Part 2

Michaela stood for a moment with her back to the door, breathing hard. Getting control of herself she hurried outside to the wagon and headed back to the homestead. It was fortunate the horse knew the way because she was in no condition to direct him. She was busy weighing alternatives, trying to decide what to do. It was obvious Thomas had been quite busy telling people that they were to be married, making them believe there was more to their relationship than there really was. If he had started dropping hints about what had happened at the hospital ... Tears came to her eyes. In the nearly two years she'd been here she'd worked hard to earn the trust and confidence of the townspeople. Now Thomas held the power to undo it all with just a few words. He had already planted the seeds to ruin her reputation as a woman though she supposed marrying him would soon quiet him and the rumors as well. If she didn't marry him, he would surely tell about the incident in Boston and that, coupled with the other things he was saying about her would be sure to finish her in this town. She wouldn't be seen as fit to be the town's doctor. And she certainly wouldn't be fit as the children's mother. The only alternative she could come up with , however, was to leave. She supposed she could try taking the children, though she hated to tear them away from the place they called home. Matthew and Colleen had already had that done to them once and she doubted Matthew would even agree to go. And Colorado Springs was the only home Brian had ever known.

Whatever else she did, she would have to keep away from Sully. She knew that Thomas meant what he said and that he wouldn't hesitate to harm Sully if he thought he would get in his way. The horse slowed and to her surprise she saw that they were home. She hopped down from the wagon and unhitched the horse, leading him into the barn. She was brushing him down when the barn door creaked and she heard a quiet voice, "Dr. Mike?"

She closed her eyes. Sully. She had to get him out of here. If Thomas found out he had been here ...

Sully moved closer. "Dr. Mike, I think we needta talk."

Turning her back, she continued grooming the animal. "I don't believe there is anything to discuss" she said with all the coldness she could muster.

Sully was incredulous. "You don't?" He shook his head. "Dr. Mike, are you gonna marry this Thomas?"

Even though she wasn't looking at him, she could feel his nearness. She summoned all her control and said, "Yes. Yes, I suppose I am!"

Sully let out a bitter laugh. "Just like that?"

Michaela continued her barn chores as she replied, "It isn't 'just like that', Sully. We ... we knew each other before." Michaela avoided his eyes so he wouldn't see how terrified she was. If Sully thought she was being threatened, she knew he wouldn't hesitate to confront Thomas.

"So I've heard," Sully said sarcastically. When that failed to get any reaction from Michaela, he smacked the support beam in frustration. "What is wrong with you?" he demanded. "Do ya always go runnin' off into th' arms of every new fella that comes along?"

"I don't know what you're talking about" she responded, wishing he would just go away.

"Don't you?" he said evenly. "Ya certainly seemed t' enjoy Ethan's company, even though ya knew what he'd done t' Charlotte an' th' kids." His voice was contemptuous. "Ya fell for his fancy manners an' his dancin' - until he showed *you* his true colors. Ya got th' Reverend t' propose t' ya when ya wanted t' adopt them orphans an' then right after that ya turned around an' went t' Boston an' fell for that doctor an' *he* asked ya to marry him ..."

"I don't recall our having any commitment to each other at that time" Michaela replied.

Sully closed his eyes. They'd had this conversation before, but he let it pass. "Maybe not, but we do now. 'least I thought we did. Tell me somethin' -- is this your idea of how t' get back at me for Catherine?" She was silent and he put a hand on her shoulder. "Michaela, would you look at me?"

Barely noticing that he'd called her 'Michaela' she said in a low voice, "Sully, just *go*!" She was hurting him and it was killing her but she could see no other way to get rid of him.

Sully removed his hand and looked at her long and hard. She kept her eyes lowered and finally he nodded. "All right, Dr. Mike. I'll go. But I'll tell ya something. If you can't make up your mind ta stick ta one man without flittin' around from this one t' that one, then you ain't ready for marriage. You ain't even ready for courtin'!" And leaving the barn he called to Wolf and ran off into the night.

Michaela lay in bed, listening to the night sounds and resigning herself to the fact that sleep would be a stranger that night. After Sully had left, her control had broken and she'd fallen, weeping, into the hay. Eventually, her tears spent, she had cleaned herself up and maintaining her composure to the best of her ability, returned to the house. Thankfully Colleen and Brian were already sleeping. Matthew sat at the table reading but looked up as she walked in.

"Everythin' all right?" he asked quietly.

Michaela managed a smile. "Everything's fine, Matthew. Thank you for taking care of things."

"No problem" he grinned. Then he hesitated. "Dr. Mike ... could we ... uh ... talk for a moment?"

"Of course, Matthew, what is it?" She sat across from him at the table.

"Well, uh, y' know me an' Ingrid ... I mean, Ingrid and *I* ... went t' supper t'gether t'night ..."

Michaela was concerned. "Did something happen? I wondered why you returned so early ..."

"Somethin' happened all right" he said grimly, then catching Michaela's look, he added "Not t' *us* exactly. It was more like somethin' we heard ..." Now that Matthew had begun he wasn't sure how to go on. Michaela waited patiently while Matthew gathered his thoughts and his courage. Reddening, he continued, "Ingrid an' me, we ate at Grace's ... an', well, Loren, Jake, Horace an' later, Hank, was all there ..." He looked up to see if she was following his story. She nodded encouragingly. So far there was nothing unusual. "Miss Dorothy was there, too an' they were all kinda talkin' ... 'bout you an' Thomas." He paused again to gauge her reaction.

Michaela stiffened but managed to say calmly, "I suppose people have the right to talk."

Matthew looked uncomfortable but continued bravely, "I was just kinda concerned 'bout th' *way* they were talkin' ... I think Thomas has been tellin' folks stuff 'bout when ya knew him back in Boston ... makin' out th' two of you were ... real friendly. Miz Patterson was there an' said she talked t' Thomas this mornin' an' he told her he wanted t' marry ya t' save ya from some scandal ..."

Michaela's lips were pressed together and she was very pale. "Was there anything else?" she asked faintly.

Matthew hesitated then figured he might as well continue. "Th' way Hank was talkin', sounds like Thomas has been havin' a ... a 'good time' over at th' saloon." He looked at Michaela carefully to be sure she got his meaning. "I know ya don't like ta talk about stuff like this but I thought ya oughta know before ya go marryin' him ..." He was beginning to feel miserable about the pain and embarrassment he was causing her and thinking to offer some comfort, he continued, "They quit talkin' though when Sully showed up an' ..."

"Sully was there!?" Michaela slumped in her seat, her humiliation complete.

"He told 'em t' be sure o' their facts b'fore spreadin' gossip" Matthew tried to reassure her. "I'm sorry if all this has upset ya. I just thought ya oughta know what's been happenin' ... I'm worried 'bout Colleen an' Brian" he stated frankly. "They're already upset that ya don't seem t' care for Sully anymore -- that you're talkin' 'bout marryin' Thomas when you an' Sully are s'posed t' be courtin'. I just wouldn't want them t' hear the folks in town talkin' that way about ya, sayin' things that maybe aren't true ..."

"Of course they aren't true!" Michaela found her voice.

"I just don't wanna see them hurt ..." Matthew was feeling the weight of his brotherly responsibility. "Or you, either" he added kindly.

"I believe I can take care of myself" Michaela told him, "but you're right about the children. They don't deserve that kind of humiliation. I'll ... I'll think of something." She managed a smile for her eldest son. "Thank you for ... telling me. It must have been quite difficult for you."

" 's all right" Matthew told her. "Let me know if there's anything I can do." Michaela nodded and Matthew rose from the table. Bending to kiss her cheek he said,

"Well, guess I'll turn in. G' night."

"Good night, Matthew" Michaela had held back her tears until Matthew closed the door behind him. Now she lay in bed, her heart breaking, knowing she'd done what she had to do. It was all over for her and Sully, anyway. Despite the fact that it appeared he had stood up for her in town, he would certainly have questions about her reputation after what he'd heard. Once he found out about the hospital incident he wouldn't want to have anything to do with her. He, who had always had such confidence in her, who had been the only one, other than Charlotte, to trust her medical skills when she first came to town. A sense of regret overwhelmed her. Perhaps Sully was right. Perhaps she didn't have the capacity to remain loyal to just one man. Perhaps marriage wasn't for her. She knew now she could never marry Thomas. Now that Thomas had been making insinuations about their relationship and the gossip had begun to spread, people were going to believe what they wanted to, no matter how exaggerated or untrue. Matthew had a point. If the gossip were allowed to continue, the children would begin to suffer, as well. It seemed her only option was to leave Colorado Springs, move far away -- perhaps even to Canada -- take a new name, begin a new life. Tongues might continue wagging for awhile, but with no further fuel, the fires of gossip would soon die down. In the long run, the children would be better off without her, without someone who'd been living a lie, someone who was afraid to love and be loved, who was unfit to be a mother or a wife. Mentally she began composing a note to the children and as the first fingers of dawn stretched across the sky, she closed her eyes for an hour of fitful sleep.

Sully sat by his lean-to slowly feeding sticks into the fire. Next to him, Wolf sighed and whined sympathetically. Sully felt curiously empty after the powerful feelings that had drawn him to the homestead. It was over. Just like that. Tears stung his eyes as he wondered what he could have done differently. He had, of course, heard the line about 'commitment' before -- when she was considering the Reverend's proposal. Maybe he hadn't made a commitment to her then, at least not in so many words. But didn't actions count for anything? Truth was, he had been devoted to her from almost the first moment he saw her. He had taken her -- and the children -- into his heart. But at the time he was still feeling the grief and guilt over Abigail and found it hard to say the words. He'd always been better at action than words. He'd been there for them, brought them food, stovewood, protection. And when he finally did find the words, and tried to back them up with a kiss or a caress, she skittered away.

He remembered his conversation with Cloud Dancing last Thanksgiving. Maybe he wasn't up to loving a woman again. He put his head down on his knees, knowing he would just have to ride out the sadness and live through the pain. As he let his thoughts flow, he suddenly felt an overwhelming sense of unease. Something wasn't right. As painful as it would be, he made up his mind to meet this Thomas tomorrow, to talk with him -- make sure he was going to do right by Michaela. He may have lost her, but at least he could assure himself that she would be safe and happy.

Michaela kept her regular hours at the clinic the next morning wanting as much as possible to keep up a semblance of normality. She would close at noon and hurry back to the homestead while the children were still in school. That way she could be well away before anyone was the wiser.

It was a slow morning and she was working on updating patient records when Thomas burst into the clinic.

"Michaela!" he exclaimed, "here you are, my blushing bride-to-be" He leaned over to give her a kiss which she withstood with fortitude, reminding herself that soon she would be free of him. "I'm just on my way to speak to the Reverend, to make arrangements for our wedding tomorrow. Shall we keep the ceremony private, or do you have a very few special friends you'd like to invite?"

"I think private would be best" she said quietly. "That way no one will feel left out."

"Very good" Thomas beamed. "Then it's off to Denver for our honeymoon! Shall I come pick you up for lunch after I speak to the Reverend?"

Michaela felt an instant of panic. "N ... no -- I don't think that's a good idea!"

Thomas smiled indulgently. "Superstitious? Well then, I'll send word about what the Reverend and I decide. Do you think noon would be a good time if that's all right with him?"

"Noon would be fine" Michaela said faintly.

"Good! So, until then, I'll leave you to your preparations. Oh -- and I'm having a dress brought over this afternoon -- my wedding gift to you. I'll look forward to seeing you in it tomorrow. Until then ..." and blowing her a kiss, he was gone.

Michaela realized she'd been holding her breath and let it out in a gasp. She closed her eyes and felt her resolve to be gone from this place strengthen.

A knock at the door startled her and she went resolutely to open it. She'd been hoping she would be without patients this morning, but she did have a job to do -- at least for one more hour. When she opened the door she saw it was not a patient -- worse, it was Dorothy.

Sully woke up early and made it to town before Michaela. He watched as she arrived and waited patiently until Thomas emerged from the saloon and crossed to the clinic. When Thomas left the clinic and headed up the road toward the church, Sully fell into step with him. They walked along together for awhile until Thomas suddenly noticed him. His lip curled. "What do you want, half-breed?"

Sully remained silent, not taking the bait and Thomas halted abruptly, turning to face him. "You know, I'm not surprised Michaela took up with someone like you" he said. "Back home she was always taking up for the stray dogs and outcasts. She was always the first to treat the immigrants, the coloreds ... She was assigned the undesirables because she was a woman, but she actually liked it." He shook his head. "Now they tell me she treats savages, even uses some of *their* medicine!" He shook his head. "I'd think if you really cared about her, you'd keep her away from them, I mean, knowing what goes on and all ..." He looked at Sully who stared at him blankly, forcing Thomas to elaborate. "Well, I know ... that is, I've heard ..." he lowered his voice, "these savages like to 'join with' the whites when they can. To ... to improve their stock ..."

Sully was incredulous as Thomas elaborated. This man was serious. He supposed such things might happen from time to time, and he had heard that the dog soldiers sometimes took captives and ... hurt ... them, but Thomas was delving far into the realm of fantasy, speaking as if every white person who came near the Indian camps was in the gravest danger. He began walking again and Thomas strode beside him continuing to share his 'knowledge' of the local 'savages'. "As soon as we are wed, you can be sure I'll put a stop to her nonsense ... no more associating with the wrong kind of people, no more treating undesirables ..." Sully began to let Thomas's words wash over him as he to wondered what in the world would compel Michaela to agree to marry such a man. Hearing David's name, he began paying attention again. "It was after David died that her behaviour really became questionable. She got careless in her work. She latched onto me as a replacement for David, similarly, I'm sure, to the way she latched onto you. She is quite compelling! She was desperate for someone to love. Of course, once her father died the hospital had no more use for her - - they had kept her purely for his sake. That's when she decided to come West." He sighed. "That was also when I finally realized I couldn't live without her."

"Do you love her?" Sully spoke for the first time.

Thomas looked at him, startled. "Of course I do" Realization dawned in his features. "Look, I'm sorry, Mr. ...Sully. I guess you feel you lost out here." They had reached the church. Thomas smiled. "Michaela chose me. That's why I'm here to speak to the Reverend about arranging our wedding. I'd -- ah -- invite you to join us for the festivities, but, ah, we're going to keep things very private. For all our sakes I think it best that you stay away from her from now on." His eyes darkened. "I have already forbidden her to see you or speak to you again and the same goes for the children. It is best to make a clean break all around. I have friends, Mr. Sully who will help me out if I ask them to. Please don't make me ask them." Then, lightening up again, he clapped Sully on the shoulder. "Face it, Mr. Sully. She's better off. Like should stick with like." He turned and loped up the steps of the church.

As Thomas disappeared into the building Sully muttered, "You are *nothing* alike!"

Reluctantly Michaela stood back to admit Dorothy to the clinic. Dorothy looked into her eyes sympathetically. "Michaela," she said, grasping her friend's hands.

"Dorothy, I ... I ..." Michaela couldn't believe how bad the timing of this visit was.

As if reading her thoughts, Dorothy said, "I won't stay long. I just came t' be sure I had my facts straight. After that fiasco with your supposed engagement t' th' Reverend... well, I just don't wanta print anything without checkin' with you first."

Michaela's thoughts raced. She appreciated Dorothy's seeking her out for the facts and she longed for someone with whom to share the truth -- to unburden herself, to be sure the children would be cared for. But she wasn't sure she could trust Dorothy. They really hadn't been seeing eye to eye lately. Her attitudes about the Indians, about Robert E and Grace, left her wondering what kind of friend Dorothy would be in this situation. But Dorothy's natural inquisitiveness would not be satisfied until she got the whole story and she had a reporter's knack for getting at the facts. Much as Michaela hated it perhaps a bit of dissembling would be the best way out. In fact, it might enhance her alibi in the long run. It was best and far safer that *no one* know about her plans.

"Dorothy," she said, thinking quickly, "I was just about to go up into the hills to visit some patients and deliver some medicines, but if you'll be available at around 5:00 perhaps we can get together then and I can give you the whole story." As she spoke, Michaela picked up her medical bag and cloak.

Dorothy was a bit taken aback at this unusual abruptness from Michaela, but she murmured, "That ... that should be fine. Maybe we can have an early supper at Grace's, if that wouldn't complicate things with the children ..."

"That would be wonderful, Dorothy," Michaela said swiftly. "But now I really must go." She ushered Dorothy out, hanging a sign on the door saying that she'd gone to visit outlying patients. With a "See you at 5" she hurried away, leaving Dorothy shaking her head on the clinic porch.

Picking up the wagon from Robert E, Michaela thought , In for a penny, in for a pound. and gave him the same story about visiting her patients in the hills, keeping her eyes averted because she really did hate lying. Then, having bought herself about 5 hours of time, she hurried home.

* * * * *

Michaela packed hurriedly but efficiently. She had learned a lot from Sully about what to take and what to leave behind on a journey such as the one she had in mind. Another reminder of Sully. Steeling herself, Michaela continued her preparations. She had written her letter to the children and left it on the table for them to find. She had told them how she had tried to love them the best she could but that there were things in her past that were catching up with her and that it would be best if they were parted for awhile. The words sounded hollow even as she wrote them -- was she any better than Ethan, taking off this way? How would they handle still another abandonment? Memories assaulted her - the first time she met the children at Charlotte's boarding house ... the fear and reluctance she had felt about taking the children in after her death ... and falling in love with the children, making them her own. Their joys were her joys and their pain her pain. And by her leaving she knew she would be causing them pain. It was certainly causing her pain. But the greater pain might come in her staying. A small part of her knew she was not behaving rationally, but events of the past several weeks had conspired to place her beyond rational thought. Losing Sully, losing a friend, the children's endangerment from abusive teachers and swindlers and morphine-dependent thieves suddenly seemed to her to be all her fault. Reminding herself that they were better off without her, she continued resolutely with her plans, leaving a separate note for Matthew advising him on who to turn to for help and advice in caring for Colleen and Brian. Finally she picked up her blanket roll, haversack and medical bag, slung the leather saddlebags Sully had made her over her shoulder.

She stroked the smooth leather, remembering the birthday when Sully had made them for her. She remembered his shyness as he presented them to her and how handsome he had looked in his suit, freshly bathed and cleanly shaven. Most of all, she remembered the wonder and the terror of that first brief, sweet kiss ...

Closing her eyes as if to shut out the memories, she stepped outside, then took a last look around at the house that had been her home for the better part of two years ... the house that Sully had built for Abigail and offered to her as a place to stay when everyone else had wanted her to put her on the first stage back to Boston ... Her eyes fell on the shingle nailed to the side of the door -- "M. Quinn, M.D. , Medicine Woman". She reached up to touch it, remembering that first Christmas when Sully had presented it to her. It spoke of so many things -- of friendship, of trust and confidence, of her relationship with the Cheyenne ... it was Chief Black Kettle who had given her the name 'Medicine Woman'.

Regretfully she left the shingle where it was and headed for the barn where she dropped her load and led Flash outside to saddle her. As she laid the saddle across the horse's back, she looked at the intricate designs worked into the leather and traced the hand-tooled 'Dr. Mike' with her finger. Again her thoughts raced -- the Cheyenne, Snowbird -- the gift of a horse, the gift of a saddle -- Sully ... Must *everything* remind her of Sully? She thought about Sully teaching her to dress and act like a man when she was determined to ride Flash in the Colorado Sweepstakes -- going over the course with her, advising her on how best to ride it. And when it was over and Flash had won (even if her victory was not acknowledged by the race officials) he had plucked a rose from the wreath encircling the animal's neck, and handed it to her, telling her that in spite of the getup, she was still a woman in his eyes ... How could she have lost her trust in such a man?

Her own eyes filled with tears and she put her head down on the saddle, smelling the leather, an odor she always associated with Sully, and crying, "Oh Sully, what have I done to you? What have I done to *us*?" Suddenly she felt hands on her shoulders and startled, she let out a scream.

When Michaela felt the hands on her shoulders her immediate thought was that Thomas had followed her home, could see what she was up to, that he had heard her utter Sully's name. She was startled and let out a scream and she felt the hands tighten on her even as she began to struggle. Then a voice penetrated her consciousness, a voice she had come to love and thought never to hear again. "Dr. Mike, Dr. Mike! Shh, it's all right, it's all right! It's me, Sully" The arms pulled her close and held her in a strong embrace and she began to relax.

Suddenly she stiffened and struggled to pull away, glancing around with fearful eyes. "Sully, you can't stay here. It's not safe! Thomas ..."

"Thomas is at the saloon gettin' drunk. I made sure o' that 'fore I came out here." The familiar, beloved voice had a calming effect on her as he slipped one arm around her shoulders. "C'mon, let's get you inside."

Michaela pulled away, resisting her feelings and shook her head. Keeping her eyes lowered, she said, "No, Sully. Please. I have to go..."

Sully put a hand on her shoulder and spun her around to face her. With a gentle finger under her chin, he raised her face to look at him. Softly he said, "I ain't lettin' ya go like this, Dr. Mike. If I have ta follow ya clear back t' Boston again, I won't leave ya until I find out what's goin' on." When Michaela started to protest once more, he put a finger on her lips and said, "Can ya look me in th' eye and tell me ya really don't love me, that ya really wanta leave me an' th' kids?" Her eyes met his and he found his answer. Tightening his arm around her, he said, "C'mon. I'll fix ya some tea."

Reluctantly, Michaela submitted as he helped her across the yard and into the house. He seated her at the table, then built up the fire in the stove, filled the kettle and put it on to boil and rummaged about in the cupboard for tea. When he finally had her settled with a steaming mug between her hands, he sat down beside her and said, "Ya wanna tell me what's goin' on?"

Her reply was so low he could not understand it, so he moved closer and asked her to repeat it. "I can't" she said at last.

"Can't repeat it or can't tell me?" he asked, puzzled.

"Can't ... can't tell you" she sighed, looking away.

"Why not?"

"If I tell you, you'll ... you'll wind up hating me and I couldn't stand that!" She closed her eyes. "You must already hate me after the way I've behaved." Tears trickled down her cheeks. "That's why I must leave. You were right. I'm not fit for courtship or marriage ... or motherhood."

"Have ya thought about what this ... ya just walkin' off ... 'll do t' th' kids?"

"Oh, Sully, of course I have!" Michaela said almost impatiently.

Sully shook his head uncomprehending. "Then what is so bad that you feel like you gotta just pack up an' leave? It ain't gonna stay here, y' know -- it's gonna follow you wherever ya go until ya make peace with it an' put it behind ya!"

"I don't know if I can" Michaela said in such a small voice that he had to lean close in order to hear her.

Sully squatted beside her so he was looking directly into her eyes. "Michaela, there ain't nothin' so bad that you can't tell me. Nothin' you could say that would make me stop lovin' you!" He bowed his head saying almost to himself, "I couldn't stop lovin' you if I tried. ' s why I had ta follow you back here when ya left town in such a hurry." Seeing her startled look, he grinned sheepishly. "Thomas an' me talked this mornin' an' I didn't like what I heard. Figured I'd keep an eye on ya 'til I was more clear on what was goin' on."

Michaela was touched and this time Sully's calling her 'Michaela' had not gone unnoticed. She saw those blue eyes looking deeply into her own and suddenly she wanted to tell him everything. "I ... I don't know where to start" she ventured.

" Why don't ya start at th' beginning?" he suggested gently.

"What time is it?" she asked suddenly.

" ' bout one. But don't worry 'bout th' kids" he said, reading her mind. "Matthew's gonna pick 'em up after school, keep 'em busy 'til suppertime. Kinda thought we might need th' time t' talk in private."

As always his perceptiveness, his ability almost to read her mind amazed her. He drew close and took her hands in his. His look was compelling. "Tell me, Dr. Mike" he implored.

Gathering her courage, Michaela began her tale. "I met Thomas when I was working at the hospital with my father. His father, Ernest Bradford, was administrator of the hospital. He didn't believe in women doctors but my father was loved and respected and one of the top doctors at the hospital and he insisted that his partner be allowed to practise medicine there. Thomas ... came into my life at a very bad time for me. I had just received news of David's death and I was devastated. He came to me as a friend, as someone I could talk to, share my feeling with". She laughed ruefully. "Despite a houseful of sisters, I've always been able to relate to men better than women. As time went by and we got to know each other better, it felt as if our relationship was beginning to change. I thought I might be falling in love with him and he with me" She glanced briefly at Sully, biting her lip but his look continued to be one of encouragement and concern. She continued, "David was always quite proper, by Boston standards, in our relationship. He kissed me when we got engaged, and there were occasional, brief kisses after that. Thomas's kisses were different" She paused, remembering a conversation she'd had with Colleen last fall on this very subject. Her gaze moved to Sully whose brow was creased with concern. He nodded for her to go on. "I ... at first I enjoyed Thomas's kisses" she went on carefully, feeling her cheeks warm, "despite what my mother had warned me about how 'proper ladies' behave. But ... things ... things changed ... He became more ... demanding. He insisted on kissing when I just wanted to walk or talk. Soon all he wanted to do was kiss ... and more." She was breathing rapidly now, having trouble getting the words out. "He asked me to marry him and I asked him to give me time to consider his proposal. I talked with my sister, Rebecca, told her what had been happening and she helped me to see that Thomas was not in love but infatuated -- unhealthily obsessed -- and that if I married him I would probably regret it for the rest of my life." She looked at her hands. "It was a very hard decision for me to make. As far as I was concerned I was saying good-bye to my last chance for love. My last chance for marriage and a family". Looking up again she saw it was now Sully who was looking at his hands. Tears filled her eyes but she plowed on bravely. "I told him the next day -- that I was flattered by his proposal -- but was unable to accept. That's when he got ugly and I knew that Rebecca had been right in advising me not to marry him. He didn't know how to accept 'no' as an answer. I don't think he heard it very often -- I don't think he'd ever been denied anything in his life. He kept ... kept coming after me -- kept asking me. He said he knew I really wanted to, that I was just being coy. He'd grab for me, try to kiss me. He always managed to get to me when no one else was around."

"Didn't ya tell nobody?" Sully wanted to know.

"There was no one to tell. My mother thought he was wonderful. She couldn't understand why I wouldn't marry him. I ... I couldn't tell her about how he'd been behaving. We just didn't talk about such things. I couldn't tell Father. He would've confronted Thomas or his father or both. He would have lost his hospital privileges, perhaps worse. His reputation as a doctor would have been called into question. Around there it was Thomas who could do no wrong" Michaela paused to collect herself. Sully reached over with a clean handkerchief to wipe the tears from her eyes. She gave him a brief, grateful smile and went on, "I avoided him as much as possible and then he began to travel a lot on business for which I was very grateful. Then ... then came a time when I was on night duty at the hospital. That involved keeping patients comfortable, giving them any medication necessary, monitoring their conditions. I was ... I was working in the ward for indigents -- it's where they usually placed me, as a woman -- they didn't trust me with the regular patients. I didn't mind. The patients were wonderful. I was caring for an elderly little man named Mr. Silvestri. He was one of a small group of Italian immigrants who lived in a section of Boston. He was a sweet man, who spoke hardly a word of English. But we communicated and I learned a few words of Italian. He called me 'cara' which means 'dear'. He had a lung condition that needed constant monitoring. Sometimes when he coughed, the phlegm would nearly choke him. He had to be held up in a sitting position, leaning forward, until the fit passed. This was especially a concern when he was asleep. We tried to prop him up as much as possible but he bore constant watching. That night ... that night Thomas returned after having been away several weeks. He swept into the room where I was sitting with Mr. Silvestri, went down on one knee and proposed to me again. I declined, of course, and he began to berate me. I didn't want him to wake my patient so we went out into the hall where I told him quietly but unequivocally to stop bothering me -- that I never wanted to see him again." Michaela's tears were coming faster now. "He ... he pushed me up against the wall. He said, 'If you send me away you're going to miss this' and he kissed me again hard. I tried to push him away but he was too strong. One of the nurses walked by and saw us but didn't say anything. She knew who Thomas's father was. I ... I don't know what it looked like to her -- if she could see me struggling. Later she just said she had seen us kissing in the hall. In a few minutes she was back, crying that Mr. Silvestri was dead. While we'd been out in the hall, he'd had one of his fits. He choked to death! A patient died and it was my fault, my negligence." She was really crying now.

Sully tightened his grip on her hands and Michaela regained control of herself enough to go on. "There ... there was no inquiry. The man had no family. He was buried in a pauper's grave. I was reprimanded but no action was taken because of who I was with at the time. Nobody cared about the man. The hospital was probably glad because they had one fewer charity patient." She let out a sigh. Her tears were spent. Very calmly she said, "I should have been attentive to my patient instead of getting carried away by my emotions. I was negligent and a man died as a result. Now Thomas is threatening to tell the town about what happened if I don't marry him."

"D' ya think the folks in town'll care 'bout somethin' that happened years ago back in Boston?" Sully asked.

"I don't know" Michaela replied. "I feel as if I'm just barely beginning to gain the people's confidence here. They don't need another excuse to think me incompetent or to think that any woman is just too emotional to be a doctor!" She looked up at Sully, her eyes filled with agony and remorse.

Sully looked at her intently. "You're a *good* doctor!" he assured her. "Ya took th' bullet outa Black Kettle's neck right here" he inclined his head toward the table. "Ya fixed up Robert E when he got burned and no one else would touch him. Ya repaired Loren's hernia. Ya even operated on your own son's brain! What more proof d' ya need? It ain't like ya to run off like this, t' not stay and fight ..."

"But Sully," Michaela's tears began afresh. "What if there's something really wrong with me? What if Thomas is right and I really *did* want to be with him that night? Why, even when I'm with you I ..." she stopped, embarrassed, then went on, "You said yourself that I 'go running into the arms' of every man who comes along! How can I do that and still call myself a doctor, or a mother ... or ... or a ..." she glanced at Sully, then dropped her eyes and let the sentence hang.

"Look at me, Dr. Mike" Sully ordered and she looked up again. "I was angry when I said that. It's true ya got somethin' in ya, somethin' beautiful that draws folks to ya. It's like a special glow inside ya -- it's what makes ya a *good* ma and a *good* doctor." His voice got lower. "It's what makes ya a good friend. There's nothin' wrong with that. Ya just gotta be aware of it and learn ta ... ta manage it."

" 'Manage' it?"

Sully searched for the words he wanted. " Ta ... ta be aware of the effect ya have on folks -- so th' ones who want be close to ya don't get ... well ... burned."

Michaela heaved a sigh. "That's why I decided to leave, Sully -- I don't want to stay here and keep 'burning' people. I've already hurt you and the children so much ...If Thomas comes after me, at least it will be only me -- he won't be hurting you or the children."

Sully said, "Ya think it won't hurt us if ya go away an' we never see ya again?"

"Then what do you suggest I do?" Michaela asked, a note of desperation in her voice.

"Why don't ya just stay here?" Sully said logically.

"And marry Thomas?" Michaela asked incredulously.

"Is gettin' married all ya ever think about?" Sully asked half-jokingly. "Why don't ya just try tellin' the truth?" Seeing Michaela's puzzled look he said exasperatedly, "Don't ya remember back with that woman who burst her appendix? How I told ya the way ta get people ta trust ya is ta tell the truth? Didn't that work out all right for ya? Ain't this the same thing? Don't ya think th' rumors folks'll make up t' explain ya goin'll be worse than th' truth and'll hurt th' children more?" He looked at her imploringly, "Wouldn't it be better just t' stay here, let th' truth out an' get it over with?"

"I don't know if I could go through telling that whole story again, Sully" Michaela said, shaking her head.

"Ya don't hafta tell the whole thing. Just tell about what happened in the hospital -- how ya left the room and the man died. Ya don't hafta say why. Any way ya tell it has got ta be more accurate than what Thomas would say!"

Michaela looked tired. "Perhaps you're right, Sully. I'll ask the Reverend to call a meeting tomorrow. I guess the worst that can happen is that I'll be dismissed as town doctor and then I'd have to leave town, anyway."

"That ain't gonna happen, Dr. Mike" Sully said gently. "The town needs ya too much".

"That's kind of you, Sully, and you are right about one thing -- the townspeople ought to know the truth. But it still might not get rid of Thomas" she warned. "He won't be able to threaten me about my past but he might still try to harm you or the children ... he might still try to ruin my reputation out of spite ... I really don't know *what* he might try to do ..."

Sully leaned forward and gently kissed her cheek. "You take care o' tellin' the truth, an' leave Thomas t' me."

"Sully ... ?" Michaela wasn't sure what he meant.

Sully grinned. "I got a plan," he told her, "that'll send Thomas runnin' straight back t' Boston for good -- outa th' territory, anyway."

"Sully, what are you ..."

He silenced her by placing a finger on her lips. "Trust me" he said.

Michaela felt as if a heavy burden had been lifted from her shoulders. Thank you, Sully." She tentatively put her arms around him and he responded in kind and they stood, holding each other close. "Will ... will you stay for supper?" she asked.

"Yep" he responded immediately. Hands on her shoulders he backed away to face her. "I'm also stayin' th' night!"

"I beg your pardon?"

"I'm stayin' here tonight" Sully said stubbornly. " 'f ya bring me a blanket I can sleep on the porch but I ain't leavin' ya here alone." Seeing that Michaela still didn't get it, he spelled it out. "I wanna be here in case Thomas gets it into his head ta try somethin'. He knows where ya live an' he's drunk an' I don't want you alone here before this whole thing's resolved. Now are ya gonna get me that blanket or not?"

Michaela's heart melted and she felt herself tearing up again. "It may rain before morning," she said. "You can sleep on the floor. I mean, well, you have before". She sobered for a moment and they glanced at each other briefly, each remembering that it was for Catherine he had last spent the night on the floor.

"You sure about this?" Sully asked.

"Come on, I'll get you that blanket" Michaela said. "And Sully?"

"Hmmm?"

"Thank you" she dropped her eyes, then looked up into his.

"He reached out and touched her lightly on the arm. "You're welcome" he said.

Michaela drifted off to sleep that night, listening to Sully's steady breathing and feeling safer and happier than she had in days. After their talk that afternoon, she and Sully had gone to see the Reverend who appeared relieved that there would be no wedding tomorrow. "There was just somethin' about that fella that made my hair stand on end" he admitted. He had suggested that a town meeting be called for noon - the same time he and Thomas had agreed on for the wedding. He concurred with Sully that Michaela need only give the abbreviated version of her tale to the town, leaving out most of the details about her relationship with Thomas. He also told them that he himself would visit Thomas that afternoon to inform him of these new arrangements. Michaela was grateful to have this task removed from her hands.

That evening, with Sully's help she had explained to the children about how a man in her care had died in Boston long ago. She told them only that Thomas knew about it and hoped to use it as a way to get her to marry him. Colleen looked puzzled. "But I thought he said he loved ya" she said. "That don't sound like somethin' someone who cares about ya would do!"

Glancing at Michaela and then back at Colleen Sully said, "You're right, Colleen. People who love each other never try to make them do things by threatenin' them."

"You'd never make Ma marry ya, would ya, Sully?" Brian told his hero ingenuously. "You'd just ask her!" He leaned closer to Sully and lowered his voice confidentially. "Betcha she'd say 'yes'" he whispered.

Seeing Michaela's and Sully's embarrassment, Matthew jumped in quickly, "Is everybody ready for pie?"

"Good idea!" Michaela and Sully said simultaneously, jumping up and bumping into each other. Michaela felt herself blushing even now as she recalled the incident.

Sully had convinced her that she needn't let the children know how close she had come to leaving. It was touching how supportive they were once she'd told them her story. Matthew, who had suspected something amiss all along, was ready to go into town and tackle Thomas single-handedly. Sully deterred him by promising he had a plan and enlisting Matthew's help. Michaela still didn't know what he had in mind, but she did know she had to trust him. Colleen and Brian had kissed and hugged her harder than usual when they went to bed. "You're a great doctor, Ma!" Brian had exclaimed enthusiastically.

"We love you, Dr. Mike" Colleen said as she hugged her. "And so do all the folks in town".

Michaela hoped she was right. She still felt nervous about tomorrow, but she knew with her family's support she would be all right. She had always believed that telling the truth was the best option and tomorrow she would test that belief. Sully had promised to stand by her and for that she was grateful. At last, overcome by the events of the day, she fell into a deep and dreamless sleep.

Timothy Johnson was not a stranger to saloons, although you might say the Reverend Johnson was. So it was with distinct unease that he had entered Hank's establishment late that afternoon, looking about uncomfortably and blinking in the dim light.

"Hey, Rev!" Hank called out heartily, "what c'n I set ya up with? Decide not t' be such a stranger now your past's caught up with ya?"

The Reverend felt himself blushing but he ignored Hank's barbs. Since he'd been forced to confront his past as a gambler recently, he had tried to think of the comments and the teasing he endured as a kind of purging or punishment for his sins. He knew that chapter of his life was over and the townsfolk knew it, too. But he also knew it was the kind of thing that could rear its ugly head again and again in various situations and this was just one of those times. So his voice remained friendly when he replied, "G'd evenin', Hank. I'm not here for a drink. I'd like to talk t' Thomas Bradford. Is he around?"

Hank stared at him for a minute, then pointed at a corner table with his cigar, adding, "Don't know if he's up to talkin' right now. Been havin' kinda a one-man bachelor party since around noon." He shook his head. "Guess he holds his likker okay, though. Still seems able t' stand an' walk ... an' ... ah ... do other things." He grinned wickedly and raised his eyebrows, enjoying the Reverend's discomfiture.

Johnson approached the table and Thomas greeted him with a raised glass. "Come join me, Timothy!" he cried. "Surely you can partake just this once to help me drink a toast to my last night of bachelorhood and to tomorrow's wedding and my lovely bride!"

The Reverend reached the table and stood over Thomas, not sharing his joviality. "Actually, Mr. Bradford," he spoke grimly, "There's not gonna be a weddin'".

" 'Mr. Bradford'? Timothy, didn't I tell you ..." the import of the Reverend's words suddenly dawned on him. "I beg your pardon ... what did you say?"

"There is not going to be a wedding. At least not tomorrow. Dr. Quinn came to me for counsel and I advised her not to act in haste." The Reverend had hoped that putting things in this light would take the onus off Dr. Mike. She hadn't said in so many words, but he had the feeling Thomas may have been threatening her.

Thomas chuckled. "On the contrary ... I thought I made it clear when I spoke to you earlier that my acquaintance with Dr. Quinn is of long standing and that we actually became engaged before she left Boston. I would not call that 'acting in haste'. Far from it!"

The Reverend worked hard to keep his expression neutral. "Nevertheless, I feel it best that we postpone things for awhile. Dr. Quinn has some unresolved issues which she feels she must bring before the town before she makes a commitment of this magnitude. I agreed that it would be best for her to clear her conscience and offered her the time we originally set aside for the wedding to call a town meetin'. She can make a clean breast of things and then we can talk about your marriage and maybe arrange some joint counseling to be sure all issues are resolved." As he spoke he glanced heavenward, silently asking forgiveness in case this might be considered lying. He had no intention of blessing their union now or ever and Dr. Mike had made it clear that the very idea repelled her. Sully had said he had a plan for getting rid of Thomas -- a plan the Reverend was thankful he had not revealed. Still, he hoped it would work.

Thomas's eyes narrowed. "So you're saying you *will not* marry us tomorrow?"

"That is correct."

"This ... 'confession' you say Dr. Quinn wants to make ... does it have anything to do with a certain incident at a hospital in Boston?"

"Mr. Bradford, I am not at liberty to say. But you are, of course, welcome to attend the meeting yourself."

Called my bluff, did she? Thomas muttered to himself. Well, we'll see about that. Aloud he said, "Perhaps I will do that. In any event, stay available. I'm sure this is just a case of 'bridal jitters'.

"I don't think so" the Reverend said evenly.

"Oh, you wait and see, Timothy. I'll wager we'll be tying the knot before the month is out." He held out a hand and the Reverend shook it reluctantly, resisting the impulse to wipe his hands on his pants immediately afterward. Thomas had behaved perfectly civilly, but there was something in his eyes ... something cold and calculating. Something frightening.

After the Reverend Johnson departed, Thomas finished his drink, consulted his pocket watch, then rose and stretched. Behind the bar, Rosie observed his behaviour with mounting dread. Sidling over to Hank she whispered desperately, "Hank! Please don't make me go with that Thomas fella t' night ... *Please*!!"

Hank wheeled on her, about to make an angry retort when he saw the look on her face. He looked beyond her to Thomas as he approached the bar. As a barkeep Hank was used to dealing with all sorts of people and he considered himself a good judge of character. Right now the only word he could think of to describe the look on the man's face was 'chilling'. Quickly he made a decision and when Thomas sidled up to the bar and slapped down a handful of coins, ordering 'Come on, Rosie!', Hank put his arm around the girl and said firmly, "Sorry. Rosie's already been spoken for t'night -- all m' girls are." Seeing the look on Thomas's face, Hank knew his decision had been a good one and he drawled, "Didn't think t' save one for ya. Thought with yer upcomin' weddin' an' all y' might have other plans ..." He leaned to whisper in Rosie's ear and with a grateful look at Hank, she scampered off. "Tell ya what, though," Hank continued, " t' show ya how sorry I am fer disappointin' ya, I'll treat ya to a glass or two o' whiskey -- from my ... ah... 'private' stock." He winked. "Special blend" As he spoke he pulled a bottle and two glasses from beneath the counter. Hank was not blind and he knew the Rev had not come in here to wish Thomas 'happy wedding'. Either Michaela had gotten cold feet or she'd gotten sense and either way he didn't want this character going out and bothering her or the kids tonight. He poured two glasses and passed one to Thomas who quickly drained it. His eyes widened and Hank grinned. "More where that came from" he said, holding up the bottle, and carrying it and his glass, he led a willing Thomas over to a nearby table.

Michaela rose early the next day and fixed breakfast for everyone before Matthew took the children to school in the wagon. Sully thought it best that she not appear in town before the meeting and she concurred. Matthew was to put a sign on the door of the clinic to the effect that she was out on a house call.

"Y' could come out to my lean to" Sully suggested. "I figure that might qualify as a 'house call'.

"Oh really?" Michaela smiled. "And just what is it that ails you, Mr. Sully?"

"Nothin' some time with you won't cure" Sully grinned, causing Michaela to blush.

As it was, they decided to stay at the homestead. Matthew had promised to remain in town, keeping an eye out for Thomas. Michaela had been afraid of what might have happened when the Reverend broke the news to him last night but Matthew had promised to warn them if he even looked as if he were headed for the homestead. She fervently hoped it wouldn't come to that.

Sully began working on some repairs while Michaela tried to catch up on chores. As she worked, she found herself glancing at Sully, watching his strong arms as he did some hammering, some measuring, working on his plans for expanding the homestead. Once he caught her looking and putting down his hammer he walked over to her, putting his hands on her shoulders, gazing deep into her eyes. "What is it?" he asked, reaching to push a strand of hair back from her face.

To her chagrin, she felt tears filling her eyes and she wiped them away with a trembling hand. "I'm sorry, Sully" she said, "it's just these last few weeks ... everything..." She could not go on.

"Shh ... it'll be all right" Sully comforted as he had so many times before.

"You don't understand, Sully ... I should have stood up to Thomas myself ... told him to go. I shouldn't have let him bully me the way he did ... I shouldn't expect other people to fight my battles for me ..."

Sully looked into her eyes, his hands on her shoulders. "Haven't I told ya there's no shame in lettin' folks help ya when ya need it?"

"I know, Sully" she admitted. "I've just felt so overwhelmed lately ... so ... so vulnerable..."

He tugged at her shoulders and she went into his arms willingly as he stroked her hair and murmured quiet words to her. She lifted her head from his shoulder and looked searchingly into his face and then -- neither could say how it happened -- their lips met in a warm and tender kiss. It seemed to go on forever and neither wanted it to end, but finally they parted, breathless, gazing at one another in wonder.

Sully was the first to find his voice. " 's gettin' close t' noon, Dr. Mike. Reckon we oughta head t' town."

Michaela, flustered, lowered her eyes briefly then looked back up and nodded. "I must admit, I'm a little nervous ..." she said in a shaky voice as she removed her apron and smoothed her hair.

Sully came up behind her. "Don't worry. It'll be all right."

"I know, Sully. I'll be fine, especially knowing you're there with me."

Sully hesitated, then said, "Dr. Mike -- I ain't gonna be able t' be there." Matthew's comin' t' take you over to th' church so I can take care of a few things first. An' ... I don't want us to be seen together just now." At Michaela's puzzled look he explained, "It's parta my plan an' it's best if ya don't know what I'm up to." Taking her hand he added, "Trust me."

She smiled shyly. "I do" she assured him as Matthew poked his head in the door to see if she was ready to go.

By noon the church was filled to bursting with curious townspeople. The Reverend called the meeting to order and told the gathering that Dr. Quinn had something she wanted to say to them. He then motioned her into the pulpit. As Michaela rose to speak, her nervousness returned. "I have something I need to say to you all" she began.

"Here we go again," Jake muttered to Hank. "Once that woman gets going, there's no shuttin' her up".

"Prob'ly got another one o' her fancy ideas for 'improvin'' things around here" Hank drawled before those around shushed them.

As Michaela began to speak she suddenly noticed Thomas Bradford standing at the back of the room, a sardonic grin on his face. She faltered and almost lost her nerve, but gathered her courage and forged ahead. She spoke quietly and sincerely, making it clear that it was through her own fault that the man had died, but not even mentioning Thomas. She concluded by saying, "If you no longer feel you can trust me as your doctor, just say the word. I'll understand".

There was silence for a few moments after she concluded her speech, then Loren spoke up in a puzzled voice, "I don't understand, Dr. Mike. Why are ya bringin' all this up now? Has it got somethin' t' do with that Thomas fella ya knew back in Boston?"

Suddenly Thomas shouldered his way to the front. He held up his hands for silence then said, "I'm afraid Dr. Quinn only gave you half the story. She didn't tell you *why* she was away from her post that night!"

"Who are you?" somebody called out.

"My name is Thomas Bradford. My father was administrator of the hospital in Boston at the time Dr. Quinn was working there. What she neglected to tell you was that the reason she left Mr. Silvestri's room that night was to have a clandestine meeting with her lover. In fact, she was seen in the hallway of the hospital in a rather ... um ... compromising position when she should have been by her patient's side!"

The room erupted into a noisy buzz of conversation. "I *knew* it! I just *knew* there was a scandal!" Mrs. Patterson's voice rang out happily. Other voices could be heard around the room -- "Always did seem kinda strange she left that fancy Boston hospital t' tend t' us" ; "Sure don't want no doctor here can't keep her mind on her work"; "What if she just took off in th' middle o' tendin' t' one o' us?"; "Jest goes t' prove y' can't trust no woman with somethin' serious like doctorin'". There was also a bit of ribald speculation as to Michaela's relationship with her male patients and Sully's name was mentioned more than once.

Michaela stood, red-faced, fighting the tears that threatened to spill over. She told herself this treatment was no more than what she deserved but she still felt her anger building when she saw Thomas smirking nearby, a knowing look upon his face. But even as the clamor rose, the Reverend strode forward crying, "Shame! Shame on all of you!" Conversation stopped abruptly as the townspeople, unused to such outbursts from their minister, looked up, startled. When the Reverend spoke again, it was in a calmer voice. "Now what Mr. Bradford told ya just now ain't exactly th' way things happened. Dr. Mike came t' me an' told me th' whole story. I didn't think it necessary for her t' bring her former" - he emphasized the word - "relationship with Mr. Bradford inta what she had ta say to us t'day. However," here he turned his look on Thomas, "perhaps we should tell everyone here who the so-called 'clandestine lover' was and exactly what part he played in that little drama back in Boston, and also what he's been up to since he came to Colorado Springs." He paused, glaring at Thomas.

"Think I'm th' one most qualified t' tell 'em that 'f it's Thomas you're talkin' about," Hank drawled, "seein's how he's been spendin' mosta his time over at my place..." Thomas reddened angrily as the women whispered and the men laughed knowingly.

Very quietly the Reverend said, "Perhaps some of you have forgotten all Dr. Mike has done for us since she came here. Look around you and think of the folks who are still with us t'day thanks t' her doctorin'. An' think, too, about your own lives -- is there anyone here who has *never* made a mistake? I don't think so. An' sometimes those mistakes can be costly. Most of you know that has certainly been true in my own life. Last of all" he concluded, "I want ya t' think about why we allowed a complete stranger t' come inta our town an' tell us lies an' half-truths about one of our own an' instead o' sendin' him on his way we welcomed and believed him. I think we each need t' search our own heart t' find why we found pure gossip more believable than th' truth."

When the Reverend had finished speaking there was a shamed silence. Then Loren spoke out, "Ahhhh ... I knew all that stuff about Dr. Mike wasn't true ..."

Jake raised an eyebrow. "That why ya kept tryin' t' pump Thomas for information?"

Grace rose and said, "I think it comes down t' a matter o' trust. Do we trust Dr. Mike or ..." her lip curled and her eyes blazed, "th' 'gentleman' from Boston?" Her voice dripped sarcasm.

"I, for one, trust Dr. Mike!" Dorothy spoke up.

"So do I!" Horace put in staunchly.

Soon, there were murmurs of assent all over the room, some forthright, some grudging but the support for Michaela was unmistakable. At last her tears spilled over but now they were tears of relief and joy rather than shame and sorrow.

The Reverend stepped forward. "I think we can *all* agree that we trust Dr. Mike. We have learned to do so over the time she has been here. I have never known her to lie, even to save herself embarrassment. I think we can also agree that we do not know you, Mr. Bradford, and therefore we don't know whether we can trust you or not". Again people were nodding and murmuring, "That's right", "He's right", "We trust Dr. Mike!"

"You see," the Reverend said, "if you tell your story we'll need to allow Dr. Mike to tell her side, as well. We all know Dr. Mike pretty well and we know what she would and would not do. Mr. Bradford, perhaps it would be best for everyone concerned if you agreed to leave Dr. Mike and her family alone!"

Thomas scowled, then cried, "All right. I'll leave you to your killer doctor! For now. But don't blame me when the same thing happens again! You never know what might happen when you have a doctor who takes up with Indians and other ..." here he gave Michaela a derisive look, " ...savages! ... You and I will talk later" he said to her in an undertone filled with meaning.

"I think you'd better leave, Mr. Bradford," the Reverend said quietly. "And just keep in mind, we take care of our own around here."

Thomas gave him an angry look but did not speak again. He looked long and hard at Michaela who returned his gaze unflinchingly, then he stalked out of the church.

The Reverend turned to the assemblage. "Well, I guess that bit of business is concluded. Now, before we adjourn, since we have everybody here, I'd like t' discuss our upcomin' social ..."

Continue