For personal use and select distribution only © 1998 by Rebecca Burkhart

Rescue and Redemption
(continued)

by Rebecca Burkhart

The fire had died down to glowing red embers and the last of the soup was long since eaten as the moon rose high over the tree tops, splashing silver on the ground below. Sully sat by the dying fire, his knees drawn up to his chin, and pondered what was in store for him.

Roberta had left on her borrowed horse, just after sunset, despite his protests that she should wait until morning. She was stubborn, like Michaela and, like her, once she got her mind set on something, she would not be deterred. She had visions of Indians and soldiers and bounty hunters overrunning the woods, and she wanted to get him 'safe' in Matthew's hands before that happened. She was also worried that someone might come looking for her if she didn't get back to town. He asked the spirits to keep her safe on her journey.

He was so weakened from fever, infection and blood loss that it had been almost a relief to give in to her pleas to give himself up. He still didn't see how it would solve anything. He would be found guilty and most likely hanged. There was a long list of prior offenses on his part, one of them a felony and he could not hope for leniency from the judge. No matter what happened, his family had suffered pain and was likely to suffer more because of him. Did it matter if he died out here or was executed? He knew Michaela would move heaven and earth to keep either from happening. He wondered how it would be when they met again. Roberta had said she'd try to get back by mid-day tomorrow. Michaela had been upset when they parted - upset at his having to be on the run and upset at the events leading up to that. He hadn't realised how bad things were - that he'd been seen at the reservation and that the renegades had been looting and burning. Right now he just wanted to look at her beautiful face again, to hold her in his arms ...

Then there was Matthew. Matthew had been clearly angry at him. He'd let him go for Cloud Dancing's sake and for that he could lose his job. It was no wonder he was angry. His homestead was burned to the ground, the homestead Sully had given him, that he'd built so long ago for Abigail ... burned by the Indians that he, Sully, had set free. He thought of the old homestead where he and Abigail had been so happy together. He'd abandoned it when she died and hadn't figured he would ever return. Of course, he hadn't figured on Michaela, either, and the bad memories had been replaced by good ones of their friendship and courtship and happy times spent at the homestead with her and the children. Now it was gone ...

He longed to be able to talk with Cloud Dancing. He always had wisdom to impart and a way of seeing things that was clear and uncomplicated. Sully felt so lost he didn't see how he would ever find his way again. But for now he would rest. He was totally spent and if he was to return to Colorado Springs tomorrow in one piece, he needed to sleep. he huddled in a blanket, not bothering to hide himself and dreamed of happier days with his wife and family.

CHAPTER ELEVEN

Roberta rode into Colorado Springs just before midnight. She had ridden much too fast, given the darkness and the terrain, but there was a lot to do and not much time in which to do it.

She took care of Colonel, glad there was no one at the livery to question her late return. She wondered what Robert E. had thought when she wasn't back by sunset and if he had set off any alarms concerning her.

She left the livery trying to figure how she could talk to the people she needed to at this late hour. She didn't even know where Dr. Mike or Sheriff Cooper lived. Lost in thought, she ran smack into Dorothy who was hurrying toward the livery.

"Oh, Roberta!" she cried, "Thank goodness you're back!"

"Dorothy, I need to talk with Dr. Mike" Roberta said without preamble.

"Well, she'll be in town early tomorrow, I expect ... "

"No, I need to talk to her now. It can't wait."

"Well, I suppose you could ride out there with me. As a doctor she is used to occasionally late night calls ... "

"Please, it's very important!" "All right. Michaela left me the wagon tonight so you can ride with me. If she can put you up at the homestead, you can ride into town with us in the morning."

They were silent on the ride to the Sully homestead. It was farther out than Roberta had imagined. She was nearly dropping with fatigue and found herself nodding off as the wagon rattled through the woods. At last they pulled up before a beautiful house with a wide porch and dormered windows. So this was the house Sully had built for his family. Dr. Mike was sitting on the porch stairs with a cup in her hands. As they climbed out of the wagon, she put the cup down and stood up.

"Dorothy, you're so late. I was worried."

"Michaela, remember Roberta?"

"Of course. I'm so glad you got back safely. Is everything all right? Do you need medical assistance?"

Roberta was touched by the concern in her voice. "No, actually, I need to speak with you." She looked uncomfortably at Dorothy. "It's rather important."

"I'll just go put the wagon away and take care of the horses" Dorothy said quickly.

"Come inside," Dr. Mike said. "Would you like some coffee?"

"There isn't much time" Roberta said. "I have news about your husband."

******************************

Michaela lay awake staring at the ceiling. Katie, in her crib, was breathing deeply and evenly. Brian and Colleen had been asleep for hours, since long before Dorothy had brought Roberta here with her startling news. She felt bad about keeping the news from Dorothy, but Roberta had been clear about Sully's wishes. It was probably for the best. Dorothy's reporter's instincts often made it difficult for her to keep secrets. Still, it had been hard to ask Dorothy to stay at the homestead tomorrow to watch Katie and keep an eye on things without being able to tell her why. Dorothy, however, had been amazingly agreeable, not even asking any questions.

Sully alive! She had known it in her heart, but it was still a relief to have it confirmed. It sounded as if he needed a great deal of medical attention but Roberta seemed to have done an excellent job with the supplies she had carried with her into the woods. She was surprisingly adept at answering the questions put to her regarding his condition, remembering details that only a doctor, or perhaps a mother, would recall.

Hopefully Roberta was getting her rest, now, too, rolled up in a rug by the fire downstairs. Tomorrow they would go together and talk to Matthew. Michaela tossed about restlessly. Was this the right way to go? From Roberta's description, Sully was in no shape to travel very far. But a trial ... Roberta felt her lawyer husband could help, but how could Sully deny the accusation of treason? How could he escape execution? They would have to think of something. Maybe Sully would have to 'die' of his wounds, just as that Negro soldier she treated had, the one who refused to kill Indians once he'd met them and talked with them. Tincture of opium she had used, simulating death until they were able to spirit him away in the night. She could try that with Sully, then they could get away, begin a new life somewhere ... It was too much to worry about, now. All she could think of was seeing Sully again, knowing he was truly alive, having precious moments to spend with him. With these thoughts in mind, she at last drifted into an uneasy sleep.

CHAPTER TWELVE

It seemed to Michaela as if they had been riding for days, though it had only been several hours. She tried to relax, knowing her nervousness and tension would easily be communicated to Flash. Roberta was riding ahead, picking out near invisible signs on the trail that showed her the way to go. Matthew sullenly brought up the rear.

The morning had begun badly with their rousting Matthew out of bed before dawn. When he'd heard what they had to say he had wanted Roberta to tell him where Sully was so he could go immediately and arrest him. Roberta had, of course, refused, saying she would show him the way.

"Look," Matthew had replied, "I know you're not from around here, but I'm sheriff, this is my job and I will go myself to get him!"

Roberta had shaken her head, green eyes blazing. "He needs medical attention before he goes anywhere, so you need Dr. Mike and you don't know where he is, so you need me!"

"Fine!" Matthew had said. "I can lock you up for obstructing justice. You can just sit in jail until you're ready to tell me what I need to know."

Roberta went practically nose to nose with him. "You can leave me in there till I rot but I won't tell you. There were conditions to Mr. Sully's turning himself in."

"He's in no position to be setting conditions. He's wanted by the law. There'll be plenty of people looking for him by this afternoon and someone's bound to find him. And they won't be likely to be bringin' him back!"

Michaela had paled visibly. "Matthew, please" she'd pleaded, "try to set aside our differences. Just let us come with you, what harm could it do? You heard what condition Sully's in - he couldn't escape if he wanted to!"

Matthew had given in grudgingly. Michaela knew he was angry because Roberta had kept quiet about what she knew the first time she and Matthew had met. Aiding and abetting a fugitive was serious business in these parts.

Now Roberta had drawn her horse up and was looking around. "Over here" she said. She dismounted and slipped quietly through the trees to the edge of a hill. She whistled 'bob-white' and was answered a moment later by the cry of a mourning dove. "Down there" she said.

Michaela dismounted, and grabbed her medical bag and Matthew followed. As she started down the hill, she saw Roberta step in front of Matthew and give him a hard look. "Wait," she heard her say, "give them a moment."

Amused, she continued down the hill. And there he was, sitting in a small clearing. He appeared thinner and she hadn't seen him looking so scruffy since before their courting days. He watched her as she descended and the look was one she knew well. He got unsteadily to his feet as she reached the clearing and began to run toward him. As they embraced Michaela promised herself never to take such moments for granted again. "Are you alone?" Sully asked at last.

"No," she smiled and glanced up the hill. "Roberta is up there keeping Matthew at bay. At least for the moment."

Sully grinned and kissed her again. "Guess we best take advantage of the moment." Then unused to standing for long periods of time, he eased himself into a sitting position. Michaela knelt beside him, going into professional mode now, feeling his head for fever, checking his wounds.

"You're very weak," she told him. "Have you been eating?"

"Roberta made soup yesterday ... day before ... when she was here. Before that I hadn't eaten in awhile."

"Fever, infection, loss of blood, lack of proper food and rest..." Michaela shook her head. "Your condition is quite serious."

Sully reached for her again. "You're all the medicine I need, Michaela. I ... " There was a noise behind them as Matthew came striding purposefully down the hill followed by a frazzled-looking Roberta.

"Sheriff Cooper, if you would just answer my question about jury trials versus judge-presided ... "

Matthew turned on her. "No! I know what you're tryin' to do. But I have a job to do." Stepping up to where Michaela knelt beside Sully, he drew his gun. "Sully, you're under arrest. Dr. Mike, move away from him."

Michaela looked incredulous. "Matthew!" she exclaimed.

Sully got to his feet. "It's all right, Michaela. Put that gun away, Matthew. I'm turnin' myself in."

Michaela stood up beside Sully. "I haven't finished examining him, Matthew," she said in her no-nonsense voice, "to see if he's fit to travel."

"Don't matter, Dr. Mike," Matthew said. "I'm takin' him in."

Michaela looked at him in exasperation. "He needs to ride with me, then, so I can monitor his condition." On this she would not bend.

Matthew gave a nod. "Let's get going, then. It's a long ride back to town."

**************************

The campsite was cleared, the horses packed and they were about to mount when a noise caught their attention. Two horses and riders were entering the clearing. Michaela closed her eyes and prayed for patience. It was Hank and Jake.

"Well, well, looky what we have here; the doctor, the sheriff and the lady bounty hunter" Hank drawled.

Michaela, Matthew and Sully all turned to look at Roberta. "I am not a bounty hunter" she said.

"Good!" Hank said, a gun magically appearing in his hand. "Then you won't mind handing over my prisoner."

"He's not your prisoner, Hank" Matthew said.

"He's turning himself in" Michaela added.

"No he ain't. He's comin' with us" Jake said.

"Got cheated once out of the bounty on him. Don't aim to get cheated again" Hank said.

"Who are these people?" Roberta asked with narrowed eyes.

"This is our mayor, Jake Slicker," Michaela replied. "He's also the barber in town. And Hank Lawson runs the saloon. Together they operate the Golden Nugget hotel."

"And who might your friend be, Mi-chae-la" Hank said mockingly. "Tit for tat."

Before she could reply, Roberta stepped up to the two horses. Sully tried to reach out to stop her as Hank was still holding the gun. "I'm Roberta Taylor," she said. "My husband is a prominent Philadelphia attorney. At present he is on his way to Colorado Springs. Your attempt to commandeer this prisoner is both illegal and contemptible and when I report your behaviour to my husband, he will see to it that you are properly defenestrated!"

Sully thought he heard a small snort from Michaela's direction as Jake said "Deef-what?"

"You won't like it" Roberta replied. "It could have a profound effect on your future careers." She turned on her heel and marched back to her horse. "Let's get out of here."

Sully looked at Michaela whose mouth was twitching dangerously.

"What?" he asked, "What'd she say?" He mounted Flash and Michaela climbed up behind him.

"She said her husband would throw them out the window" she whispered.

Sully turned and looked at Michaela, then looked at Roberta who had mounted her horse and was ready to go. "You two related?" he asked.

Matthew, who had watched the exchange silently, shook his head. "Let's go. Jake, Hank - go home!" They clucked to their horses and headed off toward Colorado Springs.

**************************************

Roberta rode along in silence, keeping watch for the trailmarkers. That really wasn't necessary as Sully knew the way. Matthew begrudgingly allowed them occasionally stops so Sully could rest. The difficult ride was hard on him in his condition but he turned down Dr. Mike's suggestion that they construct a travois on which to transport him. He was determined to ride into town under his own steam.

Watching Dr. Mike and Sully with each other, Roberta could agree with Dorothy that they belonged together. She hoped opting for a trial was the right thing to do. She prayed Peter would come quickly and would be able to think of a way to set Sully free so he could return to his family.

They were stopping again, now, so Dr. Mike could check on Sully's wounds. As she worked, she smiled at Roberta. "You did a fine job of dressing these wounds the other day."

Roberta shrugged. "As I said, I'm a mother. I've had experience. I'm just glad I could help."

"Well, between that and treating his fever, you probably saved his life."

Roberta shrugged again. "I guess we're even. He told me the way to town when I was lost out here. Is he really all right?"

"His condition is serious, but he was strong and healthy before this and with proper treatment, he should be back to normal before long."

Roberta nodded. "Good." As she turned away from Dr. Mike and Sully, she saw Sheriff Cooper approaching. He was anxious to get back to Colorado Springs by dark and had probably come to hurry them along. To her surprise, he approached her.

"Uh ... Miss Roberta?" he seemed decidedly uneasy. "Um ... about that bounty money?"

"Yes?" "Well, the way I figure, you're entitled as anyone to collect it ... if you want ... to put in a claim, I mean ..." he trailed off as he caught the look on Roberta's face.

"I didn't turn him in," she said evenly, "he turned himself in."

"I just thought ... well, $500 is a lot of money" he stuttered, "I figured it might come in handy in your circumstances, I mean with the fire and all ... "

But Roberta was staring at him furiously. "What kind of person do you think I am? I would go through life homeless and scarred before I'd take even a penny of blood bounty money on a man's life!" She was so angry she couldn't speak any more and seeing that Dr.Mike and Sully were staring at her, she was embarrassed, too. She turned and stalked off to her horse, pretending to be very busy with the saddlebags.

Michaela went back to work on Sully who shook his head. "Whew!" he said, grinning at Michaela. "Are you sure you two aren't related?"

Michaela smiled at Sully as she finished re-dressing his wounds. Then she stood up and walked over to where Roberta was standing, resting her head on her horse's solid flank.

Touching her gently on the arm, Michaela said, "Matthew meant well."

Roberta took a deep breath, trying to collect herself. "I know. I guess I over-reacted. I ... I just didn't want you or Mr. Sully to think that I'd take money like that, that I'd help him just so I could turn him in."

Michaela smiled. "I know that, Roberta," she nodded toward Sully "and he knows that, too. I think Matthew was just trying to help. He feels bad about having to arrest Sully and the way he's been acting."

"I know. That man Hank called me a bounty hunter and I guess I was afraid you might have believed him. I guess I'm just tired."

"You have over-exerted yourself the last few days, I'm sure" Michaela replied . "When we get back I want you to come in to the clinic so I can examine you - make sure there aren't any ill-effects of your little adventures. No charge" she added. "It will be my way of thanking you for saving my husband."

Roberta nodded. "Thanks, Dr. Mike" she said.

"Call me Michaela - all my friends do."

The rest of the trip was without incident and they rode into town just as the last glimmer of light was disappearing behind the hills. They caused a bit of a stir as they rode down the main street of the town, Sully sitting tall and straight in front of Michaela. Hank and Jake had ridden directly back and arrived some time before and were standing with Loren Bray on the porch in front of the saloon. Loren looked like he'd make a good flycatcher as he stood with his mouth wide open. Hank and Jake looked surly. Roberta ignored them as she rode by. She had seen the way they'd looked at her back at the campsite - with the same horror and disgust to which she'd become accustomed. Men and women standing along the way were elbowing each other and whispering, watching the little procession ride by.

Dorothy came running down the street from the Gazette office. "Michaela? Oh, Sully, thank God you're all right! And Roberta ... oh, Roberta ... there's someone to see you ... " she turned to look behind her. A tall, slender bespectacled man with blond hair came running after her and actually passed her as they approached the little group.

"Bobby? Is that you, Bobby?"

"Peter!" Roberta cried, leaping off her horse and running into the man's arms. "It's you, it's really you!" He lifted her up and spun her around as she laughed delightedly. "Are the children with you?" she at last asked breathlessly, looking around.

"They're coming a little later, with your father" the man replied. "He wanted to stop in Washington first ... "

"Washington? You mean ... "

"He's going to see what he can do, Bobby. And he thought the kids might as well go with him. Be good for them and give us a little time, too."

"Oh, Peter, I've got so much to tell you."

As they spoke, Michaela dismounted and watched as Sully carefully climbed down from the horse. She knew better than to try to help him in front of all the people who had gathered to watch their arrival. Dorothy was chattering a mile a minute and Michaela listened with only half an ear. " ... didn't know what to think when you were gone so long. And then Roberta's husband showed on the noon train and was askin' for her and I didn't even know where you'd gone. And here you come ridin' back in with Sully lookin' like he's been through the war ... we have got to have a talk and soon!"

Michaela tried not to look impatient as she unloaded her medical bag and other supplies. "We will, Dorothy, but later. Where are the children?"

"Colleen's off visitin' some friends and Brian is watchin' Katie down at the Gazette office. They haven't had supper yet."

"I'll take care of it. Thank you, Dorothy, for everything. I'll explain it all later but right now I'm tired and I need to take care of Sully."

"Of course. I understand." Dorothy tried to keep the hurt from her voice.

"I'll be back at the homestead later tonight. We can talk then."

"You gonna keep Sully at the clinic, then?"

"No" Michaela fought to keep control. "Matthew's arrested him. He'll be in jail."

Dorothy had nothing to say to that and giving Michaela a quick hug. She hurried to the Gazette office to get her things. Matthew, meanwhile, had been staving off the soldiers who had arrived on the scene, explaining that he had the situation under control and that Sully was his prisoner and would be incarcerated. The soldiers, who had been on constant watch for several weeks, were just as glad to be able to relax a little and leave the responsibility in someone else's hands. "I'll wire for a circuit judge tomorrow" he told them as they walked away.

"Matthew!" Michaela said quietly, "He's in no condition to stand trial now. Can't you wait a few days until I can stabilize his condition?"

"Dr. Mike, this time of year it should take a couple weeks to get one here, anyway."

Michaela looked exasperated but didn't argue.

Brian, carefully carrying Katie, arrived, his expression a mixture of joy and apprehension. Understanding, Michaela took Katie from him as he ran to Sully. "Pa! Oh Pa! I'm so glad you're home" Brian hugged Sully tightly and was not ashamed of the tears that trickled from his eyes. "We were so worried! Are you all right? Are you hurt?"

Sully held his son close. "I'm gonna be all right" he replied. "Thanks to your Ma and Miss Roberta, here." His arm still around Brian, he limped over to where Roberta and Peter were observing the scene and held out his hand. "Thank you" he said simply.

Roberta, who'd been feeling suddenly choked up, could only shake his hand and nod. When she found her voice again, she said, "This is my husband, Peter. The lawyer? Peter, this is Byron Sully, his son Brian, his wife, Dr. Michaela Quinn."

"Pa!" squealed Katie, holding out her arms.

Smiling, Sully took her from Michaela. "And this is our daughter, Katie" he said.

Peter shook hands all around, then said to Sully, "I'd like to come see you, if I may. I have some ideas of how we might handle your trial."

Sully's face closed. "I can't pay no lawyer."

"I wasn't asking you to" Peter said quietly. "I just want to talk."

"There's no point in talkin'" Sully said stubbornly.

"Sully, please" Michaela said with intensity. "This is no time for stubborn pride. This is your life we're talking about. You can work things out later, but there has to be a later. Think of me. Think of your family." Sully looked around at them; Michaela and Brian looking at him pleadingly, even Katie appearing anxious. Suddenly she reached out and patted his cheek. "Pa" she said gently.

He melted. "All right" he nodded to Peter. "We'll talk." He handed Katie back to Michaela as Matthew came and took his arm.

Quickly Michaela handed the baby to Brian so she could give Sully a final embrace before Matthew led him away. "We'll get you out of this" she whispered. "Somehow we will."

CHAPTER THIRTEEN

That night, Roberta and Peter lay together in the narrow boarding house bed, discussing their adventures since Roberta had left for Colorado Springs. "We got a good settlement, Bobby" Peter said. "More than I expected. He paid big to keep everything out of the courts."

"And out of the news" Roberta put in drily.

"That, too" Peter agreed. "But at least now we can fix up the house, or get your operation. Maybe both. Or maybe ... "

"What?"

"I don't know. Maybe start somewhere new. It's something to think about."

"Yes." Roberta turned on her side. "What about Mr. Sully? Do you think you can help him?"

Peter paused before answering. "I don't know, Bobby. I was asking around while you were gone, talking to that Mrs. Jennings from the Gazette. It seems a pretty clear case of treason. And the man has a long record of trouble and suspected indiscretions."

"He also has a long record of helping people." They were silent for a long time before Roberta continued, "Remember that case you studied in law school? What was his name ... Orrin Hathaway?"

"Orrin Hathaway ... " Peter said thoughtfully. "It's an interesting thought. But his was a first offense and under extenuating circumstances. And he wasn't all tangled up with the government and the army and all."

"True, but you could still use that type of defense."

"Maybe ... "

"I bet Dorothy would help you!"

"Dorothy ...? Oh, the newspaper lady."

"She knows all the people around here and she's the one that told me all about Dr. Mike and Sully. They're good people, Peter. I don't want to see them get hurt."

"It's one of your 'feelings', isn't it?" Peter asked quietly. Roberta nodded, suddenly unable to speak. Peter put his arms around her and held her close. "I've come to trust those feelings of yours, Roberta. Well, maybe your father will come up with something in Washington. We've got to try. I don't know how it'll work, but we've got to try."

*******************************

Matthew sat at his desk with his feet up and the chair tilted back. Pale moonlight streamed in the window and spilled into the cell where Sully slept on his narrow cot. This had been the most difficult month Matthew could ever remember. Losing his Ma and then Ingrid and having Emma move away had all been very difficult in the past, but these present circumstances were different, somehow, requiring more of him and taxing his strength and emotions, causing him to call upon resources he wasn't sure he had.

He'd been a boy just a little younger than Brian when he'd first met Sully. Sully had been kind, but rather aloof, spending most of his time when he wasn't mining, with Abigail Bray whom he'd eventually married. She was a really sweet lady, friendly with his mother, Charlotte, and she used to bring treats to Colleen and him when she came visiting. She'd helped his Ma with Brian when he was a baby. When she'd finally become pregnant after several years, she and Sully were so happy. Sully knew Matthew's Pa had left and would sometimes take him fishing with him. He talked excitedly of the coming child and Matthew would find himself wishing his own Pa had wanted him like that.

Then Abigail and the baby had died and Sully had disappeared. He'd resurfaced a year or so later, living with the Cheyenne. Charlotte, unlike most of the townsfolk, had approved. "If anyone can help that man find his way again, it's those Indians" she'd said. "They got a way of looking at life - and death - that's real healthy. It'll be good for him to learn some of their wisdom." "But all the people say he's crazy!" Colleen had protested. "They say he'll turn Injun livin' with 'em!"

"I wanna go live with the Cheyenne!" six-year-old Brian had chimed in.

"Hush now, eat your supper" Charlotte had said to Brian. Then to Colleen, "How many of those people you heard gossiping put out their hand to that man when his heart was broke? Don't go judgin' a person till you've walked in his shoes!"

Matthew knew his Ma felt bad because as midwife, she'd been unable to save Abigail and the baby. But she'd been right, Sully came away from his sojourn with the Cheyenne a better man. He still spent a great deal of time with them, but didn't live with them all the time. He lived alone in the woods and no longer mined - taking from the earth without putting back. He wouldn't touch a gun but was skilled with bow and arrow, tomahawk and double-bladed axe. He hunted, trapped, fished and pretty much kept to himself, except when his services were required as a negotiator and translator between the soldiers and the Indians.

Then Dr. Mike arrived in town and their Ma had died shortly after, leaving them in her care. And Sully had become a part of their family, providing them with shelter, food, sometimes protection and spending time with the children, teaching them, helping them, talking with them, eventually marrying Dr. Mike and adopting them.

Matthew himself had benefitted immeasurably from Sully's tutelage- he'd taught him survival skills, how to fight without weapons, had talked with him about pain, loss and starting over. He'd supported him on his first vision quest, stood by him through the pain of his father's constant betrayal, he'd been a real friend to him and a real "Pa" to his younger sister and brother.

How could it be that they were now on such opposite sides? Matthew was proud of being sheriff but the job came with certain responsibilities. He was paid to uphold the law and he couldn't ignore it whenever the whim struck. No one could. Men who wanted to write their own laws, to march to their own drummer, so to speak, could be dangerous and it could be just as bad for a man whose intentions were good, as Sully's were, as for a man with evil intent. Look what had happened just recently - the looting, burning and shooting that had resulted from Sully's desire to help the Indians. He always seemed to be where trouble was, lately, whether he was starting it or trying to stop it.

The thing was, sometimes Matthew half agreed with what Sully was trying to do. he didn't like seeing the side of a mountain blasted away to make way for a dam, flooding land that could never be replaced; he hated the thought of their friend Cloud Dancing having to stay in a place where he was treated so brutally. He asked himself, if he weren't sheriff, would he be helping Sully in his endeavors? He'd certainly done so in the past.

He thought again of the homestead that Sully had given him, burned to the ground, the charred timbers smoking, the smell of it, the sight of it and he felt again the anger he had felt when he first saw it. There were reasons for the laws he was paid to uphold.

He tilted his chair forward and stood up, jamming his hat on his head. With a final look at the sleeping prisoner, he left to spend the night in the lean-to he'd built on the old homestead property.

CHAPTER FOURTEEN

Early the next morning, Michaela appeared in the sheriff's office, medical bag in hand. Matthew was reluctant to allow her in with Sully, claiming a 'no visitors' rule.

"Matthew, he needs medical attention" Michaela said firmly. Then, in a softer tone, "Please, Matthew, give us a few minutes." She and Matthew stood facing each other as she looked pleadingly into his eyes, while his face reflected the anger he was feeling towards Sully.

Matthew was the first to look away. "I'll give you 15 minutes, Dr. Mike" he said. He locked her into the cell with Sully then stalked out of the office, all but slamming the door on the way.

Michaela sighed and went over to perch on Sully's cot. The first few minutes involved treatment not written up in any medical books, but at last they broke their embrace and Michaela went to work changing bandages and treating wounds. "I brought you a change of clothes" she said, handing him a haversack, "and some shaving things." She knew he was given water for washing and shaving once a day. "Have you had breakfast?"

"Grace sent it over earlier" he replied. "Michaela, we have to talk."

"What is it, Sully?" She felt her heart sink at his tone - he sounded so sad, so defeated.

"Michaela, it's real good to be with you again, to see you, to hold you - but we can't forget this whole thing ain't over. Fact is, it's just beginning. And I was thinkin' ... maybe you should take the kids and go to Boston to see your family. Till it's all over, I mean."

She couldn't believe what she was hearing. "Sully! Don't be absurd. I'm not going to leave you." She went on tying bandages.

"Michaela - this ain't gonna be pretty. I know that lawyer said he could help me but I got too many points against me to begin with. This ain't the first time I've been accused of something treasonous or close to it. If I get convicted and they sentence me to hang ... "

"Then I'll be there beside you. Or as near as they'll let me" Michaela said firmly.

"I don't want you to go through that. I've put you through enough already, frettin' and worryin' when I was hidin' out ... "

"Oh, and you don't think I'll worry in Boston?" she said with a flash of temper.

Sully gestured helplessly. "I just don't want you to have to watch ... "

Michaela took both his hands in hers and said "Sully. I'm your wife. What happens to you happens to me. Didn't you say that to me once? I'm going to be there at your trial and whatever happens after that, I'm going to be there, too. No arguement."

Sully looked at her for a long moment. "Well, at least keep the kids away from the trial."

"Of course I'll get someone to watch Katie. Matthew will have to be there as sheriff. Colleen is old enough to make her own decision."

"But Brian ... "

"Brian and I have already discussed it. I suggested to Brian that it might be best for him to stay away. Do you know what he said?"

Sully mutely shook his head.

"He said, 'Sully's always been there for us. Now I want to be there for him. And for you, Ma.'"

There was nothing for Sully to say after that so they just held each other quietly until Matthew came inside, saying "Time's up, Dr. Mike." and let her out of the cell, locking it after her with a dismal 'clang'.

*********************************

Over at the saloon, Jake was on his high horse again. He'd started drinking early, which was always a bad sign. "Why're they waitin' for a judge? We all know he's guilty. We should just hang 'im and be done with it!"

"Aw now Jake" Loren protested, "this is Sully we're talkin' about! We all know he's got crazy ideas but that don't mean we gotta hang him!"

"Well this time he's gone too far!" Jake said fiercely. "If he wants to go live with the Indians, let him. But he's got no right turnin' 'em loose on the rest of us with their lyin', thievin', burnin' ways."

"I hear Sully's got some fancy lawyer from Philadelphia gonna plead his case" Hank remarked.

"Him and that crazy wife of his with her two-bit words" Jake said bitterly.

"Aw, wha'd you expect - another woman with a boy's name can only mean trouble!" Loren put in. "Must be some Eastern custom - first we got 'Mike' and then 'Sam' and now we got 'Bobby'. Gettin' so you can't tell the men from the women any more!"

"I got some girls who could teach you the difference" Hank volunteered, causing Jake to smile and Loren to storm off in a huff.

********************************************

Down the street at the bank, Preston sat at his desk, lips resting on his steepled fingers. He was racking his brains trying to figure a way to get his hands on the Sully homestead. It had been within his grasp once or twice recently but then circumstances intervened to take it away. Sully's turning up alive complicated matters a bit but Preston figured that ultimately it would only delay things a little. Once Sully was tried, executed and out of the way,he would deal with Michaela. She probably wouldn't want to stay at the homestead with all its memories and would be glad to sell it to him for whatever she could get. Perhaps she would even return to Boston, to the bosom of her family, so to speak.

He never could figure out why someone like Michaela Quinn had left the comforts of her Beacon Hill existence to come to this untamed territory. Of course the Quinns always had been a strange lot, his own father knew that.

Now that Byron Sully and by default his haughty wife would be out of the picture, he could finally make some progress in this town. So far anytime he wanted to get something done around here; start a hotel, build a homestead, get elected mayor, either Sully or Michaela had spoiled it for him. But those days were about to end and if he could come away with one of the choicest pieces of Colorado Springs land, he would feel thoroughly vindicated. Perhaps he would pay a visit to the lovely Dr. Quinn this very afternoon.

*********************************

Loren had meanwhile retreated to his store where he stood outside, hands in pockets. He saw that Roberta character and her husband leave the boarding house and hurry up the street to the Gazette office. What in tarnation did they want there? He watched people come and go on the street and a little while later, Dorothy and Roberta's husband (Peter, wasn't it?) emerged and headed toward the livery while Roberta went off in the other direction. Next thing he knew, Peter and Dorothy headed out of town in a wagon. What in the world was that woman up to now? But customers were waiting, so Loren reluctantly left his post and went in to serve them.

Continue