Part 2

A few weeks passed by and Beth was finally starting to feel at home. She loved her students and was enjoying watching them succeed. She also had several parents tell her how happy their children were in her class. Beth spent most of her time at the school so she had not made many friends but she knew that would be senseless anyway. She could not let anyone get too close in case she had to leave once again. A couple of times a week Matthew would stop by in the evening to make sure she was alright and then invite her to dinner at Grace’s. The first few times she had declined his offer but she had finally given in started eating with him once a week. She enjoyed Matthew’s company. He was sincere and he never asked too many questions about her past. He told her about his family and how his mother died and how he wished his father would die. Although she too could relate to the early death of a mother she could never wish her father dead. Matthew also told her about Ingrid and Emma. She knew people stared at them when they went to supper and whispered about how wonderful they would be together. However she and Matthew were nothing more than friends. She did not feel threatened by him and he did not feel threatened by her. They were both mending broken hearts. She finally started to feel some normality in her life. That is until three strangers arrived in town. Beth had left the schoolhouse early for the weekend and was looking forward to going home and relaxing on her front porch. She did not see the men getting off the train that late afternoon.

The men were dressed in nice business suits and it was obvious to the people in Colorado Springs that these men had money. They went immediately to Daniel’s office on what they called official business. When they arrived they noticed his office was closed. Daniel had gone to Manitu to drop a prisoner off. Matthew walked by and asked if he could
help.

“We are looking for a young woman by the name of Anna Conrad. Is there anyone around here by that name?” The oldest of the four said

“No sir. There’s nobody here in Colorado Springs by that name. Can I ask why?”

“We are with the Pinkerton detective agency, and we have been hired to find her.” The older spoke again.

“She might have changed her name.” The younger looking man said.

“Sorry I don’t know of anyone with that name.

“Here is a likeness of her.”

As he unrolled the poster Matthew could hardly believe his eyes. The picture looked exactly like Beth.

“That looks like Beth Parker, the new teacher.”

“Can you tell us where we can find her?”

“She lives about 5 miles north of town. Why do you need to see her?”

“We are not at liberty to say Mr. …..”

“Mr. Cooper, I am the town lawyer.”

“Well Mr. Copper we thank you for your help but we really must visit with Ms. Parker.”

The younger man said with an evil smile. The three men rode out of town but not before loading their weapons. Matthew thought it seemed strange that they wanted to talk to her but felt the need to load their guns. Even if she were a criminal it would not take three armed men to bring her in. He decided that he would follow.

Beth was sitting in a chair by the fireplace just beginning to doze when she heard footsteps outside. She immediately grabbed her gun and moved away from the windows. She heard a knock at the door but she did not answer. She then heard familiar voices. Voices that sent chills down her spine. There was no back door in her small home so she knew she was trapped. There was no place to hide. She knew she had to be the first to act. Suddenly the door flew open the three men stepped in side. The youngest saw Beth in the corner and fired however he missed which gave Beth the time to fire. She hit him square in the chest. As he fell back he hit one of the other men. The oldest man then fired. Beth felt the bullet hit her and she fell and hit the wall. The older man walked toward her while the other attended the youngest man.

“You thought you could escape didn’t you. Did you think that we would let you go unpunished for our brother’s death? Revenge is so sweet. I am sorry to say that I will not get the chance to watch you swing from a rope like our brother did.”

Beth was beginning to lose consciousness. She had feared this day for one long year. She knew there was no way out. He cocked his gun and was about to fire when Matthew came running in.

“Whats going on here?”

“This is none of your concern Mr. Cooper. We are just bringing in a prisoner.” He said still pointing the gun at Beth.

“I never heard of Pinkertons sending three armed men to bring in one unarmed woman.”

“Well how do you explain my brother bleeding to death over there.”

Just before Beth lost consciousness she was able to say “Not Pinkertons.”

Matthew escorted the three brothers to Dr. Quinn’s office and carried Beth on his horse. He had done his best to stop the bleeding. On the trip back she went in and out of consciousness. Once he had thought he heard her ask for Lucas. When they arrived at Dr. Quinn’s clinic the older brother kicked the door open and brought his youngest brother in. Dr. Mike was startled and demanded to know what was going on.

“My brother’s been shot what does it look like. Where is the doctor?” He demanded

“I am the doctor.” She said just as Matthew brought Beth in.

“Matthew what happened?”

“I’ll explain later you have to help her.”

“That woman is a criminal you must help my brother first.”

“I’ll help your brother because his wound is more severe not because you demanded it. Matthew you can apply pressure to her wound to stop the bleeding.”

After five minutes of working on the brother Dr. Mike stopped and turned to the two older brothers.

“I am sorry there is nothing I could do. He is gone. The wound was too severe. I must help Ms. Parker now.”

“She is the one who killed him, just let her die” the younger brother shouted as he stepped in front of Dr. Quinn.

“I am a doctor and it is my duty to help save lives regardless of what they have done now please move aside.”

She rushed over to Beth and began working on her wound. The bullet had hit her a few inches above her heart. She knew she would have to act quickly. Matthew escorted the brothers out of the clinic and over to Daniel’s office. He was hoping Daniel was back so that they could explain their story. He had believed Beth when she said they were not Pinkertons. Luckily when they arrived Daniel had just returned from Manitu. Daniel saw the blood on Matthew and the two brothers.

“Is everything alright Matthew?”

“I am not sure Daniel but I believe these men have a lot of explaining to do.”

The Kellerman brothers explained that they were from New York. They admitted that they were not Pinkertons. They said Beth or as they knew her Anna was a prostitute and had murdered their brother. They had been searching for her for a year. They had only claimed to be Pinkertons because they did not think anyone would help them if they told them they were searching for a prostitute. Matthew could not believe his ears. He would have never guessed she was a prostitute. Emma was a former prostitute and though she changed her ways she was still nothing like Beth. Beth sounded educated and knew the Bible like the back of her hand according to the Reverend. They said the only reason they fired was because she fired first killing their brother. They wanted to press full charges. Daniel told them they would have to wait for the circuit judge to come to town at the end of the week. The two men went to get themselves a room at the Golden Nugget then headed back to Beth’s house. There was something very important they needed.

Michaela was able to remove the bullet and stop the bleeding. Beth was very lucky. If the bullet had it hit her any lower it would have hit her heart and she would be dead. After the surgery she and Matthew moved her to the recovery room. When Michaela was sure she was all right she left the room with Matthew. Matthew retold the story the Kellerman brothers had shared.

“She was a prostitute? Are you sure? I mean I knew there was something strange about her but I never would have guessed she could murder someone in cold blood.” Michaela said.

“What do you mean strange?” Matthew asked.

“Well when she first arrived she had said something about how she felt safe here. She also knew a great deal about medicine.”

“Not to mention the law and economics.” Matthew said.

“That’s true but a lot of times men who seek a prostitute’s company like to talk. She could have learned a lot about several subjects.”

“So you believe the Kellerman?”

“Well I do not have any reason not to. Why? Do you think they are lying?”

“Their story just doesn’t add up. Why would they show up at her house armed if they were just going to bring her back to New York. I followed them to her house because I thought something wasn’t right. I know I heard three shots, but according to the Kellerman’s they said they fired only after she fired. Which means only two shots should have been
fired.”

“Are you sure you are not just remembering it wrong because you want her to be innocent?”

“You think she is capable of being a prostitute and killing two men in cold blood? I have spent a great deal of time with her and I don’t see evil in her. When she wakes up let me know. She is going to need a lawyer.”

“Matthew do you think that is a good idea. I mean you have not even heard her story. Maybe she is guilty. I don’t want you involved with a woman like that.”

“It really does not matter who you want me involved with. I am a man and I will make my own decisions. Besides aren’t you always the one who says we should reserve judgment until we know the whole story? I will be at my office. Please get me when she wakes up.”

Matthew stormed out of the clinic and went straight to his office. He began reading his law books and tried to prepare a murder defense. Michaela thought she heard Beth talking so she went into her room. Beth was talking in her sleep again. What she said was somewhat jumbled but Michaela could make out a few words.

“Lucas, is that you? Don’t leave me again please. Lucas…..”

Michaela wondered who Lucas was and wondered if he was one of her clients or if he was the one who found her clientele. She could not believe that Matthew had befriended her and that Brian had talked so highly of her. He would be crushed when he found out who she really was.

Sully walked in with Katie in his arms.

“Ready to go?”

“No, I will probably stay the night here at the clinic.”

Michaela told Sully what happened and what Matthew had said.

“So how come you don’t believe Matthew?”

“It is not that I do not believe Matthew it’s just I can not think of any other explanation for her behavior..”

“She didn’t act like a prostitute to me. Maybe we should wait till she wakes up and then hear her side.” Sully said.

“That’s what Matthew said. I guess the both of you are right. I will try to talk to her when she wakes up. She has the right to know what she is being accused of, especially since it is murder. I just don’t want Matthew getting involved with someone who will break his heart.”

“According to Matthew they‘re just friends, and it sounds like she is gonna need a friend. Matthew’s gonna need your support too if he is going to defend her.”

“I guess your right, Sully. Why don’t you and Katie stay here with me tonight. I wold feel safer if you were here.”

“Sounds good to me. I ‘ll take Katie to Grace’s and git her some supper. I ‘ll bring ya some back.”

He gave her a small kiss and left for Grace’s. Michaela went and checked on Mr. Alister who was still at her clinic. She knew his days were numbered. She knew he was terribly lonely. He did not have any family as far as she knew and he had always lived out side of town by himself. How sad it must be to live your life alone. She thought about her family and how grateful she was that she had someone to grow old with and children to see grow into adults. Her thoughts then turned to Beth. She too was all alone. Maybe Sully and Matthew were right. She did not seem to act like a prostitute. In fact she sounded quite educated, although she seemed very elusive. She obviously knew the men from somewhere yet she hated to believe that she could have lived such a lifestyle. She went to check on Beth again. As she was checking her bandages Beth woke from her laudanum induced sleep.

“Where am I?”

“You are in one of my recovery rooms. You were shot, but from the looks of the wound I think you are going to be all right. However, you are going to be weak for quite sometime.”

“What about the Kellermans? Is their brother okay?”

“No… He did not survive the gunshot wound. They are going to charge you with his murder as well as the murder of his other brother.”

“His other brother? I only fired once.”

“I believe they are referring to his brother back in New York.”

“They told you about New York? What did they tell you?”

“You need your rest we will talk about this tomorrow morning.”

“No. Dr. Quinn I want to talk about it right now. What did they say?”

“They told the sheriff that you were a prostitute in New York and that you killed their brother and that is why they came looking for you.”

Beth’s eyes widened. “They said what? They don’t believe them do they?”

“Is that story not correct?”

“Don’t tell me you believe them Dr. Quinn. I thought you were different. I can’t believe they would make up a story like that after what they did. They… they….” Beth was still weak but very angry and could not help but fall back into a deep, deep sleep.

Michaela knew she needed her rest and was sorry she had upset her. She knew she would sleep until morning.

Over supper she told Sully about what Beth had said.

“You see maybe she is innocent.” Sully said.

“She did not deny anything, Sully.”

“Well this can all certainly wait until morning. Why don’t we turn in. Katie can barely keep her eyes open.” Sully said.

Michaela checked on her patients twice in the night. Each time she checked on Beth she was mumbling something about Lucas and her father. She knew the explanations would have to wait until tomorrow morning.

The next morning Matthew came to the clinic to see if Beth was awake. He had spent most of the night reading his law books trying to find the best defense to use to help her get an acquittal. Michaela was cleaning her instruments. Sully was playing with Katie.

“Mornin Matthew.” Sully said.

“Mornin Sully. Dr. Mike is Beth awake?”

“I am not sure she was asleep the last time I checked., but you can go and check if you like.”

She was about to follow Matthew to the recovery room when Sully grabbed her arm. “Leave them alone Michaela. If he is going to be her lawyer then you gotta stay out of their business.”

“I need to check on my patient.”

“It can wait. Lets go and git some breakfast from Grace’s and then you can come back and talk to her.”

Michaela reluctantly agreed and left with Sully.

Matthew opened the door to Beth’s room and peaked inside. She was staring out the window.

“Do you mind if I come in?”

“Are you sure you want o be associated with a woman like me? What would Dr. Quinn say about you keeping company with a murderer like me?”

“Who said I believe the Kellerman’s story. If you remember I am the one who kept them from killing you. Did you think I just happened to show up? When I saw them leave town looking for you and loading their guns I followed them because I knew something was not right.”

“I apologize Matthew. I just assumed that since Dr. Quinn thinks I am guilty you would too. Are you here as legal council or as a friend?”

“Both. I would like to represent you but I am also here because I figured you were going to need someone to talk to so that you could explain your story. I am going to need you to be completely honest if you want me to help you though.”

Beth knew it was time to share her story with someone. She knew she could trust Matthew and she knew he would do his best to protect her.

“It is a long story are you sure you have time?” Matthew nodded. “Well, first of all my real name is Anna Conrad. Beth is my middle name and I made the Parker part up. I am from Albany, New York. My father, Alexander Livingston, was the Chief of Staff at one of the best hospitals in Albany. He started noticing that bodies were disappearing from the hospital morgue. When he investigated he found that the Kellerman family, who were morticians, were stealing the bodies and selling them to scientists and universities. Doctors are so anxious to find a cure for everything that they are willing to stop at nothing to find the answers. The Kellerman’s had been stealing bodies for years from all the local hospitals. At first no one noticed because they were stealing the bodies of unknown people but then they got greedy and started stealing several bodies from all of the hospitals. My father found out what they were doing and threatened to take them to court. The oldest Kellerman, Thomas, followed my father home one night and shot him. He was found guilty and hanged. That’s why they said I murdered their brother.”

“I have a few questions about your story. First of all why is your name different from your father’s and why do they blame you for their brother’s death.”

“I married Lucas Conrad three years ago. We met in law school. We opened our own practice in Albany. Lucas and I were the lawyers who took Thomas Kellerman to trial.”

“Where is your husband now?” Beth face grew very sad and tears began to fill her eyes.

“Three days after Thomas Kellerman was hanged the Kellerman’s came to our office. My father had given me the list of all the universities and scientists who had received the bodies. We were going to take the entire Kellerman family to court the next week. When they could not find the list they… shot Lucas. I had stepped out for just a minute to get our supper because we were going to work late. I should have been there. When I came back I saw him lying on the floor in a puddle of blood. Just before he died he told me that it was the Kellermans. He said they were looking for the list and that they were coming for me. He made me promise that I would take the list and run away. He died right there in my arms. I didn’t even get to have a proper funeral for him.”

She could no longer hold back the tears she began to weep profusely. Partly because she still mourned the loss of her husband and partly out of pure fear of what would happen next. She had been holding the story inside for a year and now she had finally let it out. Matthew put his hand on her shoulder and tried to comfort her.

“Why didn’t you just take the information to the judge.”

“I never had a chance. I immediately went home and packed. I had just closed the back door when I heard a window break. The Kellermans had come to kill me too.”

“I still do not understand why you could not take the list to the judge.”

“Some of the names on the list belong to very powerful people from very powerful universities. Some of the names on the Board of Directors for the universities belong to some very powerful politicians. It was hard enough hiding from the Kellermans much less the government. You are the first person I have shared this story with. I have been too afraid to say anything until now. I can’t believe they are actually going to charge me with murder. The only reason I shot Josh Kellerman was because he shot at me. Luckily he missed.”

“Where is the list now?”

“It is in my trunk. I have a false bottom in the trunk. I hid it the hidden compartment. You will have to go and get it for me. I am not sure I have the strength.”

“Don’t worry I will get it. That is the only piece of evidence that we have. It might be the only thing that can save you. I’ll go and get it as soon as I leave. Lucas is the reason you were so understanding about Ingrid isn’t it?”

“Yes, I know what it is like to lose someone you love. People can not expect you to move on so quickly. I would have told you all of this earlier but I was scared. I didn’t mean to deceive you, its just…”

“I know; I ain’t upset. I can understand why you kept it a secret.”

“Thank you Matthew. That means a lot to me.”

“I better head out to your place so I can get the list. I’ll be back as soon as I can. Oh, and don’t worry your secret is safe with me. I do not think it will be wise to say anything to the town until we go to trial, that way the Kellermans can’t think of a way to change their story.”

“I guess you're right, but I hate that people are going to think I am a prostitute. Especially since I was teaching their children. I am glad that I have one person who believes in me though.”

They smiled at each other and Matthew left. Beth felt much better since she had revealed her true identity. She was still very weak and tired so she drifted off to sleep. Matthew would get the list and everything would work out. For the first time in a year she slept peacefully.

As Matthew rode out to Beth’s homestead he replayed the conversation he had had with Beth in his mind. Lucas was the reason she was so understanding about Ingrid. He had finally met someone who was feeling the same thing he was. Sully did experience the same thing but it had been several years since his wife died and plus now he was married to Dr. Mike. He felt sorry for Beth. She did not have anyone to comfort her like he did. At first he had wanted his family to stay away when Ingrid died, but later he was glad they were there for him. Beth was all alone not to mention having to pack up and run from her father and husband’s killers. He still loved Ingrid but he had found himself having feelings for Beth, but now he decided he would back off, because she still seemed too sad about her husband’s death. The last 24 hours seemed like a dream to him. One minute she was a teacher, the next a prostitute and now a lawyer running for her life. He was glad she had some evidence he could use for her defense. He knew otherwise it would be her word against the Kellermans and a judge would be more likely to believe two wealthy educated men than a woman who was accused of being a prostitute. When he arrived at her homestead he noticed all of the windows were broken. He opened the door slowly. Her house had been ransacked. He saw the trunk or what was left of it in the corner. The bottom was missing. He went to look in the corner where he had found Beth to find the bullet in the wall, which would prove that the Kellermans had fired first. The board had been ripped out which left a hole in the wall. All of his evidence was gone. He had no idea how he was going to tell Beth. This was the last thing she needed to hear.

After Michaela and Sully ate breakfast Sully took Katie home. Michaela went back to her clinic and checked on her patients. When she opened Mr. Alister’s door she saw the Reverend praying over him. He looked up and told Michaela that he had stopped by to see Mr. Alister this morning. Mr. Alister had just passed away. He said he would make all of the arrangements. Michaela checked Mr. Alister to confirm that he was dead. She went across the hall into Beth’s room. Beth was awake and was staring out the window.

“I have come to check your bandages.”

“Are you sure you want to associate with a murdering prostitute?”

“Ms. Parker I apologize for the way I acted last night. I didn’t even wait to hear your side. I just can not imagine someone making up such a story.”

“Well Matthew is on his way back from my home with evidence that will prove my innocence.”

“Since you are my doctor and must keep my information secret you may as well know my real name. My name is Anna Conrad but my attorney, your son, suggested that we keep that information a secret for now so please do not say anything. I would share more with you but Matthew asked me to be quite so I guess you will just have to keep on hating me.” Beth said angrily.

“I do not hate you Ms. Par….I mean Ms. Conrad. If Matthew you believes you then that is good enough for me. You have my support and prayers.”

“I am glad to hear you say that Dr. Quinn because I am going to need the support of a woman of status and position to help me.”

“Just let me know what I need to do.”

“As soon as Matthew returns I will let you know. Now, when can I get out of this place?”

“I would like for you to stay in bed for another night.”

“I can stay in bed at home Dr. Quinn, I will just need a little help getting there. I wouldn’t want you staying away from your family on my account.”

“I would prefer you stay another night. We’ll see how you are doing tomorrow and if you wound looks fine then I will let you go home.”

Just then Matthew walked into the room.

“She can’t go home Dr. Mike. There ain’t much left of it.”

“What do you mean there isn’t much left of it?” Beth asked.

“Your place is a shambles. The windows are broken. Part of your wall is missing.”

“What about the trunk?”

Matthew’s eyes dropped. “The trunk was destroyed. The list is gone.”

“It can’t be gone. It is our only piece of evidence that will prove I am innocent.”

Beth tried to get up so that she could get dressed but waves of dizziness overcame her and she fell back onto the bed.

“Ms. Conrad, you are not well enough to get out of bed.”

“I have to search my house the list must be there somewhere. I can’t stay here any longer It is not safe. Don’t you see Matthew, they have won, and I am going to die regardless. The bullet didn’t kill me but the hangman’s noose will.”

“It’s not over yet Anna. We will get you out of this. We do not necessarily need the list.”

“You’re right, we have proof that they fired first. Did you get the bullet from the wall?”

“That’s the piece of the wall that is missing.”

She closed her eyes and the tears started to roll down her cheeks. For the first time she felt like giving up. The Kellerman’s had won.

“We don’t have a chance.” She said.

“What list are you talking about?” Michaela asked.

Matthew and Anna looked at each other. They decided they better tell Michaela the entire story. Once again Anna retold her story. The pieces began to fit into place. She knew about medicine because she had grown up having just her father to raise her. She had gone with him to his office on numerous occasions and helped at his clinic. She knew about the law because she was a lawyer. Michaela was saddened to hear that she had lost her husband. She and Matthew shared so many of life’s tragedies. They had both lost their mother and they had both lost the person they loved. No wonder they had become such good friends. She was sorry that she had thought Anna could be anything less.

Michaela, Matthew and Anna spent the remainder of the afternoon coming up with a plan. Around lunch Sully showed up and they filled him in. He knew there was an explanation. Anna had not seemed like a criminal. He also tried to help them think of a plan. They knew they would not have much time because she would go to trial at the end of the week. Sully finally came up with a plan. Matthew would meet with the Kellerman’s and say he wanted to make a deal. While he had them occupied Michaela would say she was checking on one of Hank’s girls. When Hank let her in the back she would slip into the Kellerman’s room and find the list. Michaela would replace the list with a fake list. Sully would be the look out. Anna would have to wait in her room and hope everything worked out. Two hours later Matthew was in the saloon talking to the Kellerman’s.

“So you want to make a deal Mr. Cooper? May I ask why?”

“This case is going to be strictly her word against yours. No one is going to believe a woman, especially a woman who is accused of being a prostitute. I know I can’t win so I would like to make a deal. If she confesses to killing your brothers then you allow her to get life in prison.”

“No deal. We want her dead.” The younger brother said.

“Think about it. If you let a woman hang then you are going to look like the bad guys and like you have something to hide. You don’t have anything to hide do you?”

“I see your point Mr. Cooper. We will agree as long as she confesses to both murdering our brothers and of practicing prostitution. I know it is not a crime but I want her to admit she is a prostitute. That is the only way we will agree.”

“She ain’t gonna like it but I guess we have no choice. You’ve got a deal.”

“Good, now let me buy you a drink Mr. Cooper.”

As soon as Matthew had sit down to talk to the Kellerman’s Michaela walked up to Hank and told him she needed to check on one of his girls. He had told her to get out of his hotel but she had reminded him that his “girl” would not be able to work unless she treated her. Hank reluctantly agreed and let her go upstairs. When Matthew had gone to Hank to request a meeting with the Kellerman’s he had found out their room number so Michaela would not have to waste time searching all of the rooms. She could not believe she was sneaking in to someone’s room. She had bent the truth and pushed the law a few times to help Sully and the Indians but she had never dreamed she would be doing it for someone she hardly knew. Although she believed Anna she knew she was doing it for Matthew. She wanted to help him with the case, and if he were interested in Anna then she wanted to do what she could to help the relationship. Her heart couldn’t bear to watch Matthew lose another girl he loved. When she walked in the room she did not even have the slightest idea where to look or even how to go about looking for the list. She began looking through the doors and when she couldn’t find anything she looked through their luggage. She knew she was running out of time. Matthew could only talk to them for so long. Just as she was about to give up she saw a small trunk under one of the tables. The table was covered with a blanket but part of the trunk was sticking out. Unfortunately the trunk was locked. She knew the list had to be in the trunk. Luckily she had brought her medical bag with her. She reached in her bag and tried to find an instrument small enough to pick the lock. Sully had once taught her how to pick locks but she never knew it would come in handy until today. Just as she began working on the lock she heard the all too familiar bird call. Sully was warning her that the Kellerman’s were on their way up the stairs. Sully had positioned himself inside the Saloon on the stairs so he could see when the Kellerman’s left their table. As soon as he gave her the signal he would slip out the back. Michaela jiggled the lock a few more times and it opened luckily the list was on top. At least she hoped it was the right list. It names of universities and other important people. She quickly placed the fake list in the chest, closed it and placed it back in its hiding spot. She looked around the room to make sure everything was as it should be. Then she peeked out the door. The hall was clear but she heard the Kellerman’s voices. She quickly closed the door and walked in to the next room, hoping that as she opened the door that the occupant would not be there. She walked in and looked to see if anyone was in the room. A man who from the smell she could tell he had been drinking was passed out on the bed. She said a quick thank you prayer. When she heard the Kellerman’s close their door she opened the door and walked back downstairs. With the list safely in her medical bag, she crossed the street to meet Sully, Matthew and Anna.

Matthew and Sully were waiting in Anna’s room, they knew from the smile on Michaela’s face that she had found the list. She gave it to Anna to read.

“Is that the right list?”

“Yes it looks that way. Did anyone see you?”

“No, I don’t think so. What is the plan now?”

“Well first of all we need to keep this in a safe place. We can’t risk letting it get in the wrong hands again. If the Kellermans figure out we switched the list then they will come looking for Anna.” Matthew said.

“I think you should stay with us just to be safe Anna. That way I can still keep an eye on your gunshot wound.”

“Dr. Quinn I can’t ask you to do that. It could be dangerous.”

“No one has to know you are stayin with us.” Sully said.

“We can sneak you out of here tonight and bring you to our homestead. No one will ever know."” Michaela said.

Anna finally agreed. Michaela, Sully, and Matthew decided to leave and let Anna get her rest. The next few days were going to be hectic. Sully stayed at the clinic with Michaela in case the Kellermans found the fake list. Matthew went back to his office so that nothing would look suspicious. That night Sully and Matthew pretended to be loading supplies on the wagon. When they saw that the streets were clear they went to the back of the clinic and helped Anna out the window and into her hiding position in the wagon. Then the four of them went to the homestead. When they arrived, Matthew carried Anna up to Colleen’s room. Brian met them at the door and looked a little confused. He had heard the rumors about his teacher and he couldn’t believe his ma was letting her stay in their home. He missed having her as a teacher especially since the Reverend was filling in for her. The Reverend was a wonderful preacher but he was not a very exciting teacher. Michaela made sure Anna was comfortable then went down stairs to prepare supper. Sully left to unhitch the wagon and put the horses up for the night. He asked Brian to help him so he could explain what was going on. Matthew and Anna then began working on their defense. Anna loved preparing for a trial but she never thought she would be preparing for her own trial. She explained to Matthew how the proceedings normally went for a criminal case. Although he had defended someone for murder before he still did not know exactly how everything worked. He was amazed at how much she knew and knew that she must have been an excellent lawyer. Anna was impressed with what Matthew had taught himself about legal proceedings. She knew Matthew would make a good lawyer because he honestly cared about people and she knew he had a good heart. Michaela brought their supper to them. She wanted them to spend as much time as possible preparing for the trial. She could tell by the way Matthew looked at her that he liked Anna. She also thought she saw the same look in Anna’s eyes but she knew she must still be mourning the death of her husband. She could not imagine losing Sully. She wondered if Anna was ready to move on. Sully could tell what she was thinking and reminded her to stay out of Matthew’s business. After she had washed up after supper she went to check Anna’s bandages.

“Excuse me Matthew but I need to change Anna’s bandages.”

“Ok, I’ll just put some coffee on. I got a feeling we are going to be up late.”

“Not too late Matthew, Anna needs her rest.”

“I am fine really Dr. Quinn. I am a little sore but I am sure I will be ready to get out of bed tomorrow.” Matthew left them alone.

Michaela unwrapped the bandages and examined the wound.

“It looks like it is healing nicely. I doubt you will be carrying anything heavy for a while though.”

“The only heavy thing I have been carrying is the truth about my past. I feel 100% better now that I have it off my chest.”

“I am sorry you had to lose your husband so early. I can’t imagine losing Sully.”

“I still think about him everyday but I know he would want me to move on. I will always love him but I can’t keep living in the past or running from it for that matter. After the trial I am going to start a new life.”

“Will you stay here?”

“I am not sure. Maybe. New York would bring back too many memories. I guess I never really though t it would be over. I never had a chance to actually think about what I would do when this was all over.”

“Do you not have any family left in New York?”

“No my mother died when I was young. My grandmother died two years ago. She was the one who helped raise me. Lucas and my father were all that I had left and now they are gone too.” Tears started to fill her eyes.

“I am sorry I did not mean to remind you of their death.”

“It’s not that Dr. Quinn. I just realized I have no family. I am all alone.”

“You are not alone. My family will help you. You may call me Dr. Mike if you wish everyone else does. You don’t always have to call me Dr. Quinn.”

“Thank you Dr. Mike, that means a lot. You and Matthew have been wonderful. I don’t know how I will ever repay you.”

“There is no need to repay us. We are glad to help you.”

Matthew knocked on the door and asked if it was ok to come in. Michaela finished wrapping the wound and let Matthew in.

“Remember Matthew not too late. Anna needs her rest.” Michaela said in a motherly tone.

“I promise Dr. Mike.”

After Matthew and Anna finished planning for the big day they began to talk about what Anna would do after the trial.

“Are you gonna stay here in Colorado Springs?”

“I am not sure. I don’t have any family left. There really isn’t any place for me to go. Do you have any suggestions?”

“I would like it if you stayed here.” Matthew said nervously.

“I mean you have friends here that would hate to see you go. I ain’t trying to pressure you but I would like us to get to spend some more time together even if you want us to just be friends.”

“I would like to spend more time with you too Matthew. I still love Lucas but I know it is time for me to move on. As long as we go real slow.” She smiled as she grabbed his hand.

“I know what you mean. I still love Ingrid but I think she would want me to find someone else. I ain’t ready to move fast either. We got our whole lives ahead of us.”

They spent another hour talking before they drifted off to sleep. Matthew fell asleep in the chair with his law book still open.

Michaela woke them up the next morning. She was afraid they had spent the whole night working because she never heard Matthew go to bed. She and Sully smiled when they walked in and found Matthew asleep in the chair surrounded by law books and Anna asleep with the list clutched in her hand. They ate breakfast quickly and then got dressed for the trial. Sully and Matthew had ridden out to Anna’s homestead and brought her clothes back to the homestead before breakfast. Brian planned to stay home from school and watch Katie. Most of the students were staying home because of the trial. Michaela, Sully , Matthew and Anna rode into town early so no one would see Anna.

At 10:15 Matthew and Anna walked over to the church where the trial would be held. Anna was still weak so they walked arm in arm to the church. Neither minded this arrangement. The Kellerman’s and their high-class lawyer from Denver were already there. As Anna looked at the again she could barely contain the desire to strangle them two brothers. She could not think of anyone more evil. They had taken everything away from her. Her father, her husband and in this town her dignity. The people startedarriving at 10:30 and finally the judge arrived at 11:30. Both sides gave their opening arguments. Matthew made sure his did not give away the fact that he had proof that the Kellermans were the real criminals. Mr. Kilpatrick, the Kellerman’s lawyer called his first witness.

“I call Ms. Anna Conrad to stand your Honor.”

The Kellermans looked over at Matthew and gave him a wink he then winked back. They were in for a very big surprise. Anna was sworn in.

“Ms. Conrad could you please state your full name and occupation for the court please.” Mr. Kilpatrick said with an arrogant smile.

“Yes, My name is Mrs. Anna Conrad. I am currently a teacher here in Colorado Springs.”

“That is not the occupation I was talking about Ms. Conrad. Let me rephrase my question. What was you past occupation?”

“My husband, Lucas, and I ran a law firm in Albany.”

The Kellermans immediately looked over at Matthew who refused to acknowledge their evil glares.

“Ms. Conrad is it not true that you were a prostitute in Albany and that you killed Thomas Kellerman?”

“No sir. My husband and I took Mr. Kellerman to court for the murder of my father. He was found guilty and hanged. I have never been a prostitute, nor will I ever be a prostitute.”

“Ms. Conrad may I remind you that you are under oath and if you are found guilty you too will be hanged. The Kellermans are not the criminals Ms.Conrad you are.”

“No sir the Kellermans are the criminals.”

Mr. Kilpatrick not expecting her response could not think of what to say.

“I have no further questions your honor.”

“Mr. Cooper you may cross-examine.” The judge said.

“Mrs. Conrad, please explain why you feel the Kellermans are criminals.”

Anna retold the story once more for the court. The Kellermans could not believe she was telling the truth. However, they thought she did not have any proof. The older brother had taken the list from the chest that morning and burned it.

“Your honor I would like to ask what proof they have to validate her story.” Mr. Kilpatrick asked.

“Your honor I have a list here of all the universities and scientists they sold stolen bodies too.”

Matthew pulled from his pocket the list and signatures of people who had received bodies. The list also had the Kellerman’s signature on it. Anna had looked at the list a hundred times so it was easy for her to forge the Kellerman’s signature on the fake list. The Kellermans looked as if they had seen a ghost. They began whispering to one another. They did not understand how Matthew could get the list when they had burned it this morning. Eric, the older brother, had thought the lock was harder to turn this time. He never guessed anyone would have broken into the chest. The judge reviewed the list. He then suggested the Kellermans start discussing their defense with their lawyer.

“If your signatures match then you and your brother are going to prison for quite a long time. I also suggest you and your lawyer discuss a defense for your murder trial for the murder of Lucas Conrad. Case dismissed.” The judge ordered.

Matthew turned to Anna.

“We did it!” Anna said as she hugged Matthew.

Michaela and Sully congratulated Matthew and Anna. The Kellermans were taken into custody. As they left the church their eyes met Anna’s. They knew they had lost and that they had lost to a woman.

Two days later the Reverend once again congratulated Anna and Matthew on their victory after his sermon. The Sullys, Matthew and Anna spread their blankets on the meadow for their Sunday afternoon picnic. Sully went to get the food out of the wagon and Michaela had to chase after Katie who was chasing a butterfly leaving Anna and Matthew alone.

“What will you do now?” Matthew asked.

“I still can’t believe its over. I do not know how I will ever repay you and your family.”

“Well I could use some help at my law office. I think that would be a perfect way to pay me back.” Matthew said with a smile.

She smiled back.

“Well I owe your family my life so I guess I will have to work there for quite a long time.” She said teasingly.

“You’re right. Our services are pretty expensive. I guess you will just have to stay here forever.”

“I agree but only because I have no other way to pay you back.”

“Everybody ready to eat.” Sully said as he sit down with the basket of food.

Just as they were about to eat Michaela and Katie sit down.

“I can’t look away for a second otherwise she is a hundred feet away.” Michaela said as she began dividing up the food.

“Have you decided if you are going to stay Anna since Mrs. Slicker has decided to teach again?” Michaela asked.

“Well I have to pay my debt to you and Matthew so I am going to work with Matthew at his office until I have repaid my debt.” Anna said as she looked at Matthew and smiled.

“We figure she owes us quite a bit so she will probably be here for a long time.” Matthew said smiling back.

Michaela looked Sully and smiled. After they ate Matthew invited Anna to come to his office so she could decide where to put her desk. When they walked inside the office Anna looked around. She had only been to his office once before. It was small and nothing like the office she and Lucas had owned but it suited Colorado Springs.

“Your desk can go over there next to the window. All of the books I have are on that shelf over there. And the file cabinet next to it is where I keep a record of my cases. The cases ain’t gonna be as exciting as the ones you probably had in New York but with the way Colorado Springs is growin it won’t be long before we get more important cases. The stairs lead upstairs where I live so I’ll always be here in case you need something.”

“Is there anything else I need to know?” Anna asked.

“Yea my door kind of sticks to. You gotta pull real hard to get it to close. If you’re gonna work here you’re gonna have to learn how to close it.” Matthew said with a smile.

Anna pulled the door hard. When she fell backwards into Matthew’s arms this time she did not push away and as their lips met she knew that she was finally home.

The End