For personal and select distribution only (c) by Lori Martin, December 2000
**********

"Bobbie," Gracie nudged her sleeping husband.

"Go back to sleep Gracie, it was only a slight tremor," Bobbie mumbled still half asleep.

"Yes, I know that," Gracie nudged him again, "but maybe you should check on our guests. They've probably never felt an earthquake before. They're probably wondering what's happening."

"Yeah, I suppose your right," Bobbie agreed as he threw his legs over the side of the bed, rubbing the sleep from his eyes.

*******************

As Sully started to hand Katie over to Michaela there was a sudden knock at their door. Michaela quickly drew the covers up around her chest while Sully laid Katie down beside her. Picking his buckskins up off the floor he quickly pulled them on and then walking over to the door he opened it slightly. Standing on the other side was Bobbie, still half-asleep and in nothing more than his boxers.

"Sorry to disturb you, but..." Bobbie began as he rubbed his eyes.

"What was that?" exclaimed Sully in alarm.

"It was only a mild earthquake, nothing to worry about really," Bobbie tried to reassure him. "After awhile you just get used to them." Seeing the fear evident in Sully's eyes he asked, "Is everyone alright?"

Sully slowly shook his head and then glancing back at Michaela he replied anxiously, "Yeah, we're fine, just a little shaken is all."

Bobbie's mouth turned up in a slight smile, "Well, that's understandable, this being your first earthquake and all. But everything's fine now, you can go back to sleep."

"Yeah, well, tell my wife that," Sully smiled slightly as his nerves began to calm. "But thanks for looking in on us. You go on and go back to bed before Gracie misses ya."

"Well, if you're sure everyone's okay, I think I will try to catch some more sleep. Goodnight," Bobbie said as he turned and walked back to his room.

Sully walked back over to the bed and climbed in beside Michaela. He gently lifted Katie into his one arm while pulling Michaela into the other. She leaned her head against his chest while her one hand lightly stroked Katie's hair. Michaela took a deep breath and then slowly let it out. "An earthquake," she muttered quietly, "I can't believe we were in an earthquake."

Michaela was still trembling as Sully leaned over and kissed the top of her head. "It's alright now, Michaela," Sully's voice was soothing, "Bobbie said it's all over, there's nothing to be afraid of now." Looking at her he knew his words sounded hollow and were of little comfort to her. Giving her shoulder a loving squeeze he said, "Why don't we try and get some sleep. I'll put Katie back in her crib."

"No!" Michaela cried out as she quickly reached for Katie, "I want to hold her, I want her with me, please," her voice was urgent. Sully saw the hint of fear still evident in Michaela's eyes and understood her reaction. "Alright," he spoke quietly, "but let's try to get some sleep. We have another big day tomorrow." He helped her slide under the covers with Katie tucked snuggly under her arm. He turned onto his side facing her and raising himself up on his elbow, he began to lightly stroke Michaela's cheek. An impish grin suddenly appeared on his face. "What's that smirk for?" Michaela asked suspiciously.

Sully's grin broadened and with a twinkle in his eye he said, "I was just thinking about when we made love tonight, and then the earthquake happening." Michaela smiled shyly as she felt a soft blush suffuse her face. "Yes?" she wondered just exactly what part of tonight Sully was thinking about.

Leaning in closer he whispered playfully into her ear, "I mean, I know we're good together Michaela, but even I never expected us to actually feel the earth move when we made love."

Michaela's eyes sparkled with laughter and reaching up she lightly traced Sully's lips with the tip of her finger. She batted her sultry eyes at him and in a simmering voice she whispered, "When I'm with you Sully, anything's possible."

Sully's blood raced at the sound of her intoxicating voice. Meeting her gaze his eyes twinkled merrily, "So, what did you think of Bobbie's theory?" he asked as he lightly stroked her arm.

"I think it still needs further testing," Michaela smiled impishly.

Sully cast her a roguish grin and recognizing the suggestive glint in his eyes, Michaela smiled to herself. Leaning over Katie she lightly caressed his cheek and then giving him a quick peck on the cheek she settled back down under the covers. "Goodnight, Sully, I love you," she whispered, a smile on her lips.

As he lightly stroked her hair a smile tugged at the corner of his lips. As he settled under the covers next to her he laid his arm protectively over Katie, resting it on Michaela's waist. "'Night, Michaela. I love you too," he whispered.

****************

While Michaela and Gracie set up the picnic area in a large grassy area, Sully and Bobbie unpacked the car. Matthew had taken Katie over to the play area to swing. As they spread their picnic blankets under two large oak trees Michaela turned to Gracie and said, "Why don't you just sit down and let me finish the rest of this. I remember all too well those last few months." Gracie smiled back at Michaela, "I am anxious to have this little one out, but I suppose I have to wait another few months."

Michaela walked over to Gracie and lightly patted her swollen stomach. "I hope you don't mind, but Sully told me about your son. I'm sorry," Michaela spoke softly.

"It's alright Dr. Mike," Gracie assured her, although Michaela was sure she detected a trace of moisture in her eyes. "Bobbie and I are just really happy that our little girl here is going to be fine. We were always so afraid to have another baby because there was always the chance of it being born with the same disease." Gracie looked at Dr. Mike and as she laid her hand protectively over her stomach, her face glowed with joy. "And then this little miracle came along, quite unexpectedly I might add, but by the grace of God she's going to be healthy, though we would have loved her no matter what."

"I can't believe that they can tell so much now, before the baby is even born," Michaela stated astoundingly.

Gracie rubbed her stomach in a slow, circular motion. "Yes, it is amazing, isn't it?"

"I thought we'd eat lunch later on, maybe after a little hike through the woods to work up our appetites," Bobbie said as he walked over to the girls. "But right now why don't we all just try to relax a little and enjoy ourselves." Turning to Sully he gave him a slight wink and said, "Now would be a good time to show Dr. Mike your surprise."

"My surprise?" Michaela asked excitedly as she cast Sully a questioning eye.

Nodding his head to Bobbie, Sully walked up behind Michaela and putting his arms around her he leaned over and whispered into her ear, "Come on, I got somethin' to show you." Taking her hand in his he led her a short distance away to a large open area. "What is it?" Michaela asked curiously as they stopped in front of a large object lying on the ground, "It looks like a dragon."

"It is," Sully replied mischievously, a smug grin on his face, "Well, actually it's a kite in the form of a dragon. You can make it do all sorts of tricks. I bought it yesterday at the mall and Bobbie helped me put it together last night."

Michaela's eyes were alight with excitement as she looked into Sully's eyes and instantly she knew that he was thinking the same thing. "Oh Sully, thank you. I remember the last time we did this, don't you?"

"Yep, that's what made me decide to buy this one," Sully looked at the smile on Michaela's face and was overjoyed at her exuberance. "Come on, I'll hold the tail while you take off running."

Michaela was bubbling with enthusiasm as Sully handed her the string. "When I say go you just take off running and then let the string out a little at a time," Sully called to her. "Alright, I'm ready," Michaela called back to him. "GO!" Sully shouted and Michaela took off running, her hair flying wildly in the wind, the dragon soaring high into the sky. "Let out some more string," Sully called again as he heard Michaela's laughter echoing in the wind.

It wasn't long before Matthew and Katie returned and sitting in the grass with Katie between his knees, he watched with envy as Sully and Michaela laughed and played together. Bobbie and Gracie joined him and seeing the wistful look in his eye, Bobbie asked, "Do you have a girlfriend back home?" Startled by the unexpected question, Matthew quickly looked up and then said, "Uh, no, not anymore." Quickly changing the subject Matthew then said, "I think I'll go and see if Dr. Mike will let me try that thing.." Turning to Gracie he asked, "Could you watch Katie a few minutes?"

"Of course," Gracie answered as Matthew handed Katie over to her. Jumping up he then walked over to where Dr. Mike and Sully were flying the kite. "Mind if I give it a try?" Matthew asked hopefully as he approached Dr. Mike.

"Of course not, Matthew. Just pull on either one of these strings and you can make it swoop up or down or even do somersaults," Michaela demonstrated as she made the kite flip over. As she handed the spool of string over to Matthew she flashed Sully an impish smile and said, "It's actually quite fun."

"I've never seen you do anything like this before Dr. Mike," Matthew looked at her glowing face, "I didn't even know you knew how to fly a kite."

Looking at Sully, her eyes full of love, Michaela replied softly, "I had a good teacher," and then addressing both of them she said, "I think I'll go check on Katie now."

"I'll come with you," Sully replied as he patted Matthew on the back.

As they sat on the blanket watching Matthew fly the kite, Gracie turned to Dr. Mike and asked, "Matthew seems very lonely, did he just break up with his girlfriend?"

"His girlfriend?" Sully questioned.

"Well, yes, when I asked him if he had a girlfriend back home he looked at me kind of sad and then he said 'not any more'" Gracie explained. "I just assumed he must have broken up with a girlfriend recently.

A mournful look suddenly appeared on Michaela's face as she remembered Ingrid, Matthew's one and only true love. She looked up at Gracie with tears in her eyes and explained, "Matthew was engaged but his finance died a year ago, right before Thanksgiving. Ever since then it has been very hard on him."

"How did she die?" Bobbie asked tentatively.

"She was bitten by our youngest son's pet wolf and she contracted rabies," Sully replied. "Michaela did everything she could but she died a few days later."

"That must have been horrible for him," Gracie sympathized as she unconsciously rubbed her swollen stomach, remembering her own loss eight years ago.

"Yes, it was," Michaela replied, swiping at a tear, "They were so much in love. The first anniversary of her death was only last week so Matthew has been feeling rather melancholy."

"Well, that's understandable," Bobbie returned, "I know a lot of people died from rabies back then."

Michaela's ears perked up and she quickly scooted around on the blanket so she was facing Bobbie and Gracie. Her eyes widened as she asked, "Do you mean they have a cure for rabies now?"

"Well, no, it's not actually a cure," Gracie answered. "They can give shots now..."

"You mean a vaccine, an inoculation?" Michaela interrupted.

"No, it's not a vaccine exactly," Gracie explained. "It's a series of shots that they give to someone after they have been bitten. The shots prevent the rabies from developing."

"Interesting," pondered Michaela as the wheels in her head began to spin.

"Unfortunately," Gracie interrupted her thoughts, "even today once a person has contracted the rabies, it is still fatal."

"But that's wonderful that they can now prevent the rabies from developing. If I had had that knowledge a year ago, Ingrid would still be alive, and..." Michaela's voice choked slightly as she felt Sully's hand squeezing her shoulders. "You did everything you possibly could for her, Michaela," Sully whispered softly.

"Yes, I know," Michaela said wistfully as she reached up and squeezed Sully's hand. "I only wish... for Matthew's sake..." she glanced over at Matthew who was now reeling in the kite, "I only want to see him happy again."

"We all want that for him, but it will take time," Sully spoke softly as his hand lightly caressed the back of her neck, "He'll find love again, Michaela, someday," and then leaning down he gently kissed her lips. "We both did," he smiled warmly. As Sully glanced up he saw Matthew approaching them and deciding it was best to quickly change the subject he said, "How about we take that hike now? Is everyone up to it?"

"I am," Matthew replied as he joined them on the blanket.

Gracie groaned slightly but said, "I'm as ready as I'll ever be. If we're gonna go on that hike, we better do it now, because after lunch I won't be up to much of anything but a nap."

"Pregnant women and their naps," Bobbie teased her as he helped her to her feet.

****************

They had been hiking for almost a half hour when they decided to stop for a short rest at a lookout point. Sully was carrying Katie on his back in a baby carrier and as he shifted her weight slightly he looked out over the view and said, "It's beautiful out here?" Michaela put her arm around his waist and looking up at him she replied, "Yes, it is."

"It's good to know that even some hundred years later there are still people that want to preserve this beautiful land," Sully said wistfully as he looked out over the vast mountain range in the distance, "that maybe all of our efforts to preserve the Colorado Territory isn't in vain." Michaela's hold on him tightened as she rested her head against his chest.

"You're absolutely right, Sully," Bobbie replied, "Malibu State Park is just one of many state parks all over the United States now. It gives everyone the opportunity to experience a little bit of nature." Bobbie then opened the small leaflet he had picked up earlier and began reading. "This land used to be inhabited by the Chumash Indians. There are over 7,000 acres in this park, with fishing, hiking, bird watching and horseback riding," Bobbie continued.

They all took another long look at the magnificent view before Gracie said, "Well, I'm ready to go anytime you all are," she began to gingerly massage her back.

Sully looked towards the two different paths that lay before them and looking at Bobbie he asked, "Well, which way do we go?"

"Well, according to this map the path to the right will lead us back around to our picnic area. This path," Bobbie said as he pointed to the path on the left, "takes us to Paramount Ranch."

"What's Paramount Ranch?" Michaela asked as she pulled away from Sully.

"It's an old western town they've built where they film movies and television shows," Gracie replied. Then looking at Bobbie she said, "Let's take the path on the left. I want to show Sully and Dr. Mike the Paramount Ranch, see if it really is like the old west."

A short time later they emerged from the woods into an open area. As they walked ahead Michaela could see that it was indeed a town set up to look like the 1800's. In fact, Michaela thought to herself, something about it looked awfully familiar.

As they began their walk through the middle of town, Michaela's eyes lit up in wonder, "Sully, this looks just like Colorado Springs. Look, there's Jake's barber shop, the general store, over there's Hank's saloon and that building looks just like my clinic, only it's still the boarding house."

Sully was also looking around the town in awe as he too noticed the many similarities. Turning to Bobbie he said, "Everything here looks so real, so authentic. It looks just like our little town of Colorado Springs. It's sort of eerie really."

"Yes, it is," Michaela answered as she shivered slightly. Noticing this Sully grasped her hand and squeezed it. "It's our town, Michaela, it's Colorado Springs," Sully spoke softly.

Just then they heard an elderly woman scream. As they turned around to the source of the scream, they saw an elderly gentleman collapse to the ground. Quickly Michaela ran towards the man, weaving her way through the crowd. "Move please, I'm a doctor," she exclaimed as she bent over the man. Feeling for a pause and finding none, she looked up at the elderly woman and said, "I'm sorry, he's gone, there's nothing I can do for him."

Before Michaela could finish her sentence a middle-aged woman suddenly appeared before them and knelt down beside the lifeless body. Putting her fingers to his neck, she felt for a pulse. "Are you a doctor also?" Michaela asked as the woman gently pushed Michaela aside. "No, I'm a journalist but I do know CPR," the woman replied as she quickly assessed the situation and then began breathing into the victims mouth.

Michaela watched in awe as the woman continued to breath into the man's mouth, and to her astonishment, the man's chest slowly began to rise and fall and she heard someone say, "I've got a pulse." Feeling totally useless, Michaela quietly stepped back from the crowd as the red headed woman took control. Suddenly a wave of guilt and a deep feeling of inadequacy swept over her as she realized that if it had been left up to her, that man would now be dead. She leaned back against the building and took several, deep calming breaths. As she closed her eyes tightly to ward off the tears, she thought, "What kind of a doctor am I? I couldn't even save that man but some stranger off the street with no medical knowledge could."

Sully watched Michaela as she slowly stepped away from the crowd and then leaning back against the building, she tightly closed her eyes. He saw the look of devastation on her face and he knew that her emotions were soaring. Quickly walking over to her he put his arm around her waist and drew her near. "There was nothing you could do, Michaela," Sully spoke softly.

"There was nothing 'I' could do," Michaela's voice choked, "but 'she' could." Pulling away from Sully, she continued, "What kind of a doctor am I Sully. I couldn't save that man but 'a journalist' could. I feel so useless," she whispered as her eyes fell to the ground.

Sully once again put his hands gently on her shoulders and meeting her eyes he spoke firmly, "You're a good doctor, Michaela. Don't go doubtin' yourself now."

Bobbie, Gracie and Matthew had also been watching Michaela and now they too joined Sully. "Sully's right, Dr. Mike," Gracie said quietly. "You had no way of knowing how to save that man. Remember, this is 1990, they didn't know anything about CPR a hundred years ago. You did everything you could possibly do. You can't blame yourself, you hear," Gracie told her.

Michaela looked at her friends and sighed, "That doesn't change the fact that that man would be dead right now if it had been left up to me," she quickly swiped at a tear.

"But he's not," Bobbie spoke up sternly, "so stop blaming yourself. You did your best, right? And that's all anyone can do."

"He's right Dr. Mike," Matthew chimed in, "you're the one who's always telling me to just do my best."

Sully turned her around to look at him and meeting her eyes he gently squeezed her shoulders. "It wasn't your fault, so no more feeling guilty or blaming yourself, alright?"

Nodding her head Michaela took a deep breath. "You're right, I keep forgetting this is 1990 and that I'm a hundred years behind everyone. Of course I had no way of knowing what to do." Straightening her shoulders back she flashed Sully a smile, "But now I do if anything like that ever happens again," she said determinedly.

"See, as a doctor you learned something new today," Sully tapped her lightly on the nose, "now let's just pray that you never have the need for it." Their eyes met briefly and Sully leaned over and kissed her full lips. Being a doctor, and a doctor's husband, they both knew just how fragile life could be. "I love you," he whispered close to her ear. They clung to each other for a brief moment and then Michaela returned his smile but unbeknownst to her, just a short distance away she was being closely watched by a woman with shoulder length blond hair.

As the crowd began to disperse and the elderly gentleman was taken away in an ambulance, the red-haired woman approached their small group. "Excuse me," the woman spoke meekly, "I didn't mean to push you away back there. I'm sorry if I offended you in anyway."

"No, no, of course not. You were right in doing what you did. You saved that man's life," Michaela spoke politely, still feeling somewhat embarrassed.

"Well, it was nothing really," the woman said modestly, her eyes on the ground.

"I've never seen that done before, breathing into someone's mouth like that, bringing him back to life," Michaela said in amazement, "where did you learn to do that?"

"My office offered a course in CPR last spring so I took it. Now I'm glad I did or I wouldn't have known what to do either," the woman answered. After a brief pause the woman looked at Michaela with a puzzling look in her eyes and then said, "but didn't I hear someone say that you were a doctor? Surely you know about CPR?"

It was then that Sully came to her rescue. Putting his one arm protectively around her shoulder he extended his other hand and said, "Good afternoon, ma'am, I'm Byron Sully, and this here is my wife, Dr. Michaela Quinn." As the woman stuck out her hand to shake, Sully added, his voice full of admiration, "You did real good over there."

"Thank you," the woman murmured as she shook Sully's hand, "My name is Dotty Jenkins, pleased to meet both of you." Michaela nodded her head in acquaintance just as Bobbie, Gracie and Matthew stepped forward. Turning to the others, Sully began to introduce them. "These are our friends, Bobbie and Gracie and this is our oldest son, Matthew. Everyone, this is Dotty Jenkins."

"So you're a journalist?" Gracie asked.

"Yes, I am," Dotty replied, "I work for a local newspaper called the Gazette. In fact, that's why I'm here today. I'm doing an article on the old west and my friend over there," and for the first time they noticed the blond-haired woman who had been watching them intently, "well, she's sort of a history buff and she decided to come with me."

Dotty waved to the woman standing against the post. As the woman approached them, Dotty turned to her friend and said, "Beth, I'd like you to meet Byron Sully and his wife, Dr. Michaela Quinn, and their son Matthew, and this is Bobbie and Gracie. This is my friend Beth Sullivan."

"Please, call me Sully," Sully spoke up, "and my wife goes by Dr. Mike."

"It's nice to meet all of you," Beth greeted each of them with a smile, and then seeing the small bundle on Sully's back, she asked, "and who is this little one?"

"That's our daughter, Katie," Michaela spoke with pride.

"She's beautiful," Dotty proclaimed. "Yes, she is," Sully returned proudly.

Beth turned to Michaela and said, "Dr. Mike, I didn't mean to pry, but I couldn't help but overhear your earlier conversation. What did you mean when you said you were a hundred years behind. Surely if you're a doctor, you would know how to administer CPR."

"It's true, I am a doctor," Michaela tried to explain, "but unfortunately I've never heard of CPR. You see, we didn't know anything about it in 1870." Michaela knew that what she was saying must sound absurd, but she had always believed that the truth was best. And for some strange and unknown reason, Beth's interest was only peaked more.

Gracie wasn't so sure of the wisdom of Dr. Mike's directness and whispered, "Dr. Mike, maybe it's not such a good idea to be telling everyone where you're from."

Dotty began to laugh hysterically, "What are you saying, that you lived some hundred years ago and you just mysteriously showed up here?"

Looking her pointedly in the eye, Michaela took a deep breath and replied, "Yes, that's exactly what I'm saying." Dotty's laugh only became louder. "Surely you can't expect us to believe that, what do you take us for, some kind of fools," she said in exasperation.

"Wait," Beth exclaimed, "Dotty, remember that piece we heard on the radio this morning, about a house mysteriously falling on some rich man's Bentley. Remember, they said the house looked like it had been built in the 1800's." She looked at the group before them and then added, "We thought it was only a joke, and so did probably everyone else. That station is notorious for doing pranks on the radio."

It was Bobbie who spoke up this time. "No, it wasn't a joke. Dr. Mike and Sully are from the 1870's and it was their house that fell on that Bentley. We don't know how it happened or why, but it did. Gracie and I found them that first morning, lost and confused, so we took them in. Now we're trying to find a way to get them back home, to 1870 Colorado Springs."

"This is amazing," Beth commented, "The late 1800's is my favorite time in history. I just love that time period, the clothes, the wild west. I'd love to learn more about it, if you'd care to share it with me," Beth said excitedly.

Michaela and Sully both eyed Beth suspiciously. "Do you mean you believe us?" Michaela asked incredulously.

Beth looked straight at Sully and Michaela and without hesitation she replied, "Yes, yes I do believe you. I don't know why, maybe women's intuition," she shrugged, "but for some strange reason I do believe you."

"This is crazy," Dotty exclaimed. "You can't possibly expect me to believe all of this?"

Michaela stepped up to Dotty and gently placed her hand on her forearm. "I know this all sounds absurd, Dotty, but we are telling you the truth. I would never lie, especially to a friend," Michaela spoke softly and then lightly squeezing Dotty's arm, she added, "and I'd like to consider you as a friend."

As Michaela placed her hand on Dotty's arm, a calming effect suddenly came over Dotty. Slowly she looked up at Michaela and said, "I can't explain it, but for some odd reason I feel as if I've known you for years. And even stranger than that," Dotty tried to explain as she met Michaela's eyes, "is that I do believe you."

"Why don't you ladies join us for a picnic lunch?" Bobbie interrupted everyone's thoughts.

"Yes, please do," Michaela quickly added, "that's if you don't already have plans."

Dotty and Beth exchanged glances and then Dotty said, "We'd love to join you. We really didn't have any specific plans for today."

"Good then," Sully replied as he shifted Katie's weight on his back, "I hope you're up to a little hiking?"

"We both wore our hiking shoes today," Beth laughed, "although neither of us actually thought we would do any hiking."

"Well, let's go then," Gracie spoke up, "I'm starving."

This caused laughter to erupt from Bobbie and Sully, "You're always hungry woman," Bobbie chided teasingly. After casting Bobbie a disapproving glance, Gracie smiled and then headed back down the trail.

(Author's Note: In the second season in the episode titled "Dr. Mike's Dream; A Christmas Tale" when Mr. Marley suddenly dies of a heart attack, Michaela apparently doesn't know of any way to resuscitate him, she doesn't even try. But in "All That Matters", when Sully stops breathing, she now knows about mouth-to-mouth resuscitation. The preceding was my version of where she learned how. However, she soon forgets this brief knowledge because in "A Matter of Conscience" when General Wooden has his heart attack, she again knows nothing about resuscitation. But that's TV Land.)

*************

Gracie leaned back against the tree and patted her full stomach, ready for an afternoon nap. Lunch that day had been full of constant chatter as Sully and Michaela once again told their story of how only two days ago they had woken up to find themselves no longer in Colorado Springs. They went on to tell their new friends all that had happened in the past two days, with little pieces added by everyone, and how Matthew had suddenly appeared on the beach. Dotty and Beth were both mesmerized by the story, not daring to take their eyes off the pair.

Now that lunch was over Gracie lazily stretched out on the blanket and watched as Bobbie, Sully and Matthew readied their fishing poles. Michaela was sitting under a tree a short distance away feeding Katie while their two new friends had graciously offered to clean up. Now with everything cleaned up and put away Dotty and Beth once again gathered on the blanket next to Gracie. A few minutes later they were joined by Michaela as she carefully laid a sleeping Katie down next to Gracie, who was moments away from sleep herself.

As Gracie and Katie slept and the boys fished for supper, Michaela answered the many questions that Dotty and Beth asked. Beth was a writer also, only she wrote stories for television she explained. She told Michaela how she had been interested in the 1800's, particularly the late 1800's, ever since she was a little girl. Beth was hungry for information regarding the old west and lapped up all that Michaela could tell her. She was especially intrigued about Michaela's decision to become a doctor at a time when a lady doctor was almost unheard of. She wanted to know all about hers and Sully's life, about the children and about the people of the town. She seemed to go on and on with her endless questions.

"Please, go on," encouraged Beth, "I'd love to hear all about your life, if you wouldn't mind telling me?" she asked hesitantly.

So for the next few hours Michaela related her's and Sully's life story, of how she came out West, of how she fell in love with Sully and of their many joys and hardships before and after their marriage. She told of the trials and tribulations of the Indians, of her first hand experience in seeing them slaughtered and of her deep friendship with Cloud Dancing and Snowbird. And she told them all about her life on the rugged frontier, the adventures and the hardships that she and Sully have endured together. And finally she concluded with this latest adventure and of their quest to find their way back home.

"So now all you have to do is come up with a half-million dollars," Beth asked in mild disbelief, "then just like that you can go back in time a hundred years?"

"This Cheyenne medicine man, Dancing Cloud I think you said his name was," Dorothy asked, "how does he know all of this?"

"He had a vision," Michaela answered

"And you believe in these visions?" Dotty asked skeptically.

"Although I don't understand all of the Cheyenne ways, I have seen more than once the healing powers of the Cheyenne Medican Man. He has even saved my life with his medicine, so yes, I believe that his visions are true," Michaela answered truthfully. She saw the skeptcism in Dottie's eyes and said, "I know this all sounds pretty unbelievable, it does to me also. In fact I still wonder if this isn't all just a dream."

Beth reached over and lightly touched Michaela's arm, "This isn't a dream, Dr. Mike. This is real."

Michaela took a big gulp, "I know, and that's what scares me the most. But I do know that Dancing Cloud had a vision that we were coming and he sent Bobbie's friends to come and get us. It can't all just be a coincidence."

"It's not a coincidence, Dr. Mike," Gracie slowly sat up and wiped the sleep from her eyes. Stretching her arms out she yawned, "Those Spirits know exactly what they're talking about. Dancing Cloud is your only way back," she said with conviction.

"Gracie's right," Michaela glanced from Beth to Dotty. "so tomorrow we're all going to Las Vegas and hopefully Matthew will be able to win us that money," her voice was somewhat shaky.

"I may be able to help, if you'll let me," Beth spoke up and immediately all eyes were on her. "I have a very good friend there, his name is Jack Flicker, he owns one of the big casinos there. Let me call him, tell him you're coming. He can set you up with rooms, and possibly he can even help you win that money."

"How's that?" Gracie was the first to ask.

"Well, I know for a fact that next week there's a big poker game going on in Jack's casino. The pot will be well over a million dollars. And the only way to get into this game is by special invitation. If I talk to Jack maybe he can get Matthew into this game."

Michaela was nervously wringing her hands and Dotty could tell she was looking uncomfortable, "What is it, Dr. Mike, something wrong?" Dotty asked.

"No, not really, it's just I don't like the idea of Matthew gambling again, especially when so much money is involved. And..." her voice trailed off as she looked away.

"And what," Beth gently encouraged.

"And... well, what if he loses. I mean, from what you say these men are professional gamblers and, well Matthew only gambled for a short time and..." Michaela stammered.

Beth smiled at Michaela and then lightly touching her shoulder she said, "Maybe my friend can help there too. Please, will you let me give him a call?" Beth asked.

Sighing, Michaela conceded with a slight nod of her head. "Good, then that's settled, I'll give Jack a call tonight," Beth stated. "I wish I could go with you, but I just can't get away right now," Beth apologized, "I'm in the middle of another project that really needs my attention."

"Oh that's alright, I understand," Michaela answered, "I'm grateful for what you're doing already. We don't expect you to drop everything and follow us on what appears to be some wild goose chase," she smiled half-heartedly.

Dotty cleared her throat and then timidly she asked, "Do you think it would be possible for me to come along with you?" Michaela looked at Dotty puzzled. "I'd like to write an article on the Cheyenne Medicine Man for my paper. I've always been interested in the Indians and learning about their ways." She glanced at Beth and smiled, "That's how Beth and I became such good friends, her interest in the old west and my interest in the Indians. If Dancing Cloud would permit it, I'd like to interview him."

"Well, of course I can't speak for Dancing Cloud," Michaela smiled at Dotty, "but you're more than welcome to come with us, and then you can ask him yourself."

"Thank you, I appreciate that very much," Dotty replied softly.

Soon the men returned from fishing and Gracie and Michaela began to gather up their things. As they were packing Michaela told Sully about Beth's offer to help them and how Dotty wanted to come with them to do an article on Dancing Cloud. Sully looked warily at the two women but silently went about his work.

Dotty and Beth stood up to depart and looking at the group before them Dotty said, "I really must get home if I'm going to go with you in the morning. I need to pack and to take care of a few things before I take off."

Beth leaned down to pick up her backpack and throwing it over her shoulders she turned to Michaela and said, "I'll call Jack tonight and let you know what he says. Gracie already gave me her telephone number. I hope we'll be able to see each other again before you return to Colorado Springs, but if I don't, I wish you all the best."

Beth turned to Sully and extended her hand, "Sully, it was nice to meet you. From what Michaela has told me today, you have a very unique family and some very wonderful friends."

Sully smiled broadly and shaking her hand he replied softly, "That I do. It was nice meeting you also, Miss Sullivan." She returned his smile, "Please, call me Beth," and Sully gave her a slight nod.

Dotty looked at the group surrounding her and then wanting to be certain she asked again, "So I'll meet you at the airport at 8:00 a.m., is that right?"

"That's right," Gracie reiterated. "Our flight doesn't leave until 9:15 but we still need to purchase the tickets so we should probably be there by 8:00."

Beth once again turned to Michaela and giving her a slight hug she said, "I'm glad we got to know each other, even if it was for just a short time. Good luck tomorrow."

Michaela squeezed Beth's shoulders and pulling back she said, "I do hope we'll be able to see each other again. And thank you for all of your help."

Suddenly Beth's eyes lit up with a new thought. "Wait a minute," Beth yelped excitedly, "I've been searching for a new idea for a television series and I've always loved period pieces. This would be perfect, a refined woman doctor from the East, now living on the frontier," she began to ramble on as she contemplated the many possibilities. "She takes in three orphaned children and then falls in love and marries the rugged mountain man. Excellent," she muttered almost to herself.

Sully looks at Beth and shakes his head ruefully but then suddenly Beth grabs Michaela's hand and asks, "Would you mind if I wrote a television show about your life, Dr. Mike? About yours and Sully's."

"My life?" Michaela asked incredulously, "my life is really rather boring, don't you think."

"Not in the least," Beth exclaimed, "there could be so many possibilities and from what you've told me already, I could write for years and years."

Michaela glanced at Sully to gauge his reaction but much to her surprise he said, "Go ahead, why not?" She looked at him quizzically, for that was not at all what she would expect him to say. She waited patiently for him to continue.

Sully put his hands on Michaela's shoulders. "Our life seems to be an open book right now," Sully explained, "so if Beth thinks our lives would be entertainin' to others, if she thinks people would want to watch us on one of those boxes, then I say go ahead, give it a try." He reached up and lightly caressed Michaela's cheek. "Maybe they could even learn something from watching the show," he said, his voice full of pride. "I mean, you always care about people and you're always trying to do the right thing," he spoke softly, "I'm sure there's a lesson to be learned in there somewhere, don't you?"

He turned his head and looked pointedly at Beth and then turning back to Michaela he said, "At least I would hope she'd portray the West how it really was, and tell what really happened to the Indians. Hopefully she won't try to color it any."

"Oh no,I won't," Beth quickly spoke up, "I would want everything to be as historically correct as possible. I'll make sure of that," she promised. "We could call it 'The Adventures of Sully and Dr. Mike', or how about "Sully's Frontier Bride".

Sully looked at Beth and trying to conceal his grin he slowly shook his head, "Let's hope you can come up with something better than that. 'Sully's Frontier Bride'" he mumbled under his breath. Beth looked at him and her lips turning up in a smile she conceded, "Okay, I agree, that was pretty bad."

Turning once again to Michaela, Sully rested his forehead against hers, "But maybe our being here will do some good after all," Sully replied hopefully and gazing into her eyes, he leaned down and lightly brushed her lips.

Michaela parted her lips and for a brief moment they were both lost in the kiss. They were quickly interrupted by Bobbie clearing his throat. "All right you two, no more of that," he teased.

Michaela and Sully quickly pulled apart, Michaela's cheeks now a bright red. "Let's get going," Bobbie spoke up, "we still have a lot of packing to do tonight," and then turning to Beth he said, "we'll keep in touch."

"Good-bye everyone," Beth called as she and Dotty headed back down the path to Paramount Ranch. It was only a fifteen minute hike and they had decided to walk back rather than be driven back to their car. "I'll see everyone in the morning," called Dotty, "8:00 sharp," she yelled over her shoulder as Bobbie put the last of their belongings in the car.

Sully bent down to pick up Katie and then standing up he handed her to Michaela. "I think that's everything," Sully replied as his eyes roamed over the area. He saw Matthew standing next to the car, slightly shaking his head. "Something wrong, Matthew?" Sully asked.

"Nah, nothings wrong," Matthew replied as he helped Dr. Mike into the car, "I was just wondering, with everything that's happened the past few days, what's next?" Sully shrugged his shoulders and replied, "Good question," before climbing into the car and taking his seat next to his wife.

That night as they prepared for bed, Michaela walked up behind Sully and gently placed her hands on his shoulders. "Sully, what's an airport?" she asked as she began to massage his tired muscles.

"An airport, I don't know, never heard of it before," he let out a sigh as he slowly began to relax under his wife's gentle fingers. A few moments later he felt her touches become more sensual as she lightly ran her fingers down his spine. He turned around and put his arms around her waist and his lips lightly brushed her lips. He could feel his desire for her begin to burn within him.

Michaela looked up into Sully's eyes and seeing his hunger she smiled shyly, "Gracie said we were meeting at the airport tomorrow morning. I just wondered what an airport was?" her hands continued their previous movements as they crept lower and lower. Sully gulped as her hand touched a highly erotic spot and gazing into her eyes, he suddenly swept her up into his arms and laying her down in the middle of the waterbed, he whispered, "Can we talk about this in the morning," before hungrily seizing her lips with his.

All thoughts of airports vanished from her head as Michaela willingly surrendered herself into her husband's arms. Pulling back breathless, she looked up into her husband's burning eyes and whispered teasingly, "You're awfully eager tonight." Sully returned her smile and nibbling at her ear he replied, "It's all in the name of science."

"Science?" she asked as she entwined her fingers in his hair, her soft lips trailing hot kisses down his chest.

"Uh-huh, remember Bobbie's theory, you said it still needed further testing," Sully panted heavily as he eased his hand underneath her nightgown.

"So I did," Michaela answered huskily, as her body quivered from his touch. Lifting up slightly, she allowed Sully to raise her nightgown and lift it off over her head. His mouth once again found hers for a fervent kiss.

Sully's arousal was evident as Michaela pressed her body snuggly against his. Her heart was pounding rapidly and gazing into his eyes, she smiled wickedly, "Well, if it's in the name of science, who am I to argue." And with that she quickly pulled the covers up over their heads and as she slithered down lower and kissed his warm flesh, she heard Sully moan, "Oh God how I love science."

"I am not getting on one of those things," Michaela cried out for the last time, her arms wrapped protectively around Katie. They had been trying for the last ten minutes to convince Michaela that flying in an airplane was perfectly safe. "Come on, Dr. Mike," Gracie pleaded once more, "thousands of people fly on airplanes everyday, it's just as safe as getting into a car or crossing the street."

Michaela looked at her doubtfully and then Bobbie chimed in, "That's right, Dr. Mike, and this is so much faster than driving a car all the way there. We'll be there in less than an hour. If we drove our car we wouldn't get there until sometime tonight."

"Come on, Ma," Matthew pleaded. "We only got until Friday and we can't waste time driving all day. Besides, it's not like you to be afraid of trying something new."

"I don't know," Michaela again hesitated, "It just doesn't seem natural for people to fly. I mean, what's from stopping that thing from falling out of the sky and killing all of us."

"That's not going to happen, Dr. Mike," Dotty spoke reassuringly as she also tried to convince Michaela that an airplane was a perfectly safe way to travel. "After all, this is the 20th century and we've come a long way since horses and buggies."

Michaela watched as another jet plane took off on the runway. Shaking her head, she covered Katie's little ears with the palm of her hands. "No, I'm not doing it," she reiterated loudly over the deafening noise of the jet.

This time it was Sully who stepped up to her and gently placing his hand on her elbow, he quietly led her away from the crowd. Out of ear range, he spoke softly, "Michaela, I know you're scared, so am I, but this is the only way we can get there and back in time. You wanna get home, don't you?"

"Of course I do," she muttered as her eyes welled up with tears. Sully put his arm around her shoulder and pulled her and Katie close to his chest. "It's just... I don't know, everything seems to be happening so fast and my mind seems so muddled," Michaela fretted. "I just want to close my eyes and wake up in my own bed."

"And I wanna wake up right beside ya," Sully whispered softly, his hand moving soothingly up and down her back. "But first we have to get home, and the only way to do that is to get on one of those planes and get to Las Vegas. We've put our trust in these people so far, so how 'bout it?" he flashed her a slight smile.

Michaela looked up at Sully and attempted a smile, "All right, for you I'll do it, but that still doesn't mean I like the idea," she conceded. "Come on then," Sully replied as he kissed her cheek, "let's go get our tickets."

As they were waiting in line to purchase their tickets, Danny Simmons and his girlfriend Nikki joined them. "Good morning," greeted Danny as he walked up to the group that was now standing in the ticket line. "Morning, Danny," Bobbie extended his hand, "Nikki, it's nice to see you again."

Sully turned around to face Danny and he too extended his hand for a handshake. "I want to thank you again for all you're doing for us," Sully told him and then turning to look at Matthew he said, "Danny, Nikki, I'd like you to meet our oldest son, Matthew." At their questioning looks, Sully explained, "We found him at the beach on Saturday. Somehow he woke up here just the same as we did."

"Well, Matthew, it's good to have you here," Danny greeted as he shook his hand, "and don't you worry, we'll get all of you back home. He then turned his attention to Michaela and looking at her he reached out and lightly touched her arm. "Michaela, it's good to see you again," Danny spoke in a soft voice.

"It's good to see you again, also," Michaela answered politely, feeling slightly uncomfortable as his hand lingered on her arm. She also noticed his use of her Christian name. Sully apparently noticed this also and sideling up to Michaela he slid his arm around her waist and gave her a slight squeeze. "We really appreciate what you and Nikki are doing for us," Michaela placed her hand atop of Sully's.

"Ah, it's no problem, really," Danny muttered as Nikki stepped up and placed her hand in his, "we just hope that everything works out okay for all of you."

Nikki smiled at the two of them and said, "I told my Great Grandfather all about the two of you and he is very anxious to meet you."

"Well, we're anxious to meet him also," Sully returned.

"And now your son is here also?" Nikki asked, as she eyed Matthew curiously.

"Yes, it's incredible, isn't it," Michaela answered as she smiled at her son.

"Next, please," came a voice from behind the counter. As Michaela and Sully stepped up to the counter they were greeted by a tall and lanky man, his features almost comical looking. He had big bulging eyes and long sideburns that tapered out at the end and his dark hair was combed and neatly slicked back. His big smile was warm and friendly and when he spoke his voice was sincere. "May I help you," he asked.

"Yes," Sully read the man's nametag on his shirt, 'Mr. Harry Ding' it read. "Mr. Ding, I'd like to buy four airplane tickets to Las Vegas please. Three adults and one baby."

Mr. Ding looked at the infant in Michaela's arms. "If you hold your baby in your lap you don't have to purchase a ticket for her. She can travel free," the ticket teller told them.

"Alright, thank you, we'll do that," Sully replied.

"And when would you like to depart?" the man behind the desk asked.

"On the next plane," Sully answered, "We need to get to Las Vegas as quickly as possible, and our friends told us this was the quickest way."

"Well, let's see," Mr. Ding pondered, "the next available flight leaves in 45 minutes. I can get you all seats on that flight if you wish?"

"Yes, that would be fine," Sully returned. He looked over at his wife and saw that she was nervously biting her lower lip and her color had turned rather pale. "Are you okay?" he spoke softly. "Yes, yes, I'm fine," Michaela repeated as she watched through the glass window as another jet took off the runway.

Mr. Ding picked up on her nervousness and leaning over the counter he asked, "Are you a little nervous ma'am, your first flight?" Michaela shook her head, "Maybe a little," she replied sheepishly, "are you sure those things are safe?"

His broad smile lit up his face. "Don't you worry ma'am, they're perfectly safe. Why I've flown in them hundreds of times myself."

His words did little to dispel Michaela's fear. "Thank you," Michaela replied meekly as she shifted a sleeping Katie in her arms.

"You have a beautiful little girl there," Mr. Ding spoke softly as he admired the sleeping baby from afar, "What's her name?"

"Her name's Katie," Michaela proudly answered as she softly stroked her little girl's head.

"That's a pretty name," the teller replied, "how old is she?"

"She's six month's old," answered Michaela, "Do you have any children, Mr. Ding?"

"Yes, I have a little girl also, she's almost two," Mr. Ding beamed with pride. "Her name's Tabitha."

"Such a pretty and unusual name," remarked Sully with a twinkle in his eye. He leaned over close to Michaela and whispered, "Just like someone else I know."

"Yes, well my wife's name is Samantha and she was an avid fan of 'Bewitched'," Mr. Ding explained. "From the day she found out she was pregnant my wife told me that if we had a little girl she was going to be named Tabitha." Neither Sully nor Michaela had any idea what "Bewitched" was, but they both thought better of it to ask.

Mr. Ding finished inputting all of the information into his computer. "Alright, that's three tickets to Las Vegas," he stated with a smile. "That comes to a total of $987.63. Will you be paying by check or credit card?"

"Check or credit card?" Sully had a bewildered look on his face, "can't I just pay cash?"

"Cash?" Mr. Ding asked with a somewhat shocked expression on his face. "Um, well yes, of course, cash," he stumbled over his words. He then looked at the couple standing opposite him and explained, "I'm sorry, it's just that we very seldom have anyone pay with cash. I mean most people don't carry that much money on them. They usually just pay with a credit card."

"What's a credit card," Michaela asked. After seeing the puzzled look on the man's face, Sully gently pulled Michaela away from the counter and then said, "She's only joking," he cast a quick glance at his wife, "we just don't have any is all." Sully then counted out the appropriate amount of money and handed it to the teller.

After everyone had purchased their tickets, their small group retreated to one of the terminals where they would wait until their flight number was called. Sully, Michaela and Matthew were all amazed at how large the airport was and all of the many different types of people that passed by. Michaela was sitting in a chair with Katie in her arms and Dotty and Gracie were on either side of her. Michaela leaned over to Gracie and whispered shyly, "I'm going to have to feed Katie before too long. Is there somewhere I can go in private?"

"There really isn't anywhere to go except the Ladies Restroom, and that's not really very comfortable, for you or Katie," Gracie was explaining. Dotty picked up on their conversation and leaning close to Michaela she said, "Dr. Mike, if I may be so bold, if you could hold off on feeding Katie until we get on the airplane, it would be better for her."

"Why's that," Michaela asked.

"Well, when an airplane takes off, the pressure sometimes will cause your ears to pop," Dotty explained. "Chewing a stick of gum will help to alleviate the pressure, but for an infant the sucking will have the same effect."

"A stick of gum, what's that?" Michaela turned to Dotty and asked.

Dotty smiled at Michaela as she tried to explain what chewing gum was. Instead she opened her purse and after digging for a few moments she pulled out a pack of chewing gum. Handing a piece to Michaela, she said, "You unwrap it and just chew on it." Unwrapping the stick of gum, Michaela popped it into her mouth.

"And that's it, I just chew on it," Michaela asked. "What do I do with it when I'm done chewing, swallow it?"

"No, don't swallow it, just throw it away," Gracie piped in. "I usually wrap mine up in a small piece of tissue or other type of paper and then throw it away."

"Well, it does have a pleasant taste to it," Michaela concluded after chewing the gum for several seconds.

"I have a piece for Sully and Matthew also if they'd like to try it," Dotty stated. "And like I said, it really does help when you're flying but Katie is too small to chew gum, so if you nurse her instead..,"

Taking the offered sticks of gum, Michaela answered, "Thank you, I'll make sure they get it before we take off but I couldn't possibly nurse Katie on an airplane, not with so many people around." As Katie began to whimper, Michaela looked anxiously around the airport looking for a deserted corner. "I think I'll just try to find a nice quiet spot somewhere and nurse her before we take off."

"That may be a little hard to do, Michaela," Gracie spoke up, "as you can see, this airport is pretty busy. Maybe you should wait until we board the plane."

"No, no, I couldn't possibly, I just wouldn't feel comfortable, not with so many people around. No, Katie and I will go somewhere, we'll find a spot. If you'll excuse us?" Michaela started to rise.

"Where ya going, Michaela?" Sully approached her as she started to walk away from the group. "I need to find somewhere to feed Katie," she answered as she shifted a squirming Katie to her other arm. Sully looked around the airport and shrugging his shoulders he said, "Here? That might be kind of hard, it's pretty busy in here, Michaela." But after seeing the look of frustration on her face, he added, "Don't worry, we'll find someplace."

After searching hopelessly for a secluded spot, Sully approached the teller behind the ticket counter, "Excuse me, Mr. Ding, I was wondering if you might be able to help us?"

Mr. Ding looked up from behind the counter and seeing the couple he smiled, "Well hello, again. What can I do for you?"

Sully leaned in close to the man and in a hushed whisper he asked, "I was wondering if you have somewhere my wife might go to feed our daughter. She's still new at this and we could really use someplace a little more private." As he spoke Katie let out a wail. "And I don't think our little girl is going to wait much longer."

Mr. Ding's face lit up and a big smile crossed his face. "I understand, sir. My wife went through the same thing with our little one." He turned his head as if looking around him and then in a low voice he answered, "I'm really not supposed to do this, but we have a break room in the back for our employees. I'll let you use that."

"That's real nice of ya mister, but I don't want to get ya in any kind of trouble," Sully replied. He turned around to see his wife gently bouncing Katie up and down, desperately trying to quiet her.

"Ah, don't worry about it, and please, the name's Harry. Come on, I'll show you the way," Mr. Ding waved his hand at them. After showing them to a small room in the back, Mr. Ding turned to depart. "Whenever you're through, just come back out. Just remember your flight leaves in 30 minutes," Mr. Ding reminded them.

Continue...