PART III

While what she had told Brian that night about advances in travel were true, travelling by rail was still a tiring, dirty ordeal. As the train pulled in to New Orleans, she tried to primp and repair the damage done by the long ride. In Colorado Springs noone would have noticed, but this was New Orleans. She wanted to look her best.

The platform was bustling with activity. People of all sizes, shapes and colors were coming and going. She heard accents she didn’t recognize and languages she didn’t understand. There were urbane gentlemen in fancy suits accompanying beautiful ladies in gorgeous dresses contrasted by sweating workers dressed in rags loading and unloading suitcases and trunks. In the heat and humidity of New Orleans, it was all a bit overwhelming.

After gathering her bags, she sent them on to the hotel and got a cab for herself. During the ride she gawked like a school girl. New Orleans was one southern city that had physcially not suffered much during the war, although the ladies still spoke of “Beast Butler” in lowered voices. The old world warmth and charm of New Orleans was quite a contrast to the rather stern federalist look of Boston or the ‘rustic charm’ of Colorodo Springs. A contrast she was enjoying.

Her hotel was a beautiful building. The lobby was of white marble with giant columns that looked like big twisted candy canes stretching to the vaulted ceiling. There were oriental rugs and luxurous overstuffed furniture with beautiful people lounging in it. Bellboys scurried around delivering messages or carrying parcels. She made her way to the registration desk and checked in.

While waiting for a bellboy to show her to her room, she noticed a particularly handsome man speaking with a group of older gentlemen. She assumed they were physicians although she could not hear what they were saying. The man who was speaking was tall and had a regal bearing about him. His suit was of the latest cut and color and fit impecably. He was immaculately groomed. He was obviously a man of considerable wealth. She was so busy staring at him across the room that the bellboy next to her had to say, “Ma’am?” three times before she even noticed he was there. He led her off toward a grand staircase. At one point on a landing, it curved about and Michaela got a panoramic view of the lobby area. There was no other word for it, it was gorgeous! The room was breathtaking and the people were beautiful. She could hardly take it all in. And in the center of it all, stood the gentleman she found so fascinating. She paused again to look at him until the bellboy, who had continued on and when finding her missing doubled back to her side said, “This way, Ma’am”. She looked at him, smiled and followed him the rest of the way to her room.

It was in actuality a suite of rooms. She had a sitting room, a dressing room, a bed chamber and the ultimate luxury, her own bath! The suite was larger than the entire first floor of her house! The bed room had a huge bed with an exquisite lace canopy, a writing table and chair, a lounge chair, a chaise, a side table and a night stand. In the sitting room was a settee grouping with a coffee table and several chairs around a game table. There were lace scarves on all the tables and the walls had tasteful artwork and something new she had not seen before, gas lights. On the coffee table was a huge basket with a note from her mother telling her to enjoy her stay. In the basket was fruit, scented soaps, bath oils, shampoos and flowers.

But the bathroom, there was the piece de la resistance! It was all marble and beautiful tile, was immaculately clean and was pervaded by the scent of the roses that were in a vase on the sink. The bathroom was bigger than Brian’s room back home. What had all this cost her mother? She made a mental note to speak with her about this extravagance, but she also smiled as she ran her hand over the cool clean tile. She shook her head slowly and decided she was going to enjoy this very much.

She spent the afternoon unpacking and getting organized for the conference’s opening session that evening. She had the maid draw her a bath and spent a full hour luxuriating in the steamy warmth using the scented bath oils and shampoo from her mother’s gift. The bath towels were soft and rich and gently wicked away the moisture, unlike the coarser ones she was use to. When she was dry, she ran her hand over her skin. It was smooth, soft and smelled lightly of roses and lilacs. She wished Sully was here to appreciate it. She knew how it would effect him and then how he would, in turn, effect her. But he was thousands of miles away. She sighed at the memories of their pleasure that seemed to grow dimmer by the day.

But, remembering her resolve to relax and enjoy herself, she picked up her brush and ran it through her hair. No tangles or knots now. It was soft, silky and responded to her ministrations obediently. She decided to wear her hair up tonight, something elegant and different. When she was satisfied with that, she carefully selected her dress. She wanted to look professional so that she was taken seriously, but there was no harm in looking her best as well. She made her choice and after some last minute preparations she was ready. Picking up a small clutch bag with a few essentials in it, she left the room and made her way to the opening session reception in the main ball room.

She noticed immediately that she must have been the only single woman in the entire room. Well, she didn’t really know about single, but certainly the only unescorted woman. There were about 200 men and about 150 women. The men ranged from young twenties to some well up in their years. There were several with canes and even one in a wheel chair. She noticed more than one ear trumpet held up to an aged ear to aid in catching the conversation over the background din. The men wore evening dress and the amount of decolletage on the women reminded Michaela of the mountains and valleys at home. She smiled to herself as she thought of the contrast between them and Hank’s girls back in Colorado Springs. Same display for a very similar purpose, she decided. Male attention. And it was obvious from the reactions of the men that it was working.

As she walked through the room she caught bits of conversations. Some were medical and some, especially between the younger men and women, were decidedly not so. As she approached a large table set with hors d’oeuvre, a waiter asked her if she would like some champagne. Thanking him, she took a sip and turned to survey the room again. As she did, she almost collided with a gentleman in an exquisite silk suit. She gasped at the thought of her damaging that beautiful suit with her first glass of champagne and making a scene, but the man in the suit adroitly avoided her arm and the glass as champagne sloshed onto the rug.

“Perdoneme, por favor, senora.” he said in a resonant voice. “Please excuse my clumsiness in approaching unseen.”

It was him. The man from the lobby. She found herself staring into his deep brown eyes. His complexion reflected his Hispanic ancestry as did his mustache and dark wavy head of hair. His full lips were parted showing a smile with teeth that were as white as the snow on the mountains back home. He actually took her breath away.

“No, no. I wasn’t watching what I was doing. It was my fault.” she replied lamely.

“Not at all. Such a beautiful lady could never be at fault for such a thing.” he smiled again.

“I’m afraid that this lady is very capable of being clumsy, but thank you for the compliment anyway.” she said as she began to compose herself.

“At least allow me to refill your glass.” his hands were at his side and he made a slight bow from the waist.

“Well, I suppose. Thank you.” she said and held out her glass.

When he took it from her, her hand touched his. It was warm and surprisingly soft. Much softer than the rough touch she had grown accustom to. He had the glass refilled and presented it back to her. When she took it, he again bowed from the waist when she said, “Thank you.”

“ De nada, senora. Perhaps we will meet again at one of the social functions.” he said pleasantly.

Seeing her chance to establish her professional self she said, “ Oh, I’m here for more than the social functions. I’m a physician in Colorado Springs, Colorado.”

Raising his eyebrows as he chocked his head to one side he said, “Really. It is not often that one meets a woman doctor in the United States.”

“My father was a physician and I wanted to follow in his footsteps.”

He nodded in agreement. “In my country being a physician is a family profession as well. It is understandable that you would wish to honor your father and family by carrying on such a fine tradition. But your husband, is he understanding of the demands of our profession?”

Wondering how he knew she was married, she took a sip of champagne and when she raised her hand with the glass, she noticed her own wedding ring. Apparently, so had he. “Yes, he is very good about it. As a matter of fact his own work makes similar demands on him.”

“And in what line of endeavor is he involved?” His English was good, but spoken with a slight Spanish accent that was enchanting. “Oh, but forgive me. I am being unbelievably forward and rude. I have not even introduced myself. I am Alessandro Reynaldo Madira-Fuego from Spain.”

“I am very pleased to meet you, Mr. Fuego. I am Michaela Quinn, originally from Boston but now living in Colorado Springs.” Why had she said Quinn, she wondered to herself?

“Boston, Mrs. Quinn? Ah, I thought I heard an eastern accent. Of course, my own English is ‘perfecto’, so I am entitled to make such judgements.” He laughed as he spoke these words with his accent. It was obvious that he had a very clear picture of what and who he was.

“On the contrary, Mr. Fuego, your English is excellent.” She thought a second and then added, “And it’s Mrs. Sully, not Quinn.”

“Forgive me. I am not familiar with all of your country’s customs and am confused.” he said. “Which is your husband’s name?”

“Sully. His name is Byron Sully.” He replied to this new information with a blank stare. He was obviously confused. “Let me explain. When I first moved to Colorado Springs I was not married and everyone got to know me as Dr. Quinn and they still call me that. I suppose it will take a while for all of us to get use to the change.” She smiled into his eyes.

“Yes, marriage is a large adjustment, but I cannot imagine that making such an adjustment for the sake of a woman like yourself would be such a burden.” he smiled as he cocked his head slightly to the side again.

Michaela’s face felt flushed and it couldn’t be the champagne yet. He was doing this on purpose, she thought. It had been a long time since she had gotten such attention and she was not use to it. Not use to it yet enjoying it.

“Senor Fuego....” she started.

“Por favor. Please, my name is Alessandro.” he interrupted. “Colleagues should be able to address each other as friends”

“Yes, alright,” she hesitated a second before being able to say, “Alessandro, I am beginning to think that you are flattering me beyond reason.”

“To respond to such beauty and charm is not flattery beyond reason, merely statement of fact.” It was as if he could see into her soul with those brown eyes.

“Mr. Fuego. Please remember that I am a married woman.” she stated without too much conviction.

“My dear Ms. Sully, how could I ever forget such a loss? But I am being rude to my companions. I fear they will think me lost. It has been my pleasure to make your acquaintance, however briefly. Until we meet again..con su permiso.” He stood straight and then bowed slightly from the waist and backed away into the crowd.

At the same time Michaela was relieved and sorry he was gone. Sorry because he was obviously charming, cultured, educated, handsome and she hadn’t heard that kind of talk directed at her for a very long time. Relieved because she was not sure of the feelings that he was arousing in her. Feelings that were dangerous, yet, after so long, very tempting. She had almost forgotten what that felt like. She was lost in thought and had her brows knitted together when she heard.....

“Michaela! Michaela! You made it. How delightful to see you! Your mother was sure you would stay home. She said you would think this too much of an extravagance and that you wouldn’t come. But here you are!” said Dr. Abercrombie P. Woolruff. Here was the reason she had come in the first place.

“Dr. Woolruff, how wonderful to see you again!” she exclaimed.

“Dr. Woolruff?? Since when am I Dr. Woolruff to you? I was always Dr. Abby to your family and I still am even back in stuffy ol’ Boston.” It gave Michaela a warm feeling in her heart to see Dr. Abby again. He was, of course, older now. Well into his sixties and his hair, what was left of it, was snow white. She remembered him as much taller, but now she could look directly into his eyes. Pince-nez glasses sat on the end of his slightly reddened nose, indicating he had had more than a few glasses of champagne. When she looked at him, memories of her father drifted through her mind and it was suddenly 20 years ago and she was a child in Boston tagging along behind her father and Dr. Abby. She smiled as tears moistened her eyes.

“Of course, Dr. Abby.” With that, she gave him a big hug and he laughed at the sudden change in familiarity.

“That’s more like it, Michaela! But let me look at you. It seems like its been years since I’ve seen you.” He held both her hands at arms length and looker her over with a smile.

“It has, Dr. Abby. I’ve been out in Colorado Springs now for 5 years.” Michaela responded as he looked at her.

“So beautiful! Obviously the western climate agrees with you. You’ve filled out some and there’s good color in your cheeks.”

“Yes, it is a very healthful lifestyle being outdoors so much.”

“And I hear you’ve gotten yourself a husband out there as well?”

“Yes, his name is Byron Sully. He’s a wonderful man.”

“If he landed you, he must be able to walk on water! I remember you turning down half the young men in Boston.” he smiled teasingly.

“Well, I don’t know about that. What I remember is being too busy to even bother with them.”

“Yes, well, you always were a serious little thing. But as I recall, I could always get a smile out of you.” and he wagged his finger in her face as he chuckled.

“You always made me laugh, Dr. Abby, even when I didn’t want to.”

Just then a gong sounded and a hotel staff member in very formal attire came out of a large archway to their right and stated, “Ladies and Gentlemen, dinner will now be served.”

Dr. Abby turned back to her and asked, “Is your husband with you?”.

“No, he couldn’t come.” Michaela hoped he wouldn’t press the matter any further.

“Well, then, you can join us.” Dr. Abby said as he offered her his arm. She took it and as they started to walk in she asked, “Who exactly is ‘us’, Dr. Abby.” asked Michaela.

“Friends and colleagues from Boston. You may even know some of them.” He was nodding and smiling at people as they walked, proud to have her on his arm as they entered the dining room.

The conversation at the table was stimulating, the speaker was entertaining yet very informative, the food delicious and the wine excellent. She noted as she put the last mouthful of succulent desert into her mouth that she would have to be careful or she would be taking more of her back to Colorado Springs than she had brought.

When the meal was over, the men adjourned to a large salon off the dining room for after dinner drinks, smoking and conversation and the women went to another room for “polite” conversation. Michaela decided that she had more in common with the men, so she went that way. She immediately noted that she was the only female in the room. She was not use to this much alcohol, so she avoided the waiter with the tray of glasses filled with brandy and cognac. Before Dr. Abby went off with his friends to smoke a cigar on the veranda, he arranged to meet Michaela after tomorrow morning’s session to have lunch. They had not been able to speak privately and they had much catching up to do. She looked forward to it. From there she drifted in and out of several conversations, some medical, some not. In general she found the male doctors, shall we say, resistant to her presence even if she was a doctor. But she got some enjoyment out of making some of the stuffier shirts uncomfortable and watching their faces turn the same shade of red as their noses.

Slowly, people began to filter out of the room. Some collected their women and headed for the casinos or to the river for a walk in the moonlight. Some were going to bed, but in New Orleans you did not know with whom and you did not ask. Michaela just went up to her room alone.

The french doors were open to the balcony and a slight breeze ruffled the curtains over the doorway. She took off her clothes and put on the silk rob that was there on the bed for her. She walked out on the balcony and looked over the city. There were many people still in the streets and carriages came and went from the hotel entrance. She could hear music in the distance and soft laughter everywhere. In the background she could see the moon glimmering off Lake Pontchartrain. It was a beautiful night. She wrapped her arms around herself and reviewed the day in her mind. She felt so alive. It was all so exciting. Just like in Boston, only warmer and more exotic. She sighed contentedly as she went back in and crawled into bed. There was a smile on her face as she drifted off to sleep. Sleep uninterrupted by crying babies or knocks on her door in the middle of the night demanding the doctor.

The morning session was excellent. The main speaker was from Charleston and was doing research on the circulatory system. Afterwards there was a question and answer session from which Michaela learned as much as she had from the presentation. There was incredible the amount of knowledge she was missing in Colorado Springs. Here were physicians in the forefront of science and she had close access to them. She knew it was temporary, so she did not want to waste any of it.

After the questioning, the audience dissolved into smaller conversation groups. Topics came and went as did the members of the groups. Michaela did not know where to start. So much information and so little time. She spoke little, afraid that others would think her a backwoods sawbones. She just listened and made mental note after mental note.

At noon she finally tore herself away from a group discussing liver dysfunctions to have lunch with Dr. Abby. They had arranged to meet in the hotel’s main dining room. The maitre’d showed her to his table as he was already there.

After getting settled in, he just up and asked, “So, Michaela, are you really happy out there? You were always so serious about keeping current with medicine and now you are so far from all the new knowledge that is coming out. When you first left, I thought it was a reaction to your losing David and then your father’s death. I knew you took these tragedies very hard and that some of your father’s colleagues were less than kind about your taking over his practice and I thought, well, perhaps this trip out west was a bit of an escape.” His get-right-to-the-point manner was mitigated by that Dr. Abby smile she knew so well. At least that had not changed about him.

She spread her napkin in her lap, looked at him and explained, “Yes, Dr. Abby, at first perhaps it was. Everywhere I looked in Boston, places and people reminded me of David.” She left this aspect of the story at that. She didn’t want to go into David’s re-appearance as it really didn’t pertain to why she left Boston and she was having enough trouble at the moment emotionally without bringing that back up. “But I also needed to make my own way as a physician, to have my own practice. My father’s colleagues did not share his and your acceptance of a woman as a doctor, as you know, and after my father’s passing, my mother started on about ‘what are you going to do when you’re old and grey, Michaela, with no one to take care of you’ “ she mimicked her mother’s voice.

“My goodness, Michaela, “ he said as he feigned looking for someone, “for a moment I thought your mother was right here with us!” he said with a chuckle.

She laughed as well, then continued. “But now, now it’s my home. I’ve grown to know and love the people and the country. And then of course there’s my family.”

“Ah yes, your family. I heard about how you inherited all that. Woman hardly knew you, didn’t she? Amazing what people will do.”

“Yes, amazing. But of all the inheritances I have received, they are the greatest.” she smiled.

“I can see by the light in your eyes that that’s true. But what of this husband, Sully you said his name was?”

“Byron Sully. We’ve been married for almost two years now and we have a child of our own.”

“Yes, I heard that as well. Wonderful! Wonderful!”exclaimed Dr. Abby. “A girl, isn’t it?” When Michaela nodded assent he continued” What’s her name?”

“Katie.” said Michaela with a proud smile.

“Katie. A good name. Not fancy, just down to earth goodness in that name. I like it”. He pronounced leaning back and putting his thumbs in his suspenders.

“And what of you, Dr. Abby? What have you been up to? Is Mrs. Abby still so active in her clubs?” Michaela asked.

His expression instantly changed. She could see his jaw muscles flexing and he swallowed several times. He looked down at the table, placed his hands on the edge and sighed. “Oh my goodness, Dr. Abby. Is something wrong? Is Mrs. Abby ill?” she felt so awkward. What a way to blunder into bad news.

He cleared his throat before he said in a low voice, “She passed away three months ago, Michaela. It was her heart. It just gave out. As big as it was, I suppose she had been giving pieces of it away for too long and ran out for herself.” It was a very un-medical diagnosis, but knowing his wife, it was more fitting than some cold Latin phrase.

“I am so sorry, Dr. Abby. I didn’t know.” Michaela reached out and put her hand over his.

“I’m alright, Michaela. It was very hard at first and, I must admit, I get along now either by just not thinking of it or pretending she’ll be there when I get home.” He signed so deeply Michaela was afraid he would break into tears right then and there, but he continued, “There were two parts to my life. One was my work. But fulfilling and challenging as that was, there was a void where my soul should have been. She filled that gap, my dear. She was my soul.”

Michaela could find no words to say. She just sat there quietly and held his hand. She waited for him to compose himself.

“But each day, it’s a little better. I get by. My friends have been wonderful and your mother, God bless her, has been wonderful to me.”

That last part surprised Michaela. Warmth was not a quality for which her mother was known.

“But enough sadness. What about this man of yours. Is he everything you were looking for?” He took his hand out from under hers and placed it on top.

“Yes, he is.” Michaela said.

“Is he there for you when you need him?” he asked.

Michaela took a moment to think about that. Sully was always going somewhere, the reservation, spirit journeys with Cloud Dancing, tribal meetings, checking his traps. She remembered how he had disappeared when Brian jumped from the tree and now he had been gone for weeks while Katie had been sick. In many ways he was a loner. “He wants to and he tries to.” she finally responded and then hesitated.

“I think I hear a ‘but’ in there somewhere” he probed.

This was what she had been trying to avoid last night. It bothered her to think about Sully’s constant absences. She felt he loved her, but she also felt she competed for that love with so many other things.

“His work takes him away a lot.” she lamely responded.

“Work? Ask me about work taking too much time! I wish I had the time I was at that hospital back to spend with my Myrtle.” He leaned forward and spoke in a low, forceful voice. “That’s time I will never have again, Michaela, never! Don’t let yourself be saying that in twenty years. Its too precious to just watch it slip away. Losing time with the one you love is tragic beyond belief.” His voice choked off and he had a tear in his eye.

She just sat there for a while as he looked at her. He was right. There had been too much time apart. That was why she felt so lost. She looked down and sighed.

Dr. Abby noticed that he had hit a sore nerve. “But, I see I’ve managed to bring this conversation to a dreadful point.” he said. “There’s plenty of time in life for sadness. We’re in New Orleans, let’s speak of happy things.”He patted her hand and smiled an encouraging smile.

And with that the conversation turned entirely around. They were both glad to avoid the pain in their lives. The rest of the lunch was enjoyable and happy. They caught up on old friends and patients. Once they got talking, they did not even notice that they had stretched lunch right through the first afternoon session.

“My God, is that the correct time?” he said when he heard the clock chime. “I’m the presenter at the late afternoon session and I wanted to go over my notes beforehand one last time. Michaela, this is all your fault.” he said teasingly wagging his finger at her.

Knowing him as she did, she knew that he had thoroughly prepared in advance and needed no rehearsal. She had heard him go on for hours while on rounds or lecturing. Talking was not one of Dr. Abby’s weak points. They then left the dining room and Dr. Abby took his leave of her. There was still some time until the session actually began, so she went back to her room to ‘freshen up’, then made her way to the auditorium for the late afternoon speakers.

As she sat waiting for the program to start, she mulled over some of what Dr. Abby had said at lunch. For as short a time as they had been married, she and Sully had been apart often and for extended periods of time. While he was there, he was wonderful, but he was gone so much. It was very lonely out there without him. The work of tending to her two families, her own and the one the townspeople had become, added to that of her practice had become exhausting. She remembered how she had felt before she decided to come on this trip. Fatigued. Lonely. Depressed. Lonely. Overworked. And lonely. In some ways Sully was always with her, but in others his memory was a bit fuzzy and unreal. Like a phantom that comes and goes. Dr. Abby had told her that life was slipping away, moment by moment. That’s how we live, she thought, moment by moment, and Sully was gone for so many of those precious moments. The more she thought about it the more confused her feelings became. When she was with him, it was wonderful. He did, indeed, fill a void inside her, But he was gone so often. It seemed that there was always something more important that he had to tend to that took him away. She loved him, but was tiring of the lonely times. Her thoughts went back and forth like this until someone approached to sit in the seat next to her. It was Alessandro. He was with some of his friends and they had come in together. When she looked up, he bowed slightly and smiled that incredible smile and asked softly,

“Is this seat taken?”

Jolted out of her reverie, she gaped a bit at him and then blurted out, “ No, no. Please sit down.”

He nodded assent and indicated for the others to take the remaining seats in the row. After they had settled in, he turned to Michaela and said, “Do you have a particular interest in this topic?”

“Not in specific, although I am always eager to learn new techniques. The speaker is an old friend of the family. I’ve known Dr. Woolruff for, well, more years than a lady is suppose to admit.” she smiled. “And you, is this a topic you are interested in?”

“Like yourself I am interested in all medicine, however my main area of interest is in native medicine. I have spent several years in our colonies studying the natural remedies that the natives use. I have been trying to identify the chemicals that they contain in the hopes of perhaps purifying them and producing them in quantity.”

“Why, that’s an interest of mine as well.” she said excitedly. “ I have spent time with the medicine men of the Cheyenne tribe learning their ways. On several occasions in my practice, they provided me with effective options that I would not otherwise have had.”

“Amazing. That we should come from places so far apart to meet here and find we have so much in common!” Alessandro said.

From that point until Dr. Abby began, their conversation flowed like a torrent unleashed. She hadn’t been able to speak with anyone who considered the Cheyenne’s medicine worth trying since her mother’s illness in Boston and to speak with someone who shared that interest and could add to her knowledge as well was too good to be true. It seemed they were just getting started when the moderator called them to order and introduced Dr. Abby.

As a speaker, there were no surprises from him for Michaela. She knew he would be entertaining. But as a professional, she really was astonished. Dr. Abby had done some very original research and was breaking new ground. As she listened, he was at once the familiar old family friend and at the same time a scientist sharing his knowledge with the world. When he had finished, she joined most enthusiastically in the applause. Alessandro leaned over and through the applause said, “Your friend is a remarkable man. So much knowledge and interesting as well.”

Michaela smiled in assent. After the applause had died down, the question and answer session began and went on for another 45 minutes. At the conclusion, she rose to go up to Dr. Abby and congratulate him, but before she could leave her seat, she felt Alessandro’s hand on her arm.

“Michaela. We were having such a wonderful conversation before the program. I was learning a great deal. I wish to hear more of your experiences with the Cheyenne, but it seems we only meet in passing. Would you consider joining me for dinner to continue our discussion?”

Michaela looked at him, looked at Dr. Abby, looked back at him, looked at the floor, she didn’t know what to do or say. He saw her hesitation and added, “Please, for the sake of science?”and he smiled that smile.

She told herself that she had come to this conference to learn new things and meet new people. That rationale seemed to suffice in this instance so finally she relented, “Yes, I suppose we could. Just to share information, you understand.”

“Madre Dios, of course!” he acted surprised that anything else had entered her mind. “After all, that is the purpose of a conference such as this, is it not? And you have to eat anyway, do you not? Think of it as an efficient way of dealing with two things at the same time.”

“Killing two birds with one stone” she said.

“Que?” he said with a quizzical look.

“Killing two birds with one stone. It’s an idiomatic expression. It means to take care of two problems with one solution.” she explained.

“Ah, yes. How appropriate. Yes, we will kill two birds with one stone. I like that.” He sat back rather self satisfied as he said it. She smiled at him in response.

“Would nine o’clock be satisfactory?” he asked.

“My, that seems late. I suppose I’m not use to fashionable dining anymore.” she admitted. She felt slightly foolish at this. Normally she had dinner ready for her family by no later than six PM. Sometimes she would have to hold some in the warmer for Sully if he was late. When he came home at all, she thought for a fleeting moment before catching herself and feeling guilty.

“Then seven o’clock?” he offered.

“Yes. That will be fine. But it would be better if we did not go.....together. You understand.”she said rather apologetically. “Could I meet you somewhere?”she asked.

“Yes, of course. We wouldn’t want anyone to get the wrong idea. I know of wonderful restaurant not far from the hotel. I will leave instructions with the concierge to call a cab for you and take you there.” He was good at this. Too good perhaps.

PART IV

As Michaela dressed for dinner, she tried to evaluate her feelings. She was excited, that was obvious from the color in her cheeks. But why? This was to be purely a professional dinner where she and Alessandro could exchange information about native American, southern or northern, medicines. If some of the topics of this conference were beyond her experience, with this one at least she felt entirely comfortable. And didn’t Alessandro share her interest? He had not scoffed at her as others had. However she also felt guilty. But if this was a professional dinner, why should she feel guilty? Perhaps she was deluding herself about the professional aspect, she thought. Was that the only reason she was going, professionalism? It might have been the final rationale that let her conscience allow her to go, but it did not seem that it was the real reason. No, she had to go deeper than that.

She thought back to Dr. Abby’s conversation of the day before. Time was slipping away. She was not getting any younger and the time she should have been spending with someone special was being spent alone in a wilderness with the obligations of a family and practice and waiting for that someone special to return from endless trips and visitations. Love him she still did, but she was still a young woman and had needs to be met. She saw her life slipping away like Dr. Abby’s, bit by bit. She did not want to find herself old and still waiting for Sully to return from somewhere. She craved attention. The kind of attention that made her feel like a women, an attractive woman, not just a doctor.. The way Alessandro made her feel. Was that it? Was it that simple? Alessandro was giving her what she needed and Alessandro was here. But she did love Sully, so how could these two sets of feelings exist in her at the same time? As sophisticated as she might have been raised in Boston, she was still an innocent when it came to affairs of the heart.

The mantle clock chimed bringing Michaela out of her reverie. She found herself staring at her image in the mirror. She was still attractive. As she took a deep breath, her breasts push in their fullness against her garments, making her think how she had striven to break out of her confinement in her role as a daughter to become a doctor. But now she found herself in other roles, even more constricting. She was a woman, that was obvious by the reflection looking back at her. That was a role she could not shun and right now, she did not want to. She needed to sort out why she wanted to be with Alessandro tonight, and there was only one way to find out. She quickly finished dressing and went downstairs. The concierge greeted her politely and asked her to wait as he called a cab. After he helped her in, he closed the door and gave instructions to the driver in a language she did not recognize, but was spoken by many of the servants. (Later she learned it was Cajun french).

A short carriage ride through the sultry night brought her to a restaurant by the lake. She was met by a doorman who helped her dismount and showed her in. The maitre’d was cordial and showed her to a table located outside on a veranda. It was under a small tree that was hung with paper lanterns and was somewhat shielded from the other tables by a low stone wall. A soft breeze brought the aroma of honeysuckle and lavender. Alessandro rose as she approached.

“Michaela, you look more beautiful than ever. How shall I keep my mind on our scholarly discussion?”

“Thank you for the flattery.” she replied with a smile that said ‘I know what you’re doing’.

“Ah, you have found me out.” he feigned disappointment.”I had hoped to engage you in a discussion of Argentinian therapeutic tree roots and then catch you unawares and wisk you away.” he chuckled.

“Somehow, I must believe that the average woman would die of boredom of such a conversation before you had the chance to wisk her anywhere.” They were playing with each other.

“But, you are not an average women.” he smiled as he seated her. She did not know what to reply a second time.

“Anyway,” she broke the awkward silence, “this is a beautiful setting.”

“Yes, this is one of my family’s favorite restaurants in New Orleans.” he said looking around.

“Your family is in New Orleans?” she asked somewhat surprised.

“Yes, well...they were. Americans tend to forget that we Spaniards were here somewhat before you. New Orleans was first French, then Spanish and then French again. My family has had ties to land just north of the city for, well, let’s just say a very long time.”

“What did they do during the war?” she queried.

“Oh, no one has lived here since before the war. My family saw the approaching troubles and prudently decided to withdraw to our holdings in Mexico. The estate suffered accordingly by being abandoned during the federal occupation and I have only just been able to recover it. That was one reason why I came to New Orleans. The medical conference was actually secondary. But since I have met you, the importance of the two events has been transposed.”

Clearing her throat and deliberately changing the subject, Michaela said half scolding, “I thought we were going to discuss native American medicines, Alessandro?”

Like a small boy caught where he should not be, Alessandro bowed his head, laughed quietly and said, “Yes, I suppose we did.”

The meal was a delight. The food and wine were superb. Surprisingly their conversation did, indeed, stay in the professional realm. Alessandro had traveled extensively in Mexico and South America and had a broad knowledge of native medicines. They compared anecdotes, identified plants used, spoke of dosages and alternative remedies for when established medicines were not effective. Somewhere during the conversation a string quartet began playing softly in the background. The evening was dream-like. The scents, sights, sounds and conversation became opiates. Michaela’s head reeled with it all. She not only felt like a valued professional, but she felt like a woman, and lately that had been a rare combination in her life. She now knew that this was why she had come tonight and it was wonderful!

Over brandy, their conversation finally turned more personal. He had never married. His education, medical training and subsequent travels had precluded such a commitment. As he spoke of this, Michaela could sense a sadness inside him. He was a man who was ready to settle down with a family, but he had no one to settle down with. His travels had left him knowledgeable, but lonely. It was obvious how important family was to him. His was an old family from northern Spain that had fought with El Cid against the Moors. He was eager to tell her where he came from and of his family. He loved and revered his mother and deeply respected his father. He spoke lovingly of his sisters and brothers. When he spoke of his family, there was a distant look in his eyes, almost as if he could see them standing behind her. Michaela was enthralled.

But then he turned the tables on her and asked of her life and family. Michaela started tentatively, but his obvious genuine interest caused her to reveal more and more. She told him of her early childhood in Boston, her very different relationships with her father and mother, her medical schooling and practice and her father’s death. When she spoke of this, she found old feelings welling up inside her. Alessandro’s love of his family had resonated with her and the hurt she felt at losing her father regained some of its sharpness. She felt her throat closing and a tear well up in her eye. Without saying anything, Alessandro produced a fine linen handkerchief and offered it to her with a kind smile. As she dabbed away the moisture she said,

“It seems so long ago. You would think I should be over it by now.”

“No, never. One never ‘gets over’ such a loss. One only makes accommodations for it so that one can go on with one’s life. The void is never filled, just covered over.” he said softly as he leaned forward.

Michaela smiled back at him. Was there anything this man did not understand? She felt so close to him, yet they had only just met.

Patting the top of her hand that lay on the table, he said, “Let us go for a walk by the lake.”

Michaela thought for a moment. The conversation here had taken an awkward turn and was leading somewhere she was not sure she wanted to go. Yet a walk alone by a moonlit lake didn’t seem like a very good idea either. She hesitated.

“If you are concerned about propriety, I will have a cab follow us as we walk.” he offered.

With that, she gave in. “Alright. I suppose a walk might help clear my head. I suppose it must be the wine and brandy.”

The lake shore was not far from the restaurant. True to his word, Alessandro summoned a cab and instructed the driver to follow them at a discrete distance. As they walked, Michaela could hear the clopping of the horse and the soft creaking of the leather and wood of the cab. A chill was rising from the lake and Michaela pulled her shawl over her shoulders. When they came to a particularly dark section of the walkway, Alessandro offered her his arm and she took it to avoid stumbling. When they came back into the light she did not pull away and they continued to walk arm in arm.

The conversation was strained now. Short sentences about the moon, the lake, the breeze. Small talk about the conference. It was obvious that both were feeling the tension. There was more here than a meeting of two professionals. Both were fighting the feelings, but neither very ardently. In the distance, they heard a church bell chime the hour.

“My goodness, is it that late already?” said Michaela, glad for the interruption. “I must get back to the hotel. I’m meeting Dr. Abby for breakfast in the morning and he is an early riser.”

Without hesitating, he said, “Of course. I understand.” and he turned to wave the cab to approach. As it drove up, he said, “Michaela. I think we both know what has been occurring this evening.” He paused and looked into her eyes. “I want to see you again.”

“Oh, Alessandro, no. I couldn’t.” she protested quietly. “I am a married woman.”

“A lonely, married woman, I think.” he said knowingly. “I have never met anyone like you and our time here is so short. Please say yes.”

She looked into his dark eyes, then at the cab and then back at him. He helped her into the cab, held her hand and said, “Please. Just once more before we go our separate ways”.

She was so confused. Responsibility, devotion, guilt, all these feelings raced through her head. The brandy and warm night air combined to weaken her will. She had tried to resist, but he would not yield. She was not sure if she was strong enough to continue to do so. She did know that she had to find out what all these feelings meant. Without looking at him she said “I will be at the closing luncheon tomorrow at 12:30.”

He said nothing, but smiled and kissed her hand as the driver urged the horse on.

PART V

Michaela awoke when the rising sun crept above her window ledge and pried its way into her eyes. It took her a while to realize what was happening and where she was. When she did open her eyes they wouldn’t focus at first. She sat up and leaned back, braced on her arms. That was a mistake. Sitting up, that is. Her head throbbed at the exertion. Now she remembered. Wine and champagne for dinner, brandy afterwards. No wonder she felt as she did. She flopped back down, closed her eyes and put her arm over her face to shade out the sun. But she had to get up. She had to meet Dr. Abby and he was never late. Her morning routine and dressing took longer that usual, but the more she moved about the better she felt. Finally she was ready and went down to the dining room where, sure enough, Dr. Abby was already waiting.

“Good morning Michaela!” he greeted her somewhat loudly, or at least it seemed that way. He noticed her wince slightly. “It is a good morning, isn’t it? he asked.

“Yes, it is, I think. Good morning Dr. Abby. I’m afraid I’m just not all here yet. My head seems to be a bit out of sorts this morning.” she apologized.

“Ah! Out a bit late last night, were you?” he asked kiddingly.

“Not really late, but I’m afraid I’m not use to all the alcohol that is consumed at these type affairs.” she said as she rubbed her temple with her left hand.

He laughed softly as he took her other hand between his. “Don’t worry. I have it on good authority that the effect is purely temporary. As a physician I prescribe a good breakfast. Not too heavy, but you need nourishment.”

“You sound like you’re speaking from experience, Dr. Abby.” replied Michaela wryly.

“Well, at least not recent experience. I overdid it a few times myself as a youth.” He looked down and then at her over the tops of his glasses. “Well, perhaps more than a few. Anyway, the point is you need to eat so lets sit down.”

It was true. Slowly, as she ate, Michaela did feel better. The coffee certainly helped, that was for sure. Their initial conversation revolved around the conference and what Michaela thought about his presentation. After Michaela had sufficiently gushed about it, Dr. Abby asked, “ But where did you go afterwards? I was going to ask you to dine with my group, but you disappeared.”

“I had dinner with a colleague.” she said under her breath.

“Oh?” he replied with raised eyebrows. “I wasn’t aware you knew anyone else here.”

“I don’t. Or rather, I didn’t. I met a physician who shares my interest in native medicines. We had only been able to speak briefly in passing and we wanted to compare notes more thoroughly.”

“Ah, I see.” he said.”Of course. A professional meeting. Was he a ‘young’ colleague?”

“Dr. Abby, what are you implying?” she said defensively.

“Nothing, my dear. I’m implying nothing. But in case what I am not implying is the case, who was the gentleman?” he asked.

“Dr. Alessandro Reynaldo Medira-Fuego.” she answered.

“That’s quite a lot of name for a young man. Spaniard, is he?”

“Yes. He has traveled extensively in the Spanish colonies studying native medicines. I learned so much from him in such a short while.” she sounded a little too enthusiastic.

“Yes, I imagine you did.” he replied flatly.

“Nothing happened, Dr. Abby.” she protested. “It was all very professional.” She was a bad liar. He could see right through her.

“Of course, of course. If you say so.” and he smiled knowingly.

From that point she changed the conversation back to the conference, but through the rest of breakfast, she felt as if he was looking into her soul. She felt he knew how she felt and how confusing it all was. Finally she said, “Dr. Abby, I wasn’t being quite totally honest with you before.”

“I know.” and he dabbed his mouth with his napkin. “You forget, Michaela, I’ve known you since you fibbed about spilt milk in your parents’ kitchen. I think I know when you’re trying to pull the wool over my eyes, but I’m not sure who you’re being untruthful with, me or yourself.” he replied as he placed his napkin back in his lap.

He always did know. No sense telling him anything but the truth.

“I’m afraid my husband and I have not been together enough recently. It seems we are growing in different directions.” she confessed.

“Does he feel this way as well?” he asked earnestly.

“I don’t know what he thinks lately, he’s been gone so much. It seems I’m always alone when things happen and I have to take care of it all myself.”

“This sounds familiar, doesn’t it?” he sat back as he spoke.

“Familiar? How?” she asked.

“Your mother and your father went thought this same type of thing.” he explained. “True, he never left Boston, but hours at the hospital or at his practice took him away just as sure as a journey to the orient would have. And your mother, strong as she is now, was nowhere near as self reliant then as you are now, Michaela.”

Michaela had always known that her parents weren’t exactly two love birds, but she had no idea that this was the cause.

“Yes, when your father first started out, he threw himself into his practice with all his energy. There wasn’t much time left for a family. Your mother endured it as long as she could, but eventually there was a falling out. I don’t know all the details, as you know your father was not the most open of men. But I could tell there was a change. Especially in your mother. It was like she had decided that since this was the way it was to be she had to deal with it on her own and she did in her own way.”

“How was that?” Michaela asked genuinely puzzled.

“She became emotionally detached from your father. They were a family, but it was more for forms sake than from love. She just got tired of competing with his practice. When you became so enthralled with medicine, your mother feared she would lose you as well, but given her experience with your father, rather than risk the emotional defeat again, she decided not to fight at all.” he went on.

“So that’s why she was so against my studying medicine.” Michaela said.

“Well, that was a part of it. Remember, you women doctors are mighty thin on the ground as yet, so that was part of it too. But a bigger part was she didn’t want you to go through what she was going through. She wanted you to have what she called a ‘normal’ life, but you were too headstrong and devoted to your father to change. You wouldn’t hear of it.”

This was explaining so much. For years she had been making so many false assumptions about her mother, about how she always found fault. It was all wrong.

“And now, Michaela, despite all her efforts, it looks like you are in the same place your mother was with your father.”

“But, I didn’t mean for it to be this way. It just happened. With all the things that have happened to me in the past few years, it was impossible to foresee how they would all effect my life. How do you control such things?” she said.

He leaned forward and looked deep into her eyes. “Well, Michaela, that’s up to you. As I see it, we all decide what’s important to us for ourselves. If you don’t make that decision, then someone or something else will make it for you, and they may not make a decision that you agree with. So, you need to decide what is important to you and then do something about it. It’s your life. You decide how to lead it, no one else, and don’t let anyone tell you anything different!” with that he wagged his finger in her face.

Michaela had no response. Her mind was awash with all she had just been told. She was more confused than ever. It wasn’t bad enough that she was confused about her life at the present, now she finds out she’d been wrong about just about all of it. She sighed deeply and a sob caught in her throat.

“Now Michaela,” he said, “this is a time for clear analytical thought. You’ve got to sort out what, or who, is important in your life. And if I know you, you’ll make the right choices. It may not be too easy or happen all at once, but you’ll get it right. Like that time your mother was trying to make a cook out of you. I can’t tell you how many fallen, lopsided, gooey, leaden cakes you made before you got it right. But you kept trying until you did. You didn’t like it, but you kept at it.” Then he chuckled. “God, I can still taste that one damnable creation you came up with. Tasted like a cross between tar and chewing on a rusty nail and tough as old leather!” he mocked a shudder at the thought and Michaela laughed. He always could make her laugh at just the right time.

She took a deep breath and said with some decision, “It seems I have a lot of thinking to do.”

“Yes, you do and don’t let any chances slip away while you do it. Remember, your life is going by even as we speak, so decide and then act!” he pressed the tip of his index finger into the table in front of her in emphasis. Then he smiled. “Now, lets get to that morning session. We’ve paid a lot of money for these things. You’ve already caused me to miss one yesterday. I won’t let you do it again, you naughty thing!”

From there they went to the morning session, although Michaela didn’t hear much of it. She couldn’t for the sound of the gears turning in her head as she thought, and thought and thought.

PART VI

When the session was over, there was a brief break before the closing luncheon. Michaela slipped away from Dr. Abby and tried to appear as if she was not looking for Alessandro. As some time went by and she couldn’t find him, she got a little nervous. ‘It would be so neat that way.’ she thought. ‘I could just pack up and leave and never see him again.’ But she did want to see him. She needed to see him. Maybe she didn’t want to get on that train to Colorodo Springs. Her thoughts were swirling through her mind when he came up beside her and touched her arm.

“Michaela, forgive me for being so late. I could not get away from my party without seeming too eager. I did not want to attract any undo attention to us.” He was serious and speaking softly as a conspirator would.

“Alessandro, I am so glad to see you.” she gushed nervously.

He stared at her for a second, not sure how to reply. Then he said, “You cannot imagine how happy it makes me to hear you say that. I was afraid you would tell me to go away, and I could not bear that.”

At that she held her index finger up to her lips. “SSSSSH!” she hushed him softly. “I do wish to speak with you, but it cannot be here. We need to speak privately, and soon!”

He looked dumbfounded. “Of course.” he finally said. “I understand. Perhaps this afternoon at 3 at our restaurant?”

“Yes that will be fine. I will see you there. But we must wait until then, not here.”

He nodded assent. bowed slightly and was gone. Michaela felt flushed and tingly. She would see him at three, but she did not yet know for what reason. Her mind was going a mile a minute and as she stared across the crowded room she did not see anyone or anything. She didn’t even notice that Dr. Abby had been watching the whole time.

The luncheon ran until 2:30. She thought it would never end. All she could think about was Alessandro and what she was to say to him. She hurriedly got ready and went to the concierge to get a cab. When she arrived at the restaurant, it was closed, but Alessandro was waiting under the marquee. He helped her down and indicated that they should walk toward where they had been last night. Again, the cab followed behind. For a while, neither said anything. Then Michaela tried to break the silence, but he cut her off.

“Please, Michaela, before you say anything, I must speak. I know that you are a married woman and that I should be whipped like a dog for everything I am about to say, but I must say it or I will forever regret letting the moment pass. Michaela, I have all the money I could desire and I have traveled around the world and seen many things. But,... I have never seen or met anyone like you. Until we met, I was happy with my life. But after spending only this short amount of time with you I have come to realize how empty my life really is.” He stopped and turned to face her. He looked into her eyes. “Michaela, I have seen it in your eyes. You feel as I do. There is something missing from your life. Please, allow me to be that something.”

She could not believe what she was hearing. It was as if she had written the words for him. It was what she had wanted him to say, but yet it was the thing she was most afraid he would say. She responded “Alessandro. I don’t know what to say. Your words are very flattering, but I am still married.”

“I realize that and I am a cad to say these things, but I cannot help myself. Please, Michaela, at least give me a chance to persuade you. Come with me to my family’s estate for the weekend. We can be alone to talk and think out of the sight of others.” he was pleading.

“Alessandro. I can’t say yes to that.”

“Then at least do not say no. Not yet. I know I have taken you somewhat by surprise. Please think about it.”

“My train for home leaves at 7:00 PM. That’s not much time to think.” she said.

“It will have to do. I will meet you at the station. If you decide in my favor, I will have my coach ready to take us to my home. If not, I will wish you vayos con dios and you will never hear from me again.”

Michaela tried to do as Dr. Abby had suggested. Use calm analytical thought. But her emotions kept getting in the way. She knew the right thing to do was say no and end this right here and now, but her emotions kept telling her that there was more to this. She had been quiet for some time thinking. The situation was getting very awkward. She needed to say or do something, so to buy more time she nodded her assent to Alessandro’s request. At that he exhaled a breath he had been holding for quite some time, smiled and helped her back into the cab. He kissed her hand and the cab was off.

Back in her room she packed and got ready to leave, but as yet she did not know for where. She was finished well ahead of time and she sat amongst the baggage lost in her thoughts. How could she be considering going off with Alessandro? How had her life come to this? She had been raised ‘respectably’ and was always cautioned to avoid scandal. She had not had time in her earlier life for any relationships outside her family, so she had very little experience to draw upon. And her one experience with David had led to heartbreak. When she had met Sully, at first it had been very rocky indeed, but slowly they had grown together. She had seen what was in him and had come to love it. However, the old saying that ‘Absence makes the heart grow fonder’ is not quite right. Absence can also make the heart forget or at least yearn for more. She had grown tired of her life alone. As wonderful as Sully may be, she just could not love all her life from afar. She needed him with her. But as things had been recently, each time he returned it took longer and longer to get re-acquainted as their lives drifted further apart because they were not sharing the same experiences, not living in the same world. That was why Alessandro was tempting. He was from the cultured, educated world she knew so well. He worked in the same world. The potential for sharing was there. The potential for a life was there.

The clock chimed 5:00 o’clock. She shook her head as if to clear out all the confusion. It was time to go. She had her bags taken to the station and checked out. As she was waiting in the lobby for her cab, Dr. Abby came up to her.

“I see you’re all ready to go.” He said.

“Yes. Dr. Abby, and thank you. You cannot understand how much it has meant to me to see you again. You’ve been such a help to me.”

“Help? What help? All we did was talk.” he protested.

“That’s just it. That’s what I needed. I needed to talk with someone who really knew me, to help me in sorting it all out. Thank you.” and she hugged him with tears in her eyes.

“Now, now. What’s all this? Its been wonderful to be with you again for however long or short a time it might have been so let’s not spoil it with tears.” He paused and smiled. “I know what Mrs. Abby would say right now. She’d say, ‘Michaela, stop being so foolish with that old man.’”

He was right. That was what she would say. They all knew her so well, if only she knew herself as well. Her cab arrived and it was time to go. She said her last goodbyes to the dear old family friend and then climbed in the cab. As it pulled away, she looked back to wave goodbye one last time and when she did she could swear she saw Mrs. Abby standing next to him waving. But it was just another woman hailing a cab. Or was it? Even now that she was gone, Mrs. Abby would always be next to him, always a part of him. That kind of commitment lasted through the years and even beyond the grave. Michaela thought about that all the way to the station.

The cab pulled up and Michaela got out and she found from what track her train was leaving. Her bags were in a pile on the platform next to the train which had steam gushing out of it in spurts and snorts. There was much confusion as people pressed by to board, well wishers said their goodbyes and porters loaded baggage. She examined the crowd and then saw Alessandro coming down the platform. He waved when he saw her and then broke into a trot. When he got there he took her hands and held them tightly as he said, “Michaela, please, we have so little time. Do not make me wait any longer. What is your answer?”

Michaela looked down at the platform, sighed and then looked up at him. She spoke slowly, saying, “Alessandro, I have never met anyone like you. I never thought anyone could test my love for my husband the way you have and I have never been so tempted.” She was struggling for words, but continued, “This has all been very difficult for me. I have had to examine my whole life and the people in it. Fortunately I had at hand a dear old family friend who helped me sort out my feelings. Through speaking with him I learned that there is more to a relationship than appears at the moment. Relationships don’t exist in the moment. They are ongoing, living things with a past and a future. The present is only the culmination of the past and a bridge to the future. People don’t “live” in the present, they pass through it. They are constantly moving from past to future. Sometimes, due to life’s constant trials, to make it bearable some people choose to live in a past they think was better, but in doing so their lives are over because they stop growing and have no future. Others choose to live for a future they hope will be better, but no one “lives” in the present. Alessandro, we are a thing of the present. We have no past and what kind of future would we have? I am not of your culture and you are not of mine and instead of one of us being a doctor with all the demands that entails, we would both be doctors and we would have little time for each other. Perhaps most importantly, I already have a past, a past I cherish and that promises even better things for my future. I have pledged my life to the people in that past and will continue to do so.” She paused and took a deep breath. “Alessandro, my place is in Colorado Springs. I have a life there, a past and, God willing, a future. I can’t turn my back on that. There are people waiting for me to come home and I must be there for them....” and here she paused, “...and for myself.”

He stood for a moment in silence, then he said softly, “In my heart, Michaela, I knew that would be your answer. It is my misfortune to be the right man with the right woman at the wrong time. I suppose I knew all along that you could not leave your life to join me in mine. You are not the kind of women who takes responsibilities lightly.” He looked deeply into her eyes, “But, Michaela, God only gives us so many opportunities for happiness. I could not let this one slip away without trying.” He then took her hands in his and said, “You will never see me again, so please, permit me one last liberty.....” then he took her in his arms, kissed her with all the love he wanted to bestow upon her but knew he never could and was gone.

***

As the train rolled north, Michaela settled into her seat. Ahead was her family, her man and their future together. In the past now was Alessandro, but he would always be part of her life. If she ever needed it, his memory could be the affirmation that she was a desirable woman or a valued professional. In times of loneliness he could even be her fantasy. But that was all he would ever be, a memory and a fantasy, and you can’t live your life based on a fantasy. On the other hand, Sully was very real. No matter their recent past, their future would not be like her mother’s and father’s. She would see to that.

As she continued to think of Colorado Springs, she found herself wanting to be home more and more. Her thoughts dwelled on Sully. He could be home by now, waiting for her. It had been a long time and they had much catching up to do. Time alone to do so would be wonderful.

Perhaps the children could stay in town for a few days more.

The End