Part 3, cont'd

The supper passed quickly and the atmosphear was quite delightful. Michaela's sisters were all charming and Michaela regretted that Marjorie was not there. Sully chatted with two men on his right while his wife spoke on the left side of the table, but Sully's hand was in Michaela's.

I want to thank Michaela, Sully, and the children for travelling from so far to come here." Elizabeth lifted her glass and everyone toasted. "Now, I'm sure you all want some music for dancing."

The quartet began to play, and Sully was the first to stand up, inviting Michaela to dance with him. Her eyes didn't stop staring into his as they walked in the middle of the room. Everyone marvelled at how beautiful a couple they were, and how much they loved each other. Then other couples came on the floor and began to waltz.

"Yes, you've really improved at this," said Michaela to Sully as they were dancing.

"I've had a good partner," he said, echoing words she had once said when she followed her traces in the woods, just after they began courting.

"Everything is perfect tonight. I hope you've enjoyed the supper."

"The food was perfect indeed," he said with a serious tune.

"I didn't mean that," she smile at him, knowing he was happy about being at the party.

All the guests were gone and the Sullys were about to retire to their rooms. They thanked Elizabeth for the wonderful evening. Then Colleen and Brian went upstairs after saying goodbye.

"Will you come with us to the Museum tomorrow, Mother?" asked Michaela.

"Yes, why not! I will asked to have a picnic prepared and we will go to the park for lunch."

"That sounds good," answered Sully, but suddenly, they heard a scream. It was Colleen, who was standing at the top of the stairs.

"Ma, Sully!"

Part 4

"What is it, Colleen?" Michaela raised her head to discover the awful look on the face of her daughter. Colleen was very shocked, and had trouble speaking correctly.

"I, I went in the room, and..." Michaela rushed up the stairs, quickly followed by Sully and Mrs Quinn. "She is not in her bed. She hasn't been there. I, I searched everywhere. Katie's not here."

Michaela ran to Colleen's bedroom with Sully, and Mrs Quinn came to hold Colleen and Brian, who seemed very shocked. Mike searched frantically in the room, but all that she discovered was that Katie's clothes were not there. Sully was also shocked, and seemed totally helpless in the middle of the room. He couldn't believe what was happening, and the pain he was feeling prevented him to think correctly. He went over next to Michaela, whose eyes were now fully wet, and tried to comfort her.

"No...," she said "It's impossible, not my baby..." It was too much to stand.

Sully barely heard her last words. All seemed gloomy around him. He couldn't see correctly the people in the room. He was only aware of his wife next to him. Reminders of the past came to him. He saw himself years ago, when he was totally alone, when Abigail and Hannah had just left him. He could feel the pain he had undergone at that time. He took Michaela in his arms, but rather in a mechanical gesture. As he watched her, he saw Katie's face in her. A cold shiver passed through his entire body. Suddenly Michaela fainted and he just managed to hold her before her body touched the floor.

"Ma !" Brian and Colleen came to her. Sully scoped her in his arms and put her on Colleen's bed.

"Honey, wake up," Sully gently tapped Michaela's cheek. He tried to recover his self-control but his hands were shaking. He tried not to show his anxiety to his children. "Brian, bring me some fresh water, please."

"I'm calling the staff," said Mrs Quinn. "I am sure someone knows what happened. Martha put Katie to bed, she will certainly help us." She tried to be strong with her voice, but everyone knew she was also fighting her emotions.

"Here is the water, Pa." Brian put the pitcher on the dresser. Colleen went over next to her Ma, and held her hand. Sully tried to wake her with the water. It was the first time he had seen her totally loosing her control. She slowly recovered he consciousness.

"Sully" she breathed, searching for his hand. Then she looked around her and remembered what had happened. "Oh no..."

"It's all right, Michaela. We're goin' to find her. I promise." He took her in his arms to comfort her, and smiled gently to his children to try to comfort them too.

A few minutes later, all the employees were in the hall, wondering what was happening. Elizabeth Quinn came in front of them and after she recomposed herself, informed them of the situation. Michaela, Sully and the children were standing behind her.

"We want to know if any of you have seen someone with little Katie," finished Elizabeth, waiting for an answer.

All the staff seemed perplex, trying to remember the events of the evening.

One of the maids began to speak: "I saw Martha going up with her. She was putting her to bed I guess, Madam."

"Martha?" asked Mrs Quinn. No one answered. Suddenly they all realized that the maid wasn't there.

"Does anyone know where Martha is?" asked Michaela's mother, afraid of what could have happened. All the answers were negative ones.

"Oh my God," said Michaela, "She took my baby! I remember the look in her eyes when she said Katie was in good hands with her. Oh, why didn't I put her to bed?"

"Hey," said Sully, when she began to cry. " We couldn't of known. Nobody could."

She turned back to face his and leant against him. He stroked her hair, trying to comfort her.

"We have to be sure she has Katie," said Colleen.

"I think there is no doubt, Colleen. She lost her baby months ago. I thought she was feeling better now, but the fact she had Katie in her arms probably made her feel that Katie was her baby."

"But she's not," said Sully with a determined voice.

Mrs Quinn let the staff go, and came next to the Sullys. Michaela was still close to Sully, but had stopped weeping. Sully dried her cheeks with the back of his hand.

"Maybe we should go to the police station," said Michaela. "It's nearly midnight. I don't think they will be able to help us this late, Michaela," said softly her mother, stroking her back.

"Then we have to go to Martha's place," answered Sully. "Do ya know where she lives?" he asked Elizabeth.

"Yes, she and her husband have a small flat in the North End."

"Then we'll go right now." Said Sully firmly. "Brian, Colleen, you stay here with your Ma."

"No," broke Michaela." I'm coming."

"You should rest, you're in shock Michaela," answered Sully, looking deeply into her eyes.

"No, I won't be able to rest until I find her. You can understand that.."

"Yes I can". He gave her a small smile.

"I will stay here with the children in case we get some news." said Elizabeth. "Harrison, get the carriage ready, will you? And we will need you, too."

"Yes, of course Madam," answered the butler as he went outside.

Ten minutes later, the four of them were in the carriage, ready to go. Brian and Colleen were standing at the door with their grandmother.

"Don't worry, kids," said Sully, "We'll be back with her..."

Then the driver started the horses, and they set off into the dark streets of Boston. They could hear the noise of the night, the screams, the voices and all these noises seemed amplified as they came near Martha's district, which was not as well to do as Beacon Hill. Sully was holding Mike's hand, but all he could see now on her face was a strong, cold, glance. He had never seen her so distant and apart from everything. Even when she has had to perform dangerous operations, or when they had suffered troubles like Ingrid's death, she has had a soft attitude. Sully's saddness was burning inside of him, and even the pity he had first felt for Martha and the loss of her baby was now all gone as he thought of his daughter he had so longed to have.

"Here we are," said the driver " It was a dark building with three or four floors. They got down from the carriage and walked to the door. Once in the hall, they read the letter box.

"Mr. and Mrs. Milton,"said Harrison. "That's on the second floor." They went up the stairs. Sully was in the lead, followed by Michaela. Harrison was at the rear of the group. Then, finally they found Martha's door. Sully knocked on the door.

"Mrs Milton?" He called.

Part 5

"Mrs Milton?" Sully tried again. Noone answered. The silence was becoming heavy around them, and they no longer heard the noise of the street for they were so focused on the Milton's' door.

Suddenly, they heard a groan inside the flat. "Wha' is it?" said a man with a sleepy voice.

"Can we talk to Mrs. or Mr. Milton, please?" Sully's voice was straight. He realized that it was the middle of the night, and that the man didn't seem to be very happy to be disturbed.

"Who's askin'?"answered the voice.

"My name is Sully. I'm Mrs Quinn's son-in-law. Your wife works for her. Are you Mr Milton?" Sully could feel Michaela's short breath in her back. He quickly turned back and stroked her cheek with his hand. Her look was even colder than when they were in the carriage, and her skin was also very cold.

"I am, so wha'?" asked the men, who was definitively suspicious.

Sully's anger began to rise. "Please, don't ask questions now. Just open the door. It's a very important matter..."

"Maybe he wants to protect her," said Michaela in a low tune.

"Or maybe he doesn't know anything, Madam" answered Harrison. "I've been told he is a factory-worker, and also a drunk." Harrison's words were quickly followed by the sound of the lock. Then the door opened in a grating. Sully positioned himself before his wife, anticipating any violence. A ruffled man appeared under the threshold. He was a bit taller that Sully, and was wearing an old blue boiler suit.

"So, wha's the matter?" He looked intrigued by the appearance of this long haired-man standing in front of a very beautiful lady whose cold look didn't match her features. He recognised Harrison, who he had already seen at Mrs Quinn's house.

"Can we come in?" Sully's eyes were focused on the man.

"Yeah, come in." Mr Milton turned back into the flat.

It was a small place but pleasantly arranged. The room seemed to be the common room. There was a door on the left side which was probably leading to the bedroom. Mr. Milton sat on a chair, lighting a small cigarette. Sully, Michaela and Harrison stayed standing.

"My wife and I want to speak to your wife. We..." Sully hesitated, trying to choose the right words. He didn't know if this man was aware of the events of the evening, but seeing his drunken look, he could assume he wasn't.

"We have a little girl, who is almost a year." His voice trembled a little. Michaela put her hand on his back to show him she was there. "Your wife put Katie, that's our daughter's name, to bed and it seems she's taken her away."

"Wha? Martha took your baby? How ca' you sa' that!"

"Please, Mr Milton" Sully tried to calm the man who was becoming nervous. "We don't know for sure that it happened that way. But what we do know is that your wife is the last person who saw our baby".

"Why would she have done tha'?"

Sully saw in Mr Milton a sort of melancholy. The man surely knew what the reason was. Sully could compare his pain to his own experience. The difference was that Sully had found another strength, another reason to live with the help of the Cheyenne. This man had nothing like this.

"Mr Milton..." Michaela spoke for the first time, which pulled Sully away from his dark thoughts. "We are aware of the fact that you and your wife suffered a terrible ordeal." She stopped, noticing that all men were listening attentively to her words. Even Mr. Milton seemed to be awake now, hearing this woman's voice. "But we are not responsible for that. If, if you imagine what your pain was, and is, so you could imagine what we are passing through right now..."

"I dun have to imagine, it's still here. But I can't do nothin' for ya'." He took a almost empty glass and poured in it some whisky.

"What are you sayin'?" said Sully, doubting seriously the innocence of this man.

"I can't help ya. I don know where she is. Ya know, I'm not here so much, with the work, and, she's no very happy, and..."

"Do you know where she could be? Some friends, someone !" Michaela's voice raised.

"Well, she goes to her sister's sometimes when she don't work. She's a widow, and she feels lonely so....Maybe she'll be there."

"Where is it?" Sully's asked quickly.

"It's near Lexington." answered Mr. Milton. "I'll give ya the address." He took a small sheet of paper and wrote it down. As he handed the paper to Sully, he added: "I dunno if she has your baby. Bu' I hope you find her..." His eyes expressed all the pain of a destroyed soul. Michaela and Sully tried not to attach themselves to that.

"Thank you very much," answered Michaela. Sully nodded. Harrison let them go out and followed quickly. As they were in the dark street, Michaela looked for her watch.

"Half past one," she said. "Let's hope she's there." As she was about to climb in the carriage, she felt Sully's hand stopping her arm.

"Don't you want to return home? I'll go there with Harrison. You seem so tired, Mike."

"No, I know she's with her. I know we must go there Sully." Seeing her insistent tune, Sully knew there was no need to argue. "Harrison, let's go there. Right now."

"Yes, Madam. But we should tell Mrs Quinn. I will send the driver home, and I will drivethe carriage." answered the butler.

Sully helped Michaela, and the two of them sat on the seat. Michaela shivered, as it was the middle of the night, and it was chilly. The butler started the horses, and they once again traveled among the dark streets of the town.

"I'm here, Michaela," said Sully to his wife. He put an arm around her shoulders to warm her. She suddenly realized that he was shaking. She had been so involved since the disappearance that she even hadn't thought of him, and of the pain he could feel.

"Oh Sully," she breathed "I'm sorry. You must be so shocked too." She reached for his hand.

"Yeah, I am. But we are together. We've done so many things together. We'll find her. Nobody can do that better than us." He tightened his grip on her.

After a very long drive, they finally reached their destination. It was a small building with several flats.

"Here we are," said Harrison, as he helped Michaela to get down from the carriage.

"There's some light," said Sully, seeing a ray under the door of the right flat. Sully knocked on the door, and someone answered very rapidly.

"Who is it?" said a woman's voice.

"We are searchin' for your sister Mrs Milton..." The door opened even before Sully could end his sentence. A middle-aged woman, with a worried looked let them enter the room.

"You are the parents of the baby?" she said, noticing Michaela and Sully's anxious faces.

"Yes, we are. I'm Sully, and this is my wife. We are sear..."

"I know what you want," she interrupted. "You're looking for your baby..."

"Did she come here?" questioned Michaela.

"Yes," answered the woman. "she came here an hour ago. She had that little girl with her. She said it was her girl who had come back..." she took a deep breath. "I tried to reason with her. I was sure she had taken the baby from someone. I noticed the fashionable baby clothes in a bag. I remembered she said you were coming from Colorado Spring. She has often talked with me. You know, her work is all her life now."

"Why did she come here?" asked Sully, trying to understand better.

"Well, she asked me for some money for traveling. She wanted to leave Boston. To leave her husband. To leave with the baby."

"Do you know where she's gone?" said Michaela, trying to save some time.

"I didn't give her the money. She said she would go to the train station, and take the first train. I now there is one in the morning, around five."

"We'll catch her there," said Sully with anticipation. "We'll go there."

"Don't be too rude with her," said her sister. "She's suffered. She's not in her right mind."

"Yes, we know," said Michaela, trying to soften her voice. "But we can't think about that right know. Thank you very much for your help."

They turned back and hurried to the train station.

Part 6

It was nearly four in the morning when they finally arrived at the train station. Michaela couldn't stand being awake the full night and leaned her head on Sully's shoulder to sleep.

As he felt her close to him, he remembered how enthusiastic she had been at the idea of going to Boston. All their plans had been ruined, and one thing for sure was that this ordeal would bring them even closer than they had been before. Katie was the symbol of the bound which united them, and Sully couldn't accept the fact that someone had invaded this secured place.

"Here we are," said Harrison, who had been driving the carriage almost the entire night.

Sully gently shook Michaela to wake her. As she opened her eyes, she couldn't remember where she was. But suddenly, all came back to her and the same mask of coldness came across her face. The hall of the train station was almost deserted. They rushed in and tried to find Martha, but there were no passengers in the waiting room. Sully saw a ticket collector and asked him when the next train was leaving.

"Well, there are some supply trains, but the first train for passengers will leave a half past four in the morning, Sir," answered the man.

Michaela looked at her watch. "Quarter past four," said Michaela. "She must be here." She glanced all around the hall. "Sully, let's check the platforms."

"We'd better split up," said Harrison. "I'll go on the left."

"You're right," said Sully. "We'll check the other sides." Sully took Michaela's hand and the two of them went in the direction of the platforms. There were supply trains almost everywhere, and the smoke of the engines was creating dark clouds which prevented them from seeing clearly. Suddenly, they spotted a small group of people, who seemed to be the early passengers of the first train. Sully began slowly to run, followed by Michaela. As they neared the group, they could see more clearly the people. There were two men in black suits who were speaking to each other, but near them two other people they couldn't see well because of the lack of light in that area.

"Michaela, that's her," said Sully, turning back to his wife. "That's a woman with a baby". Michaela's heart began to hammered against her chest. She stopped running, and stopped Sully with her arm.

"We must be careful," she breathed. "We don't know what her reaction will be. Let's go slowly next to her, and take Katie back first." She waited for his approval.

"Yes, you're right. I'll go on the left, you stay behind me. Okay?"

They walked slowly over next to the people. They were at ten, then eight, then five meters from them. The woman was turned the opposite direction, so they could just see her back. She was holding the baby in front of her. When Mike and Sully were at about two metres from her, she turned back to face them.

"Oh my God," said Michaela. "That's not her!" She and Sully stopped immediately; annihilated by their discover. They heard Harrison coming behind them.

"Nothing on this side," he said sadly. "What about you?"

"We thought we have her," said a disappointed Sully, "But it was another person." He looked at Michaela who was staring at the floor, trying to recompose herself. He went over next to her and held her close to him.

"Don't worry. She must be here, Michaela."

"Yes, ...you're right," she answered softly with a quavering voice. As they were standing in the middle of the platform, a supply train left on the right side, making another platform visable, just next to them, just speared by the rail. Sully held Michaela even closer, as he thought she was going to cry.

"Pa !" he heard suddenly from behind. He turned quickly, unintentionally pushing Michaela away from him. He discovered Martha on the other platform, holding Katie, who had recognise her father on the other side of the rail. Martha's face became white as she saw the three of them. Katie began to cry, for she wanted to be with her parents. Michaela didn't realize at that moment that her little girl was just five meters from her. She raised her head, shocked by the violent gesture of her husband as he turned back.

"Katie !" he screamed, quickly followed by Michaela's voice.

Martha began to run in the other direction. Sully rushed onto the rails to catch her. Michaela and Harrison stayed still as they watched Sully crossing the rails to come to the other platform. All seemed to slow down. Even the noise of the engine seemed to fade out. Martha was running as fast as she could with Katie in her arms who was crying even louder. But Martha stopped at the end of the platform, searching for a way to escape Sully, who was now chasing her. She looked on the left side and decided to cross the rails to join another platform. As she jumped down onto the rails, she didn't notice the train coming on right side. Sully didn't notice it either and jumped down from the platform. Michaela and Harrison could just saw the train passing in front of them. Sully, Martha and Katie were at the far left of the platform.

"No!" screamed Michaela as the train came towards her husband and daughter.. Harrison couldn't say a word. They couldn't see Sully, Martha and Katie anymore. They waited for the train to pass entirely. Michaela couldn't believe it. She couldn't see Sully, who had jumped so quickly onto the rails. The noise of the engine was covering all her screams. Finally, the last wagon passed behind them and they followed it with their eyes to the place Martha had crossed the rails.

"Sully," cried Michaela. She was now able to see. Sully was laying between the rails and the bottom of the platform, covering Martha and Katie. After checking to be sure there wasn't another train, Michaela and Harrison jumped down the rails to go to them.

"Sully," repeated Michaela. She saw him move a little, and raise his head, clearly shocked by the event. He had jumped on Martha to prevent her and Katie from being crushed by the train. He looked at Martha who was also recovering, but he immediately took Katie in his arms, checking to see if she was all right. She was also a little shocked, but she smiled at her Pa immediately. He squeezed her tightly after being sure she wasn't injured. Harrison came first and helped Martha to stand up. He took her arms so as not to let her run away. Michaela came to Sully and Katie and fell down next to them, holding them both.

"Oh my darlings," she said to them, "I thought you were..."

"Yes," breathed Sully. "I thought it too." He put Katie in her arms as he stood up. Michaela held her close to her, and kissed her.

"I'm sorry," said Martha. "But It's my baby... I just need a little girl." She was like a sleep-walking person.

"No, it's not your baby" said Michaela, trying to keep her emotions under control. "It's mine."

"But, no !" answered Martha. She wanted to hold Katie again. Harrison stopped her, tightening his grip. Suddenly, Martha realized what she had done. She close her eyes. "I, I'm sorry" she said, opening her eyes.

"Yes, we know," answered Sully with consternation, "but we can't change your actions. The best thing you can do is to get some help from other people."

"I'm sorry," she repeated, this time speaking to Mike. Michaela shared a glance of pity with her, but couldn't watch her more longer. She had hurt her most precious part, and it was even worth it to think that this woman was so helpless.

"I will take care of her," said Harrison. "You can take the carriage and go back to Beacon Hill," he said, smiling to Mike, Sully and Katie. "I will come back by my own."

"Thank you," said Michaela. Then she turned to face Sully and kissed him lightly as she put Katie in his arms.

"Let's go home," he said softly to them. The children must be worried." They went out of the train-station and made their way back to home. Sully held Michaela close to him as she held their daughter who was now sleeping peacefully.

They were welcomed by a waiter who took care of the horses. They opened the door slowly, and they went in the living room. Mrs. Quinn was asleep on the sofa with the children. Sully went to them and slowly woke Elizabeth. Her eyes lightened as she saw Michaela holding her granddaughter.

"You found her," she said, going to Michaela. The children woke too and stood up to kiss Katie.

"Oh, my sweetie," said Colleen as she took her sister in her arms. Michaela stepped back and went to hold Sully as they watched the children and Elizabeth around Katie.

"We should go to bed, don't ya think?" said Sully to his wife.

"Yes," she answered. "Everything is fine now," she kissed him his cheek. The whole family went up the stairs, relieved of the terrible events of the night, and happy to be together again.

"I'm so glad you kept your promise," said Mike to Sully, as they walked out of the Opera where they had just seen Bellini's Norma. They had taken time to recover from their long hunting night and a three days after the event, it was the first time they were going out together.

"But I haven't kept it totally..." he answered, as they were walking down the streets, holding hands.

"What do you mean?"

"Don't you remember what you said to me when we were at home? You said you wanted me to escort you to your room..." He gave her a small smile.

"Oh," she laughed. "I'm sorry, I forgot that." She sighed, leaning her head against his shoulder. "Sully'," she continued, "We haven't had the opportunity to talk a little. I mean, these three days passed very quickly..."

"What do ya want to talk 'bout?" he said, kissing her hand.

"I want to thank you for being there with me. It was the first time something this horrible has happened to us. Something so close to us."

"Because Katie is our mirror," he answered." She's what bound us, what shows our love."

"I think it had been hard for you, as hard as it has been for me," she said slowly, waiting for his answer.

"Yes, I thought everythin' was leavin', everythin' was lost. I, I couldn't comprehend. It was like a nightmare; all vanished around me. All took a distance. Even you."

"Me,"she answered with astonishment.

"I'd never seen you like that, so, so shocked. With a sort of silent anger..."

"I couldn't admit someone had taken the most precious thing in our life."

They were now next to the house. "May I escort you to your door?" he asked her with a big smile, showing he understood.

"No, you may not. You must." He stopped her in front of the door and kissed her. Then they went in and Harrison took their coats. Mrs. Quinn was already in her room. They went up the stairs and went first to Brian's bedroom. He was sleeping peacefully. Then they went in Colleen's room. She was reading Michaela's old medicine books. Katie was sleeping in her arms.

"How was the evening?" she asked her parents as they softly came in the room.

"It was great," answered Sully. Michaela took Katie in her arms. She hadn't let someone not belonging to the family hold her since last week.

"Grandma told us some stories of you when you were young," said Colleen with an amused look.

"I hope she didn't talk too much," said Michaela, answering her smile. She kissed Colleen goodnight, followed by Sully. Then went in their room and Michaela put Katie down in her bed. Sully came behind his wife and put his arms around her. He sighed in her hair.

"She's becoming more and more as beautiful as you." he said to her as they watched their little girl sleeping.

"Thank you," she said, squeezing his arms with her hands. Then she turned to face him. "Do you think you could do something with these buttons?" she said to him as he put his hands on her back.

"I dunno," he answered, "But I'll try if you don't mind..." He started to kiss her.

"Mind?" she said, repeating what she once told him. "I appreciate your enthusiasm..."

The End