eat."

"No, wait, please," implored Sully. "Don't get dressed, please. I like ya just the way you are. Stay here and I'll get us something to eat, and then I'll bring it over here in front of the fire."

"Sully!, we can't eat dinner like this. And we surely can't stay like this all night. It's still early," replied Michaela.

"Sure we can", answered Sully. "No one's here, it's just the two of us. Please, for me," pleaded Sully as he watched the conflicting emotions cross over Michaela's face.

"This was surely not something a proper Boston lady would do," she thought. But as she looked up into his eyes her heart melted and Michaela whispered, "All right, for you."

Sully leaned over and gave her a quick kiss and then stood to go into the kitchen and get them something to eat. As Michaela watched him rise she smiled at the thought of the two of them, sitting in front of the fire, completely nude, eating dinner. And that is how Sully found her when he returned with two plates of food. "What are you smiling about?" asked Sully.

"Oh, I was just thinking of what my mother would think of me now. In Boston we always had to dress up for dinner. And now look at me, totally 'undressed' for dinner", replied Michaela laughing.

"Well, like they say, 'we ain't in Boston'," Sully replied jokingly. "And besides, you're even more beautiful to me now than you ever were in those fancy Boston dresses."

"You're awful," teased Michaela, as a slow blush suffused her face. "You simply can't get enough of making me blush, can you?"

"Nope, and I don't think I ever will. That's one of the things I love about you so much," answered Sully, as he leaned over to give her a kiss on the lips.

Wrapped in an Indian blanket, they sat in companionable silence as they ate their supper. After Sully had finished his plate he set it aside. Seeing that he was done Michaela asked, "Are you ready for dessert?"

"Well, that depends on what kind of dessert you're talkin' about," whispered Sully, his eyes full of mischief as his hand wandered up and down her leg.

"I was talking about pie, Sully, pumpkin pie to be exact. Your favorite kind, remember?", answered Michaela. "What other kind of dessert is there?" she teased back at him.

"Well, if it's that kind of dessert, then I think I'll wait for later," replied Sully with a huge grin on his face. As he leaned over and cupped Michaela's chin in his hand, he whispered "I love you" before seizing her mouth with his own for another passionate kiss. When they finally broke apart, Michaela once again laid her head on his shoulder as they both stared into the fire, content with just being together. After several moments, Michaela turned to Sully and asked, "How was your hunting trip with Cloud Dancing?"

"It was real good," replied Sully. "We had alot of good talks and Cloud Dancing seems to be doing well with his trading. He asked all about you and the family. I know he is happy when he comes back here. I think he really misses Dorothy when he's gone, but I think they have both accepted their relationship for what it is and are just content to spend time together when he is home."

"We all miss him when he's gone," said Michaela. "We must have him over for supper soon, and Dorothy also. I can't imagine not being able to spend your life with the person you love," continued Michaela as she gently rubbed Sully's knee, her touch conveying her overwhelming love for him.

"Cloud Dancing told me something the last time he was here. It was something the Spirits told him, about us," stated Sully.

"What?" asked Michaela curiously.

"Well, I suppose I can tell you, since Cloud Dancing told me. He said that the Spirits told him in a dream that you would conceive again," Sully said, his eyes twinkling with happiness.

Michaela's eyes lit up and smiling she asked, "Did the Spirits say whether it was a boy or a girl, or when I will conceive, or.."

Placing his finger on her lips, Sully quieted her with a kiss and then pulling away, he answered. "No, the Spirits only told Cloud Dancing that you would get pregnant, nothing else. But you know the Spirits are often vague about certain things, Michaela. Cloud Dancing said we were not meant to know anymore, only what the Spirits told him."

"Oh, Sully," exclaimed Michaela. "That is good news indeed. Maybe we made a baby today, or.." looking up at Sully, her eyes full of promise, she whispered softly, "maybe we'll make one later on tonight."

Smiling down at Michaela, Sully repeated something he had said to her when she was trying to get pregnant with Katie. "Even if we don't make a baby tonight, we can sure have fun trying".

Michaela smiled up at Sully and said, "Yes, you're absolutely right, and I know I shouldn't get my hopes up but I can't help but wonder when it will happen," Michaela told him.

"You're right, Michaela. Don't get your hopes up. It could be next month or next year. You just gotta be patient," Sully said with a smile, knowing all too well how 'patient' Michaela could be. "Speaking of children, who is Brian staying with?" questioned Sully.

"He's staying with a new friend he met a few days ago. In fact Brian and I both made a new friend. He arrived on the train two days ago with his mother. He was ill, so I took him to the clinic and since then we've all become good friends," answered Michaela. "His name is Josh and his mother's name is Sheryl Cowan. We had them over for dinner last night and Sheryl and I spent the night talking. She told me so many things about herself and Josh."

"You said he was ill, is he all right now?, asked Sully.

"Well, no, not really. He's doing all right at the moment, but.." answered Michaela as her voice trailed off. Taking Sully's hand into her own, she turned to Sully and her eyes brimming with tears she quietly explained, "He has cancer, Sully. I don't really know how much time he has left."

Taking Michaela into his arms, he held her tightly for a few moments before asking, "Is there anything you can do for him?"

"I can make him comfortable when he's in pain and give him something to help him sleep, but we really don't know much about this disease and as you know there is no cure for cancer," Michaela stated matter of factly. "Sometimes I just feel so helpless, but I know all I can do is be there for him. And I think Sheryl really needed someone to be there for her. I think that's why she opened up so much to me."

"Where's her husband?" Sully asked with genuine concern showing on his face.

"Well, her husband, Ben, he died about a year ago in a farming accident. That's when they decided to look for Josh's real pa," answered Michaela. "That's why they left Illinois and came out West."

"His real pa?" questioned Sully, a look of confusion on his face.

"Well, it seems that a long time ago Sheryl became pregnant, but the man left before he ever knew about it. So Sheryl married and Ben raised Josh as his own. It wasn't until Ben's accident that they decided to tell Josh the truth. Now they've come out here looking for his real father," answered Michaela.

"Did her husband know about this other man, that she was pregnant?", asked Sully.

"Yes, he did," Michaela told him. "But Ben was in love with her and he had wanted a child for a very long time but because of a war injury, wasn't able to have one of his own. So he raised Josh as his own."

"Her husband must have been a very special man," replied Sully. "Why does she think he's here?" asked Sully.

"She only told me she had her reasons. I don't think she was ready to reveal everything to me, and since we had only become friends, I didn't want to push," explained Michaela. "Sully?" Michaela asked hesitantly, "do you think that after all this time that a man would want to be found, that he'd want to know about a son he never knew he had?"

After a moments thought Sully replied, "I don't know, Michaela. A lot of things could have happened in that time, but I do know that if it was me, and I had a son out there that I never knew about, I think I would want to know."

"Yes, that's what I told Sheryl. I told her the risk was worth taking. She's so afraid that Josh, or maybe even her, will get hurt if this man wants nothing to do with them. But I think she owes that much to Josh to try, don't you?" asked Michaela.

"Yes, I do," agreed Sully. "But enough talk about them for tonight. I think maybe I'm ready for that dessert now?" Sully said with a twinkle in his eye.

Michaela stood up and wrapped the blanket tightly around her. As she started to walk away, Sully asked, "Michaela, where ya goin'?"

"I'm going to get that dessert you wanted and," looking shyly at Sully she added "nature calls."

As Sully watched Michaela walk away he thought of all of things she had told him tonight. He thought of this new friend of Brian's, knowing all too well that he was going to die, yet trying to carrying on as any normal boy his age. Looking up, Sully silently offered a prayer to the Spirits that this boy would find peace in his last days here on this earth, and the Spirits willing, this child would be joined at last with his father. Suddenly Michaela appeared beside him with a piece of pumpkin pie. Smiling up at her, he offered up his hand as she settled next to him, wrapping the blanket around both of them.

Michaela broke off a small piece of pie and began feeding Sully. They continued on in this manner, each feeding the other, Sully leaning over and giving Michaela kisses between bites. Sully broke off a piece of pie and stuck it in Michaela's mouth, only to drop a small piece onto the top of Michaela's breast. Before Michaela could reach down and pick it up, Sully leaned over and opening his mouth, ate the small piece of pie. Michaela gasped as Sully's mouth brushed her breast. Looking deeply into his eyes, she could see his fire building once again, as she felt it stirring inside her also. Setting the plate aside, she reached up and brushed a lock of hair off of Sully's forehead, then leaned into him and seized his mouth with hers.

"I love you so much, Michaela," whispered Sully into Michaela's ear, as his fingers slowly entwined themselves in her long hair. Sully leaned back against the wing back chair and lifted Michaela onto his lap so that she was facing him, her legs straddling his hips. As she kissed his shoulder and moving up to his neck she slowly and sensually moved her hands up and down his back, raising goosebumps on his flesh. He shuddered as her hands began to move lower and her body pressed tightly against his own. He could feel the heat of their bodies together and his own body reacted to her touch.

Sully pulled apart slightly and ran his fingers along the sides of her breasts. He could feel her heart pounding against his own. Michaela's hands roamed up and down the length of Sully's torso as she grazed her tongue along his shoulder. Glancing down at his lap, she could see his desire for her growing. "Michaela," Sully groaned as he lifted her slightly onto him.

"Sully!" Michaela moaned with delight. Soon their bodies were moving as one, their tongues meeting in urgent kisses, their hands groping and finding hot flesh. Their bodies were on fire, their breathing quick and rapid, until reaching their peak, the fireworks exploded, sending their bodies spiraling out of control.

Afterwards, they sat there, their bodies still connected. Michaela continued to quiver, her release had been so intense. Sully soothingly rubbed her back as their breathing began to slow. Resting his forehead on hers, he whispered teasingly, "You'll be the death of me yet."

"Are you complaining?" questioned Michaela, a glint in her eye. "Because if you are..."

"No, no, definitely not complaining," laughed Sully. "Just making an observation, that's all. And I can't think of a more pleasin' way to go," he added jokingly, before placing another kiss on her lips, quieting her next remark.

Sully shifted slightly and moved Michaela to sit at his side, his arm wrapped tightly around her waist, his fingers playing in her silky hair. "Just think, Michaela, it won't be long before we'll be at the top of Pikes Peak. Do ya think we can have another night like this one, up there all by ourselves," Sully asked, his voice full of anticipation.

"Well, that depends," answered Michaela, her eyes glimmering in the firelight.

"On what?" asked Sully, knowing she was now playing along with him. "Well, that depends on if we wear any clothes or not," responded Michaela, her smile lighting up the whole room.

"I'm sure that can be arranged," Sully answered as he pushed a stray hair behind Michaela's ear and kissed her cheek.

Yawning, Michaela smiled at Sully and leaned her head against his shoulder, content just to be held in his arms. They sat like that for a long time, the blanket once again wrapped warmly around them, listening to the quiet of the night, watching the shadows of the firelight flicker off the walls. Michaela became mesmerized by the fire and soon her eyes became heavy and her mind drifted off. Sully looked down and saw Michael's eyes begin to droop. Gently touching her shoulder he softly spoke, "It's gettin' late, why don't we head on upstairs."

"That sound nice," Michaela murmured as Sully pulled her to her feet, the blanket dropping to the floor. "I think you wore me out," she said quietly as she looked up at Sully with a crooked smile.

"I think we wore each other out," replied Sully as he lifted her into his arms and began walking towards the stairs.

"Sully, wait," Michaela said softly, "shouldn't we clean this up first?" she asked, pointing to the tub and their clothes on the floor.

"Nah," replied Sully yawning. "I'll get it in the morning. Right now all I want to do is climb into our warm bed and sleep with you in my arms."

"There's nothing I'd like better," answered Michaela as she wrapped her arms tightly around Sully's neck and laid her head against his chest as he carried her up to their bedroom.

Sully took Michaela over to their bed and laid her down gently in the middle. He pulled the blanket up around her and then climbed in and laid by her side. He immediately reached for her and pulled her close to snuggle against his chest. He lay on his side, Michaela nestled in his arms, placing kisses on her shoulder. Staring into the darkened room, lit only by the moonlight coming in the window, Michaela whispered, "Everything seems so peaceful now. You make me so happy, Sully. I love having you home with us, holding me like this. But sometimes I can't help but wonder how long it will last. Something always happens to disrupt our happiness." Her voice was somber now and her hands tightened around Sully's waist, pulling him even closer.

Sully kissed the top of Michaela's head and tightened his own grip around her waist. "Michaela, now don't go looking for trouble. Let's just be happy with what we got and don't go frettin' over something that ain't happened yet. Think happy thoughts, remember?" he said, remembering his words to her when he was comforting her when she was very pregnant with Katie.

"You're right," Michaela yawned. "I'm being silly, as usual," she remarked. "I love you."

"I love you too," whispered Sully. "Good nite'." Closing her eyes, Michaela quickly drifted off to sleep, and Sully soon followed.

*********************
Michaela was the first to wake up the next morning. As she opened her eyes she looked into the gentle face of her sleeping husband. She watched him sleep a few moments longer before deciding to wake him up. She gently traced his jawbone with her finger, and then leaned over and brushed her lips lightly against his. He stirred slightly and without opening his eyes, he brushed his hand across his mouth. Michaela decided to try again. She moved closer to him and laying her leg over the top of his, she again kissed his lips, deeper this time, and ran her fingers across his bare chest.

Sully's eyes opened slowly, a huge smile across his face. "Mmmm, mornin'," replied Sully, pulling her closer and returning her kiss. "Sleep well?"

"Perfect," answered Michaela, her hands now moving more sensually across his chest.

"Shouldn't we be getting up soon?" Michaela asked, though making no attempt to rise.

"Up!" replied Sully as he ran his hand along her leg, "I think you already got me 'up'", smiled Sully, "and there's no turning back now."

Smiling that crooked smile she saves only for Sully, she responded, "Who said anything about turning back?" Turning over onto her back, she pulled Sully down and seized his mouth with hers, exploring his mouth with her tongue. They were once again consumed by their love for each other and continued to show each other in their special way.

A while later Sully headed downstairs to clean up from their previous night's activities. After washing up, Michaela headed down the stairs to start breakfast. They ate a leisurely breakfast together and then prepared to go into town.

They had just arrived into town, Michaela's arm hooked around Sully's elbow, when Michaela turned to Sully and asked, "Sully, would you mind if I invited Sheryl and her son for dinner tonight? I'd really like for you to meet her."

"No, I don't mind at all," replied Sully. "I'll be at Robert E's all day so why don't I come by the clinic this afternoon and we can pick them up and take them out to the homestead." Sully stopped the wagon in front of the clinic and jumped down. Walking over to the other side, he reached up and lifted Michaela out of the wagon. Giving her a kiss and whispering "I love you", he turned to climb back up into the wagon. Michaela placed her hand on his arm and Sully turned back to look at her. "What?" he asked, seeing that she had something else to say.

"Um, well..., Sully, I just wanted to say thank you, for last night," Michaela said in almost a whisper, her cheeks flushed. Sully looked into her eyes and smiled as he watched her blush deepen.

"You're welcome," he whispered back, and then leaning closer to her ear, he whispered, "It was my pleasure." Giving her a wink he said, "I'm gonna stop by the cafe and say hi to Katie. How 'bout I meet ya here for lunch?"

"That sounds nice," answered Michaela. "Tell Grace I'll be over in just a few minutes to pick up Katie, and then I'll go to the boarding house and invite Sheryl for dinner." And with that Sully gave the reigns a snap and rode off in the direction of Robert E's.

**************************
Michaela had just finished cleaning her instruments when she heard the clock on the wall begin to chime. She looked up to see that it was already 3:00. She knew Brian would be out of school soon and would be coming to the clinic, and Sully would be following shortly thereafter. She decided to use the remainder of her day to catch up on patient files. She had had an unusually slow day, only seeing two patients, and had decided to use her time cleaning the clinic.

As she settled in the chair behind her desk, patient files laying in front of her, Brian opened the door and stepped in. "Hi, ma," greeted Brian as he reached out to give Michaela a hug. "I missed you. Did you and pa have a good time last night?"

"Hello, Brian," answered Michaela, returning the hug. "I missed you too, and yes, we had a nice evening together," she replied as a slow blush swept across her face as she remembered the events of last night. "How was school today?"

"It was great, ma. We're studying about wildlife so Miss Teresa gave us a project to do about animals," returned Brian. "We're supposed to pick an animal and write an essay about it. She gave us two weeks to get it done though."

"That sounds like it should be very interesting", replied Michaela. "Do you have any idea what you would like to write about?"

"Well, I've been thinking about that all afternoon, and I decided that I'm gonna write about the buffalo. Do you think Sully would help me? I bet he knows a lot about buffalo," stated Brian.

"Well, I'm sure if you ask him he'd been more than willing to help, Brian. And I bet there may be a few books in the library that you could look at as well," said Michaela. "I invited Josh and his mother for supper tonight. Sully will be here soon and then we can ride over together and pick them up."

"That's great ma," stated Brian exuberantly. "I really like Josh. I'm glad they came to Colorado Springs."

"So am I, Brian. And I'm glad you and Josh have become good friends. He really needs a friend that he can count on right now," replied Michaela.

"Ma," Brian said hesitantly. "I was talking to Miss Teresa about Josh today and I was wondering, well..." "Yes..," encouraged Michaela. "Well, do you think that maybe Josh could go to school here," asked Brian, "since they might be here for awhile, and all? Miss Teresa said she thought it would be a good idea."

"Well, that would be up to Josh and his mother of course," answered Michaela. "But I think that's a wonderful idea, Brian. Why don't we ask them tonight after supper."

"Thanks ma," replied Brian. Just then Sully opened the door and walking over to Michaela, he placed his arms around her waist and said, "Hi beautiful, I missed ya," before placing his lips over hers and kissing her deeply. Blushing, Michaela pulled away and whispered in Sully's ear.

"Sully, Brian's here," as she nodded in the direction of Brian, standing halfway hidden behind the open door. Sully turned and giving Brian a wink said teasingly, "But Michaela, Brian already knows all about the birds and the bees, remember?" And then turning to Brian he said, "How is everything, Brian. I missed you and Katie while I was gone."

Brian was still giggling from Sully's comments and closing the door he said, "Hi, pa. I missed you too." As Sully walked over to where Katie was sitting and reached down to pick her up, Brian asked, "Sully, Miss Teresa gave us an essay to do on wildlife. I'm gonna write about the buffalo. Will you help me?"

"Sure," answered Sully. "Sounds like you picked a good subject. I can tell you all the different ways the Indians used the buffalo, for food, clothing and shelter." And then turning to Katie he gave her a kiss on the cheek and said, "How's my little girl. Have you been good for your ma today?"

Suddenly the door burst open and Hank and Jake came running in carrying Mr. Anderson. "Dr. Mike," yelled Jake. "His horse got spooked and he was thrown from his wagon. We found him walking, half dazed, into town just a minute ago."

"I think his arm is broken," added Hank.

"Please, lay him down on the examination table," Michaela spoke up, as Sully and Brian moved to the side to let Michaela attend to her patient. Turning her attention to her patient, Michaela asked, "Mr. Anderson, are you feeling dizzy or sick? It looks as if you may have hit your head also. You have a cut on the top of your head, right here," she stated as she pressed a cloth to his wound.

"No, not dizzy or sick, but my head does hurt just a little. But it's my arm mostly that hurts," answered Mr. Anderson. "Darn horse got spooked by a little rattlesnake, just up and reared and out I went."

"Well, there doesn't seem to be anything serious, but I will have to set that arm and stitch up the gash on your head," replied Michaela. Turning her attention to Sully and Brian she said, "It looks like this may take me awhile, Sully. Why don't you and Brian go over to the boarding house and pick up Sheryl and Josh. You can take them out to the homestead and start dinner, if you wouldn't mind. I'll be there as soon as I can."

"All right," answered Sully. "We'll take Katie with us and we'll have supper ready when you get there. Ready Brian?" Sully asked as he headed for the door.

"I'm going to have to reset your arm..." they heard Michaela say as they shut the door behind them. Once outside Brian climbed into the wagon and reached for Katie as Sully handed her up. He then climbed in beside Brian and snapped the reigns. Within minutes they pulled up in front of the boarding house. Sully jumped down and Brian handed Katie to him and then he jumped down also.

Sully knocked on the boarding house door and was soon greeted by Widow Stephens. "Good afternoon, Mr. Sully, Brian," greeted Widow Stephens. "I believe Mrs. Cowan and her son are expecting you. I'll let them know you're here."

"Thank you. We'll wait outside for them," answered Sully, and then turned to lean against the boarding house. After several moments a young boy appeared on the doorsteps.

"Brian," yelled Josh. "I couldn't wait to see you." Just then a young woman walked up behind Josh. Sully turned to her to introduce himself when he suddenly stopped in his tracks.

"Mrs. Cowan, this is my pa, Sully," spoke Brian. "Pa, this is Josh's ma, Mrs. Cowan." As Sully turned Sheryl's mouth dropped slightly before she was quickly able to compose herself. Extending her hand, she said, "Mr. Sully, I'm pleased to meet you, and please, call me Sheryl. I was expecting Dr. Mike, is everything all right?"

Sully stared at her a moment longer and then taking her pro-offered hand, he replied, "Pleased to meet you, Sheryl. And it's just Sully. Michaela had an emergency at the clinic and asked me to take you and Josh on out to the homestead. She'll be there shortly, if that's all right with you?"

"Yes, that would be fine," answered Sheryl and then suddenly remembering, looked briefly into Sully's eyes and said, "Sully, I'd like you to meet my son, Josh." Turning his eyes quickly away from hers, Sully turned his attention to Josh. As he looked at Josh, he noticed his deep blue eyes. It was as if he were looking into a mirror and he was once again taken aback.

"Hel.., hello, Josh," Sully stuttered before gaining his composure once again. "I'm glad Brian was able to meet a new friend. Are you ready to go?", he asked quickly, looking at Josh and then to Sheryl. Luckily their awkward greeting had gone unnoticed by both boys.

The wagon ride home was a quiet one, at least in the front seat. Brian and Josh chatted aimlessly, occasionally bringing Sully and Sheryl into the conversation. And Katie, sitting in the back with the boys, babbled continuously, often bringing the boys to laughter. But Sully and Sheryl were both lost in deep thought, though Sheryl noticed that Sully would often glance over his shoulder to look at Josh.

Sully was still in a state of shock. He didn't know what to think. Was this boy really his son? And if he indeed was, what would his family think. And Michaela, how would she take all of this. Would he even be able to tell her. After all, he had never found the courage to tell her of that night before. But that night was so long ago. He had even tried to wipe it from his mind. It was still so blurry to him. He often wondered if it had ever happened at all, or was it just a dream. He had been so disoriented at the time, so lost.

His thoughts continued to play on. Would he be able to love this boy, the same as he did Brian, or Katie. Would this boy be able to accept him as his father, after all of this time. And then Sully remembered Michaela's words that Josh was ill, probably going to die, and his stomach clenched. His body broke out in a sweat. He was afraid to even look at the woman sitting beside him. What was she thinking right now?

Sheryl's mind was in a whirl also. She couldn't believe that the man she had been looking for was Dr. Mike's husband. She had told her so many personal things. Intimate things about that night. What would Dr. Mike think now, when she realized that it had been her husband with her that night? Would Sully even want to be Josh's pa. He had so much to consider now, with a wife and a family. But she had known all along that there was a possibility that this man would want no part of them. She felt a knot in her stomach at that thought. She glanced at Sully and noticed the beads of sweat on his forehead. She wondered what he was thinking right now.

They soon arrived at the homestead. Sully hopped down from the wagon and walked around to the other side and offered Sheryl his hand. After helping her down, he went to the back of the wagon and took Katie from Brian, and the two boys jumped down also. Once inside the homestead, Brian took Josh up to his room. Sully stood there with Katie in his arms, an awkward silence looming about the room. Neither one knew what to say next. Deciding to break the silence, Sheryl spoke, "Dr. Mike tells me you built this house with your own hands. It's very beautiful."

"Thank you," replied Sully. "I wanted to build something nice for my family and especially for Michaela." And then looking at Sheryl he said, "Why don't we start supper. I told Michaela it would be ready when she came home. I'll start the stew and you can start with the biscuits. I'm pretty good at making stew, but my biscuits are another story," he said with a slight smile. "Is that all right with you?"

"Sure, that will be fine," Sheryl answered. Just then Brian and Josh came running down the steps.

"Pa," stated Brian. "Josh and me are gonna go play in the barn, okay."

"That's fine Brian, be careful," replied Sully. And then looking down at Katie, who was now hanging onto his leg, he added, "Uh, Brian, would you and Josh mind if Katie came along. She loves jumping in the haystacks. And then Sheryl and me can start supper."

"Sure, Pa," answered Brian. "Come on Kates, let's go play in the hay." And with that Katie started jumping up and down, clapping her hands, and squealing with laughter. Brian grabbed Katie's hand and the three of them walked out the door.

Sully went into the kitchen and began getting everything out for supper. The two worked quietly side by side, Sully cutting up vegetables and Sheryl kneading the dough. After a long silence, Sully cleared his throat and looking at Sheryl he said, "Josh is my son, isn't he." It wasn't really a question, but more of a statement.

"Yes, he is," stated Sheryl, looking suddenly very uncomfortable.

Sully noticed this and said, "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to make you uncomfortable. It's just that this whole thing is such a shock. For the both of us. But I think we need to talk, don't you?"

Sheryl paused for a moment and then took a deep breath. "Sully, look, I didn't mean for it to happen this way. And if you want Josh and I to leave, we will, now. You don't owe us anything." stated Sheryl as she nervously wrung her hands.

"No, that's not what I meant," stated Sully emphatically. "I don't know what to think right now. But I know there's probably a lot of questions we both have." Sheryl simply nodded her head, unable to speak at the moment.

Taking a few minutes to regain her composure, Sheryl spoke quietly. "You never told me your name that night."

"Well, yeah, I thought the least we knew about each other, the better." And then looking into Sheryl's eyes, he added apologetically, "I never meant for anything to happen that night."

Taking a deep breath, Sheryl replied, "I know, but it was more my doing than yours. You were the one that tried to stop it. But Sully, I want you to know that I have never regretted that night, ever. After all, I have Josh now, and he's been the joy of my life. Something happened that night. You gave me the courage to go back and face my husband."

"So you did go back?" questioned Sully.

"Yes, I went back but my husband was already dead. He bleed to death that night," answered Sheryl.

"I'm sorry," was all Sully could say.

"No, don't be," stated Sheryl. "I wasn't." Sully glanced quickly at Sheryl with a confused look on his face. "I know you probably think that is terrible of me. But I suffered so much from the hands of that man, that I just couldn't feel sorry for him anymore."

"I suppose that's only natural, considerin' the condition I found you that night." replied Sully.

Sheryl looked intently at Sully and in almost a whisper she asked, "Why did you leave so suddenly that night?"

Sully picked up the vegetables he had been chopping and carried them over to the pot on the stove. He then added the venison which he had brought home from his hunting trip and added a few spices. Stirring the stew he placed the lid on the pot and set the stew to simmer. Walking slowing back to where Sheryl was standing, he chose his words carefully. "I guess I was ashamed. I've always had alot of respect for women and I was ashamed that I dishonored you. I lost control and I shouldn't have," Sully said as he lowered his eyes to the floor, not sure if he should say more.

"Sully, please, look at me," replied Sheryl. "I've never felt that you dishonored me in any way. We were both hurting that night and we reached out to each other. That's all it was. There was nothing wrong with that." And then hesitating a moment she asked, "Sully, who's Abagail?"

The questioned startled Sully. For a moment he was speechless, and then looking at Sheryl with questioning eyes, he said, "Abagail was my wife, but how do you know about her?"

Sheryl finished making the biscuits and set them aside to be put into the oven later. She then wiped her hands on her apron and drew in a deep breath. "That night in the cabin, when you... uh, I mean when we.... well, you know.., you called me Abagail," stuttered Sheryl, her face now flushed.

"I'm sorry," was all Sully could say, now embarrassed as well. "I'm sorry if that hurt you."

"No, that's all right, really. What happened to her?" Sheryl questioned.

"She died giving birth, along with our daughter," Sully spoke softly.

"Is that why you were in the cabin that night?" asked Sheryl. "Is that what you were running from?"

Sully once again looked at her, his eyes now filled with the pain of remembering. "Yeah. I was lost for a very long time after Abagail's death. I ran off and joined the army but then something happened there so I just ran away, and kept on running. That's when you found me in the cabin," responded Sully.

Sully looked at Sheryl for a long time. He wondered if he should continue. But looking into her eyes, he knew that she deserved the truth. Taking a deep breath, he continued. "I guess that's part of the reason I left that night. You see, I had been walking around in a haze for weeks. I hardly ate or slept. In my mind you were Abagail, at least for that night. For one small moment I was making love to her again. When the fog finally lifted from my mind that night, and I realized what I had done, I was so ashamed that I just left. I'm sorry if I hurt you by that and I hope you can forgive me," Sully replied, his eyes searching hers for forgiveness.

"No, you didn't hurt me," answered Sheryl truthfully. "After all, it was a very long time ago. But it does explain your actions that night."

"Sully, please, you needn't apologize for that night," continued Sheryl. "You taught me something very special about myself that night. If it hadn't been for you, I never would have found the courage to return home. And in going back, I was able to have a new life with Ben. He was a very good husband to me, and a wonderful father to Josh. He was very kind and gentle, like you, and he showed me what a true marriage was all about. I want to thank you for that."

Sully looked at the clock on the mantle and realized that it was getting late. Walking over to the oven, he opened the door and placed the biscuits in. He then stirred the pot of stew. "I hope Michaela's not too late tonight," he commented. "We may have to eat dinner without her if she doesn't come home soon." And then suddenly, slapping the palm of his hand against his forehead he said, "I'm sorry, please forgive my manners. Would you like something to drink? Some lemonade or tea maybe."

"Tea would be lovely," answered Sheryl, "if it's not any trouble."

"No, no trouble at all," replied Sully. "I'll put on a pot of water now," he said, filling the kettle with water and placing it on top of the stove. "Would you like to go sit down in the living room?" Sully asked, gesturing to the wingback chairs in front of the fireplace.

Sheryl nodded and the two of them walked over to the chairs, Sheryl seating herself in one of them while Sully started a fire in the fireplace. Unnoticed, Sheryl studied his face. His appearance really hadn't changed that much she thought to herself. He still had the same gorgeous hair, the same gentle facial features, the same beautiful eyes. She suddenly felt herself blush. She dismissed these thoughts from her mind. After all, he was a married man now. This definitely wasn't how she hoped it would turn out.

Sully noticed her flushed cheeks and asked, "Are you too warm? I don't have to start a fire."

"No, I'm fine. A fire would be lovely," Sheryl said. Sully finished starting the fire and then took his place in the other wingback chair. After a long silence, he turned to Sheryl and asked, "How did you find me. I mean if you didn't even know my name, how did you know I was here in Colorado Springs?"

Sheryl looked at Sully's troubled face. "The paper," she replied. "I saw your picture in the paper. Apparently you had some trouble with the army and you were in all the papers back home. I never knew your name, but I've never forgotten your face."

"Oh," was all Sully said.

"I've saved every article. I think what you did was a very brave act. I've always believed that our government has treated the Indians unkindly. It took alot of courage to stick up for them like you did," Sheryl said. "And even if I never found you, I was going to show them to Josh before he ...." her voice trailing off.

Hearing her voice quiver, Sully looked at Sheryl and quietly asked, "Sheryl, tell me about Josh. Michaela says he has a serious illness?"

Sheryl looked up at Sully, her eyes moist, and attempting a slight smile she said, "Well, he has your eyes."

"I noticed that right off," Sully commented.

"He's quiet, he's bright, and he loves the outdoors," continued Sheryl. "He loves to draw, just like Brian, and he loves animals too. He had a good relationship with his father, they were very close, though Ben wasn't always able to spend as much time with him as he wanted to. Ben's death hit him hard, though he tries to hide it for my sake," said Sheryl, her voice now obviously full of pride.

"I'm sure you're real proud of him," replied Sully. "And Ben must have been a very special man."

"Yes, he was that," stated Sheryl proudly. And then in a more somber voice she added. "It was about two years ago that Josh became sick. We took him to many doctors, and they all said the same thing, that Josh has a form of cancer called Leukemia. There is no cure. But like Dr. Mike told me, Josh could continue to live many years, or it could happen at any time," her voice now barely a whisper. "It was Josh's idea to come look for his real father."

Outside they heard a horse ride up and the sound of Brian's voice. "Hi, ma, glad you're home. I'm starving."

Sully stood up and said, "Michaela's home. I best get the bread out of the oven." And then pausing, he turned to Sheryl and said, "Sheryl, please, can we not say anything tonight. I need some time to think and to sort everything out."

Nodding, Sheryl replied, "Of course, Sully. Like I said before, it's your decision. Whatever you decide to do, I'll respect that decision, no matter what," she added as she looked into Sully's eyes to convey to him that whatever decision he made, she would understand.

The door swung open and Michaela walked in carrying Katie. Katie was covered in hay and was still giggling. Setting Katie down on the floor, she walked over to Sully who was taking the bread out of the oven.. Leaning over to kiss him, she said, "Hi, sorry I'm so late. I wanted to keep Mr. Anderson at the clinic overnight, so I had to wait until Andrew arrived to stay with him for the night."

"That's all right, Michaela. Dinner's just now ready and the boys have been keeping Katie occupied in the barn," answered Sully.

"Yes, I can see," laughed Michaela as she picked pieces of hay out of Katie's hair. Yawning, Michaela picked Katie up and looking at Sully said, "I think Katie and I will go wash up before supper. We'll be back in a few minutes. Why don't you call the boys in and have them wash up also."

Looking into Michaela's eyes Sully responded by giving her another kiss. "You look tired, Michaela. Everything all right?"

"Yes Sully, I'm fine, just a little tired, that's all. It's been a long day and I guess I didn't realize how tired I really was." And then leaning towards Sully, with her lips close to his ear, she whispered, "I guess you wore me out last night." And then giving Sully a wink, she turned to walk up the stairs.

She stopped before going up the stairs and turning to Sheryl, who was still sitting in the wingback chair, she said, "Hello Sheryl. I'm sorry I wasn't able to meet you this afternoon. I hope you and Sully have had a chance to become acquainted."

"That's all right, Dr. Mike," replied Sheryl. "I understand. And your husband has been a wonderful host. Please, go ahead and take care of Katie. I'll call the boys in and have them get ready for dinner also."

"Thank you. I'll be down soon," answered Michaela as she ascended the stairs with Katie in her arms.

Dinner that even was anything but quiet. Brian and Josh were anxious to tell everyone about their time playing in the barn. Josh had never jumped into a haystack before, and Katie loved being swung and thrown into a pile of hay. Katie was so excited that she was barely able to eat. Michaela had to calm her down several times so that she would take a few bites of food. Brian decided that now was a good time to ask about Josh attending school here in Colorado Springs.

"Mrs. Cowan, I was talking to my teacher today, Miss Teresa," Brian said as he glanced towards Michaela. "Well, I was wondering if maybe Josh could go to school with me. Miss Teresa said it was all right with her."

Suddenly the table became very quiet. Sully looked up from his plate and glanced at Sheryl and then at Michaela. Sheryl looked from Brian to Josh, averting any looks from Sully or Michaela. Clearing her throat, she replied, "Brian, that's very thoughtful of you, but I'm not sure if Josh is up to going to school with everyone else right now?" That being the only excuse she could think of at the moment, she had hoped that Brian would let it go at that, but that was not to be the case.

"Please, ma," begged Josh. "I really want to go. I'll make sure I don't get too tired. I promised Brian I would help him on his school project." Josh looked pleadingly at his mother and then at Brian.

"His school project?" questioned Sheryl.

"Yeah, Miss Teresa gave us a project to do about wildlife. I'm gonna do mine on the buffalo. Sully is gonna help me with the written part and since Josh is such a good artist, he's gonna help me draw pictures of buffalo," Brian said proudly as he looked at Josh and then back at his mother.

Suddenly Sheryl felt very uncomfortable. Sully noticed this immediately and interrupted. "Brian, it was real nice of you to think about Josh, but I think this is something that Josh and his ma should discuss privately, don't you?"

Trying to keep the disappointment out of his voice, he looked at Sully and replied, "Sure pa." Brian and Josh glanced quickly at each other, Josh giving Brian a slight smile as if to say, "I'll work on her later."

Sully decided to change the subject. Turning to Josh he said, "Hey, Josh, your ma tells me that you like the outdoors. Did you know that Colorado Springs has some of the most amazing natural wonders in the whole world? We have the hot springs not far from here."

Josh's blue eyes lit up. "Really!" he exclaimed.

Now it was Brian's turn to jump in. "Pa, maybe you could take me and Josh out to the hotsprings tomorrow, maybe take us fishing too. Tomorrow's Saturday," Brian asked excitedly. And then glancing at his ma, he added "Girls can come too. We could all go on a picnic together," his eyes pleading with Michaela to say yes.

"That sounds like a lovely idea, Brian. But I have to go into the clinic tomorrow and check on Mr. Anderson But I see no reason why Sully couldn't take the rest of you there," Michaela answered as she looked at Sully and asked, "if that's all right with you?"

Sully glanced quickly at Sheryl and then turned back to Michaela. "Sure, that's all right with me, if it's all right with Sheryl."

Sheryl nodded her head and simultaneously both boys yelled, "all right!"

Sully looked back down at his plate of food. "This will give us a chance to talk more about all of this," Sully thought to himself.

Michaela hadn't realized just how tired she was. She busied herself with Katie as much as possible and tried to keep focused on the conversation around her. But she was fighting a loosing battle. Sully glanced at Michaela and saw her stifle a yawn. He once again noticed how exhausted she looked. She looked up to see Sully watching her. She smiled slightly at him and then rising said, "Why don't we have our dessert and some tea in the living room."

Sheryl too had noticed how tired Michaela looked and had seen her trying to stifle several yawns during dinner. Rising from the table she turned to Michaela and said, "I had a lovely time, Michaela, but it's getting rather late and I think we better head back to town." And then turning to Sully, she asked, "Would you mind?"

"Ah, ma, do we have to go now. What about dessert?" whined Josh. But a stern look from his mother quickly quieted him.

"You can take a piece of cake home with you, how's that Josh?" Michaela asked as she rose from the table and went to the counter to cut a piece of cake. Wrapping the cake up she brought it over and handed it to Josh.

"Thank you, Michaela, for everything," remarked Sheryl as they walked down the stairs to the wagon, Josh holding on tight to his dessert.

As Sully helped her climb into the wagon, she felt a relief wash over her. She was glad to be out of the house. It had been uncomfortable sitting there, trying to act as if nothing was wrong. She had tried not to glance at Sully, but had unconsciously found herself doing so. And she had often felt his eyes glancing at her. Fortunately, Michaela had been too exhausted and their occasional glances had gone unnoticed.

Once Sheryl and Josh were in the wagon, Sully turned to Michaela and taking her hand in his he said, "Why don't you and Katie go on up to bed. I know you're tired. I'll clean up when I get home."

"Thank you, Sully," Michaela said softly, and then turning to wave good-bye, yawned once again as Sully climbed up into the wagon and gave the reigns a snap.

**************************
It was much later when Sully walked into their bedroom. After returning home he had been unable to sleep and had gone out into the barn to talk to the Spirits. He still had not found peace. His mind was in such a turmoil and he felt so frightened. He knew that today's events would change their lives forever, and that frightened him terribly. He also knew that from the moment he looked into Josh's piercing blue eyes, he never really had a choice. He couldn't turn his back on his son, especially now, when Josh needed a pa so much. But would Michaela understand that? Would she hate him for it? That thought sent chills down his spine and a knot in his stomach.

Michaela was sleeping soundly, her hair laying slightly over her face. Sully knelt beside the bed and lightly caressed her cheek, pushing the stray hair away from her face. He sighed deeply. He loved this woman so much that he often ached for her when he was away. She was his heartsong, his soulmate. How would he ever be able to tell her? But he knew he must, he had no choice, he never did. He would tell her tomorrow, he thought, after he talked to Sheryl. Taking off his shoes and his buckskins he climbed into bed, wrapping his arms around Michaela and drawing her close. He lay there, unable to close his eyes, thinking about the events of the last day. Was it only last night, he thought to himself, that Michaela had wondered aloud what would happen next, what would interrupt their happiness. Leaning his head over hers, he lightly kissed her temple, and then in barely a whisper he cried, "Forgive me, Michaela, please forgive me." Pulling her even closer, he tried to will his body to sleep, but it was a long time in coming.

*****************************
Michaela was the first to wake the next morning. She stretched her arms and yawned, trying to shake the weariness from her tired body. Seeing Sully still asleep, she decided not to wake him. She heard Katie's cries from the nursery and grabbing her robe off the bedpost, she walked into Katie's room. Katie was standing up in her crib, banging the rails with her bunny. She was definitely ready to be let out of her cage. Seeing her ma walk into the room, Katie held out her little arms and squealed, "Mama, up, now, pease."

"Yes, Katie, I know you want out, don't you?", Michaela said as she leaned over and picked Katie up out of her crib. "Why don't we go downstairs and you can help me start breakfast. After that you can help me pack a picnic basket for your pa so he can take Brian and Josh fishing."

"Fish!", Katie screeched, "Eeckk!"

Michaela laughed. Katie had helped her clean the fish Brian had caught last week and she definitely had not liked it. "Yes, Katie, cleaning fish is 'ecky' but you like to eat the fish, don't you."

"Fish ecky," was Katie's reply, as she wiped her hands on her little nightdress. She had no idea that the fish she liked to eat were the same ones they had cleaned and were so 'ecky'.

Michaela had breakfast ready and the picnic basket packed before Sully or Brian came downstairs. She was putting breakfast on the table when Brian and Sully walked down the steps. Katie ran over to her pa and put her little arms around his leg. Sully leaned over and lifted her high up into the air, causing Katie to giggle. "Good mornin' Kates, how ya doing today," asked Sully as he placed a wet kiss on her cheek, causing Katie to wipe it off with the back of her hand. He then walked over to Michaela and placed a quick kiss on her cheek before setting Katie in her highchair.

Brian was excited about going fishing and so he was quick to eat his breakfast. Katie, on the other hand, was never quick to eat anything. She liked to play with her food more than anything and occasionally would manage to get a piece into her mouth. Michaela was preoccupied with Katie and didn't notice that Sully was unusually quiet this morning, pushing the food around on his plate, but not really eating it. It was not until everyone was done eating and Michaela was clearing the table that she noticed that Sully had not touched his food. She turned to look for him but he had already gone out to the barn to get the wagon ready for their trip into town. She made a mental note to ask Sully if he was feeling all right.

On the ride into town Sully remained silent, deep in thought. But Brian and Katie were so excited about going fishing that their chatter flowed continuously. Michaela was excited also because Colleen would be coming home today. It had been almost four months since Colleen's last visit and she couldn't wait to have her home and talk about her schooling. "Ma, what time does Colleen's train arrive?" Brian asked, suddenly remembering himself that Colleen would be home today.

Turning to Brian in the back of the wagon she said, "It arrives at one o'clock. I know Colleen will be excited to see everyone again. I can't wait to see her. I miss her," Michaela spoke softly.

"We all miss her ma," smiled Brian as he patted Michaela's shoulder.

She looked up at Brian and gave him a smile, "Yes, we do, but she'll be here soon and we'll all have a lovely visit." Turning to Sully she asked, "Sully, you'll make sure you're home before one, won't you?" But Sully didn't hear her, he was so deep in thought. "Sully... Sully, did you hear me?" asked Michaela as she placed her hand on his arm.

Startled, Sully quickly replied, "Uh, oh, I'm sorry, Michaela, I didn't hear what you said. What was that?"

Looking at Sully puzzled Michaela spoke, "I said you'll make sure you're home before one, to meet Colleen's train, right?"

"Oh, yes, right, we'll be home before then, I promise," answered Sully.

Tightening her grip on Sully's arm, she turned to him and asked, "Is everything all right Sully, you seem awfully quiet this morning, and you barely touched your breakfast. You feeling well?"

Turning his head towards Michaela he forced a smile. "Yes, of course, I'm all right. Maybe a little tired is all," he lied, averting her eyes and looking straight ahead. Michaela could sense that something was troubling Sully, but she knew not to push, to give him his space. She knew that when he was ready to talk he would come to her, so she dropped the subject.

Sully stopped the wagon outside the clinic. He jumped down and walked to the other side to give Michaela his hand. They would drop Michaela off and then the three of them would head to the boarding house to pick up Josh and his ma. Katie was tired of sitting and wanted to get out of the wagon now. Brian tried to stop her, telling her they were going fishing real soon, but Katie wanted down, now. As soon as Katie saw her ma walk around to the back of the wagon, Katie tried to jump down. Before Brian could grab her hand she had one little leg over the side and the other leg followed, but she was too small to touch the ground and fell with a thud.

Katie began screaming as Michaela ran over to her and picked her up. Sully ran over as well and the two of them began examining her to see where she was hurt. Katie couldn't stop screaming enough to tell them where it hurt. Michaela noticed that her leg was scraped all the way up her shin. It wasn't a deep cut, but there was blood and that made Katie scream all the more. Michaela carried Katie into the clinic, Sully and Brian close behind. Once they had Katie seated on the examining table and Brian had given her a piece of candy from his pocket, her cries began to lessen.

"She's not hurt bad," Michaela said, "just a scrape. I'll clean it so it doesn't become infected and then we'll bandage it." She bent down and gave Katie a kiss while rubbing her back with one hand, trying to soothe her. "Sully, will you hold her while I clean the wound. It will hurt." Michaela remarked. Then turning to Katie she looked into her wet eyes and said, "Mama's gonna clean this now. It will only hurt a minute." As soon as she said that Katie's cries turned to screaming. As Michaela began cleaning the wound, she tried to block out the screams of her weeping daughter. Sully looked up at her and noticed the tears in her eyes as well. He looked at her and smiled slightly, and then turned his attention to his daughter.

After Katie was all bandaged up, Sully lifted her from the table and gave her a kiss. "Are we ready to go fishing now, Kates?" asked Sully.

Between her hiccups she reached out for her mama and Michaela took her into her arms, hugging her tightly. "No, I stay with mama. Boo boo hurts," Katie sniffled.

Michaela looked at Sully and shrugged her shoulders. "That's okay, Sully. Katie can stay with me today. You and Brian go on and have your picnic. We'll see you later."

"Are you sure, Michaela?" asked Sully as he reached out towards Katie and brushed her cheek with his thumb. "Katie will be fine in a moment. She can go with me so you won't have to watch her today."

Between sniffles Katie cried, "No, stay with mama. No fishin'." She clasped her arms tighter around Michaela's neck, wiping her nose on Michaela's shoulder.

"Really, Sully, it's all right. Katie can stay with me today. She can help me clean my instruments. Right Katie?", Michaela stated.

Shaking her head, Katie replied, "Yeah, cwean struments, I help mama cwean."

"All right," Sully replied as he leaned over to kiss Katie good-bye. "We won't be gone too long. I told Josh we would go somewhere special to fish today. I thought I might take them up to the hotsprings." Sully put his arm around Michaela's waist and drew her towards him for a kiss. Holding Katie on her hip, Michaela leaned in close to Sully and with a twinkle in her eye she whispered in his ear, "That's fine, but just don't take her to our special place."

Startled by Michaela's reply, Sully pulled back slightly and with a hint of sarcasm in his voice he asked "What's that suppose to mean?".

Michaela studied his face for a moment, wondering what was going on with Sully. "It was a joke Sully," Michaela softly replied and then looking into his eyes she asked, "Are you sure everything's all right?"

Sully attempted a weak smile and as he looked into her eyes pleading for understanding, he said, "Oh, sorry. Didn't mean to snap at you like that. I'm fine, really. We'll talk tonight, okay."

Of course, Sully. I love you," Michaela spoke softly as she kissed his lips gently.

Sully returned the kiss and before turning to leave he whispered, "I love you too."

Before Sully could turn to leave Katie grabbed his arm and sniffling said, "Kiss boo-boo, pa. Make it all better, pease." Sully couldn't help but smile at his little girl and leaned over and kissed her bandage.

Looking up with a smile on his face he said, "We better have mama kiss it too. Her kisses always make me feel better." Michaela returned his smile and then she too bent down and kissed her daughter's boo-boo.

Waving good-bye to Katie and lightly touching Michaela's arm, he turned to Brian and asked, "Ready?"

Michaela stood with Katie on the steps a few moments longer, waving good-bye to Sully and Brian as she watched them ride towards the boarding house. She then turned and walked inside, ready to check in on Mr. Anderson.

A Dark Secret continued ....