- Part 26
The next morning, breakfast at the Sully homestead threatened to be almost as chaotic as supper the evening before. Gordon had nursed, then spit up more than usual and was refusing Sully's every effort to feed him his cereal. Usually good-natured, this morning he was whiny and fretful. Michaela had burned the bread, the eggs were, as Brian put it, "chewy" and the coffee was weak. Katie was banging her spoon on the table singing her own version of "Buffalo Gals" at the top of her lungs. Michaela, who felt a headache coming on, refrained from quietening her, figuring it was better just to try to keep the peace, fragile as it was.

Matthew tromped in with the milk saying, "Peter's here, he needs to talk to ya".

"I'll go" Michaela said quickly, thankful Sully was still busy with Gordon. When she came back in, she began to bustle about nervously, picking up serving dishes, scraping plates, clattering silverware.

Sully, giving up on feeding Gordon, rose and went to get a cloth with which to clean him up. He touched Michaela's shoulder. "Hey, slow down" he said gently. "Is everythin' all right?"

She turned to face him. "Sully, we need to talk" she glanced at the others then back at Sully, "...alone".

"Sure" Sully said, puzzled. "Can it wait 'til we have lunch today?" Seeing her look he said, "We were meeting for lunch today?"

Michaela heaved a sigh. "Oh Sully, I forgot. With everything else that's been happening ... but no, I really need to speak with you here, now. If I can get Gordon to nap, perhaps the boys could take Katie ..."

"You go put Gordon down" Sully told her. "Matthew, Brian, your ma and I need ta talk privately. Could you take Katie for a little walk?"

Brian and Matthew looked at each other briefly. "Sure, Pa" Brian said. "Ya wanna go for a walk, Katie?"

"No!" Katie said firmly.

"C'mon li'l sister" Matthew coaxed. "Maybe we'll see some deer".

Storm clouds began gathering on Katie's face. "NO!!"

Sully squatted down in front of her. "Kates, remember what we talked about last night, 'bout gettin' wildflowers for your ma to tell her you're sorry about breakin' the plate? Matthew and Brian know where there are some real pretty ones ..." he raised his eyes to his sons, silently signaling them.

"Uh, sure Katie, we'll get a real nice bouquet" Matthew said and Brian nodded.

Katie thought. "Bouquet" she tried the new word. "Okay" She hopped down from the table, then giggled. "Bouquet. Okay." she chanted, liking the sound of the words. She wiggled as Matthew wrapped her shawl around her then she took his hand. "Bye, Papa" she waved.

Sully nodded his thanks to Brian and Matthew and waved to Katie. "Bye, Kates!"

"Bouquet, okay!" Katie sang.

"Bouquet, okay" Matthew echoed her, then to Brian, "C'mon, little brother".

As they clattered out the door, Sully heard Brian saying, "I told ya ta quit callin' me that!"

A short while later Sully and Michaela sat across from each other at the table, he with a cup of coffee, she with willow bark tea for her headache. "I hardly know where to begin" Michaela said nervously.

Sully looked at her, perplexed. "Michaela, I ain't got a lotta time ..."

"I know" she replied, her eyes filling.

"Hey" Sully said, moving around to her side of the table. He put an arm around her and placed his large hand over her small ones. "Ya know ya can tell me anything, don't ya?"

She looked into his worried blue eyes, so loving and caring and took the plunge. "Sully, when I stopped to get the mail yesterday, Horace ... well, he was acting very strangely".

Sully grinned. "What was he doin'?"

"Well, he kept talking about feeling 'pale' and about needing to go out for a 'breath of air'. Then he waved his pad in front of my face, the one he writes his messages on, slammed it down in front of me and stalked out of the building".

"He wanted ya to see what was on the pad" Sully guessed.

"You figured it out more quickly than I did" Michaela admitted, handing a small piece of paper to Sully. She had asked Peter to return the message to her this morning. "Please don't mention this or where I got it to anyone else".

Sully scanned the paper with a puzzled air. "What does this mean? What's Preston got ta do with some judge?"

"I ... we're not sure yet. I showed this to Peter and he did some checking. He ... Judge Roland is one of the judges who has replaced Judge Winthrop".

"Replaced?"

"Apparently he's retired".

"So he ain't comin' back next month, this other judge is" Sully was struggling to understand.

"Perhaps. Peter says there are two judges on this circuit, now. He would prefer Judge Spenser. It seems Judge Roland is ... unfriendly ... to those sympathetic to the Indian cause".

"Unfriendly? This telegram talks about 'all convictions'. If this judge comes ..." he left the sentence unfinished.

"Sully, Peter's not sure of anything, yet" Michaela was struggling to remain calm.

"Can't he try ta get that other judge ta come?"

"It .. it seems someone with a lot of influence is pressing to have Judge Roland appointed to this case".

"Preston" Sully said grimly. Then to Michaela's surprise tears came to his eyes and his arm tightened around her. "Michaela, I'm so sorry" he said brokenly.

"Sully, what is it?" Michaela asked, alarmed.

"The other day I ... Preston was needlin' me again an' I just lost my temper. It ain't so bad when he just goes on about me, but he started talkin' about you an' I ... I had words with him. This is my fault. He's probably doin' it ta get back at me".

"Sully, Preston has a long list of grievances against both of us that has built up over the years. Remember how angry he was two years ago when the mortgage was paid off and he couldn't foreclose?"

Sully nodded. "He's resented me ever since I told him I wouldn't build his homestead when he first asked".

"Exactly! And I endorsed Jake over him for mayor ... There are so many reasons he would be angry with both of us so you can't blame yourself for this. What did you say to him, anyway?"

Sully sighed and shook his head. "It seems so silly now. I don't really wanta get into it, but I just told him that our relationship was a professional one and I'd appreciate it if he called you 'Dr. Quinn' 'steada 'Michaela' all the time".

"There's nothing wrong with that. I'd appreciate it, too but I never felt able to tell him. I never liked his familiarity. You did me a favor!"

Sully looked at her guiltily. "It was the way I said it, Michaela. I ... I was kinda threatening."

"Well, what's done is done. What kind of man is Preston, anyway, that he would do something like this that could get you thrown into prison or even executed no matter what you've said or done to him?"

"A hurtin' man, Michaela" Sully said quietly. "A man who wants so bad ta be on top that he'll do anything ta get there. Only ..."

"Only what?"

"Only no matter what he does, he can't get there".

"You sound as if you feel sorry for him" Michaela said, surprised.

"Maybe I do" Sully was pensive for a moment then abruptly he changed the subject. "I've gotta get ta work, Michaela. I'm late as it is".

"And Preston will be waiting for you, pocket-watch in hand" Michaela said. "Sully - Peter and Roberta want us to come for supper tonight to discuss the situation". Seeing that he was about to object she rushed on, "I believe it's very important. We need to know where we stand".

Sully nodded resignedly. "All right. But with goin' in late and havin' ta quit early, I'm afraid we'll have ta have our lunch together another time. I won't be able ta make the time ta come in today".

Michaela was disappointed but she nodded. "I understand, Sully. And Sully, I'm sorry I didn't tell you about this last night. I ... I just wanted to check with Peter about what it might mean before burdening you with it".

Sully nodded and didn't say anything but she could see a flash of hurt in his intense blue gaze. Perhaps she shouldn't have gone to Peter first - should have allowed Sully to be the one to decide what to do. He grabbed his jacket, then before reaching for his tool belt, he reached for her. "You have a good day, Michaela, an' don't work too hard". He put a finger under her chin and smiling gently he said, "At least ya won't haveta cook tonight!"

"At least you won't have to put up with my cooking" Michaela replied dryly, pulling away.

Sully buckled on his belt and pulled on his work gloves. "Like I told ya," he said, " 's not the food that keeps me comin' back". He kissed her swiftly then headed out the door, turning as he did for one last glimpse of his wife.

Michaela stood watching him go, wondering why she felt so much like crying.

- Part 27
By noon that day Michaela was ready for a break. She had arrived at the clinic shortly after 10:00 and had found people waiting for her. It had been nearly non-stop since then. She had treated the usual headaches, coughs, fevers, cuts and bruises and, what was most disturbing, several cases of a rather virulent stomach virus. She had given out more paregoric today than she had in the last several months. Fortunately it did not appear that any type of poisoning was the cause. She recommended that those so afflicted stay close to home and take regular sips of chamomile tea both to calm their stomachs and to keep them from becoming dehydrated. Finally she saw the last waiting patient and turned the sign on the door to "closed". She had promised Sully to take a full hour for lunch on the days she worked over the noon hour. For once she was very glad to comply.

She had been thinking about picking up some lunch at Grace's and taking it out to Sully. She knew he was busy but he had to eat sometime. He had been so involved with feeding Gordon this morning that she wasn't sure he'd even eaten any breakfast. If only she could be sure what his reaction would be. He had been so adamant about her not coming out there ... Her thoughts were interrupted by a knock on the door. Sighing she rose and went to open it.

Andrew stood framed in the doorway, holding a tray covered with a blue-checked cloth. When he saw Michaela he reddened. "Forgive my boldness, Michaela" he said haltingly. "There is a matter I need to discuss with you and I thought we might talk about it over lunch". He gestured at the tray with one hand, almost dumping it in the process. He managed to rescue it and his blush deepened several shades. "Of course, if now is not an opportune time ..." he went on, seeing her face.

"No ... no, come in" Michaela said, recovering from her initial surprise and opening the door wider to admit Andrew. She cleared some books and papers off the desk and Andrew set the tray down, removing the cloth with a flourish. There was a small tureen of succulent chicken soup, only a little of which had sloshed, some of Grace's best bread and butter, a jug of cider and gingerbread for dessert. As Andrew set out bowls and spoons and began ladling the fragrant soup, Michaela sighed inwardly. Lunch with Sully would have to wait. It was probably just as well.

They made small talk while they ate, keeping away from medical topics that were not exactly table conversation. "I must say" Andrew commented as he wiped his mouth, "Grace's cooking only seems to improve with the years".

"Yes. This really hit the spot. Thank you, Andrew" Michaela replied. "What was it you needed to discuss with me?"

"Ah, yes. Well" Andrew seemed to be having trouble getting started. "You... you know my uncle is a doctor in Boston" he began.

"Yes" Michaela said encouragingly.

"Yes. Well. It seems there's going to be a large medical conference in Philadelphia next week and my uncle was hoping I would attend with him. I ... I haven't seen him in about three years. I also thought, that is, I was hoping" a blush had crept up Andrew's cheeks again. He squared his shoulders and steadied himself. "There will be several talks for medical students and with Colleen being right there ... well, I know she'd love to hear some of the speakers and thought I might offer my services as an escort ... "

Michaela's brow furrowed. "Well, you certainly don't need my permission for that, Andrew. I know Colleen would be delighted to hear the talks".

"Of course. Actually ... I am stating this very badly ... what I need is a favor from you, Michaela. I know it is a lot to ask, but Preston will agree to let me go only if you will consent to fill in for me at the Chateau Clinic".

"Oh, Andrew, I don't know ..."

Andrew held up a hand. "I know you have curtailed your hours at your own clinic to accommodate your role as a mother. If you will give the Chateau 2 hours 2 mornings a week while I am gone, I am sure that will satisfy Preston". Michaela wasn't sure at all, and, seeing her hesitation Andrew went on, "There really isn't that much to do". He gave a small, embarrassed grin. "Preston doesn't put up with more than imaginary illnesses at his clinic. You will probably not have to do much more than cluck your tongue sympathetically, recommend mild exercise and dispense bottles of Preston's tonic". Michaela looked a little startled at what seemed to be an edge of bitterness in Andrew's voice. He let out a puff of breath and said, "Michaela, I know you do not approve of the way Preston manages his clinic, and frankly, I am beginning to be somewhat disillusioned myself. This is certainly not what I envisioned when I became a doctor. Catering to rich hypochondriacs is not my idea of a successful practice, no matter how much I am being paid to do so".

Michaela smiled sympathetically. "The conference sounds like a marvelous opportunity. I expect I could manage two mornings a week 'catering' to Preston's 'hypochondriacs'. But it would have to be with the understanding that any emergencies would take precedence over my being there. Unless of course," she amended, "the emergency was there".

Andrew chuckled. "Preston says there are no emergencies at his clinic. Michaela, I cannot tell you how grateful I am that you have agreed to help me out in this. I plan to leave early Monday and I expect to be gone about three weeks, including travel time. I will, of course, communicate by telegram should I find myself needing to stay longer. I realise that will be perilously close to the time when Judge Winthrop will be returning to complete Sully's trial and you will have other things on your mind".

"Yes, that's true" Michaela did not feel it necessary to tell Andrew about their potential problem with judges. "Well, if need be, we can wire Dr. Bernard or Dr. Cassidy to fill in for a few days".

"My thought exactly!" Andrew beamed. "Well, it seems it's all settled. I will tell Preston that you will be filling in and you can work it out between you which days would be most expedient for both parties".

Michaela nodded, her hands folded in front of her. She was filled with a nagging dread about the whole thing but she knew it would be a great experience for Andrew and Colleen. She also knew Preston and if her filling in for Andrew was the only way he would let Andrew go, so be it.

Andrew, meanwhile, was stacking the dishes and cutlery, chattering away about his plans. He picked up the lunch dishes then turned and extended a hand to Michaela. This time it was she who rescued the tray, grabbing the edge of it just in time. Andrew smiled and embarrassed thanks and turned quickly to leave.

Michaela shut the door after him then leaned back against it with a sigh. She hoped she hadn't just made a great mistake.

- Part 28
Matthew sat on the homestead porch reading a law book he had borrowed from Peter. Gordon snoozed in his lap, occasionally emitting a tiny snore. Bonnie Taylor was pulling Katie around the yard in her little wagon that Sully had made and Sam and Brian sat on the steps talking together. Michaela and Sully had gone to the Taylors for supper and Matthew had agreed to supervise a picnic supper at the homestead for the younger members of the two families. Michaela had brought home a basket of Grace's fried chicken to make supper easy and everyone except Katie had eaten heartily. Katie claimed she wasn't hungry and Matthew let it go as he figured the little girl was probably excited about having Bonnie there to play with her.

Brian and Sam watched Bonnie wheel a squealing Katie around the yard. Every once in awhile Bonnie would glance their way with a smile. "My sister's really sweet on you" Sam remarked.

Brian reddened but said nothing.

"You miss Sarah?" Sam asked curiously.

"I guess. She likes her new Pa and Denver ain't that far. She writes me sometimes."

Sam grinned. "Did you ever kiss her?"

Brian's blush deepened. "Yeah" he said at last.

Sam leaned closer and whispered, "Ever do anything else?"

"What d' ya mean?"

"You know - like - touch her or something?"

Brian looked askance at him. "No!" he said, embarrassed.

"You don't have to say it like that. I was just wonderin'" They sat in silence for a few minutes then Sam ventured, "You ever wonder what goes on upstairs at night when the door's closed? You know, between your folks?"

Brian looked at Sam to see if he was serious, then confided, "I walked in on 'em once".

"No! What happened?"

"It was right after they got married. Ma was supposed ta help me with an essay for school but she didn't come down for breakfast. I went up and knocked on their door but there was no answer. I figured she overslept so I went in."

"What were they doing?" Sam asked eagerly.

Brian shrugged. "They were kissin'."

"Just kissin'?"

"I guess so. They stopped as soon as I came in."

"Did they have their clothes on?"

To Brian's relief, Bonnie led a crying Katie over to the porch, effectively ending the conversation. Once Bonnie had helped her negotiate the stairs past the boys, Katie ran sobbing to Matthew.

"What's the matter, Katie?" Matthew asked, putting his book down. He reached for his sister with one hand, taking a firmer hold on Gordon with the other.

"Tummy hurts!" Katie sobbed.

"Prob'ly 'cause ya didn't eat any supper" Matthew said. "The chicken's all gone, but I'll get ya some milk. I'll be just a few minutes 'cause I wanna put Gordon ta bed, first."

"I'll help you" Bonnie offered. She took Katie's hand again and followed Matthew inside.

"So what d' ya think of my sister?" Sam asked.

"She's a good kid" Brian said non-noncommittally.

"I think she wants you to ask her to the 4th of July party" Sam said. "Do you think you will?"

Brian shrugged. "Dunno" July 4th was the last thing on his mind.

Bonnie returned with Katie in tow. She settled her on the bench with cup of milk and a biscuit. Katie slurped the milk and took a big bite of biscuit. "Tummy still hurts" she observed, then threw up all over the porch.

"Eeewwwww!" Brian and Sam said in unison, then Sam added, "Little kids sure are disgusting!"

Bonnie, who was trying to comfort a wailing Katie turned on her brother. "And you don't think it was disgusting when you were the one throwing up when Brian brought you home that time in the middle of the night ..."

"Quiet!" Brian hissed looking toward the door.

"Shut up" Sam said at the same time. Matthew might be Brian's brother but he was still a grown-up.

Matthew emerged from the house just then. "What's going on?"

"Katie threw up" three voices informed him.

Matthew observed the mess and a miserable Katie and rolled his eyes. At least he didn't have the Taylor twins to contend with. Fortunately, they'd stayed home. He picked Katie up and cuddled her close. "Let's go get ya cleaned up and inta bed, little sister. Brian, would you get a bucket and mop and clean up the porch, please?"

Brian looked at Matthew incredulously. "Me? Why can't Ma clean it up when she gets home?"

Matthew sighed. "Because Ma has enough to do. Because she and Sully left me in charge and I say you do it!"

Brian gave Matthew a black look and went to get the cleaning supplies.

"I'll help you, Brian" Bonnie offered as Brian brushed past her. Brian didn't respond.

Sam grinned. "Why don't you forget about him, Bonnie? He thinks you're just a kid."

"He does not" Bonnie retorted.

"Does too. He said so."

"What did he really say?" Bonnie asked with narrowed eyes, knowing her brother.

Sam laughed at the look on her face. "All right. He said you're a 'good kid' but that proves he thinks you're a kid."

"I'm not" a kid. I'm almost 12" Bonnie insisted.

Just then Brian banged out the door carrying a wooden bucket and a mop. He set the bucket down on the porch floor and surveyed Katie's mess with distaste. "Here, Brian, let me help" Bonnie began, coming up behind him and reaching for the mop. Brian, who had been in his own little world, turned around in surprise kicking over the bucket in the process. The water sloshed all over the porch - everywhere, it seemed, except where the mess was. "Oops! Sorry, Brian" Bonnie said contritely.

"Why don't you watch what you're doing!" Brian said crossly. He wasn't feeling very well himself, especially after seeing Katie being sick, and his temper was short. "That was th' lasta the hot water. Now I gotta heat more an' it'll take forever!"

"I'm sorry, Brian. I said I'd do it" Bonnie said, near tears. She'd never heard Brian talk that way.

Brian knew he was acting mean, but he couldn't seem to help it. He snatched the broom out of Bonnie's reach saying "Just leave it. An' quit hangin' around me all the time. I already got a shadow."

Bonnie's mouth opened in surprise. Sam grinned at her and gave an exaggerated shrug. "All right for you, Brian Cooper!" she cried, stamping her foot. "You'll be sorry, you just wait and see!" She flounced into the house.

Brian sighed and rested his forehead on the mop handle. Sam patted him on the shoulder. "Now you've done it!" he said.

"What d'ya mean?" Brian asked wearily. He wished his head would stop pounding.

"Believe me, you don't want to get my sister mad at you!" Sam said with the voice of experience.

As Brian picked up the bucket and went in to get more water, they heard the sound of wagons approaching the homestead. "They're here" Sam remarked. He ran into the yard as the wagon bearing Dr. Mike and Sully, followed by his father's wagon pulled up.

"Hi, Sam" Peter said as he jumped down from the wagon. "Where is everybody? You kids have fun?"

"Katie threw up," Sam said importantly. "Everyone's inside."

"What happened?" a worried-looking Michaela ran over as soon as Sully had lifted her down from the wagon.

"She didn't eat dinner" Sam related, "then she said her stomach hurt. Matthew figured she was just hungry and got her some milk and a biscuit and then she just threw up!"

"She probably has that virus that's been going around town" Michaela turned anxious eyes to Sully.

"I'll take care o' the wagon. You see to Katie" he said quietly, as he began unhitching the horse.

Michaela hurried up the steps as Brian emerged with a fresh bucket of water. Seeing what he was up to, she gave him a quick hug. "Oh Brian, you're an angel!" Brian squirmed a little in embarrassment, then set about his task.

Matthew stepped outside and gave Michaela a quick hug. "Katie's in bed asleep, Dr. Mike" he said.

"Thank you, Matthew" Michaela replied gratefully. "I'll just go check on her."

Matthew nodded and went over to retrieve the law book he'd abandoned in the confusion. "Peter" he said, descending the steps to shake hands with the lawyer. "Got a minute? I've got some questions about somethin' I was readin' in this book."

"Sure, Matthew" Peter said, then turning to his son, "Sam, go find Bonnie and tell her it's time to get ready to go" then he walked with Matthew to the other side of the porch to discuss law.

As Sam approached the door to the homestead, Bonnie peered out, then stepped onto the porch. "Father says to get ready to go" Sam informed her.

"All right," she said. "I just want to ask Mr. Sully something. Is he in the barn?"

Sam looked at her curiously. "I guess so. What do you need to talk to him about?"

"None of your business" she replied haughtily, then making sure she wasn't observed by anyone else, she trotted through the corral and over to the barn. The door creaked loudly as she entered and Sully looked up from the horse he was tending.

"Hey, Bonnie" he smiled when he saw who it was.

"Hello, Mr. Sully" she replied, suddenly shy.

"Why don't ya just call me Sully" he said. "Everyone else does." Bonnie reddened and looked pleased as Sully went on, "I guess ya were a big help tonight with Katie. She really looks forward to your visits."

"I like her, too. She's so sweet!" Bonnie smiled.

"Ya got somethin' ya wanted ta talk ta me about?"

Bonnie nodded, then hesitated, not sure how to begin. "It's ... it's about Brian" she ventured. "He and Sam, well they've been ..."

"Whoa, wait a minute" Sully held up a hand and walked over to where Bonnie was standing. He squatted a little so he could look her in the face. "Are you gonna tell me somethin' that Brian doesn't want me ta know?"

"Well, I guess so, but see, he and Sam have been ..."

"Hold it" Sully said. "If this is somethin' I should be hearin' from Brian, I'd rather not hear it from you. Do ya understand that?"

"Brian's not gonna tell you" Bonnie said almost scornfully.

"Maybe not. But ya gotta think about why it is you wanna tell me. Did you two have a falling out?" Sully asked perceptively.

Bonnie shrugged but dropped her eyes.

"There's a big difference between tellin' me somethin' because ya care about Brian and tellin' me 'cause ya wanna get him in trouble. If Brian's havin' problems I'd rather he came ta me himself." Bonnie looked up at Sully and then down again. "Hey," Sully said, "I really don't think ya wanna do this, do ya?" Bonnie shrugged again and looked away. "I think your Pa's waitin' ta take ya home" he said gently, placing a hand on her shoulder. "It's late, we don't want you gettin' sick, too" he smiled at her. Suddenly embarrassed, she shrugged off his hand and bolted. Sully looked after her for a moment then returned to settling the stock for the night.

Bonnie tore across the yard then slowed to a walk as she neared the house. Her father and Matthew were deep in conversation on one side of the porch, while on the other Brian swabbed away while Sam sat in the chair Matthew had occupied earlier. She climbed the stairs then hesitated, thinking about what Sully had said to her. Did she really want to get Brian in trouble? She waited to catch Brian's eye when he turned toward her but when he saw her he felt embarrassed by their earlier interchange and, not knowing how to act, he deliberately turned his back on her. Stung, she made up her mind. She'd talk to Dr. Mike. Dr. Mike would listen to her. She'd probably be very interested in hearing what had really ailed Sam the other day. Brian would probably have to do extra chores for a month. As she headed inside, Peter called, "Bonnie, Sam, time to go!"

"I've just got to tell Dr. Mike something about Katie" she called, and about Brian she muttered under her breath, as she went in search of Michaela.

- Part 29
Michaela bustled about the bedroom, the valley between her brows deepening as she thought about the day's events. She felt another headache coming on. Perhaps Sully would make her some tea when he got in from doing the chores. She wondered how he was doing. Dinner had been a very stressful experience despite Roberta's excellent stew and Peter's attempts to make things go well for them.

Michaela had finally asked him outright "Do we have anything to worry about?" She had always assumed that if Sully lived up to his end of the bargain and completed his sentence in a well and timely manner that he would be declared a free man with the charge of treason no longer hanging over him. Now Peter was telling them it was more complicated than that, that things had been left more open-ended. That the judge could very well sentence Sully further, a fear that Sully had held from the beginning but she had dismissed. Judge Winthrop had liked Sully, had respected him, she knew that. But Judge Winthrop would not be the one coming and the one appointed to the case might very well have reason to want to rid the world of one Byron Sully. And he'd have the backing of most of the government and the U.S. Army to do it.

She finished turning down the bed and moved to the wardrobe to change into her night shift. Gordon was quiet and with any luck would sleep through the night as he had been more and more often lately. Katie was a little flushed but seemed to be sleeping soundly. Michaela had toyed with the idea of moving her into their room for the night but decided against disturbing her. If they kept both bedroom doors open she'd be able to hear her if she cried. As she sat at the dressing table brushing her hair, tears came to her eyes. Peter had told them not to panic. At the same time, he had emphasized the seriousness of their plight, stressing that Sully must complete all the work he'd been given and do it well and on time. Sully had paled visibly when Peter said this and Michaela meant to ask him about that. He hadn't said much about the work lately and she assumed things were going all right, if more slowly than he wished. If only Preston's place weren't the last one he was working on. It was the hardest of all the jobs for many reasons. But Sully had felt that since Preston had the Chateau in which to live, he was obligated to take care of those who had lost their only homes, first. And he had spent the time and effort to add in little extras to make the places homier. but even with the help he'd had from the other men of the town, the two years had seemed to melt away. Now they were faced with a "hanging" judge coming in less than a month. Peter was doing what he could to try to change that but was not at all assured of his success.

Michaela paused in her brushing. Sully was taking a long time with the chores. It was important that they talk. She needed to find out if he was keeping anything from her. It was puzzling that he had refused Brian's help. Something was bothering him, she was sure of that. He'd been so remote lately. Staring into the mirror at her lone reflection she was suddenly reminded of the time more than two years ago just after Sully had disappeared. they didn't even know if he was alive or dead but suddenly she had known. She could sense him as if he'd been standing right behind her. She wished she felt that connected now.

And to top it all off, now there was the disturbing news that Bonnie had told her about Brian. She didn't know how they were going to handle that but something would have to be done! She wished Sully would hurry with the chores and get upstairs so they could talk. She flitted about the room nervously, rearranging things, tidying, sighing with impatience.

She went and checked on Gordon and Katie both of whom seemed to be sleeping peacefully, albeit Katie sounded a little snuffly. She paused at the top of the stairs but she couldn't hear Sully. She ventured partway down the stairs - but there was no sign of him. He must still be in the barn.

Trying to calm her agitation, realising if she didn't she would never get to sleep, she fixed herself a cup of chamomile tea and headed up to bed, picking up a new medical journal on the way. As she sipped her tea and read, she listened for Sully to come in for the barn, to hear him bank the fire, for his tread on the stairs, to hear him check on the children. She sighed and put aside her empty cup. The chamomile had relaxed her somewhat. She settled herself more comfortably under the covers. Thank goodness tomorrow was Sunday... she could sleep a little later... no clinic... she would probably need to stay home and nurse Katie... Sully would be up in a minute. Lulled by her thoughts and a dry-as-dust dissertation by an esteemed New York physician, Michaela drifted off.

Sully had finished in the barn and was about to head back to the house when the door creaked open. "Matthew!" Sully said, surprised. "Is everything okay? Is Katie ..."

"She's fine" Matthew reassured him. "She fell asleep right after I put her to bed"

"Where's Brian?"

"He rode on back to the homestead - said he was tired. Sully ..." Sully looked up, feeling his defenses rise at the tone of Matthew's voice. Matthew looked uncomfortable. "Sully, it's just about time for me to send my monthly report to the judge" He ran his hand over the back of his head. "Is there anythin' I need ta know? About how the work is goin'?"

"You still sendin' those reports ta Judge Winthrop?" Sully asked, neatly avoiding the question.

"Yeah, why?"

Sully was silent and Matthew looked away in frustration. Facing Sully again he said, "Sully, Preston's been droppin' hints around town that you're nowhere near done with his homestead, that you been havin' problems. If that's the case ya oughta tell me so I can decide if it's somethin' I oughta report".

"There's nothin' that needs reportin'" Sully said shortly.

"Why don't you let me decide that?" Matthew said quietly. He sensed that Sully was holding something back, something that needed to be said.

Sully sighed. All the pain and worry that he'd been bottling up inside was threatening to overwhelm him. Hearing what Peter had to say tonight hadn't helped matters any. Sully looked up as if imploring the spirits for help, then looked back at Matthew. "This is just between us" he muttered. "I don't want your Ma hearin' about it yet" Matthew nodded and Sully began to speak, haltingly at first, but with more confidence as he went on. It was almost a relief to tell someone. He spoke briefly about how Preston had been needling him day after day, which Matthew already knew. He told about the damage to Preston's homestead and all the little, annoying things that had been going wrong that might or might not have been someone's deliberate work. He spoke of Preston's threats and told of how he'd finally had enough and spoken up to Preston. Finally he told Matthew of the telegram Michaela had obtained and of their supper at the Taylors' that night that seemed to confirm that Preston had pulled strings to see that an Indian-hating judge would be the one to complete Sully's trial.

Matthew listened quietly, leaning up against a support beam. When Sully concluded, he remarked, "Don't ya think ya oughta tell Dr. Mike about what's goin' on?"

Sully sighed deeply. "Matthew," he said at last, "she don't need one more thing worryin' her. 'sides, you know your ma. She'd get all excited - have Jake and the council meetin', askin' them ta post guards or somethin' - she'd be wirin' the president... or even goin' out there herself ta try ta stop what's happenin' ..." He grinned slightly.

His small attempt at levity fell flat. "Maybe that's what needs ta happen" Matthew said seriously. "Ya can't just let this go by"

"No, Matthew. I gotta handle this myself. Someone has it in for me and I don' wanna be draggin' the resta the family into it. The less everyone else knows, the better. 's why I haven't even said anything to Peter 'bout it. This is my fight and I gotta work it out for myself".

Matthew kept his steady gaze on Sully. "That's not what you told us back when Grace an' Robert E were havin' trouble with Bancroft and his Ku Klux Klan"

Sully looked pained. "That was different, Matthew"

"How?" Matthew challenged. "Because it was someone else and not you?"

"Matthew, would you just let me handle things my own way?"

Matthew blew out a breath of frustration. "Fine. You may be able to keep hidin' things from your lawyer, which is bad enough, but don't think you can keep hidin' from Dr. Mike. She knows ya too well. She knows when somethin's troublin' you and it's gonna hurt her a whole lot worse if she finds out some other way than from you." Afraid he wasn't getting through to Sully, he shook his head. "I'm gonna come out to the work site Monday and I'm gonna hafta report on what I see" At Sully's look he said, "It's my job, Sully".

Sully looked suddenly defeated. "Who's gettin' the reports, anyway?" he queried.

Matthew shrugged. "I been sendin' 'em care of Judge Winthrop just as he ordered. Never heard anythin' different. Far's I know he's still gettin' 'em". Matthew stood up and straightened his hat. "I'd tell Dr. Mike if I was you," was his parting shot, "'fore she finds out some other way. An' I'd tell Peter, too, 'f ya want him ta keep bein' your lawyer". As he headed for the barn door he turned. "I wanna help ya, Sully" he said, "but I can't if ya won't let me". Sully remained silent and Matthew turned to leave saying, "G' night, Sully. See ya in church tomorrow. He went out, closing the door as he went.

Sully watched him leave then angrily threw down the rag he had been using to wipe his hands when Matthew entered the barn. He closed his eyes and heaved a deep sigh, then leaned against the post and slid slowly down it until he was sitting on the floor, his head resting on his knees.

- Part 30
Sully's kisses were becoming more ardent. They were lying close together on the ground and despite the fact that she was enjoying being this close again, Michaela could not dismiss a nagging fear from the back of her mind. Sully was in trouble. She knew it, could sense it. But he kept kissing her and she responded eagerly. they rolled over on the ground and suddenly she saw it, the precipice so frighteningly near. She tried to cry out, tried to keep hold of him but her voice wouldn't work, her limbs would not obey her and he slipped from her embrace and went hurtling over the side of the cliff. "Suuullllyyyyyy!" was her anguished and inaudible cry.

Michaela's eyes flew open and she lay in bed, her limbs still paralyzed by the dream. She breathed deeply and felt her rapidly beating heart finally slow to a more natural rhythm. Slowly she withdrew her arms from beneath the covers and reached out tentatively for her husband sleeping beside her. She needed reassurance after the nightmare. He wasn't there.

She sat up abruptly. It was still dark but through the window she could see a faint line of light on the horizon. Slowly she recalled the events of the previous night. Had Sully come to bed? He must have. The lamp was out, her medical journal had been laid carefully aside and his side of the bed was rumpled. She had fallen asleep waiting for him and he had risen before she awakened. Why was he up so early? She hoped he wasn't ill. She rose and pulled on her robe, making her way downstairs.

Sully was sitting at the table, drinking coffee. His tool belt and a haversack of supplies lay on the table beside him. Michaela frowned in consternation. "Sully? What are you doing?"

Sully glanced up and gave her an apologetic smile. "Sorry if I woke ya" he said, "Wanted ta get an early start".

"Early? It's not even light yet!" With a sudden realization Michaela added, "Besides, it's Sunday! You're not going to work on Sunday?"

Sully glanced away, unable to meet her eyes. "Michaela, you heard what Peter said. This work had got to be done when the judge comes. If that means workin' every day..." He rose and began buckling on his tool belt.

"Surely you don't need to work on Sunday!" Michaela finished descending the stairs, coming to stand beside her husband. "Besides, I need to talk with you. I'd hoped we could talk last night, but you were so late with the chores ..."

"Me an' Matthew were havin' a talk" Sully said shortly.

"Matthew? Sully, did he say anything about Brian?"

"Brian? No, why?"

Michaela's worried look deepened. "Sully, Bonnie Taylor came to me last night with some very disturbing news about Brian ... " She took a deep breath and was about to go on when Sully held up his hand.

"She came ta me last night, too".

"So you know what Brian's been up to!"

"Michaela ... no, I don't. I wouldn't let her tell me."

"Wouldn't let her ... Sully, why in the world not?"

"Because she was angry with Brian. Because I don't think she really wanted ta tell. Because I'm not sure it's anything I wanted ta hear".

Michaela had gathered a full head of steam. "Not want to hear? Sully, this is our son we're talking about and he and Sam have been out in the ..."

"Michaela!" Sully spoke sharply, startling her into silence. "If Brian is having problems, I'd like to hear it from him. I'd like ta think he'd be able ta trust us enough ta talk to us about ..."

"About smoking, Sully?" Michaela's voice was trembling. "About drinking whiskey? What if he sets something on fire the way he did two years ago? He and Anthony nearly burned the town down, then. And if he starts drinking now who knows where he'll end up? Do you want our son to be like Jake Slicker was?"

Sully put his arms around Michaela in an attempt to calm her. "Brian ain't gonna turn out like Jake" he said soothingly.

Michaela remained stiff in Sully's embrace. "You don't know that, Sully. This is where it starts - with young boys experimenting - and then drinking more and more ... look at how sick Sam was!"

"An' Brian wasn't sick" Sully pointed out. He drew her over to the table and helped her into a chair, sitting down next to her. "We'll keep an eye on him, Michaela, but he's got a good head on his shoulders. I think he knows when ta stop".

"He shouldn't have started" Michaela insisted. "I can't believe you're being so calm about this. And now when we need to talk about what to do, you're going off to work all day. I don't understand, Sully. I thought we'd been through all this that first Thanksgiving after your trial. I thought we agreed that our time together was more important than ..."

"That was before ..." Sully began, then broke off abruptly, looking away.

"Before what? Sully - what is going on?"

Sully looked up toward the ceiling then turned back to Michaela. "I just don't wanta take no chances" he said quietly.

"Chances with what? Sully, talk to me!" Michaela leaned toward Sully, looking into his troubled eyes. "Sully, please ... something's been bothering you for days ..."

"Nothin's botherin' me" Sully said gruffly.

Michaela drew herself up and spoke very quietly. "So nothing's bothering you. So I'm just to assume it is something about me that makes you not want to ... to be close anymore, that makes you pull away from me emotionally. That makes you so distant".

Sully took a deep breath and thought about Matthew's advice. "I didn't want ta trouble you," he began, "ya got enough on your plate without addin' my troubles. Michaela, it's just that there's ... there's been some - problems - with the work at Preston's".

"Problems? What kind of problems?" Michaela jumped in immediately.

Sighing, Sully strove to keep his voice calm. "There's been some - damage - to some o' the work I've done. Also ta somma the supplies. It's set me back a few days. I need ta catch up is all".

Michaela had gone pale. "Damage? Was it deliberate? Who would do such a thing?" She stood and began to pace in her agitation. "Have you told Matthew? When did this happen? Sully, why won't you answer my questions?"

"You ain't givin' me much chance" he said mildly. "I discovered it a few days back - the day your Ma and Rebecca left. Told Matthew about it last night - he was gonna come out to check on things for his report".

"Well, what is he going to do? What are we going to do? We should probably talk to Jake or maybe Matthew could arrange to post a guard on the property at night. Unless that's Preston's responsibility ..." Michaela was running through the possibilities in her head. She went to her desk and got a pen and a piece of paper. "We should list exactly what the damage is and when each thing happened". She took pen and paper and sat back at the table, looking up at Sully expectantly. "Try to be as precise as possible. I can't understand why in the world you didn't tell me before this, Sully".

Sully reached over and gently removed the pen from Michaela's trembling fingers. "I didn't tell ya because I knew you were gonna go gettin' upset like this" He tried to keep his voice light.

"Of course I'm upset!" She grabbed for the pen. "Give me the pen, Sully, we have to decide what course of action to take"

Sully was shaking his head. "Michaela, this is somethin' I gotta handle on my own. You know there's things I just gotta work out for myself. Please ... don't press me"

"Press you? Sully, you're my husband - I love you - I want to share what you're going through - I want to help you!"

"The best help you can give me is ta leave me alone ta work this out my own way. Don't go callin' a council meetin' or wirin' the president. Don't make this one o' your causes. Just let me handle it myself!"

Michaela looked stung. Was this the man who just a week ago had swept her away for a secret tryst in the clinic? They had come so far in the time they'd know each other. Now she felt as if time had spun back to when they first met, when Sully had been a man in pain, a pain he would share with no one. "Why are you doing this?" she asked in a small voice. "Why are you holding back from me?"

"I just don't need anyone else fightin' my battles right now" Sully replied. He threw her an accusatory glance. "Speakin' of holdin' back, I could ask you the same question. Why didn't ya tell me about that telegram about the judge soon 's ya knew about it?"

"I ... I just wanted to spare you more worry - at least until I could know for sure what was going on. Besides, that's not the same thing - it's not the same thing at all!" she insisted with a stubborn lift of her chin.

Sully rose from the table. He grabbed his jacket from the peg by the door and shrugged it on, then picked up his haversack from the table.

Michaela had risen with him and stood watching with her mouth set. She moved towards him as he headed for the door. He turned and looked at her for a moment, his blue eyes conveying a mixture of emotions. "Yes," he said, "it is the same thing"

Michaela opened her mouth for a retort when a cry came from upstairs, "Mama! Mama!" Katie. Instinctively, Michaela turned and looked in the direction of the cry. When she turned back, Sully was gone.

- Part 31
As the last strains of "Leaning on the Everlasting Arms" died away, Brian turned one more time, checking to see if Ma and Sully had gotten here yet with Katie and Gordon. Matthew poked him and whispered "Stop worryin', Brian. Katie's probably still sick and they stayed home this mornin'." Brian didn't appreciate having his mind read and took his time turning back. As he did, he saw Bonnie sitting with her family. She refused to meet his eyes. With a shrug, Brian faced forward again.

The Reverend, standing in the pulpit, seemed to be waiting for them to settle down before he began. "The text I have chosen for my message this morning comes from the Book of Proverbs, chapter 15, verse 1: 'A soft answer turneth away wrath, but harsh words stirreth up anger'"

Brian shifted uncomfortably in the pew, remembering the harsh words he had spoken to Bonnie last night. The Reverend's sermon was all about words, about how they should be used carefully. Kind words go a long way in healing, but words spoken in anger can cut like a knife and sometimes leave permanent scars. After the service Brian shook hands briefly with the Reverend but other than identifying himself, didn't say anything. He didn't want to let on how guilty he was feeling. He saw the Taylors out on the lawn and thought about heading in that direction. Bonnie looked his way then with a twitch of her braids, ran off to be with her friends. Sam grinned and wandered over to Brian. "Told you she was mad" he said.

Brian shook his head. "I just wanted ta tell her I was sorry" He grinned sheepishly. "Guess the Reverend's sermon made me think a little bit".

"You're better off not saying anything" Sam told him. "If she thinks you like her, she'll never leave you alone".

Brian screwed up his face in consternation. "It still ain't right, what I did" he said.

Just then Roberta called that it was time for them to go. Seeing Brian she said, "How's Katie feeling, Brian?"

"I guess she's still sick, Miss Bobby" Brian replied, "since they aren't here this morning".

"Well, tell your mother to send for me if she needs anything".

"I will, Miss Bobby. Thanks."

"See ya, Brian" Sam waved.

"See ya" Brian sighed and looked around. Some people were leaving, some setting up for the weekly picnic on the lawn. Over at the cemetery something caught his eye. He looked around for Matthew, who suddenly appeared at his elbow.

"Listen, Brian, I've got a couple things I have to take care of over at the sheriff's office. Can ya keep yourself busy for awhile?"

"Sure, Matthew. I've got somethin' I want ta do, too" Brian wandered over to the little graveyard where he had seen Loren sitting on the bench. He paused respectfully until Loren looked up then he said, "Hey, Mr. Bray"

"Oh, hello there, Brian" Loren said, with a sigh. "What you doin' here?"

"I saw you sittin' over here. You visitin' Mrs. Bray?"

"Yep. An' Abigail an' Hannah, too. Seems the longer I live the more people I know end up here" Loren replied with a shake of his head. He moved over on the bench and Brian sat down beside him.

"I know what ya mean" Brian said sympathetically. "I come here ta talk to Anthony. An' I visit my real Ma, too" He heaved a sigh. "I don't always remember what she was like, anymore. I wonder if she remembers me?"

" 'course she does, boy" Loren said gruffly, then changing the subject, added, "Where's Dr. Mike and Sully and the kids, this mornin'?"

"Katie was sick last night so I guess they stayed home with her. I been stayin' nights with Matthew so I didn't see them this morning".

Loren nodded and continued to stare ahead contemplatively.

"Mr. Bray? Were ya listenin' to the Reverend's sermon this mornin'?"

"' course I was!" Loren blustered. "Why, it was about ... he talked about... well ... which part do ya mean?"

"The part about bein' careful how we use words. Mr. Bray, did you ever say somethin' ta someone that you were sorry for later?"

"Sure. I reckon everyone does, sometime or other".

"What do ya do about it?"

Loren shrugged. "Tell them you're sorry. Be more careful the next time".

"What if they won't listen to ya?"

"Well, I suppose ya could write them a letter. People usually read those. You got someone particular in mind?"

Brian nodded but did not elaborate.

"This a boy person? A girl person? Grown-up person?" Loren inquired.

"Girl person".

"Ahh, well then ya might wanta send a gift with the letter".

"A gift?"

"Sure. You know, a piece o' candy or some wildflowers ..."

"I don't want her ta think I'm in love with her or anything!" Brian protested.

"It don't have ta be like that. Just a token of friendship, like, ta show you mean the apology".

Brian nodded thoughtfully. "I guess I could try that. Thanks, Mr. Bray!"

They sat in silence for awhile until Brian spoke again, this time in a very small voice. "Mr. Bray? Do you ... do you think Pa - Sully - will be in here soon?"

"Be where?" Loren got a look at Brian's face. "What - here? In the graveyard? What makes ya say that, boy?"

Brian heaved a shuddering sigh, trying to keep his tears in check lest he appear unmanly. "I'm just worried that he won't finish the work in time an' that the judge'll make him go to jail or ... or ..." Brian couldn't finish.

Loren looked a little taken aback, then slid over and put an arm around Brian's shoulder. "Now, Brian, I don't think ya gotta worry about Sully. He's a hard worker. He'll get the job done. 'sides, even if he don't, that judge struck me as a pretty okay fella. He'd prob'ly give your pa more time if he needs it." He peered into Brian's face. "Have ya talked to Sully about this? About how you're worried? Ya really should be talkin' ta him!"

Brian shook his head. "I can't. He's too busy. He's hardly ever around. Besides, there's more"

"More?"

Brian raised frightened eyes to Loren, trying to decide whether to entrust him with something he'd so far told no one. "I ain't told nobody this but ... Trevor - Mr. Lodge's nephew - he told me he heard his uncle talkin' and sayin' that a different judge was comin', one who doesn't like Indians or people who help them. Trevor said Mr. Lodge said Sully would be ... would be in here before the year was out!"

"Why that young whippersnapper!" Loren burst out. "I'd like ta take my belt ta his britches! Listen ta me, Brian - he was prob'ly just tryin' ta upset ya! That's the kind o' thing his type likes ta do! Why just the other day he was stealin' candy from my store. When I caught him at it he tried to blame little Charlie Smith. You gonna believe a boy like that? Why, I got a good mind to go over there an' ..."

"Please, Mr. Bray ... no. You're right. He was just teasin' - tryin' ta scare me. I don't ... I don't want Ma ta hear about it, though or she'll get all upset".

"Well ... all right" Loren conceded. He knew very well that Trevor could have been quoting Preston and he was sure Brian knew it, too. "Sully is a good man" he went on. "He's a good Pa to you kids an' a good husband to your Ma" He paused reflectively. "He was a good husband to Abigail, too an' he's been a good friend ta me. He's gonna get that work done an' the judge is gonna declare his sentence complete. Don't matter what judge it is, either. Sully will be a free man, you wait an' see!"

"I hope so" Brian sighed. He rose to his feet. "I gotta go meet Matthew. Thanks, Mr. Bray".

"Aw, that's all right. Anytime ya need ta talk, you know where I am. But, well, ya oughta talk to Sully, too - tell him what's botherin' you. He's the one that can answer your questions".

Brian nodded then turned and hurried toward town. Loren heaved a sigh and continued to sit on the bench, offering up prayers to the Almighty for the people who had become like a second family to him, who were dearer to him than he even wanted to admit.

- Part 32
Dinner that evening was rather subdued. Michaela was tired from nursing Katie all day but thankfully the little girl seemed to be on the mend. She was now tucked safely in bed with her bunny and would hopefully sleep through the night again. Gordon, who had resisted naps all day, was sleeping in the cradle by the fire.

Matthew, attempting to bring conversation to the quiet table, at last spoke up. "So where'd ya go today, Brian?"

Brian looked up, startled. "Huh?"

"Today after church. While I was at the sheriff's office?"

"Oh" Brian looked uncomfortable. "Um ... I went over to the cemetery. I ... um ... I sometimes go there ta visit -- Ma's -- grave" He glanced quickly at Michaela. "Mr. Bray was there, too" He took a quick bite of food to cover his discomfort.

Matthew, too, glanced at Michaela who was silently eating her supper, seemingly oblivious to the conversation. "That's real good, Brian" he said. "I mean, that's nice that you do that".

Brian relaxed a little. "I got the idea from Sully. When he used ta go every week ta visit Miss Abigail? Do you ever do that anymore, Sully?" he asked curiously and then he could have kicked himself.

Sully shifted in his seat, glancing first at Michaela then at Brian, aware of the tension that had infused their meal tonight and not wanting to add to it. He nodded briefly. "Sometimes" He reached for his cup and took a swallow of coffee. "Maybe we should all go sometime. Be nice for Katie and Gordon ta know about their half-sister". He looked at Michaela over the rim of his coffee cup. Their eyes met briefly and then she deliberately averted her gaze.

The rest of the meal was eaten in silence and when the pie plates were cleared, Matthew stood and with a significant look at his brother said, "C'mon, Bri, let's go take care o' that stuff Sully asked us ta do".

"What things?" Michaela looked up as Brian rose to join Matthew.

Matthew hesitated and Sully said, "I asked them ta take care of a couple things in the barn so you and I could talk".

Michaela looked as if she might protest but thought better of it and waited until Matthew and Brian had departed before saying, "If you want to pick up where we left off this morning, I don't see ..."

Sully interrupted her. "This ain't got nothin' ta do with this morning".

Michaela really looked him in the eyes, then, and saw - what? - Anger? - Hurt? - Puzzlement? - in their blue depths. "What is it, Sully?"

Sully looked away for a moment, then collected himself and faced her. "Maybe it does have ta do with this mornin'" he amended. "Just another instance of 'holdin' back'." He gave her a hard look but she seemed genuinely not to know what he was talking about. Still looking at her steadily he said, "Preston came by the homestead today".

"Was he giving you a hard time again?"

"He wanted ta know when you were gonna come by ta see him. About what hours you were plannin' on puttin' in at his clinic the next few weeks." When Michaela remained silent, Sully said, "You plannin' on tellin' me what this is about?"

Not liking Sully's tone, Michaela lifted her chin and stared directly back at him. "Yes, of course. It's very simple, really. Andrew asked me to fill in for him a few hours a week at the chateau so he could attend a medical conference in Philadelphia."

"Don't ya have enough ta do without addin' to it?"

Michaela missed the gentleness and concern in his tone and said defensively, "I'm sure I can handle it!"

Sully closed his eyes and breathed deeply, then opened them, leaning forward and looking intently at Michaela. "Don't ya think we shoulda discussed this before you agreed to it?"

Michaela knew deep down he was probably right but was not ready to admit it. Tossing her head she said, "I haven't noticed that we've discussed much of anything lately!" She stared at him with her mouth set and he stared back, refusing to be pulled into an argument. This infuriated her. "Well, do you?" she challenged.

"Do I what?" Sully asked tiredly.

"Do you think we've been discussing things lately?" Michaela hated having to explain what she meant.

"Michaela, I don't wanta talk about that, now. I just wanna be sure you know what you're gettin' into, doin' something like this for Preston".

"I'm not doing this for Preston, I'm doing it for Andrew" Michaela said contrarily. "It's just for a few hours a week".

"It's Preston you'll be dealin' with and Preston you'll have to answer to. Do ya think he'll settle for just a few hours a week? Ya already cut back time at your own clinic so ya don't get too tired, so ya have time for the family ..."

"I suppose you'd be happier if I didn't work at all!" Michaela cried unreasonably. "Then you could be gone all the time!"

Sully threw his napkin down in frustration. Michaela was impossible when she was in one of her moods.

The sound of hoofbeats approaching the homestead distracted them and they went to the door to see a worried Loren rein up his horse. "Thank goodness you're here, Dr. Mike. It's Dorothy. She's horribly sick ta her stomach. Almost like that time ya had that infection at the clinic. Told her I’d come fetch you. She didn't want me to, but, well, I'm worried about her!"

"I'll get my bag" Michaela said quickly. "Sully, I may have to spend the night at the clinic - the children ... I know Katie had the virus already, but I don't want them further exposed ..."

Sully laid a calming hand on her arm. "You get what ya need. I'll pack up some stuff for 'em an' see if Grace can watch 'em for the night".

Michaela looked up in surprise. "Grace? Can't you just watch them here? I'm sure Brian and Matthew could stay, too, if you needed them".

Sully sighed. He had needed more time to discuss his plans with Michaela. "I was plannin' on goin' back to Preston's homestead tonight ... " he ventured.

"Tonight? Whatever for?"

"I wanna keep an eye on the place, for one thing. An' bein' there means I can start right off workin' first light".

Michaela threw him a look of exasperation. "This is a fine time to decide something like that!"

"I didn't decide just now. I just hadn't had a chance ta tell ya yet".

"More 'holding back'?" Michaela asked sarcastically.

Sully's eyes blazed but he did not reply.

The ride into town was silent. The children were dozing and Michaela and Sully were each thinking their own thoughts. They stopped at the clinic and Sully walked around the wagon to help Michaela down. She turned toward the clinic but he grasped her shoulders and turned her towards him. "I'll take the kids ta Grace an' then I'll be back ta see how you're doin' before I go". Michaela nodded but would not meet his eyes. With a sigh he gave her shoulders a squeeze before she pulled away to enter the clinic. He hopped into the wagon and clucked to the horse.

An hour later Michaela had examined Dorothy, dosed her and had made her as comfortable as possible in one of the recovery rooms. She stayed, talking of inconsequential things until Dorothy's eyes grew heavy and her breathing even. She tiptoed downstairs to find Sully waiting for her. He turned as she entered the examining room. "Dorothy okay?" he asked.

"She's doing as well as can be expected" Michaela replied quietly. "With proper rest she should be completely recovered in a few days. Grace has the children?"

"Yup. Said not ta worry - that she'd keep 'em 's long as ya need. She'll even bring Gordon over ta nurse tomorrow."

Michaela nodded, then looking up at Sully, she asked, "You're going to Preston's now?"

"Soon. Michaela ... come over here a minute. Let's sit down" He drew her over to where two chairs sat facing each other, seating her in one and sitting opposite her in the other. Still holding her hands, he said, "Do ya wanna tell me what's troubling you? Are ya upset 'cause I said I still visit Abigail and Hannah sometimes? Ya know it's you I love ..."

Tears filled Michaela's eyes. "It's not that, Sully. I just keep thinking ... wondering ..."

"What?" Sully gently urged.

"If I had come to Colorado Springs in time to save them. If I had been here and been able to give you your wife and baby girl ..."

Sully grasped her hands more tightly. "I have my wife and my baby girl" he told her. "An' so much more! Yes, I went through a lot of grief and pain when I lost Abigail and Hannah. If they had lived, we prob'ly woulda had a very happy life. But they didn't. An' even though I wanted ta die, too, then, I didn't. Thanks to Cloud Dancin' and the Cheyenne, an' you an' the kids, I have a new life, now. A rich one. One I wouldn't trade for anything!"

Michaela made a derisive noise and withdrew her hands from Sully's. "If we hadn't met ... gotten married ... you wouldn't be in the trouble you are now. You wouldn't always be put in the position of having to choose between two worlds. If you hadn't married me ..."

"If I hadn't married you I might be dead by now" Sully said in frustration. "Michaela, look at me!" He put a gentle finger under her chin, forcing her to look up, to look into his eyes. it was so difficult dealing with Michaela's insecurities. When was this woman going to understand she was the very breath of life to him? His eyes filled with tears as he looked at her. "Michaela, things are real hard now, maybe gonna get harder before they get better. But this much is true -- my love for you is stronger than it ever was. Please -- let's not doubt each other -- doubt our love for each other. You are the best thing that ever happened to me and I don't want ya ever, ever ta doubt that. I will love ya till the day I die -- and beyond. There is nothin' that could make me wish we hadn't met and gotten married".

"But I told Custer when the dog soldiers killed those men. I voted for the train when you were so opposed to it. I ..."

Sully placed his fingers over her lips. "We ain't always gonna agree on everything, Michaela. But let's just agree on this one thing -- we love each other and nothin's ever gonna change that". He smiled a little and raised his eyebrows in silent query.

Michaela looked at him for a moment, then dropped her eyes which were filling with tears. "I'm so tired Sully. And worried. We only seem to be together in bits and snatches lately. You've been keeping things from me ... every conversation turns into a fight. Neither of us is happy with what the other is doing ..."

"Then let's compromise like we always done" Sully suggested. "You go ahead and fill in for Andrew. Just stand up to Preston if ya hafta. An' I'll do what I have ta do ta protect my work at Preston's. Okay?"

Silently, Michaela nodded. She allowed Sully to enfold her in a warm embrace and to kiss her gently before he exited the clinic to head to Preston's. Michaela closed the clinic door behind him and went to fix herself a bed in the recovery room next to Dorothy's.

Continue...